Summer talk : Who advocated in drafting Russell Wilson?

toffee

Reaction score
It took lots of guts to draft a short QB, in fact post draft reviews overwhelming laughed at Pete for drafting an undersized QB, a short running QB for that matter.

We sort of knew Pete was talked into drafting Russ, who scouted Russ, who advocated for him, and who convinced Pete to watch Russ’ game tapes?

I still give credit to Pete fir not letting his ego get in the way and took a big risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russell was Schneider’s pick in the draft and Pete’s pick on the field. He’s a great example of the two of them working well together.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
sc85sis":we101fho said:
Russell was Schneider’s pick in the draft and Pete’s pick on the field. He’s a great example of the two of them working well together.

Exactly!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3qrdi1hs said:
Yep, it was the two of them that created the perfect storm.
The Seahawks messed up by letting someone who didn't know what the hell they're doing, pass on Drafting Brett Favre when we had the chance.
Pete & John are still not getting the kudos/credit they deserve for Drafting RW, & even now days the pundits are dis'n his value to the Seahawks for the upcoming season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I know I was was extraordinarily happy when Wilson was drafted.

After that I was worried at first about how quickly he took to his feet to dodge pressure instead of following his reads. However the run/pass option worked for him and he became a lot better at making his reads. Reality of course was his Line was not protecting him very well. I can only imagine how awesome he could become if he had a lot more time to pass and once again some run support. He's pretty awesome now!

Drafting him was one of the best draft moves ever made by the team.

seabowl

Reaction score
I who admittedly knew very little of Russ in college thought he'd be another Seneca Wallace

Jville

Reaction score
seabowl":yg4nmb7m said:
I who admittedly knew very little of Russ in college thought he'd be another Seneca Wallace

Such an open and honest statement is a declaration of independence and freedom from any and all pretense and posturing. Not everyone can volunteer as much. Well done!

Happy Independence Day!

In my case, I had minimum awareness of Russell Wilson in the days leading up to the draft and nothing in the way of prediction after the fact ..... only intrigue. But, that's just as well since I enjoy surprises and unfolding stories.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I must confess that I didn't know anything about Russ before he was drafted, taken aback when Pete picked him, and disturbed post draft under the influence of 100% negative reviews and predictions by national experts.

The joy when Russ started to perform and excel was incomparable, even ahead of Walsh's drafting of Montana which was quite controversial if not as much so as Russ, (disclosure: I was a 9ers fan in Walsh and Seifert days.)

Any information on who scouted Russ for the Hawks?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
toffee":27d6tmzb said:
Based on what I recall at the time, I believe that it was John Schneider and he alone.

John earned his spurs in the Packers organization as a college talent evaluator under Ron Wolff.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3pfbo5i6 said:
toffee":3pfbo5i6 said:
Based on what I recall at the time, I believe that it was John Schneider and he alone.

John earned his spurs in the Packers organization as a college talent evaluator under Ron Wolff.

One can said John single handedly changed the fortune of the Hawks with that draft. Can't imagine what the record would be without Russ in the past 2 seasons.

Seafan

Reaction score
Listening to Brock and Salk is what got me excited about the Hawks possibly drafting RW. Only two draft picks in recent memory was I sure about. When the Army Sgt went to the podium with the 75th pick I knew he was going to announce RW. The same way I fully expected the Hawks to select Shaquem with their first pick in the 5th round.

mrblitz

Reaction score
Kearly and a few of the others here on this board were fairly big advocates for Russell. I'd not heard of Russell, but upon reading some of those posts in the NCAA forum here, the pick made sense (looking forward at the time running up to that draft). Without having heard of Wilson, my first choice were Nick Foles; because it appeared that a) he had the measurables and b) he was going to be a later pick; not a 1st round guy.

Anyway, by the time the draft arrived, I were pleased as punch that they drafted Wilson.

From an armchair GM standpoint, it's nice to see Foles pan out, too.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't really follow college football but once we drafted Wilson I took a look and was really excited to see him play. Particularly because I wasn't all that enamoured with Flynn.

By the time training camp came around and reports that Wilson was stamping his authority in the huddle and putting the likes of T.O. in his place I could tell we had something special, and all it took was the opening preseason tilt against the Titans to be certain.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":1npz5exh said:
Well we were looking at Tannehill also...…………….
So....? Tannehill is a successful QB in his own right. He certainly isn't Russell Wilson, but that doesn't mean he is some bum. He's been surrounded by bad talent, and management in Miami and still looks like a competent QB. He has his moments of bad play, but we could have done much worse than Tannehill.

Objectively he was a better pick than Weeden, Griffin, Foles, and Osweiler. That is half of the 8 QB's taken in the 2012 NFL. We had a 50/50 shot at drafting a complete bum, and the two QB's that were potentially obtainable on our draft board became either decent, or top 3 at their respective division. Schneider was pretty on point here with the Quarterbacks.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I am hoping John’s QB pick this year will also turn into a future star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

Having said that I have to be honest that I didn't think Russell was likely to become the kind of player that he is today, and has been for the past three years. Thank goodness Schneider locked in on him and convinced Pete that he was the guy!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2qk3fij8 said:
As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

Having said that I have to be honest that I didn't think Russell was likely to become the kind of player that he is today, and has been for the past three years. Thank goodness Schneider locked in on him and convinced Pete that he was the guy!

No one saw that coming, certainly NONE of the experts. Salute to John for finding and recommending him, salute to Pete for drafting him. Both knew that they would be crucified by national media for drafting Russ, and they did. Got to remember it was at the stage when Pete and John didn't really have job security. Pete was supposed to be not good for NFL, a college coach. John wasn't a household name, finding, recommending, and drafting the "obviously" wrong QB would be a huge minus on John resume.

Both Pete and John got balls.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I really didn't know who he was so I was ambivalent about drafting him. Then I watched his first game against KC and never looked back.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Schneider was the impetus behind picking RW. During the draft JS was crapping his pants worrying about losing RW. The FO team even had a fierce discussion about picking Wilson in the 2nd round as John wanted him badly and was worried about him getting picked elsewhere before the team could pick again. Pete won the discussion, and the team got a very good player with the second round pick. The middle of the team suddenly got strong.

Latest posts