Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Ghosts of Cables Past?? (JR Sweezy back in town)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • Yeah, people freaked when he left, turned out to be a smart move. But, he's so injury prone it's hard to assume he would somehow stay healthy.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9275
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Image
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23930
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am
  • Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 am
  • Jville wrote:Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.


    Well that is wonderful if you are trying to save the planet. But putting together an NFL roster, I'd prefer to not turn our salary cap into charity work myself.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.


    Well that is wonderful if you are trying to save the planet. But putting together an NFL roster, I'd prefer to not turn our salary cap into charity work myself.


    Your inference is of your own making. It has nothing to do with the post.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.


    Well that is wonderful if you are trying to save the planet. But putting together an NFL roster, I'd prefer to not turn our salary cap into charity work myself.


    Your inference is of your own making. It has nothing to do with the post.


    If it doesn't, then "always striving to help others" has nothing to do with the topic of possibly signing Sweezy then.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.


    Well that is wonderful if you are trying to save the planet. But putting together an NFL roster, I'd prefer to not turn our salary cap into charity work myself.


    Your inference is of your own making. It has nothing to do with the post.


    If it doesn't, then "always striving to help others" has nothing to do with the topic of possibly signing Sweezy then.


    Due diligence and consulting.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • It would be sad if Sweezy, in his current health state, could beat out one of our designated starters. Pocic and Fluker vs Sweezy?

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 732
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • To my knowledge, there have been no published reports or results from his most recent Seahawk physical.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • I'm concerned about Fluker and Pocic, so I would appreciate the competition at right guard if Sweezy is healthy.

    Sweezy bulldozed some nice holes during his time here. Not sure why you wouldn't sign him (if healthy) for the vet min.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1466
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • hawknation2018 wrote:I'm concerned about Fluker and Pocic, so I would appreciate the competition at right guard if Sweezy is healthy.

    Sweezy bulldozed some nice holes during his time here. Not sure why you wouldn't sign him (if healthy) for the vet min.


    Could Sweezy more of a finesse zone guy?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 732
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • it's one thing to give sweezy the look-over and physical, but another to sign him if he's hurt. so, what i took from the discussion was that vmac will gladly help players and consult with them; but on the other hand, the seahawks won't be signing charity cases. it's kind of a paradox; seahawks are really interested in personal development and health issues, but by the same token, they've usually been fairly quick to cut ties when a player's abilities begin to wane. ymmv
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1349
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm


  • No no and no. Dude would completely wiff every other play.
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    User avatar
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 895
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:42 am
    Location: New Jersey


  • I could not stand Sweezy. However, if he's healthy, and that's a HUGE if, and takes the vet minimum, he's likely the best right guard on the roster.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3709
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Well that is wonderful if you are trying to save the planet. But putting together an NFL roster, I'd prefer to not turn our salary cap into charity work myself.


    Amen
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • I believe Sweezy will be a Raider not a Seahawk when it's all said and done. Probably a better fit for him to be under Cable anyways. Sweezy was hugging the ground a lot during his Seahawk days. Yes, he had the occasional power block but more times than not he was diving. He can work on his dive technique under Cable's watch.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7105
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:I believe Sweezy will be a Raider not a Seahawk when it's all said and done. Probably a better fit for him to be under Cable anyways. Sweezy was hugging the ground a lot during his Seahawk days. Yes, he had the occasional power block but more times than not he was diving. He can work on his dive technique under Cable's watch.


    Agree. Speaking of "Cable's watch", I think Gruden is about to find out how out of touch he has gotten working for ESPthen.

    Image
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • It would appear "ridicule" is the ulterior motive and purpose for initiating this thread.

    Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to the practitioners advantage ..... per Saul David Alinsky.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • hawkfan68 wrote:I believe Sweezy will be a Raider not a Seahawk when it's all said and done. Probably a better fit for him to be under Cable anyways. Sweezy was hugging the ground a lot during his Seahawk days. Yes, he had the occasional power block but more times than not he was diving. He can work on his dive technique under Cable's watch.


    At least Sweezy seemed to be somewhat competent at cut blocks. He hit more than he missed and many had devastating effect, unlike Cable's latest efforts (cue 0/5 cut blocks image).
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1746
    Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 pm
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Jville wrote:It would appear "ridicule" is the ulterior motive and purpose for initiating this thread.

    Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to the practitioners advantage ..... per Saul David Alinsky.


    How many Lombardi's does Saul have again?

    Back on topic please before I go complain to your Uncle Albert. :mrgreen: :twisted: :snack:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Jville’s point was obvious.

    Sweezy is an experienced NFL Guard, our FO office checks out any player they think could help the team. The team in fact wanted to keep Sweezy before he left for a big contract that didn’t work out in Tampa b/c of injury. What’s wrong with having an experienced player you know brings his lunch pail and is prepared to work hard back to see if he is healthy? Sweezy was an interesting developmental conversion victory for Cable, one of his very few successes here. If he checks out suddenly the pile gets deeper at OG if the price is right.

    Is the player worth bringing in for a look? I’d say yes. Is the player worth paying big money to at present? Nope! However, finding a motivated and experienced player worth making the roster could be. It will depend on his health and the money he wants.

    It is possible to have a convo around here w/o it disintegrating into ad hominem.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Yes Jammer, I got the point. I just don't care for the Hare Krishna football approach personally. I find the topic interesting because it brings to question the old vs the new and Cable guys vs Solari guys....not "ridicule is the ulterior motive" as accused because of one silly watch picture. :roll:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Got that, however there is no need for any of us to be acerbic in response. We are all supposed to be friends here. Hare Krishna, etc. notwithstanding.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • I would agree that we all have a common interest. I would agree that we all need to be civil and attempt to get along. I would strongly disagree that we all are suppose to be friends. To me a friend is someone you could trust with sensitive personal information and is there when you need them. Try trusting that to a message board. Been there and burned by that by a mod here even.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • OK, with more precision in my language we need to be friendly here and avoid ad hominem, though I get your point.

    Posts can be intelligent but they don't need to be personal. Frankly looking back on Sweezy, I suspect he is the only real success of the whole Cable period here and that sure isn't saying much.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Let's all agree to disagree in a gentlemanly manner? oh heck, gentlemanly and lady like manner.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 732
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • Agreed!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • toffee wrote:Let's all agree to disagree in a gentlemanly manner? oh heck, gentlemanly and lady like manner.


    Agreed!

    Heck....even Ted Bundy was a gentleman 95% of the time. :D :2thumbs: :twisted:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4705
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • Makes sense. He's in no hurry for minimum offers and time may get him a better deal. Seems like we have enough competition at guard then to reach on paying him much more considering his recent injury history. Those type of Joekel, Webb, Sowell moves are a part of what got us into the hole we are in and force you to let other decent prospects walk (Irvin, Tate, Hauschka...ect)
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Watching JVILLE and SEYMOUR go back in forth is hilarious.. You have the most optimistic vs pessimistic posters head to head. 8)
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2040
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


  • lukerguy wrote:Watching JVILLE and SEYMOUR go back in forth is hilarious.. You have the most optimistic vs pessimistic posters head to head. 8)


    In all fairness, my pessimism usually subsides once I get away from Cable and Oline topics. 8)
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4760
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:Let's all agree to disagree in a gentlemanly manner? oh heck, gentlemanly and lady like manner.


    Agreed!

    Heck....even Ted Bundy was a gentleman 95% of the time. :D :2thumbs: :twisted:


    Bundy and gentlemen do not belong in the same sentence; however, I’ll agree that Bundy knew now to charm women.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 732
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm



  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:It would appear "ridicule" is the ulterior motive and purpose for initiating this thread.

    Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to the practitioners advantage ..... per Saul David Alinsky.


    How many Lombardi's does Saul have again?

    Back on topic please before I go complain to your Uncle Albert. :mrgreen: :twisted: :snack:


    What, did JVille "offend" some ridicule practitioners? Is this now supposed to be a "Safe Space" where free ridicule is allowed, but pointing out when/how/why ridicule is being used is now an "ad hominem" "thought crime"?

    Hell, I thought the Alinsky reference was humorous and a great reminder for all of us to THINK and not just knee jerk react emotionally when we get "triggered". Not that anyone has EVER gotten triggered and responded in a knee-jerk emotional way on .NET. Now if we could just get <insert favorite hothead Seahawks player name here> to THINK instead of emotionally react in the moment, that could reduce the stupid, needless personally foul penalties. Be smart and get your retaliation "message" in under the radar later.

    If ridicule was the motive for the thread, more power to Seymour. I was really just an "invitation" to ridicule (if so inclined), with supplying actual ridicule left as an exercise to subsequent posters.

    The broken watch picture... awesome. Will fo sho be entertaining to follow the Gruden/Cable storyline and how badly the Raiders O-Line sucks this season, how bad their running game sucks, how many times Derek Carr gets pulverized, and whether Carr can start double-digit games before he gets injured due to Cable's (anticipated) crap O-Line.

    Shocking thought--what if Cable's O-line defies all predictions, and has a steamrolling running game and Carr starts all 16 games and lights it up as MVP? What will we say then--do we have to rewrite Cable's story here, and say he was a suppressed genius hamstrung by (choose your favorite/combo of/add your own) Pete/lack of talented players/Darrel Bevell's poor play calling/Seattle rain & Seasonal Affective Disorder) ?

    I do hope Sweezy has something left in the tank. He was an important part of the SB48 Champions team. It's always sweet to see Pete and John pull off a successful bargain-basement reclamation project. I have no bets either way on Sweezy, but I'm rooting for him. Why not him? - Russell Wilson (paraphrase)

    In summary, both the Alinsky reference and the Cable/Gruden mocking were awesome, funny & also thought provoking, positive contributions to this thread. "Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1936
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • Indeed ..... the thread title was far from being an obscure or clever cover for actual intent and topic. It was more like a big neon sign and invitation to regurgitate and trash familiar punching bags.

    Amusing addiction.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7478
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Ghosts of Cables Past??
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm
  • Jville wrote:Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

    JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

    With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

    There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.


    I agree, nothing wrong with kicking the tires and checking it out. I would be more upset if they did not check him out.
    User avatar
    Hawk1217
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 135
    Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am


  • I see no use for him. He was a useful puzzle piece back then but now is now.
    User avatar
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1005
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 am


  • Oakland has three all star interior linemen, Donald Penn has been really good but is getting old, and they drafted a project RT. That line's talent blows ours out of the water. If their quality of play declines, it will be a damming indictment on Cable. If they play well, it doesn't necessarily mean Cable did a great job.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2404
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Rumor has it that Sweezy is not hearing the kind of numbers he’d like from the Hawks — which once again goes to show ya: it ain’t easy being Sweezy!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 544
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


  • adeltaY wrote:Oakland has three all star interior linemen, Donald Penn has been really good but is getting old, and they drafted a project RT. That line's talent blows ours out of the water. If their quality of play declines, it will be a damming indictment on Cable. If they play well, it doesn't necessarily mean Cable did a great job.


    I did not know that, about the Raiders having 3 all-star OL guys... which guys and were their Pro-Bowl years all recent, last year or two?
    By the way, I'm sure you know you will need to get used to writing "Las Vegas Raiders". Personally, I skipped right over the whole "LA Raiders" thing. "Vegas Raiders" I can get my head around because it seems to fit.

    If Cable's line and the Raiders O has a down year, that pretty much seals it that Cable was the problem here.
    If the Raiders line plays well Cable will no doubt get the credit. It was all flippin' Bevell, sabotaging Cable's genius with idiot playcalls.

    Can't you just see it, Bevell explaining the play to the O-Line: "Guys everyone take 3 steps right, fake a cut block, then FALL FLAT ON THE GROUND without even making contact. The defense will NEVER expect that! They'll be so confused they'll freeze, look for a screen play, and meantime, Russell will throw the bomb deep to our tackle-eligible Right Tackle, who got up and is now streaking down the field! They'll NEVER see this coming!!

    OK, so that play didn't work as drawn up, any of the 15 times Bevell called it. We just need a faster right tackle.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1936
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • Pro bowls aren't the best metric, if you recall, Sherman didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2012 despite leading the league in INTs and being a beast.

    Rodney Hudson has been the best pass-protecting center in the league the past couple of seasons: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ss-blocker

    Kelechi Osemele was a first team all pro in 2016 (pro bowls in 2016 and 2017) and Gabe Jackson has played really well. Overall their interior line lacks accolades, besides Osemele, but film guys seem to agree they are really good. Stats also back it up for them overall. The OL overall was third in pass block efficiency last year https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... efficiency

    They were #1 in pass protection in 2016 per FO: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2016

    The talent is there and they've protected Carr really well in the past. If they are healthy and can't continue to do so, I don't know how Cable has any staying power.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2404
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • If he passed physical then likely we made him a minimum offer (because that’s all we can accommodate) and he’s checking around for a better offer.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4049
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • adeltaY wrote:Pro bowls aren't the best metric"...
    Then proceeds to make the case...
    "Rodney Hudson has been the best pass-protecting center in the league...
    Kelechi Osemele was a first team all pro in 2016 (pro bowls in 2016 and 2017)...
    Gabe Jackson has played really well...
    OL overall was third in pass block efficiency last year https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... efficiency
    They were #1 in pass protection in 2016 per FO: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2016
    ....
    The talent is there and they've protected Carr really well in the past. If they are healthy and can't continue to do so, I don't know how Cable has any staying power.


    Thank you, excellent information. I've heard the assertion the Raiders have a really good OL, just never seen the case for them.

    If Cable screws that up... there goes his "OL Guru" label. Will be fascinating to monitor. Cable personally seems to be a genuinely good guy, so I'm not really "rooting" one way or the other, other than the "truth" to come out, whatever that is. Clearly the CaBevell-Schneiroll monster was highly dysfunctional here. I have to include PC & JS from the talent acquisition standpoint.

    From the CaBevell-Schneiroll OL factory juggernaut, Sweezy would qualify as "sort-of" success story, because he got a nice 2nd contract but ultimately underperformed it, injuries, etc., and thus Tampa is giving up on Sweezy only 2 seasons into his 5 year $32M contract. I think just becoming a legit NFL offensive lineman for a few years has to qualify as a success story, given Sweezy's starting point.

    The oft-maligned James Carpenter seems to be the top success story from Seattle's OL factory juggernaut. The Jets appear to love Carpenter, see https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/6/ ... nsive-line. From 2015 to 2017, Carpenter started all 16 games each season at left guard for Jets.

    Maybe Kristjan Sokoli is still available for Cable to finish his conversion?
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1936
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am




It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online