Kam salary cap question

poly1274

Reaction score
So how much money do we save? In terms of him retiring and if he was still on the active roster. Also will the FO try and collect some if his $$ back?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Nothing, since he is not actually retiring. Just physically unable to play. He has injury guarantees in his contract and will ride that out for the next two years on IR. Terrible contract by John.

Also just a weird situation, do they tell him he just doesn’t even have to be around? Or will he still come to vmac and games, unless he is coaching (which he has no obligation to do) he is just a distraction.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
All of his salary in 2018 is guaranteed and a little over half in 2019 is guaranteed. The team can't go after any of his signing bonus. At some point (probably next February) the Seahawks will release him just like they did with Cliff Avril.

Expect him to spend 2018 on injured reserve.

He does have $500,000 in game-day roster bonuses in 2018 that the team will save.

Good for him and his agent to negotiate a contract extension last year that protected him from just this situation. I know it seems as fans we want all the money issues to just go away, but Kam deserved to be protected and I'm happy for him that he leaves his NFL career with his finances secured.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hey Hawk Finn, this is a little more than business as usual. I agree that the cap needs to be disccused but your dismissivness to a player that has served us well is disheartnening. Try not to be so calus businessman.

seabowl

Reaction score
This is an interesting scenario. The team wanted to resign Kam a few years back but I'm sure was concerned about his age and health in giving a long term guaranteed $ type of deal. They also must have been concerned about rewarding him now for past contributions.

This maybe a case of lesson learned for future deals.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawks could release him or place him on the retirement list just to save a roster spot on the 90 man. No cap relief.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His agent did a great job for him, and the team is a man down for a year, for cap reasons.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam didn't plan this and his agent did a great job, Kam earned it.

If we're going to have a year that we have lower cap room this is it while we develop guys, I tend to think Kam will be involved somehow with the team as a secondary coach or something and they may hire him, he is so young and loves the game and is a great teacher from what I have read. Pete has a history of treating guys in his situation well, Kris Richard comes to mind. At least if they can't have his body they still get his mind.

SeaChat

Reaction score
chris98251":3l1nz9sw said:
Kam didn't plan this and his agent did a great job, Kam earned it.

If we're going to have a year that we have lower cap room this is it while we develop guys, I tend to think Kam will be involved somehow with the team as a secondary coach or something and they may hire him, he is so young and loves the game and is a great teacher from what I have read. Pete has a history of treating guys in his situation well, Kris Richard comes to mind. At least if they can't have his body they still get his mind.
Ditto! What he said.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
What does Paul Allen think about this? Is JS mismanaging his money.

This isn't the first time the Hawks had to eat a players contract.

Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin lasted, what a year, year and half, so they paid all the guaranteed $$$ before the contract expired. And the team decided not to ask Beastmode for his guaranteed $$$ back when he announced his retirement. Now, we have the BamBam injury guarantees.

Man, glad JS isn't a financial advisor or money manager.....

stang233

Reaction score
What are the rules like if he retires and we hire as a coach. Let him retire rben pay him 5 mil tp coach. Lol

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2qxu9mtr said:
What does Paul Allen think about this?

I'd imagine he's concentrating more on the Seahawks being the most successful team in the NFC in the last 5 years.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkstorian":al0htw24 said:
Good for him and his agent to negotiate a contract extension last year that protected him from just this situation. I know it seems as fans we want all the money issues to just go away, but Kam deserved to be protected and I'm happy for him that he leaves his NFL career with his finances secured.

Agreed!

Reaction score
Anyone have details on the total cost?

It's $14,300,000 for the signing bonus and fully guaranteed money, plus another $5.2 million from 2019 in injury guarantees, right? So $19.5 million total?

That's a big pill to swallow.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1qj90jix said:
What does Paul Allen think about this? Is JS mismanaging his money.

This isn't the first time the Hawks had to eat a players contract.

Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin lasted, what a year, year and half, so they paid all the guaranteed $$$ before the contract expired. And the team decided not to ask Beastmode for his guaranteed $$$ back when he announced his retirement. Now, we have the BamBam injury guarantees.

Man, glad JS isn't a financial advisor or money manager.....
I would venture Mr Allen is involved in every major decision of the team.

Latest posts