Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Kam Announces Retirement

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Kam Announces Retirement
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 am
  • "Assuming Kam Chancellor isn't letting Seattle off the hook for the $5.2M 2019 injury guarantee, he'll likely spend this season on PUP. Seattle would have $9.3M & $10.2M cap charges this year & next. It's $14.5M & $5M by cutting him this year. The 2019 guarantee would accelerate."

Cringe..........................Morons in Hawks front office agreeing to this god awful contract. Just like Earl now don't pay for what a player was in the past. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 am
  • So, they are magically supposed to know when a guy is going to have a fluke neck injury that ends his career? It's clearly the fault of the front office that Kam and Avril had to retire. :?
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 am
  • Been a Seahawks fan since the first whistle of that first game. I think every Hawk to put on the uniform has left blood, sweat and tears on the field, but few to the extent of Kam. When his draft selection was announced, I got chills, because I knew he was going to be something special. God, how I will miss watching him. Thanks for everything Kam!! Thanks for helping bring the Lombardi home to us 12's.

"Out there in the spotlight you're a million miles away
    Every ounce of energy you try to give away
    As the sweat pours out your body like the music that you play"

You played sweet, sweet music Kam.

Sadly, now it's time to turn the page.
    fifty9fan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 am
  • RCATES wrote:. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

They did learn, Kam is EXACTLY why Richard's gone, and Earl isn't getting his monster extension. They're done paying players for past performance.............as it should be.

I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time next to Kenny Easley. But I don't really understand his vague Twitter announcement.

He's not "retiring," because that means losing millions of his salary. I guess it's just confirming what we all knew anyway, that he's 100% done playing? Idk, this isn't really anything groundbreaking. We knew he wasn't playing, and we know he's not going to give up millions. So..................
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:19 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RCATES wrote:. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

They did learn, Kam is EXACTLY why Richard's gone, and Earl isn't getting his monster extension. They're done paying players for past performance.............as it should be.

I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time next to Kenny Easley. But I don't really understand his vague Twitter announcement.

He's not "retiring," because that means losing millions of his salary. I guess it's just confirming what we all knew anyway, that he's 100% done playing? Idk, this isn't really anything groundbreaking. We knew he wasn't playing, and we know he's not going to give up millions. So..................

He is letting people know his medical condition is not improving and there is no hope as many were holding hope still. He cannot go further (actually retire) without giving money away so he has restrictions on what all he can say.
    I think he just wanted to say goodbye as he is struggling with no more football and it will help him to let go and move forward. The weird thing is he will be like Ichiro now, still around but not really able to contribute (on the field).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 am
  • Having him around could still be a very good influence on the team. I'm hoping he considers a role on the coaching staff, on some level.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:So, they are magically supposed to know when a guy is going to have a fluke neck injury that ends his career? It's clearly the fault of the front office that Kam and Avril had to retire. :?

Like usual you're missing the point. First they gave him too much money. Second they were dumb to give a aging player injury guarantee's in his contract. Those guarantee's will handicap this teams ability to sign impact players for the next two years. Of course Kam isn't going to retire and lose out on money the Hawks dumb contract they gave him. Many of you forget this is the guy who held out a few years back screwing over this team. Now he's just doing it again. I say good riddance.
    Last edited by RCATES on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 am
  • :yawn:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 am
  • Or one could argue that is we were not sanding our defense down repeatedly with a worthless offense for a full half - we wouldn't have overused our defense to the point where tired/overused defensive players get injured.

It feels interesting to see people worried about how much he was going to cost for laying himself out in doing his job for our team, and then getting injured in the process.

And to imply the team was stupid in extending him? Given how this team went on losing streaks repeatedly without him - they probably felt they had no choice. He was one of the most important players for this offense (not a typo).

Also, you don't pay people for past performance, then you are showing that loyalty is a one-way street.

Kam produced at the highest levels while being severely underpaid. He then watched a bundle of guys that were absolute garbage get large contracts while noting they produced largely nothing right afterward. Instead of worrying about the money they were paying Kam, maybe focus your ire on the stupidity of signings like the CB that should not be named and Harvin. Those guys chewed up as much if not more than Kam's signing.

Kam jeopardized himself and his career for this team. He could have easily taken the safe route and pulled himself out of the Green Bay game instead of playing hurt through it. He didn't. Even though it very likely exacerbated his injury.

He produced and literally wore himself down while supporting a defense that kept our worthless offense in games for YEARS.

Without Kam, we do not make both SuperBowls. That alone is enough to be thankful for his time here. He earned that money because he did something as a Seahawk that few Seahawks (even the greatest ones) could ever do - he significantly contributed to the difference that got us to the SuperBowl and won one.

Complain all you want about his cap hit, but he earned it. And this team will have to figure out how to win with an offense now. It will become very clear the difference Kam made, very quickly. (If the string of losses during the holdout did not make it clear already).
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RCATES wrote:. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

He is letting people know his medical condition is not improving and there is no hope as many were holding hope still. He cannot go further (actually retire) without giving money away so he has restrictions on what all he can say.
    I think he just wanted to say goodbye as he is struggling with no more football and it will help him to let go and move forward. The weird thing is he will be like Ichiro now, still around but not really able to contribute (on the field).

Fair enough. I'm not mad at Kam, but this is 100% what most people predicted on both the injury news and contract news, so it's not really big news other than he's making it official.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 am
  • Indeed, the Kam statement was confirmation of what has been telegraphed for some time.

Strong Safety trivia .........

Kenny Easley was the prefered starter in all 7 years he played before being forced to leave the field.
    Kam Chancellor was the prefered starter in 7 of the 8 years he played before forced to leave the field.

Maybe there is something to the idea of counting cumulative hits for starting strong safeties. Maybe, in hindsight, it should be a factor in determining the risk of a third "starting" contract.

But in the end, one places their bets and takes their chances ....... free will and all ...... as it should be.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 am
  • This is not a surprise. This was very much expected. We all held on to the tiny bit of hope but knew. I'm sure the FO will deal with the cap as best they can.

Thank you, Kam. You will most certainly be missed on the field.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am
  • Sanders and Polomalu also had to leave the game due to wear and tear, they both stuck around a bit longer but still there is enough information to be able to predict what hard hitting Safeties can take and contracts.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am
  • Could a settlement help with the cap? Strange to have a legendary NFL player famous for big hits go down from a hit no one saw.
    Last edited by brimsalabim on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:18 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:Could a settlement help with the cap?

If he officially retires yes, but the settlement would need to work for him, 10 million or so is a lot to give up, not sure playing nice guy is going to get him that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 am
  • :{(

I’ve always said.....

I root for the Seahawks.
    Doesn’t matter who the players are, or who the coaches are.

This player will be missed by me, and will be on my all time “Favs” list.

Funny (strange) how this “stings” a bit in my soul.

To #31, should you happen to read this.....

.....Thank You.
    Thank you for your service.
    Know that you are many of the 12th Man’s favorite.
    You, and your presence will be missed.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am
  • There is a thread regarding his cap situation here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=147014

Let's try to keep the two separate.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:19 pm
  • Nice testimonial from Brandon Mebane ...........

Mebane also explained Chancellor’s vital role to the defense, one especially suited to his body type and athleticism.

“He was very intimidating to a lot of teams, because if you look at the defense, Kam would be in the box. And when Kam is in the box, Kam is the unblocked player,” Mebane said. “And so you can’t really account for him. It was pretty hard to block that eighth person because say, like, if you singled me or somebody on the defensive line and you try to go up to (Chancellor), then you’re probably going to get a tackle for loss. So you’ve got to pick your poison: are you going to get a tackle for loss or maybe try to get a four or five yard gain and hope he don’t read it and come up like a linebacker at safety. Those are some of the great things that Kam did … When you see defenses spread throughout the NFL, you see a lot of coaches (try) to mimic and have the type of guy in the box that’s like him. It’s going to be hard to try to replace that type of player.”
    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/480353/brandon-mebane-explains-kam-chancellors-unique-role-in-hawks-defense/

EDIT: Many anticipate Kam will mentor, coach and breakdown film while on the physically unable to perform list.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:19 pm
  • Jville wrote:Nice testimonial from Brandon Mebane ...........

Mebane also explained Chancellor’s vital role to the defense, one especially suited to his body type and athleticism.

“He was very intimidating to a lot of teams, because if you look at the defense, Kam would be in the box. And when Kam is in the box, Kam is the unblocked player,” Mebane said. “And so you can’t really account for him. It was pretty hard to block that eighth person because say, like, if you singled me or somebody on the defensive line and you try to go up to (Chancellor), then you’re probably going to get a tackle for loss. So you’ve got to pick your poison: are you going to get a tackle for loss or maybe try to get a four or five yard gain and hope he don’t read it and come up like a linebacker at safety. Those are some of the great things that Kam did … When you see defenses spread throughout the NFL, you see a lot of coaches (try) to mimic and have the type of guy in the box that’s like him. It’s going to be hard to try to replace that type of player.”
    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/480353/brandon-mebane-explains-kam-chancellors-unique-role-in-hawks-defense/

EDIT: Many anticipate Kam will mentor, coach and breakdown film while on the physically unable to perform list.

This is what I hope for too. Mentor from him would greatly enhance our team's capability.
    :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm
  • Kam was a special player. He was this era's Jack Tatum. He put a licking on players. The biggest thing he brought was toughness. He set the tone with his hits. That is what built the character of the physical Seahawk defense. That is going to be sorely missed.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:03 am
  • I think what is really important here is does Vernon Davis get his soul back or does Kam keep it for all of eternity? Maybe it is at Kam's discretion to give it back?

Love ya and gonna miss ya BAM BAM. :irishdrinkers:

Go Hawks!!!
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information