Kam?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There’s unfortunately no new news.

Doubt we know until camp starts, and then it may still be no news or bad news.

Tical21

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ic1dyyb said:
There’s unfortunately no new news.

Doubt we know until camp starts, and then it may still be no news or bad news.
He done. McDougald has been basically talking about him in the past tense. He's lost a lot of weight. I'm not sure what the contract situation is. If he retires now, he can't get his guaranteed money for this season? My guess is something involved with that process is delaying the news.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love Kam like most of you do but there is no way he is coming back. Remember that photo someone posted a month or so back showing what he looked like a few years ago (in his prime) versus what he looks like now?

Yeah, he's done. A true warrior who gave his all to this team but unfortunately his style of play prohibits him continuing in that capacity based on his neck injury.

original poster

Reaction score
He has (or had) a scan this month which should determine if he can play or not.

I suspect it's all just part of the process so he can continue getting paid, though.

HawkGA

Reaction score
He's guaranteed to get paid, per the contract, right? I suspect it is more of a "no sense in deciding until he actually needs to decide" and that won't come until this season is over. I'm sure he's not playing this season so we'll know more in February maybe.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkGA":32zoxhe0 said:
He's guaranteed to get paid, per the contract, right? I suspect it is more of a "no sense in deciding until he actually needs to decide" and that won't come until this season is over. I'm sure he's not playing this season so we'll know more in February maybe.

He won’t get paid if he site out. There is a certain number of games he can sit before the whole year would be deemed forfeited and not counted (ie he would need to play the year after instead)

homerun1970

Reaction score
mikeak":1ncxw3ac said:
HawkGA":1ncxw3ac said:

He won’t get paid if he site out. There is a certain number of games he can sit before the whole year would be deemed forfeited and not counted (ie he would need to play the year after instead)

My understanding is Kam's contract contains injury guarantees. If he was on a hold out this would be correct as in Earl's case. Earl holding out can not only toll his year but get him fined and lose game checks. Kam is going to get paid for the year unless they injury settle or he decides to retire and give up millions. (not likely)

HawkGA

Reaction score
homerun1970":cbznub0f said:
mikeak":cbznub0f said:
HawkGA":cbznub0f said:

My understanding is Kam's contract contains injury guarantees. If he was on a hold out this would be correct as in Earl's case. Earl holding out can not only toll his year but get him fined and lose game checks. Kam is going to get paid for the year unless they injury settle or he decides to retire and give up millions. (not likely)

Or if he gets medically cleared and decides not to play . . . but that's quite unlikely.

Reaction score
mikeak":1afkxkwp said:
HawkGA":1afkxkwp said:

Yes he does. His contract has a SHITLOAD of guarantees plus massive injury guarantees. Dude is getting paid regardless. He's going to be a huge cap hit this year and next year without ever playing another snap.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
King Dog":259p2k9o said:
I just assume Malik and Kam are done at this point.

I believe you assume correct.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you have seen Kam recently, you can tell he lost weight/muscle.

It's a telling sign, he is not able to play, otherwise why would he drop much needed mass?

chris98251

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":21x0lnjz said:
If you have seen Kam recently, you can tell he lost weight/muscle.

It's a telling sign, he is not able to play, otherwise why would he drop much needed mass?

Because he is unable to work out lifting and everything requires straining your neck muscles etc.

Reaction score
mikeak":3rpijlh8 said:
HawkGA":3rpijlh8 said:

I actually went and looked it up and it's even worse than I thought. If he gets cut, they actually owe him MORE money than his current dead money cap hit because acceleration of all the guaranteed money.

It costs an extra $5 million against the cap to cut him right now. Holy cow was his extension a huge mistake.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Huge mistake? Sure, if you look at it after the fact. So was the trade for Richardson, and the FA signing of Joeckel. In the end you can’t predict the type of injury Kam suffered. Yes, it sucks when both the player and the team would want him to still play.

All this does for me is point out how difficult it is to be an NFL GM and to keep a competitive team together. Forget the personalities and pot stirring types like Sherman, just keeping a healthy group of guys you truly want to keep is tough enough. Those injuries to Kam and Cliff Avril were freak injuries and unfortunate you know the team would probably want both on the field rather than having to deal with payouts on guarantees in contracts or injury payouts. Both players will be missed but NFL careers are short and the new guys will soon make Kam a memory unless his recovery is miraculous. I will miss him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Aros":1wftsmwq said:
King Dog":1wftsmwq said:
I just assume Malik and Kam are done at this point.

I believe you assume correct.

Well, there is one possibility I haven't seen floated around at this point, and that would be IR. On IR, they could obviously bring him back later in the season, if he can play. That is, seeing how they will be paying him, anyway. Pretty sure on IR, he wouldn't go against the 53, right?