Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Jon tells John... "I'm going to make you look really dumb"

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• I like the confidence, but I highly doubt he beats out the kid. He'll probably end up on another team regardless.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Always loved The Ginga Ninja. I am rooting for him.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Always loved The Ginga Ninja. I am rooting for him.

That is the dilemma right there. Root for Ryan to pull through (he is the last surviving pre Carroll Seahawk left) , or hope Dickson proves to be the huge weapon that he's been hyped to be. We know what we have in Ryan, so I'll have to hope Dickson is the new Thunderfoot, and makes him look silly personally.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Always comPete!!
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:LOL.
    Gotta love this guys spunk. But if last year is any indication, I think not personally.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/after-seahawks-draft-punter-jon-ryan-tells-gm-im-going-to-make-you-look-really-dumb/

"If you let me, I'm going to compete my ass off, harder than you've ever seen," Ryan told Schneider. "I love you. I have so much respect for you. But one way or the other, I'm going to make you look really dumb."

Yeahhhhhhh, I saw this earlier today. Unless Ryan takes a pay cut, I don't see him getting taken over our fifth round pick of one of (if not the best) punter in this year's draft.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

• jmahon316 wrote:
    Yeahhhhhhh, I saw this earlier today. Unless Ryan takes a pay cut, I don't see him getting taken over our fifth round pick of one of (if not the best) punter in this year's draft.

Not just this year's draft, Dickson's been called a generational talent.

Ryan is only thumping his chest because he knows he's gone. Love the guy, but you don't spend a 5th round pick on a punter of Dickson's talent and cut him to spend more money on a vet who had a down year.

Ryan will have no problem finding a job, he's a good punter with plenty of leg left. Just won't be here.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Where was this fire last year Ryan! One of my favs, its going to be sad to see him gone.
    rcaido
    NET Starter

• rcaido wrote:Where was this fire last year Ryan! One of my favs, its going to be sad to see him gone.

That is my thinking also.
    I mean he was horrible last year and did affect some games..It is the NFL
    and if you don't do your job well you are gone.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ryan's been around for 10 years. If the new kid is anywhere close, you got to let Ryan go.

21 > 36.

Love Jon Ryan though. Hope he hooks on with another team to close out his career and then comes back to raise the 12 flag and join the circle of honor!
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• Always liked Ryan, but I'm rooting for the rookie here.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• So it takes the team drafting a punter for you to get your head out of your ass and compete Jon? Way to admit you were being complacent all this time.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Jon is just worried about losing his good gig pimping roofs.

Oh, wait, Haniger already stole that one.

:twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hmmm. Ok fine show your resolve (kind of of making yourself a victim to motivate you) but let's be honest, your play last year was atrocious.

Take responsibility for that and then out produce a rookie (who is going to cost way less) then we can talk shit. These guys really need to stop playing mental games and work on their skills.

You have one thing to do.....punter.......spend 8hrs a day on it like the rest of the population does in their profession. If you did that I believe you could still be a great all time punter. You need to prove your worth my friend.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I guess he's also intending this message for other teams. He wants to continue playing.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad

• Steve2222 wrote:So it takes the team drafting a punter for you to get your head out of your ass and compete Jon? Way to admit you were being complacent all this time.

He wasn't really admitting complacency as much as he was saying that he was going to a compete at a new level.

You can't compete without actual competition - he hasn't had any real competition until now.

It's extremely difficult to self start and compete against yourself as effectively as you compete against someone or something else, especially when nothing is at stake. Now his job is at stake.

Not sure what your post is getting at.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Hope they both do great. If Jon ends up being released, hope he goes to an AFC team that isn't a direct competitor.
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:So it takes the team drafting a punter for you to get your head out of your ass and compete Jon? Way to admit you were being complacent all this time.

He wasn't really admitting complacency as much as he was saying that he was going to a compete at a new level.

You can't compete without actual competition - he hasn't had any real competition until now.

It's extremely difficult to self start and compete against yourself as effectively as you compete against someone or something else, especially when nothing is at stake. Now his job is at stake.

Not sure what your post is getting at.

Sure you can compete against yourself. LeBron James knows he's the best player in the world. You know what? He gets better and better every year. No one can compete against him yet he doesn't allow that to make him complacent.

Just because you're the only punter on the team doesn't mean you don't have competition. That's a bull**** excuse. You're a professional. You should strive to be the best at your craft. Hell the best punter in the league is in our division. Compete to be better than him. If you can't do that, then a fifth round rookie will come in to take your place.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• I just hope the team doesn’t do another Russell and keep two punters.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Zeearend wrote:I guess he's also intending this message for other teams. He wants to continue playing.

Winner!
    Yep, word is out and now some are saying this is another competition to watch so his name is now in the hat for the teams in need. His statement shows confidence, determination and fight. Employers like those traits.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:I just hope the team doesn’t do another RusKell and keep two punters.

FIFY.
    Yeah, that was a signature Ruskell brainfart, keeping two kickers on the roster.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:I just hope the team doesn’t do another RusKell and keep two punters.

FIFY.
    Yeah, that was a signature Ruskell brainfart, keeping two kickers on the roster.

They may need 2 kickers if Dickson cannot hold like Ryan. We've seen what can happen with a crappy FG holder out there, so that is something that will be part of the equation on who to keep.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:I just hope the team doesn’t do another RusKell and keep two punters.

FIFY.

They may need 2 kickers if Dickson cannot hold like Ryan. We've seen what can happen with a crappy FG holder out there, so that is something that will be part of the equation on who to keep.

That's what backup QB's are for. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:

FIFY.

That's what backup QB's are for. ;)

Should be. But when Ryan went down it was Marigos to the rescue here (for the botch).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• truehawksfan wrote:let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?

Nahhh..Kickers in general are not considered worthy of draft picks. That is why some were laughing at us for trading up to snag a punter.

Other teams know we will cut him and they will just wait it out.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    truehawksfan wrote:let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?

Nahhh..Kickers in general are not considered worthy of draft picks. That is why some were laughing at us for trading up to snag a punter.

Slightly disagree.

When he's cut it'll be a free-for-all by all teams without a decent punter. If a team trades a 7th-round pick for him, they get rights to him without the free-for-all.

So there is a small value in trading for him, just not a big one.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    truehawksfan wrote:let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?

Slightly disagree.

When he's cut it'll be a free-for-all by all teams without a decent punter. If a team trades a 7th-round pick for him, they get rights to him without the free-for-all.

So there is a small value in trading for him, just not a big one.

That is fine. We will see soon enough who is correct here.

Keep in mind. I said kickers IN GENERAL are not worthy of picks, not never.

Also, I said nahh because Ryan is a fairly average punter at this point in his career...not a top prospect like Dickson.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• thanks. I can't recall if a team traded a kicker in the past...but if Ryan shows up in preseason games....don't know.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• I love the Ginger (like I have a special place in my heart for all our SB winners),

But there is 2,647,462 reasons I am hoping Dickson steps up and takes this job.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Love Jon and hope he gets a job somewhere. Ironically it's his hands that will save his job in Seattle if he has any chance at all.

The team needs someone like Dickson who can help the team dominate field position like they did so well in 2013. Ryan's best years are behind him.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• McGough held in college. I'm sure he gets the nod this year. We aren't paying an extra 2 millionish just for Ryan's hands. Either he comes away as the clear and away best punter, or he's gone. (He's gone IMHO).
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Dickson would have to fail on an epic level to lose the punter position to Ryan. Love Ryan, hometown boy from Saskatchewan. But he's pricey, older and likely peaked a few years ago.

Last thing you want to do is cut Dickson and have him go on to be a perennial All -pro for someone else just because your current old punter is a better holder on FG's.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

• Always have a quarterback hold, brings another element to the game.

Dumber yet, have Dickson drop kick field goals, extra points and kickoffs and save two roster spots!
    AVL
    NET Veteran

• Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Dickson is reported to be not just a standout but a generational talent, and those guys sometimes end up in the Hall.

No, I am not putting Dickson in the HOF. I am saying IF the reports are true then he could be a generational talent, and IF he's a generational talent then SOMETIMES they make it to the HOF.

So I'm saying there's a chance...
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Dickson is reported to be not just a standout but a generational talent, and those guys sometimes end up in the Hall.

No, I am not putting Dickson in the HOF. I am saying IF the reports are true then he could be a generational talent, and IF he's a generational talent then SOMETIMES they make it to the HOF.

Jesus he has yet to kick anything in pre season and were talking HOF, let the off season get over ASAP. Ray Guy is the stick everyone is measured against as a Punter, meet his numbers and then start the talk.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• You guys stop being excited!! :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:You guys stop being excited!! :2thumbs:

LOL :lol:
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad

• chris98251 wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Jesus he has yet to kick anything in pre season and were talking HOF, let the off season get over ASAP. Ray Guy is the stick everyone is measured against as a Punter, meet his numbers and then start the talk.

You get the "so there's a chance" quote, right?

Crap maybe it's too obscure or old for you. I hate having to explain references, particularly ones i thought were global memes.

So there's this movie called Dumb and Dumber...

KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Crap maybe it's too obscure or old for you. I hate having to explain references, particularly ones i thought were global memes.

Every punter in High School and College and on a Pro team has a chance, since there is only 1 Punter in the Hall I think it's worse then trying to win the Lottery with a person like Ray Guy as the expectation.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• "I'm gonna make you look dumb!"

Lol, only post because I DO love what Jon has brought to game in game out, but man, I almost peed my pants on this one lol, poor guy "I'm a real football player!"

edit: forgot this one

nothing like a jon ryan fake a rooni lol

I guess we should close with his best

SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I loved the reference. No need to explain it; I am pretty sure most got it.
    I am a little shocked that it went over someone's head. I had assumed every one on the board had reflexes fast enough to catch that one.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Rookie

• Jon is right. If all things are equal, keeping Ryan would make John S look really dumb. Go with the cheaper guys that gives the same production.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• IMO: Last years basic stats clearly show that Ryan is still a statistically good punter and he has a real battle on his hands to deal with Michael Dickson, one that he will likely lose & have to find another team. Of course, there are numerous important punting stats beyond the basics, but from what I've seen Dickson will very likely have an obvious edge in many of these over Ryan. Dickson seems to have excellent body control and ball placement skills some of which haven't been seen before in the NFL. PC/JS knew what they wanted in their new scheme with the running game and field position improvement was a big part of their plan. Dickson fills a need and will be a shock to a lot of the media idiots that bashed the "trade up for a punter?" draft pick. The below link has some film and very good other information about Dickson's punting abilities.
    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/27/ ... awks-draft

----John Ryan; (2017: Who was actually the #5 punter in NFL at least in these basic #'s.)
    16-games, 92 punts (5.75/game) for 4141-yds (258.8/game) & 45.0-yd. AVG punt.

----Michael Dickson; (drafted by the Seahawks in Rd-5, but was generally projected as high as a Rd-3 pick.)
    2017: 13-games, 84 punts (6.5/game) for 3984-yds (306.5/game) & 47.43-yd AVG punt.

:smilingalien:
    ------------------Rashaad Penny, the next great Seahawks RB.------------------
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Every punter in High School and College and on a Pro team has a chance, since there is only 1 Punter in the Hall I think it's worse then trying to win the Lottery with a person like Ray Guy as the expectation.

Dude you didn't get the joke - just walk away.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• Even if Ryan out-punts Dickson this preseason, there's almost zero percent chance he'd win the job. Salary cap and age efficiencies aside, JS traded up for Dickson and was reportedly laughed at by the Bronco war room. He'd have to be terrible (which is reportedly the opposite of what he's supposed to be) in order to immediately stain this draft class and get cut.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information