Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Clayton’s observations from OTAs

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Clayton’s observations from OTAs
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm
  • Let’s review some of the observations from OTAs.

I made the comment when the Seahawks drafted Rashaad Penny in the first round that I still think Chris Carson would be the opening day starter. From what we saw in the OTAs, that could still be the case. Penny looks great, but Carson has been the unofficial star of the offseason. His weight is up 10 pounds to 226 and he’s running with speed and power.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/468084/cl ... a-concern/
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Re: Clayton’s observations from OTAs
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm
  • We should all like this one:

Even though it’s hard to judge offensive lines in non-contract practices, the offensive line shows signs of improvement. Germain Ifedi should improve dramatically at right tackle thanks to Mike Solari’s blocking scheme. Ethan Pocic has also been impressive and looks good in a more physical scheme.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 pm
  • I'm concerned that our D-line will look a lot like it did in 2012, with Clark being the new Chris Clemons and only consistently effective pass rusher. Hopefully someone else steps up.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:54 pm
  • sutz wrote:We should all like this one:

Even though it’s hard to judge offensive lines in non-contract practices, the offensive line shows signs of improvement. Germain Ifedi should improve dramatically at right tackle thanks to Mike Solari’s blocking scheme. Ethan Pocic has also been impressive and looks good in a more physical scheme.

This is Solaris class to Bevell, this is all we need !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:I'm concerned that our D-line will look a lot like it did in 2012, with Clark being the new Chris Clemons and only consistently effective pass rusher. Hopefully someone else steps up.

Well, they have lost a lot of talent at that position group.

On the plus side, Reed has developed into a better pass rusher. Jones showed some talent as a pass rusher. Johnson is a plus pass rusher. Smith is a very good pass rusher. Jordan should be back by training camp. I really like Green's potential too.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm
  • sutz wrote:We should all like this one:

If Ifeldi become adequate, we are set at tackles and center positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 pm
  • This is all "powder room" talk. I'll believe it when we see real live opponents with pads on a crossed the scrimmage line.
    I've been watching the Hawks since 1976. The only TC I got excited about our prospects was Russel Wilson's first year. This is way too early to predict this season's record.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:This is all "powder room" talk. I'll believe it when we see real live opponents with pads on a crossed the scrimmage line.
    I've been watching the Hawks since 1976. The only TC I got excited about our prospects was Russel Wilson's first year. This is way too early to predict this season's record.

I'm not familiar with "powder room" talk. Is that where you hang out?
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:This is all "powder room" talk. I'll believe it when we see real live opponents with pads on a crossed the scrimmage line.

Way to ruin it
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:I'm concerned that our D-line will look a lot like it did in 2012, with Clark being the new Chris Clemons and only consistently effective pass rusher. Hopefully someone else steps up.

I am more concerned that w/o Bennett and Avril, Clark isn't getting a pass rush at all.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 am
  • Smellyman wrote:I am more concerned that w/o Bennett and Avril, Clark isn't getting a pass rush at all.

Without Bennett there will be many times when opponent's drives are no longer extended by 3rd-and-long turning into 3rd-and-short due to stupidly lining up offsides or jumping the gun. So, there's that part.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:04 am
  • Powder. Cool movie
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 am
  • Professor squirrel has lost it if he thinks Penny doesn't overtake Carson at some point this season. I like Carson a lot, but Penny is a cut above him and it will show before mid season IMO. :2thumbs:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTH Penny attitude.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am
  • Seymour wrote:Professor squirrel has lost it if he thinks Penny doesn't overtake Carson at some point this season. I like Carson a lot, but Penny is a cut above him and it will show before mid season IMO. :2thumbs:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his Penny attitude.

Agree based on the number of carries they have in the NFL Penny is clearly the better player. I am sure that there has never been a RB late in the first round that looked good in college that didn't make it in the NFL

:sarcasm_off:

The original quote states "Penny looks great" and Carson would still be the "OPENING day starter"

You know maybe because of knowing how to watch film on an NFL level, blocking etc things like that

But hey lets make that a NEGATIVE post about Penny because anything where Penny isn't the superstar that will fix everything for Seattle the moment he steps onto the field is somehow negative
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Professor squirrel has lost it if he thinks Penny doesn't overtake Carson at some point this season. I like Carson a lot, but Penny is a cut above him and it will show before mid season IMO. :2thumbs:

But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTF Penny attitude.

Agree based on the number of carries they have in the NFL Penny is clearly the better player. I am sure that there has never been a RB late in the first round that looked good in college that didn't make it in the NFL

:sarcasm_off:

The original quote states "Penny looks great" and Carson would still be the "OPENING day starter"

You know maybe because of knowing how to watch film on an NFL level, blocking etc things like that

But hey lets make that a NEGATIVE post about Penny because anything where Penny isn't the superstar that will fix everything for Seattle the moment he steps onto the field is somehow negative

LMAO!!! Dude....they haven't even put the pads on yet!! :roll:

I made the comment when the Seahawks drafted Rashaad Penny in the first round that I still think Chris Carson would be the opening day starter.

^^^ that is not using NFL film, he made this comment on DRAFT DAY! He too is attempting to backup his original opinion.

No it's not a negative on Penny....Both being good and one edging the other out is a good problem! Move along now, nothing for you to start here.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 am

Yup. I agree. That's why it's very important to have a really solid secondary to help out the guys up front.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 am
  • The O-Line should look better in practice just because the star pass rushers are all gone...

Avril, Bennett, Richardson. Even though Clark has looked fairly good, he doesn't match those guys.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 am
  • QuickLightning wrote:The O-Line should look better in practice just because the star pass rushers are all gone...

Avril, Bennett, Richardson. Even though Clark has looked fairly good, he doesn't match those guys.

Clark isn't there either. But I agree with your point. Mine has been that as long as pads are off we will know next to nothing on oline and RB positions.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 am
  • Seymour wrote:

Move along now, nothing for you to start here.

Seymour wrote:But...I understand where the OP is coming from. Another attempt to backup his WTF Penny attitude.

.[/quote]

I am not starting anything but you do need to check the mirror. The original post was a fine observation from a very known writer - lets leave it at that.

I do agree - good problem to have and last year's injury proves why we need two RBs that are potential starters
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 am
  • I have been surprised by the lack of coverage on Penny, and overwhelming coverage on Carson so far, by of media and Pete.

Quite curious to the reason behind the imbalance of coverage, especially by Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am
  • That comment was actually edited before you posted that. But yes, it is what it is and does support his original position on Penny....in fact both of them do (OP and Clayton). That is useful information IMO if you give it some thought. :idea:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am
  • Let's hope we have TOO many really good backs this year.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 am
  • Carroll said he hopes Penny will come back stronger for camp. I don’t consider that a shot at Penny, at all. Penny is a rookie who still has some work to do to get stronger in his lower body and become a more physical blocker. He’s got the frame of Adrian Petersen, without any of the bulk because he’s an undeveloped rookie.

Discussing areas where Carson may be ahead of Penny is NOT an attack on Penny. We all hope Penny will become great. And both could be great, and Carson still might be better this year. This is the most exciting battle of training camp.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Let's hope we have TOO many really good backs this year.

I have been praying for that for 3+ years! That would mean the oline is doing their job if that happens. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 am
  • Seymour wrote:That comment was actually edited before you posted that. But yes, it is what it is and does support his original position on Penny....in fact both of them do (OP and Clayton). That is useful information IMO if you give it some thought. :idea:

Holding people’s post-draft thoughts against them is petty. Get over it. Reasonable minds can disagree with the information we had at the time. But at the end of the day, Seahawks fans want Seahawks players to be great.

Go Hawks!
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 am
  • Basically, Carson is the redshirt freshmen, 3 star recruit, and Penny is the true freshmen, 5 star recruit.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:Basically, Carson is the redshirt freshmen, 3 star recruit, and Penny is the true freshmen, 5 star recruit.

Carson played too much to redshirt, LOL. And he was a 7th Rounder, so he was more like the 1 or 2 star guy who surprised everyone.

Edit -was reminded by the always informative Sun Tzu, who I wish would post more, via PM that Carson was a 7th Rounder, not undrafted. Thank you!
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:Basically, Carson is the redshirt freshmen, 3 star recruit, and Penny is the true freshmen, 5 star recruit.

Yes!

hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:That comment was actually edited before you posted that. But yes, it is what it is and does support his original position on Penny....in fact both of them do (OP and Clayton). That is useful information IMO if you give it some thought. :idea:

Holding people’s post-draft thoughts against them is petty. Get over it. Reasonable minds can disagree with the information we had at the time. But at the end of the day, Seahawks fans want Seahawks players to be great.

Go Hawks!

Yes!

Plus 1 on both posts
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 pm
  • I wanna see pads on, does Reed punch out Ifedi again or does Ifedi hold his own, there needs to be some nastiness going this Summer Camp.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I wanna see pads on, does Reed punch out Ifedi again or does Ifedi hold his own, there needs to be some nastiness going this Summer Camp.

I think you meant Clark. Reed hasn’t punched anyone.

Ifedi’s problem has never been physicality. It’s all about technique, composure, and foot speed.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I wanna see pads on, does Reed punch out Ifedi again or does Ifedi hold his own, there needs to be some nastiness going this Summer Camp.

Some of that nastiness left... Bennett. Also that was Clark that sucker punched him but I agree up to a point. That nastiness needs to go away as far as Ifedi is concerned. Another league leading penalty season is not something I care to watch again.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I wanna see pads on, does Reed punch out Ifedi again or does Ifedi hold his own, there needs to be some nastiness going this Summer Camp.

Some of that nastiness left... Bennett. Also that was Clark that sucker punched him but I agree up to a point. That nastiness needs to go away as far as Ifedi is concerned. Another league leading penalty season is not something I care to watch again.

Your confusing nastiness with stupidity, yes and thanks for the correction it was Clark, I want a guy that will pancake and then fart in a defenders face on the ground nastiness, I want the next defender that takes a cheap shot on Wilson or any of our players to have a whole lot of big bad and ugly all over them.

Nice guys finish last, I will take a setting the tone penalty a few times a season, we need a bit of that Bruno mentality on the O line.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I wanna see pads on, does Reed punch out Ifedi again or does Ifedi hold his own, there needs to be some nastiness going this Summer Camp.

Your confusing nastiness with stupidity, yes and thanks for the correction it was Clark, I want a guy that will pancake and then fart in a defenders face on the ground nastiness, I want the next defender that takes a cheap shot on Wilson or any of our players to have a whole lot of big bad and ugly all over them.

Nice guys finish last, I will take a setting the tone penalty a few times a season, we need a bit of that Bruno mentality on the O line.

For all the criticism of Ifedi, that’s one thing he has consistently shown: the willingness to fight and get nasty. Now it’s on him to control and harness that aggression, which would be a whole lot easier if he were playing guard. But I’ve already beaten that horse a bit too much.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information