Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Russell Wilson is third best QB in NFL, per Sporting News

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Yeah I'm willing to be top QB money isn't going to be 40M in two years when Russ starts his new contract.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Perhaps they take less money so they can keep winning, and keep a team around them.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.
    care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Not much I'm going to say to this RW slobfest thread except I will wait
    till the season to say if he is worth the $35-40 million a year you want
    to toss @him.
    The rankings I could care less about..I want wins and smart QB play.

He's worth whatever he says he's worth. The question is how much he wants to win because the QBs who do tend to take less money.

It may be more accurate to say he's worth what a team will pay him, regardless of what he says about himself. And that value will be different from team-to-team.

The Hawks will certainly have to pony up a significant amount on his next contract, but the higher the % of total cap, the worse off for the team; if RW wants to continue winning games, he'll take that into account to some degree. It's the FO's job to balance the worth of one person with the needs of fielding a winning team. Not an easy balancing act, and there's no way to exactly foresee future production from past experience, or project the value of that one player to the overall team.
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Not much I'm going to say to this RW slobfest thread except I will wait
    till the season to say if he is worth the $35-40 million a year you want
    to toss @him.
    The rankings I could care less about..I want wins and smart QB play.

He's worth whatever he says he's worth. The question is how much he wants to win because the QBs who do tend to take less money.

It may be more accurate to say he's worth what a team will pay him, regardless of what he says about himself. And that value will be different from team-to-team.

The Hawks will certainly have to pony up a significant amount on his next contract, but the higher the % of total cap, the worse off for the team; if RW wants to continue winning games, he'll take that into account to some degree. It's the FO's job to balance the worth of one person with the needs of fielding a winning team. Not an easy balancing act, and there's no way to exactly foresee future production from past experience, or project the value of that one player to the overall team.

Certainly there is some team out there willing to pay him more the Seahawks would want to on the open market. It's on Russell to say what he's worth, and hopefully that number is low enough to allow the team to be competitive at other positions.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Certainly there is some team out there willing to pay him more the Seahawks would want to on the open market. It's on Russell to say what he's worth, and hopefully that number is low enough to allow the team to be competitive at other positions.

Actually Aaron will be setting the market and type of contract, if he gets his way his contract will have a escalator that nullifies it if he is not in a certain area of money based on the rest of the contracts for QB's in the league. Or in other words keeping him the top paid QB all the time.

Imagine now if Wilson wants to one up Rodgers in money and years and has that same kind of escalator, won't take long to turn things into a fiasco. Add that Wilson has a baseball guy as a manager and we know baseball has some damn weird type of contracts and are always shooting for the moon this could become problematic fast.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Today is a special day to acknowledge the efforts of all fathers who strive to help their sons and daughters become the very best they can become. I wish each and every one of you all the very best in your endeavor.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jac wrote:

Even if all this were true, this is a big sign that Wilson needs a coach that will push him, teach him, to a certain extent help control him, etc. It's not unlike Favre, who needed his natural QBing gifts channeled through a disciplined approach in order to truly elevate his game to the highest level.[/quote]

"A Big Sign"? that big sign would pertain to every single Quarterback in the League, as there's not a single one of them that can rest on their accomplishments.
    There are always nuances, & Defenses find ways to take quarterbacks out of their comfort zones, so It's an ongoing gig.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.
    care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that you're asking him to "Elaborate" on an Opinion, right? :rofl:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:Third best QB in the NFL shouldn't have ranked 26th last year in scoring efficiency (drives led/drives ending in a score).

It's the one stat I've found that finally confirms my issue with Wilson being a truly top QB instead of a top "playmaking QB". No longer do I have to just talk about eye test or his general play inside/outside the pocket, scramble drill, etc.

Wilson makes unbelievable plays and led the league in TD passes last year, but remove all of those plays from the film and you see a different QB.

I'll try and post up the list later. The top 10 QBs are all the names you would expect....

Anyways, when Wilson moves up on the efficiency list to merely 12-15, he will be considered a #3 QB maybe.

Even that 34 TDs last year, I hear half of them in the 4th quarter.....

So that's about 16 TDs for quarters 1-3, that's about 1 TD pass a game for the first three quarters.....not great.

I discount all 49er opinions on this, because you've all had poop shoveled into your ears continuously for the past 3 years.

In that there is a dude on Webzone, forget his name, escalante or some such (I've avoided the place for the past few years), that is freaking obsessed with Russel Wilson. Who has spent his board existence making up some nonsense or another about Wilson's inadequacies as a QB. I'm not sure if he's a buddy of "Future" or what, but that dude is not only obsessed, but ridiculously stupid. I mean he may actually be the stupidest football fan I've ever heard from in my entire life.

His mere presence on webzone makes everyone just a little bit dumber... sort of like a posters on here who continually beat the drum for trading Wilson.

There's dog-poop smoldering in 120 degree Arizona heat out on my sidewalk right now, that's worth more than those types of opinions.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

I suppose that can be a valid sentiment if your idea of a QB leans towards one-dimensional, stay in the pocket 'statue' style. And many fans will only ever support this type.
    But I would say RW is the best 'Russell Wilson' style quarterback every game he has and will ever play in the future for the Seattle Seahawks. And more importantly, Russell Wilson knows he's better.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

• I'm not anti-Wilson, but putting him above a guy that has completed over 70% of his passes the past two years as he approaches 40 is insanity. One is playing at a far higher level than the other, legs be darned. Russ is a very effective player, but Brees is a first-ballot, unanimous HOF QB playing at a far higher level, and Russell, although very probably not his fault, has been regressing, or at the least, not improving in the sense of controlling the game with his mind.

This season with a new coordinator is going to go a long ways in determining if our problems finding any rhythm and consistency against zone defenses are the fault of the quarterback or the former coordinator.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Brees is still a Top 5 QB, but he’s not what he once was. He’s turning the big “4 0” next season. That’s just nature taking its course. Fortunately for him, he is surrounded by an absurd amount of offensive talent, including the best pass blocking OL in the NFL, and one of the best play calling tandems in football.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• You put Russell in New Orleans system the past 10 years, playing at least 9 games a year in a dome, with Sean Payton running the offense, I guarantee he puts up the same numbers Brees does, if not better.

I'd love to see Brees perform in this ****show Russell has had to put up with the past three years.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• I love Drew Brees, one of my all time favorite players. But behind this crap o line? He wouldn't be nearly as successful as Russ. And no, I'm not saying Russ is better than Brees. He may be better right now overall, but Brees is an all time great. Shoot, Russ would flat out shred any defense out there w/solid blocking in front of him. Just like Brees has done for years. Russ a better QB than Brees? Nope, not yet at least.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Brees is a better pocket passer than Wilson, there's no doubt. Arguably the most accurate thrower of the football ever and very cerebral. Keep in mind that aside from a better supporting cast and coach, he also has ten years more experience than Russ at this point, so it does made sense.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• So I am new here, been lurking for a while, trying to get the feel for the board. Seems a lot like our current political environment, lots of far left, lots of far rights, and a few in the middle. So I know this will automatically put me at odds with some. I am a Wilson fan and put him top 5. However not in front of Brees. That said this whole thing got me thinking. So I decided to do a stat based comparison, based on avg per year. I figured Brees would win easily like 8-3 with Wilson only getting the nod in the rushing and combined stats. I was wrong. (B next to stat shows Brees won, W means Wilson won)

Brees 17 years
    66.9 comp% B
    4144 avg passing yards per year B
    7.58 ypa
    28 tds passing avg per year B
    13 int avg per year
    2.15 td/int ratio per year
    Qb rating 96.7
    43 rush yard avg per year
    1 rush td avg per year
    Total yards per year 4187
    Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
    64% comp
    3696 avg yards per year
    7.83 ypa W
    27 tds avg per year
    9 avg ints per year W
    3 td/int ratio W
    Qb rating 98.8 W
    546 rush yards per year avg W
    2.8 rush tds per year avg W
    Total yards avg 4242 W
    Total Tds avg 29.8 W

So in the 11 categories Brees (B)wins 3. Wilson(W) wins 8. I am actually surprised as I thought Brees would win most of them, but nope. Even if we remove the 4 rushing orientated ones Wilson still wins 4-3. To be honest, I was shocked given 1 Brees is really good, 2 he has had the benefit of a better oline, play calling, and a system built for him. However again I was wrong.

I also decided to see if there were any season in which Wilson outplayed Brees to answer the statement of “There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better the Drew Brees was an any point in his career” So for one obviously Qb rating, any rushing stat. That said if you look at both of their 2nd years in the league Wilson outplayed Brees by a lot. Also in their 5th year. Now I am not including the 1st, 3rd and 4th as Breed did not play the whole season those years. You can even make a great argument Wilsons 6th year was better than Brees. Now that said to me Brees still gets the nod but only because he has been doing it longer. I put Wilson top 5 probably 4 to me which is still great.
    Last edited by Hawk1217 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk1217
    NET Rookie

• Solid post ^. Welcome to the crib Hawk1217. Take ya coat off, stay awhile.! :irishdrinkers:

By the way, be careful about politics talk. Very careful. I'm not even sure you can type the word :|
    Love, Peace & Elbow Grease. Let's ROLL, Hawks!
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• Hawk1217 wrote:So I am new here, been lurking for a while, trying to get the feel for the board. Seems a lot like our current political environment, lots of far left, lots of far rights, and a few in the middle. So I know this will automatically put me at odds with some. I am a Wilson fan and put him top 5. However not in front of Brees. That said this whole thing got me thinking. So I decided to do a stat based comparison, based on avg per year. I figured Brees would win easily like 8-3 with Wilson only getting the nod in the rushing and combined stats. I was wrong. (B next to stat shows Brees won, W means Wilson won)

Brees 17 years
    66.9 comp% B
    7.58 ypa
    13 int avg per year
    Qb rating 96.7
    1 rush td avg per year
    Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
    64% comp
    3696 avg yards per year
    7.83 ypa W
    27 tds avg per year
    9 avg ints per year W
    3 td/int ratio W
    Qb rating 98.8 W
    Total yards avg 4242 W
    Total Tds avg 29.8 W

So in the 11 categories Brees (B)wins 3. Wilson(W) wins 8. I am actually surprised as I thought Brees would win most of them, but nope. Even if we remove the 4 rushing orientated ones Wilson still wins 4-3. To be honest, I was shocked given 1 Brees is really good, 2 he has had the benefit of a better oline, play calling, and a system built for him. However again I was wrong.

I also decided to see if there were any season in which Wilson outplayed Brees to answer the statement of “There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better the Drew Brees was an any point in his career” So for one obviously Qb rating, any rushing stat. That said if you look at both of their 2nd years in the league Wilson outplayed Brees by a lot. Also in their 5th year. Now I am not including the 1st, 3rd and 4th as Breed did not play the whole season those years. You can even make a great argument Wilsons 6th year was better than Brees. Now that said to me Brees still gets the nod but only because he has been doing it longer. I put Wilson top 5 probably 4 to me which is still great.

:greetingsearthling:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Hawk1217 wrote:So I am new here, been lurking for a while, trying to get the feel for the board. Seems a lot like our current political environment, lots of far left, lots of far rights, and a few in the middle. So I know this will automatically put me at odds with some. I am a Wilson fan and put him top 5. However not in front of Brees. That said this whole thing got me thinking. So I decided to do a stat based comparison, based on avg per year. I figured Brees would win easily like 8-3 with Wilson only getting the nod in the rushing and combined stats. I was wrong. (B next to stat shows Brees won, W means Wilson won)

Brees 17 years
    66.9 comp% B
    7.58 ypa
    13 int avg per year
    Qb rating 96.7
    1 rush td avg per year
    Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
    64% comp
    3696 avg yards per year
    7.83 ypa W
    27 tds avg per year
    9 avg ints per year W
    3 td/int ratio W
    Qb rating 98.8 W
    Total yards avg 4242 W
    Total Tds avg 29.8 W

This is signifiicant information; thank you for compiling it. I"m glad you're joining the conversation. If this is the sort of information you're going to bring, you'll add greatly to the logic and facts foundation sought by many of us.

RW has done an amazing job for us. With an overall good o-line, it'll be even better.
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information