Kam Chancellor: If my body says I can play, I'm playing

Seymour

Reaction score
Not much "news" really. Just a recent article and comment from Kam about his future in the NFL. A little something at least.
"I feel like I'm still in my prime, so it's not an age thing at all. It's just a matter of structural issues in the neck and if they change or not."

Personally I'm more in the "what else do you think he would say" camp. I think his chance of his neck "changing for the better" are less than 20% chance IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ncellor-if-my-body-says-i-can-play-im-playing

Sac

Reaction score
Love Kam, but I really hope for his long term health/life/happiness and well-being that he retires.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd hate to see Kam in wheelchair unable to move from the neck down.

Injuries unfortunately are part of the violence of the game and Kam is no stranger to that part of the game. He wants to continue to play, and we'd expect nothing less from Kam Bam; but he should be realistically looking at the consequences of further injury to his neck.

I hope he can be cleared to play and has recovered. However, reality often bites.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sac":tj2lthlo said:
Love Kam, but I really hope for his long term health/life/happiness and well-being that he retires.

I agree except that he can't. At least not this year without giving up $7M in guaranteed $$. So he won't retire this season just to give that $$ back.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm assuming that he won't play again.

If I'm wrong, so much the better.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I have to imagine that the end for any athlete is really, really tough to come to grips with.

He is probably in a "positive self-talk/refuse to let it go" phase right now, and that mentality helped get him to where he is in life. I really feel for these guys who have a life long passion for something and then have it taken away at such a young age - it must be heartbreaking.

My advice would be to lay back and collect every dollar he has coming, but I also understand that these dudes tend to have a different mindset and drive than the rest of us. Either way, I wish him the best and hope that he finds peace and acceptance.

chris98251

Reaction score
He can't even rehab yet or couldn't the last information we got, unless that has changed he is still waiting on a evaluation to even do that. Things looking more doubtful then optimistic.

Reaction score
Seymour":783gj5hy said:
Sac":783gj5hy said:

I agree except that he can't. At least not this year without giving up $7M in guaranteed $$. So he won't retire this season just to give that $$ back.

He also has $12 million in injury guarantees on top of his $10 million signing bonus from last year. He's definitely sitting pretty damn good right now.

Team can't cut him this year without freeing up money elsewhere to take the dead money cap hit from the signing bonus and pay out his injury guarantee, unless they do a post-June cut. Even then... that's a though pill to swallow.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think he will play and it is his choice if he wants..

kobebryant

Reaction score
IndyHawk":eruzcutj said:

I don't believe that is entirely true. I would think he would need to be cleared by a team of medical professionals first.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1q52tps5 said:

Of course he wants to play, but I honestly don't think Kam will ever put on a helmet again.

He's one of the most ferocious football players we've ever seen, but he's also one of the smartest. If there's even a small chance he could get seriously hurt then he's going to hang it up after this year........of course after he collects his paychecks all year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It's up to the doctors, and ours seem especially cautious with this sort of issue, which is a good thing for the well being of the players.

My #1 wish is to see Kam Chancellor healthy when he accepts his induction into the NFL Hall of Fame.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What a massive positive it would be for this team if he could play. That being said, I don't expect him to come back. Regardless what happens, thx for the years Kam. You were a difference maker.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'll wait till he has his neck scan which is being done later this month or early July..
That will tell us ALL what is going to happen..If it is good he is playing,it is really simple.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So the two glaring facts are:

1. If he is cleared to play by doctors then we are all for him playing.

2. If he wants to play and is cleared by doctors, come back.

Really hope the due diligence is done here ( I'm confident it will). He should obviously get multiple opinions but don't search for the 1 doctor that says you are fine. If he is healed, than he should play because everyone that plays is at risk of career and life threatening injuries. If it is borderline, then maybe he should consider retirement and be thankful nothing worse happened in his injury.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3rvx0alj said:

Really hope the due diligence is done here ( I'm confident it will). He should obviously get multiple opinions but don't search for the 1 doctor that says you are fine. If he is healed, than he should play because everyone that plays is at risk of career and life threatening injuries. If it is borderline, then maybe he should consider retirement and be thankful nothing worse happened in his injury.
Exactly the one thing some are not realizing ..
One play can and has ended a career many times but some have came back from the brink
and resumed playing at the normal level they played as some people are wired differently
so not all injuries will have the same result,In about 3-4 weeks we wil know the results of
this scan and I'm sure it will be done in a way that it will be clear as to what he will be able
to do with football.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3lzriftn said:

For the most part yes. But even if Kam's technically cleared by multiple doctors, he still might not play again if he thinks there's even the remotest chance he can get seriously hurt stemming from his current injury.

Dude's a fierce warrior, but he's also very smart......he knows with the way he played what he's done to his body, and what that means going forward with his health declining.

It's hard for me to say this, seeing as Kam and Kenny Easley are my favorite Hawks of all time, but I honestly don't think we'll ever see him play again.