Carson reportedly looking good in OTAs

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
As long he can play a full season we will be good. He can probably put some good games on tape but we also gotta see if he can handle the load once defenses figure out his tendencies.

Health is his main concern.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just. Stay. Healthy.

My God the amount of injuries to our RB's in recent years is truly unbelievable.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":2hu8nkcd said:
As long he can play a full season we will be good. He can probably put some good games on tape but we also gotta see if he can handle the load once defenses figure out his tendencies.

Health is his main concern.
He's not "injury prone" - he got his leg snapped by two defenders. Anyone's leg would have snapped in the same circumstance.

getnasty

Reaction score
I said it in another thread but I think he ends the year with more yards then Penny. He was a stud last year but I get why they drafted a running back.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3k016orj said:
Just. Stay. Healthy.

My God the amount of injuries to our RB's in recent years is truly unbelievable.
Agree and that's before you even think of Procise.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2yu3p6sl said:
I said it in another thread but I think he ends the year with more yards then Penny. He was a stud last year but I get why they drafted a running back.
I would say that his history shows he is more likely to be injury prone than not. The guy only had a little over 200 carries in two years at Oklahoma State (averaged about 10 carries a game) and he still missed time there. He doesn't have a track record of being a being a player who can get a lot of carries and stay healthy. He isn't CJ Prosise level fragile but he has not demonstrated durability over the past three years.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
getnasty":2wh0f4n3 said:

I don't get this statement. How was he a stud? He played just 4 games, with only 1 standout game.. That was against the hapless 49ers.

I think people are getting carried away and over valuing what he did last year. He wasnt a world beater. Frankly we haven't seen a large enough sample size to determine if he's great or not.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jury's out for me on Carson's ability to stay healthy but if the line continues to allow consistent penetration I think I trust Carson to gain positive yards more than Penny based on what I've seen from both.

Penny's YAC was "fake" based on highlights in that sealed-off defenders got a finger on him then he'd explode for 50. Penny is a shifty guy who'll make you pay by taking it to the house if the initial blocking is there and you are not assignment-correct, similar to Prosise for me.

Carson was under heavy fire from the moment he poked his head above the trench and still fought and bounced and teleported enough that our run game could come close to being a factor in games.

I think if the OL improves beyond "Cabled" that both could be lights out. Carson won't know what to do with the luxury of actual blocking, if he gets into the open field look out. Teams may bottle up Penny when they penetrate, but like Prosise all it takes is one or two decently-blocked plays and it's six points (I hope, that's the type of runner Penny was in college).

chris98251

Reaction score
seanmatt":2p8qxnvk said:
getnasty":2p8qxnvk said:
I would say that his history shows he is more likely to be injury prone than not. The guy only had a little over 200 carries in two years at Oklahoma State (averaged about 10 carries a game) and he still missed time there. He doesn't have a track record of being a being a player who can get a lot of carries and stay healthy. He isn't CJ Prosise level fragile but he has not demonstrated durability over the past three years.

He was in a passing offense, why he can catch and pass protect so well, he carried the ball as a distraction to the passing game more as a focal point of the offense he was in.

You all need to throw your stat sheets out the window and understand the background and situations players come from as well.

He was dinged a few times in college, he was taken off to the side and told you have to be more aggressive and run with more authority, he did that when he came back, I think he had a thumb or arm injury if memory is correct, when he ran after that conversation he was a much more physical back per opportunity, that's what caught Pete's eye, throw in the catch ability and pass blocking and he is a solid prospect.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
If your employer drafting a guy in the first round to take your job doesn't motivate you, I don't know what will.

chris98251

Reaction score
What I am hoping for, with Solari teaching a new blocking scheme and technique I look for our RB's not taking so many awkward hits from guys penetrating, all and I mean all of our RB's have taken awkward hits from the side in the backfield and then get rolled up on or pancaked with people holding on to their legs. Rawls, Lynch, Carson, Davis, Prosise, we can go on. When your anchored with a 300 plus pounder to the ground and another or two or more hit your body and twist and or bend you taking you to the ground physics take over and the stress on the part of the body that the pressure is most severe is going to break or tear.

A lane where the RB can run and then get tackled in a more traditional fashion should help with our weird injury history at RB.

The Running backs we have could end up being a windfall of plenty if the above happens, throwing Penny into that mix it could be something to behold. Granted I am a fan of the bell cow back guy but if we use a committee approach we appear to have the horses and all of them have a bit of a different style while still being physical except McKissic who tries but just doesn't have that kind of mass to challenge Linebackers, and Prosise who doesn't appear natural at putting his shoulder down, that may change based on what I read about his off season conditioning and reshaping his body.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We get our RBs injured all the damn time because our RBs are taught to fight for extra yards while our OL does not block anyone since they are all laying on the ground (often).

So guys get hit at weird angles. We need to have our guys go down when 2 or 3 defenders are on them. The extra yards are not worth the eventual injuries. It really irritates me.

If you recall, Rawls was injured when a guy ran unblocked through the line and essentially jumped on his back (it was a Vikings game if you want to go watch it).

We get our RBs injured not because they are brittle but because they are hit simultaneously from multiple angles because our OL was garbage. And while engaged with defenders, they fought for extra yards until getting hit from weird angles by additional defenders who were poorly blocked.

It is nice to hear Carson looks good though. Let's hope it continues when he plays opposing defenses.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3tb584ey said:
We get our RBs injured all the damn time because our RBs are taught to fight for extra yards while our OL does not block anyone since they are all laying on the ground (often).

So guys get hit at weird angles. We need to have our guys go down when 2 or 3 defenders are on them. The extra yards are not worth the eventual injuries. It really irritates me.

If you recall, Rawls was injured when a guy ran unblocked through the line and essentially jumped on his back (it was a Vikings game if you want to go watch it).

We get our RBs injured not because they are brittle but because they are hit simultaneously from multiple angles because our OL was garbage. And while engaged with defenders, they fought for extra yards until getting hit from weird angles by additional defenders who were poorly blocked.

It is nice to hear Carson looks good though. Let's hope it continues when he plays opposing defenses.

Isn't this what I said :p

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep.

Supporting your point.

I am getting tired of the narrative about our RBs being fragile, brittle, etc. Even Rawls, who basically had someone jump on his damn back while his back was turned and he was trying to do whatever he could to drive through the line.

When ALL your RBs have a problem, it might not be the RBs. In this instance, I really doubt it is.

We need to encourage our RBs to go down when they have more than 1 defender on them. And to hit the sidelines more instead of pushing for that extra 1 yard that ends up in getting hit again.

getnasty

Reaction score
jlwaters1":23motmdm said:
getnasty":23motmdm said:

I don't get this statement. How was he a stud? He played just 4 games, with only 1 standout game.. That was against the hapless 49ers.

I think people are getting carried away and over valuing what he did last year. He wasnt a world beater. Frankly we haven't seen a large enough sample size to determine if he's great or not.

Behind that Offensive Line in the first four games of his career, he was a stud. Look what happend to our running game after he left. Time will tell if he can stay healthy but if I love the kid. Just remember how bad the line was last year.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20othusl said:
Yep.

Supporting your point.

I am getting tired of the narrative about our RBs being fragile, brittle, etc. Even Rawls, who basically had someone jump on his damn back while his back was turned and he was trying to do whatever he could to drive through the line.

When ALL your RBs have a problem, it might not be the RBs. In this instance, I really doubt it is.

We need to encourage our RBs to go down when they have more than 1 defender on them. And to hit the sidelines more instead of pushing for that extra 1 yard that ends up in getting hit again.

Well the Walter Payton school of RB says deleiver the blow to finish the run not take one, part of why he was able to do so well, Lynch did the same thing on runs, just can't do that when your held up and a target for everyone else on the defense and no where to go.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1f7z7ow9 said:

Pretty hard thing to ask a guy to do who's trying to fill the shoes of former Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn "BEAST MODE" Lynch.

Latest posts