Shaquill Griffin seemingly moved to left cornerback

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/998773452176740352[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/998778655772819456[/tweet]

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on May 21, 2018, 11:51 PM EDT

Shaquill Griffin started 11 games as a rookie at right cornerback for the Seahawks last season after being selected in third-round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

With Richard Sherman now in San Francisco, the Seahawks have to find a long-term replacement at left cornerback. It appears as though Griffin is being asked to make the switch. In a video wrap-up posted by the team following the first day of OTAs on Monday, Griffin was shown working on the left side of the defense.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah the sounds of inevitability.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I have a feeling Maxy is the RCB this year with the hopes Tre Flowers can develop by next year (or this year if possible). Pete has seemed very interested in him so far, he certainly has the physical profile to do well in a PC defense.

Seymour

Reaction score
A little early too tell if this is "a move yet", but IMO it is one that makes sense. Go kick ass QuiLL!! :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Makes sense, Griffin is our best CB and Maxwell is more comfortable at right corner.

I do love the word "seemingly"....................as a reporter you can't be too committed to a report in May that only 15 people care about.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mistaowen":3jusqahk said:
I have a feeling Maxy is the RCB this year with the hopes Tre Flowers can develop by next year (or this year if possible). Pete has seemed very interested in him so far, he certainly has the physical profile to do well in a PC defense.

I love his length and size, It would be awesome to have 2 young talented CB's manning the outside positions. I'm really rooting for Flowers this preseason and hoping Shaquill can take that next step in becoming a pro-bowl calibur player.

IMO- This will be the most exciting preseason in since 2012. So much to watch for seeing which 2nd year players will grab ahold to the opportunity and become larger contributors as well as this rookie class. I don't think I've ever been more excited about a punter before.

FinNasty

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Jville

Reaction score
Appreciate these posts.

My two cents .........

I'm reminded that the early days of OTAs are when coaches begin the process of seeking answers to many personnel questions. i.e. ..... can they play left side and right side ...... inside and outside ...... 3point and 2point ..... rush and cover .... ect. ect. Lots of questions and lots requisite movement of players to get to know them and find answers.

I remain patient with rookies. And Tre Flowers is no exception given that he has such a long ... long way to go. Brandon Browner was a once in a life time physical force. I have no expectations of ever again seeing such a physically dominant corner back. He was a once in a life time eye popping physical force. Byron Maxwell's potential return to the right side brings his unique physical presence to that side. Looking at Griffin on the left side opens up that possibility.

The opening of OTAs kind of like watching a game of musical chairs. I hope everyone enjoys this annual symphony. I know I am.

I'M IN! ..... always .... Go Hawks!

chris98251

Reaction score
They must see growth, Left side is the preferred throwing side for a QB that's Right handed he gets a good step and throw that direction naturally. That or they want Shaq there because he is the most experienced Corner that can play press if needed and better in Run support. Giving the rest a shot at right and I would think letting Flowers work that side as well to get his skill set up to snuff.

original poster

Reaction score
I think Tre Flowers will be starting a lot quicker than many imagine.

I'd bet Pete wants to fast-track Tre's development and spend a lot of time with him personally this summer. I can absolutely see him exploding onto the scene in preseason and starting from day 1.

Maxy wasn't given starter money, after all. Far from it. They will almost certainly keep him around though at his cap charge, would be foolish not to.

Jville

Reaction score
original poster":25hq09kn said:

I'd bet Pete wants to fast-track Tre's development and spend a lot of time with him personally this summer. I can absolutely see him exploding onto the scene in preseason and starting from day 1.

Maxy wasn't given starter money, after all. Far from it. They will almost certainly keep him around though at his cap charge, would be foolish not to.

Wait ... :177692: ... don't you want to see Maxy lower that shoulder and stop a ball carrier dead in his tracks? How about punching the ball out to demoralize an opponent and generate an all important turn over? The potential of Tre is exciting. But, Maxy is back in the correct system that allows him to excel. And he has a lot to offer in helping newbies build their skills. Feeling good about the DB roster and depth.

P.S. Enjoying your posts :2thumbs:

Tical21

Reaction score
I really wouldn't read too much into this until some depth charts are released by the team or we see him play prominently on the left side in camp. I'm sure everybody is getting a look at both sides. While I do think there is a good chance he'll be our left corner, there is also a significant chance that is isn't that comfortable over there.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
original poster":1c4zurd6 said:

Everyone is writing off Maxwell, crazy. I am pumped about flowers too, but let's pump the brakes. Maxwell was the highest rated cb on this team last year, after walking in off the streets into a system in which he had not played in years. And that includes Sherman. He will have a whole offseason with tje team, and will have a great season. Gonna be near impossible to beat out Maxwell. I wont say it cant happen, but.....

In my mind, it just means they got one he'll of a great deal on their starting rcb, and Flowers will have plenty of time to develope. Injury could push I'm into a starter, or he could just be that great. But hard to see.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3hq9zvoz said:
original poster":3hq9zvoz said:

Everyone is writing off Maxwell, crazy. I am pumped about flowers too, but let's pump the brakes. Maxwell was the highest rated cb on this team last year, after walking in off the streets into a system in which he had not played in years. And that includes Sherman. He will have a whole offseason with tje team, and will have a great season. Gonna be near impossible to beat out Maxwell. I wont say it cant happen, but.....

In my mind, it just means they got one he'll of a great deal on their starting rcb, and Flowers will have plenty of time to develope. Injury could push I'm into a starter, or he could just be that great. But hard to see.
All I know is that Maxwell was straight garbage in Miami...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I will always remain convinced that losing Browner lost us that SB that year.

Had we somehow kept Browner, I think Seahawks would have been a dynasty. He was not great at the other places but he was absolutely perfect fit here.

I know I chirp about Tate and that killed us. But Browner was the beginning of the end of what could have been a dynasty. That was one of the greatest secondaries EVER and that was the first piece of it to fall off.

Just as Maxwell was good here but not great elsewhere. And we have been trying to fill that slot ever since, not quite succeeding each time.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3euj8qmy said:
I will always remain convinced that losing Browner lost us that SB that year.

Had we somehow kept Browner, I think Seahawks would have been a dynasty. He was not great at the other places but he was absolutely perfect fit here.

I know I chirp about Tate and that killed us. But Browner was the beginning of the end of what could have been a dynasty. That was one of the greatest secondaries EVER and that was the first piece of it to fall off.

Just as Maxwell was good here but not great elsewhere. And we have been trying to fill that slot ever since, not quite succeeding each time.

Flowers could be the upper cut to Griffins Jab. He has size and attitude, don't expect him to take out 5 Cardinals in one play or body slam an attempted blocker like Browner, but he has that Safety mentality and physique.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Either he is now the best CB on the team, or we are scheduled to play a lot of left-handed QBs this year. I haven't done the necessary research to find out what's going on, but maybe somebody who is more well-connected within the statistical operations of the league could verify.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1g2kptby said:
Either he is now the best CB on the team, or we are scheduled to play a lot of left-handed QBs this year. I haven't done the necessary research to find out what's going on, but maybe somebody who is more well-connected within the statistical operations of the league could verify.

Can confirm. Source: Hears and reads stuff about the league, including statistics and operations.

1) Griffin is believed to be the best CB on the team
B) Across the league, 100% of expected starting QBs are right-handed.

Latest posts