Summer talk: Tanner McEvoy’s potential and issues

toffee

Reaction score
McEvoy? Dude played safety, qb, wr, te, and on special team. Tall, fast(?) but dropped some catchable passes.

What’s the point of keeping him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
If there is a reason to keep him, it would be because of HWS. He is the only really tall receiver we have on the roster. Unfortunately it has not translated to value on the field. Last year was a real opportunity for him, and almost nothing to show for it. He is battling to make the bottom of the roster, I doubt he wins a spot this year.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
McEvoy is there for competition among the current WR's, cream raises to the top. McEvoy has some potential to go along with his size + he's very familiar of the Seahawks playbook, which is a big advantage for him. I see no reason to bash his pass catching abilities, he's not all that bad in terms of targets vs: receptions and with Graham gone, what other tall WR's do they have that would be better options as a #4 or #5 WR? IF, McEvoy wins a WR spot, he'll have earned it, so why not support the positive rather than the negative? Competition is a good thing.
:smilingalien:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is a terrible receiver.

Should have been a SAFETY.

I said this when they kept him. He fights the ball.

I loved him as a potential backup safety and for some perplexing reason we keep trying to shoehorn a guy who simply does not have soft hands, into being a receiver. It isn't his fault he sucks at it.

Wagner would be a crappy FG kicker. Thank god we use him at MLB. We really need to use Tanner at the position he can actually play instead of the one he is not consistent enough to rely on. He will catch the occasional ball and make a big play, but it is very unlikely he will be a dependable receiving threat.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Camp body at most this year. If he makes the team then it proves we did not improve at wr. Time to get something better.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":dbw6ze0y said:

I loved him as a potential backup safety and for some perplexing reason we keep trying to shoehorn a guy who simply does not have soft hands, into being a receiver. It isn't his fault he sucks at it.

Wagner would be a crappy FG kicker. Thank god we use him at MLB. We really need to use Tanner at the position he can actually play instead of the one he is not consistent enough to rely on. He will catch the occasional ball and make a big play, but it is very unlikely he will be a dependable receiving threat.

Kinda doubt he had the speed to play safety in Pete’s system. Tanner ran a 4.29sec, wow but wait, that was for his 20 yards dash.

A 6’6” safety would have been intriguing otherwise.

getnasty

Reaction score
The biggest issue is he lacks potential, I just can't get excited for him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He got a fan club based on two trick plays in 2016 and then had a predictable down year when they tried moving him into a bigger role.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Stringfellow's past before he was kicked off the Huskies. But hope he can push for McEvoy's spot.

Smellyman

Reaction score
toffee":3mue0ci8 said:
TwistedHusky":3mue0ci8 said:

Kinda doubt he had the speed to play safety in Pete’s system. Tanner ran a 4.29sec, wow but wait, that was for his 20 yards dash.

A 6’6” safety would have been intriguing otherwise.

Hilarious!

/s

You can pick on his game but he is fast and runs like a deer for his size.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
This is why I was excited about him... and Pete too probably.

6'6" 230lbs 32 inch arms 10" hands and looked like a fluid athlete coming out of college... he also went to meetings with a bunch of different positions groups in college because of all the positions he played.. so one of my thoughts was ... just think when he can just focus on becoming a WR.. I was optimistic but ... baring a Byron Maxwell type turn around .. it looks like it just didn't happen for this dude.

People that hate on our WR group could be surprised .. Thread Jacking... in progress.

I mean they usually keep 5 right?

Doug Baldwin
Tyler Lockett
Amara Darboh
J.D. McKissic I know he is listed at RB but we only keep 3 and that leaves one spot after Penny and Carson so....
Jaron Brown

I like Brown 6' 3" 4.4 looks fluid, pesky and had to learn something from Larry all that time. I like the group to be honest and even if Mckissic stays in the RB competition it would be better.. because there are some guys to dream on.... for that last spot...

Marcus Johnson- Average sized ..explosive fast guy... don't know much about him... but it really comes down to these types with the athletic potential ... to do what Byron Maxwell did to reach there potential...not follow Earl around obviously but do that thing ... that thing that ... Pete likes to call ... "he is really going for it" ... So how can I know that Marcus Johnson is not doing that "thing" to get to the next level... that goes for everyone on the roster. These guys are not frozen after the season and thawed out at training camp... the guys that become studs are working smart 24/7.. not sure about Marcus though... doesn't lack potential.

David Moore is super intriguing as size/speed dude ... 220 running 4.4 explosive .. Pete has mentioned he regrets not getting a better look at him last year.... maybe .. maybe not but the potential is there and we have seen it happen before.

Then there is the 4.3 LSU track dude

The former Navy QB- stud productive playmaker at QB had a year to bump around the league and learn to play WR

Tanner

Damore'ea Stringfellow ... he pissed me off at the time for his arrogance... and for getting kicked off the team... but if you think about it... you kinda want a little arogance at WR at times ... looks to have the body control and strong hands and decent enough fluid athletic ability .... who knows.

Caleb Scott .. seems like they let more productive UDFA ...go and kept this guy... so I did a little digging. In the last two years of college he dealt with injuries but school website talks about some acrobatic catches and helping the team with some explosive plays. Has that Dough Baldwin quickness ... 6.58 three cone 1.50 ten yard dash... not sure about the long speed 1.92 in last part of the forty on par with chris Carson 1.92 and Doug Baldwin 1.95... compare that to Tyler Lockett 1.81 Brandon Cooks 1.80 ... but quicks are elite and he made the team and those other more productive guys didn't .. who knows what they saw.

Point is I have heard some people hating on our WR group and all I say is look around the NFL ... and then compare Seattle to the other teams... With Doug and Tyler at the top... you have a bunch of interesting stories for those next three spots ... call me a sucker .. I like the potential and I am excited to see if any of these dudes can seize the opportunity.

"Son your potential is gonna get me fired"

Smellyman

Reaction score
Stringfellow, Arrogance? He was a jerk and accosted a guy for wearing a Seahawk jersey.

Now he will wear one. too funny.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Smellyman":1vjstdk1 said:
Stringfellow, Arrogance? He was a jerk and accosted a guy for wearing a Seahawk jersey.

Now he will wear one. too funny.

yah arrogant

ar·ro·gant
ˈerəɡənt/Submit
adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
"he's arrogant and opinionated"
synonyms: haughty, conceited, self-important, egotistic, full of oneself, superior; More

yah that was the word that came to mind... maybe there is a better one... Jerk? No ... there is probably a better word to describe what he did than arrogant ... but Jerk doesn't get it done. I would agree though ... that is some Karma for your ass ... but I just read where he was 4.60 and 4.67 at his pro day. I am not saying that can't get it done ... I mean cooper Kupp was 4.6 but also quick ....Kupp had the 6.5ish cone.

I can forgive a lot ... cause I know I am far from perfect ... but you better be able to ball.. or look at it this way. If he makes the team ... with a 4.6 forty that light bulb must have went on and that crazy body control and hand strength is going to make us all forgive him or ... he gets cut by the team he was hating on that day... ) poetic justice seems like a win ..win.

original poster

Reaction score
I think more than one WR is going to emerge next season, not convinced it will be McEvoy though.

My money is on David Moore shining the brightest.

HawkerD

Reaction score
If you want to beat McEvoy out you better be excellent on Special Teams because that is his real "position" and value. In 2017 Tanner had 215 Off Snaps and 266 ST snaps. It will not be beat out by a better WR unless that player is a better ST'er.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like Tanner and feel he has a better chance this year to display what he can do since JG
is gone.We have new offense that he can possibly thrive in.

chris98251

Reaction score
original poster":3dr1idu4 said:
I think more than one WR is going to emerge next season, not convinced it will be McEvoy though.

My money is on David Moore shining the brightest.

I agree, he has all they gifts a receiver can have, just a small school, not comparing but Mississippi Valley State and Tulsa were not power houses and a couple pretty good guys managed to make a decent living and have nice careers from those schools.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/999091065553481729[/tweet]

With few exceptions, it seems to me that the quarterback / receiver relationship is the telling determiner in who stays and who goes. There are, at this moment, a whole series of QB to WR comparisons posted on Field Gulls twitter account.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":3r4udcn9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/999091065553481729[/tweet]

With few exceptions, it seems to me that the quarterback / receiver relationship is the telling determiner in who stays and who goes. There are, at this moment, a whole series of QB to WR comparisons posted on Field Gulls twitter account.

You need the big three, we had Lynch and now need a Penny or Carson.

Aikman, Irvin and Emmitt Smith.

Harris, Swann, Bradshaw.

Greise, Warfield, Csonka/Morris/Kiick

Tarkenton, Rashad, Foreman.

There are many others, have the threesome and keep it together and magic can happen on offense.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'm baffled that anyone can feel certain in saying that him not showing it yet means he won't. We as fans seem to really overlook the development timeframe of receivers across the board.