Former NFL fullback Don Testerman dies at 65

chris98251

Reaction score
RIP Don you were a big part of our early years.

He's #42 for you youngsters.

Zorntestermansherman

Testerman

Heres the paragraph on PFT.

Don Testerman, the first fullback in the Seahawks’ history, died on May 8 in Greenville, South Carolina, from complications of dementia, Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times reports. Testerman was 65.

Testerman played for four college teams, four NFL teams and even gave the USFL a shot.

He served in the Navy and played at Virginia Tech, Ferrum, Lenoir-Rhyne and Clemson before the Dolphins selected Testerman in the 10th round in 1976.

Testerman was waived by the Dolphins and the Eagles before joining the Seahawks just before the start of his rookie season. He started 13 games for the Seahawks in 1977 and was the team’s second-leading rusher with 459 yards and second-leading receiver with 219 yards.

Seattle traded Testerman to Washington in 1979 for draft picks, and he played five games for Miami in 1980. He attempted a comeback with the USFL two years later before retiring.

Testerman saw action in 49 games with 27 starts in his career, gaining 1,459 yards from scrimmage and scoring seven touchdowns.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
65 is too young. RIP Don.

1976_Testerman.jpg

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seattle Times article...

Don Testerman, the Seahawks’ original fullback, dies at age 65

By Bob Condotta

The number of uniforms Don Testerman wore during his football career were almost too numerous to count — four college teams, four NFL teams, even a brief sojourn in the USFL.

But there was one jersey and number that meant the most to Testerman — the 42 he wore with the Seattle Seahawks during the first three years of their existence from 1976-78.

Any time Testerman began to tell stories about his playing days, which happened often, “it always reverted back to the Seahawks,’’ said his son, Troy. “It was a very, very proud time.’’

Known as the team’s first starting fullback — he started 26 games in the 76-78 seasons — Testerman died on May 8 from complications of dementia in Greenville, S.C. He was 65.

“Still to this day he had a big Seahawks flag in the house that he lived in before he got sick,’’ Troy Testerman said in a phone interview Friday. “When you play football you wear a lot of different numbers and he always had the number 42 associated with everything. He had a Seahawks 42 tattoo. That was always his proudest time.’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... at-age-65/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":mo04smnq said:
Seattle Times article...

Don Testerman, the Seahawks’ original fullback, dies at age 65

By Bob Condotta

The number of uniforms Don Testerman wore during his football career were almost too numerous to count — four college teams, four NFL teams, even a brief sojourn in the USFL.

But there was one jersey and number that meant the most to Testerman — the 42 he wore with the Seattle Seahawks during the first three years of their existence from 1976-78.

Any time Testerman began to tell stories about his playing days, which happened often, “it always reverted back to the Seahawks,’’ said his son, Troy. “It was a very, very proud time.’’

Known as the team’s first starting fullback — he started 26 games in the 76-78 seasons — Testerman died on May 8 from complications of dementia in Greenville, S.C. He was 65.

“Still to this day he had a big Seahawks flag in the house that he lived in before he got sick,’’ Troy Testerman said in a phone interview Friday. “When you play football you wear a lot of different numbers and he always had the number 42 associated with everything. He had a Seahawks 42 tattoo. That was always his proudest time.’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... at-age-65/
Great find Aros.

RIP Mr. Testerman :(

652cHAWK

Reaction score
I got an email from his son Josh, looking for his father's helmet. I collect vintage Seahawks equipment, especially helmets. Josh must have seen his father's helmet pic associated to an old site I had, so he emailed me back in April.
My name is Josh Testerman,

I’m emailing in regards to don testerman’s, my fathers, worn seahawks helmet.

I would like to purchase the helmet if you would sell it. My father has been through multiple assisted living facilities and with other family involved, no one “knows” where his football memorabilia is. I have nothing at this point except a small picture and a sports card. Please let me know if we can work something out. Thank you

Josh

Unfortunately, I don't own this helmet, and I don't know who does. But, if anyone here comes across this thread, might as well put it out there, a long shot I know. I do have his email and maybe we can work out something.

[email protected]

original poster

Reaction score
652cHAWK":mv818iku said:
I got an email from his son Josh, looking for his father's helmet. I collect vintage Seahawks equipment, especially helmets. Josh must have seen his father's helmet pic associated to an old site I had, so he emailed me back in April.
My name is Josh Testerman,

I’m emailing in regards to don testerman’s, my fathers, worn seahawks helmet.

I would like to purchase the helmet if you would sell it. My father has been through multiple assisted living facilities and with other family involved, no one “knows” where his football memorabilia is. I have nothing at this point except a small picture and a sports card. Please let me know if we can work something out. Thank you

Josh

Unfortunately, I don't own this helmet, and I don't know who does. But, if anyone here comes across this thread, might as well put it out there, a long shot I know. I do have his email and maybe we can work out something.

[email protected]

Good luck to Josh.