Russell Wilson expects Seahawks to franchise tag him in 2020

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/993619415827529728[/tweet]

“Per a source with knowledge of the situation,” Florio explains, “The current expectation from Wilson’s perspective is that he’ll finish his current deal and receive the franchise tag in 2020. Based on his 2019 cap number of $25.286 million, it will cost the Seahawks $30.34 million to keep him for another season after the expiration of his current deal.”

Florio notes if Wilson does choose to go the franchise tag route as Cousins did in Washington, it gets very expensive for Seattle. A second straight franchise tag will cost the Seahawks $36.41 million for 2021, and a third for 2022 would be worth $52.43 million.

Before beginning any kind of negotiations with Seattle, it’s highly likely Wilson is waiting for one important domino to fall – Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Although Rodgers has two years remaining on his current deal as well, he is expected to sign a new record-setting contract this offseason.

chawx

Reaction score
My friend works with a guy who's cousin has a kid who was in the hospital in Seattle and actually met Russell when he visited one day said that Russell said he doesn't expect to be franchised and that he's going to take Tom Brady-type pay so the Hawks can sign other guys.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chawx":3e807vlx said:
My friend works with a guy who's cousin has a kid who was in the hospital in Seattle and actually met Russell when he visited one day said that Russell said he doesn't expect to be franchised and that he's going to take Tom Brady-type pay so the Hawks can sign other guys.

My mom’s hair stylist has a son that dates a chic, that chic hasn’t spoken to anybody and she doesn’t know anybody related to the Seattle Seahawks.

That chic says that we won’t know anything about future contracts until we know about them.

That being said, with a 100 million guaranteed contract already being out there, rest assured, Wilson won’t be cheap to keep.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
$119 million for 3 years if he goes that way ..That is pretty ugly and no way is he going to be worth that..
One million off my figures in past posts that he will be going for ha ha..
Believe me in this case I hate being right.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah CornFlorio is already starting his rumor fest on the Seahawks it seems, with Earl and now Russell.

Seafan

Reaction score
So the Hawks have RW under their control for 3 more years for "reasonable money". That gives them plenty of time to find a replacement.

original poster

Reaction score
With the CBA up after the 2021 season (I think) It could pay serious dividends to have Russ play on the franchise tag for 2020 and 2021.

Sure, it'll cost a bit more in the short term, but who knows what the CBA will bring this time around?

When I sat down and really thought about it, I'd be very surprised if they got a long term deal done in the mean time. I guess they could agree a 3 year extension after this season as well, but I'd be very shocked if they lock him up past the 2021 season until they know what the wording in the CBA is.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
original poster":1y8i2ync said:
With the CBA up after the 2021 season (I think) It could pay serious dividends to have Russ play on the franchise tag for 2020 and 2021.

Sure, it'll cost a bit more in the short term, but who knows what the CBA will bring this time around?

When I sat down and really thought about it, I'd be very surprised if they got a long term deal done in the mean time. I guess they could agree a 3 year extension after this season as well, but I'd be very shocked if they lock him up past the 2021 season until they know what the wording in the CBA is.

Yeah, by that time they could rule that the cap rules aren't applicable to robots and we can pay Russ whatever we want without it counting against the cap.

original poster

Reaction score
Seanhawk":smfk1sbl said:
original poster":smfk1sbl said:

Yeah, by that time they could rule that the cap rules aren't applicable to robots and we can pay Russ whatever we want without it counting against the cap.

^he gets it :D

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3hg55grl said:
Yeah CornFlorio is already starting his rumor fest on the Seahawks it seems, with Earl and now Russell.

Exactly. We don't even know if Pete and John will be here in 2020 yet we are suppose to "worry" about Russell gettting franchise tagged? Lame narrative IMO, there are better stories to "dream up" than this lame piece of crap for work.

cornholio.jpg

Chapow

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and not give a single crap about this for at least another year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Franchise tag is a very real possibility.

I don't think John and Pete, for as much as they love Russell are very excited about giving him a Matt Ryan extension at 32M+ a year for the next 5-6 years.

So it makes sense to franchise Russell and see if we can find another QB in the draft over the next couple years.

But like I've said numerous times, you don't let Russell go without having his replacement ready to take over the offense, and right now that doesn't exist.................so franchise.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Florio spends every day trying to either make crap up, or create some drama that flat out doesn't exist.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24x1htkv said:
Franchise tag is a very real possibility.

I don't think John and Pete, for as much as they love Russell are very excited about giving him a Matt Ryan extension at 32M+ a year for the next 5-6 years.

So it makes sense to franchise Russell and see if we can find another QB in the draft over the next couple years.

But like I've said numerous times, you don't let Russell go without having his replacement ready to take over the offense, and right now that doesn't exist.................so franchise.

These dumb ass contracts are going to change how teams think. It will no longer be automatic to re-sign franchise QB's. It is no coincidence that many SB's are being won by QB's on their rookie deals, or under payed "lessor" QB's. They can spend money other places and be dominant. (Steelers, Ravens. Seahawks, Eagles.....ect).

Contracts like that (Ryan / Cousins) are going to ruin the game, and bring HATE to the franchise QB near you. Write that story CornFlorio!! :17:

Latest posts