Does The LOB Name Die With The Original LOB?

Can the name "LOB" live on in new incarnations?

• Yes it can live on. "LOB V2" or the like. It can keep living on with new players.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • No. LOB will always and forever be just Kam, Sherm, Earl...

Votes: 77 68.1%
  • I am ambivalent. Either way is fine with me.

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Weird random thought of the day.

naholmes

Reaction score
With Earl and Kam I could still see it but not without Kam.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I think the original needed all three mentioned. Brandon Browner helped to lay the BOOM, and giver the name, but the Defense continue to perform at a fairly high level after his departure, so I didn't mind the name continuing.

Now? With Sherm gone? Kam maybe gone, too? Earl remaining alone? Those three adopted that name and used it for themselves, even adding the hand-figure to accompany it, and expanding it to their brotherhood.

No, I won't be using it again with reference to our current or future defense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Of course.

The LOB had 3 borderline HOF players on it.

Earl Thomas, pretty close to HOF, certainly the equal to most of the safeties in there.

Kam Chancellor, borderline but only because of longevity - at his peak he was one of the best to play the position.

Richard Sherman, clear HOF player.

Brandon Browner, not a HOF player but one of THE most physical cornerbacks EVER to play the game. Had Carroll not released him, I think he would have been great here. He might not have worked out in New Orleans but in our system he was money.

Then we had Maxwell as the additional DB. Starter caliber.

It was one of the best secondaries in NFL history, and you don't replace 3 HOF quality players and expect to get to use the same nickname. We might get some good and even very good players out of the guys we have in the wings, but it is ridiculous to compare them to the LOB. The only area they share is that they wear the same color uniforms.

And it would never be fair to expect them to be even close to the players they are replacing. All you do when you try to use LOB for the new batch is water down the legacy. The math says they won't come close because it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.

Beren

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind an LOB2 for a new group of players who deserved it.

Bryce84

Reaction score
In my opinion, "Legion of Boom" is more than a specific list of players, it's about a mindset, attitude, physicality, philosophy, brotherhood, consistency and last but not least - level of skill the players bring to their positions, the secondary unit and defense as a whole. Creating a unit that strikes fear in the heart of the opponents and commands respect among their peers as well as fans everywhere. If our young players develop and play "Legion of Boom"-level of football and sustain that excellence game in and game out for years then they'd absolutely be worthy of the name, or maybe they develop a completely different name for themselves, if that ever happens.

That's my take. I know some will find it egregious for the name to be used on anyone but the "original" Legion of Boom, and that's completely fair - part of me definitely shares that same sentiment. However, if we develop a secondary group that balls out like the "original" Legion of Boom did, I couldn't personally completely rule out it being unacceptable for the name to be used again. The reality is though, that it's extremely unlikely we see that again. Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, etc - these types of units rarely come along, and like TwistedHusky stated:
TwistedHusky":qy2gbat4 said:
it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.

Can it live on? Possibly, yes. Time will tell. I'm hopeful for it, but I am not counting on it.

Seymour

Reaction score
LOB name was created and earned by / for certain players just like past historic defenses like Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters....ect. The name stays with THAT group, and they earned it! Time to create a new identity and "name" for themselves. Boom was Kam and Browner....they are both gone "or close in Kams case".

Cyrus12

Reaction score
LOB is dead. It belonged to those players. I am sure the new breed will not want to be something different. Just hope its not called swiss cheese...

hawxfreak

Reaction score
What if our defense this time round is better than the sherm Kam and browner version
I'm endeared to them because of a superb owl but ill feel that same way about this group if they do the same
I also won't miss em when they leave if they start to get full of themselves to

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If the future secondaries prove to be the equal of the LOB, then I will feel that the LOB moniker belongs to Carrol's NFL secondary, regardless of which players are on it. It's unlikely, but I have to say that I feel pretty good about Griffin being Sherman 2.0, so, if Earl sticks around, and we find a Kam 2.0, we could have a continuation of the LOB.

I think this is unlikely, so I voted no. LOB belongs to the players that had such an amazing stretch. Earl, Kam, Richard (with honorary mentions to contributors like Brandon, and Byron)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’d say it died the day they began to take the field as individuals instead of being the cohesive unit that helped spawn the nickname.

getnasty

Reaction score
LOB is done. It's time for the young guys to start something new of there own. I hope were able to keep Earl around for 3 more years to mentor these guys the way Lawyer Milloy did the LOB, or at least Earl.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seymour":inufrkyx said:
LOB name was created and earned by / for certain players just like past historic defenses like Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters....ect. The name stays with THAT group, and they earned it! Time to create a new identity and "name" for themselves. Boom was Kam and Browner....they are both gone "or close in Kams case".
This

kf3339

Reaction score
It's a new backfield group that needs to make their own identity. The LOB earned their name and it will forever be remembered as Kam, ET and Sherman with founding member Browner. Let them earn their own nickname that's deserved.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It's over in my mind. Like the other great Defenses with cool names of the past, once the players who identified with the name are gone, the name doesn't carry the weight anymore. It might hang on for as long as Kam and Earl are on the roster, but the Legion of Boom will always be Kam, Earl, and Sherman together.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bryce84":rj8nvrhu said:
In my opinion, "Legion of Boom" is more than a specific list of players, it's about a mindset, attitude, physicality, philosophy, brotherhood, consistency and last but not least - level of skill the players bring to their positions, the secondary unit and defense as a whole. Creating a unit that strikes fear in the heart of the opponents and commands respect among their peers as well as fans everywhere. If our young players develop and play "Legion of Boom"-level of football and sustain that excellence game in and game out for years then they'd absolutely be worthy of the name, or maybe they develop a completely different name for themselves, if that ever happens.

That's my take. I know some will find it egregious for the name to be used on anyone but the "original" Legion of Boom, and that's completely fair - part of me definitely shares that same sentiment. However, if we develop a secondary group that balls out like the "original" Legion of Boom did, I couldn't personally completely rule out it being unacceptable for the name to be used again. The reality is though, that it's extremely unlikely we see that again. Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, Orange Crush, etc - these types of units rarely come along, and like TwistedHusky stated:
TwistedHusky":rj8nvrhu said:
it is crazy rare to get 3 HOF quality players on the same defense much less 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary.

Can it live on? Possibly, yes. Time will tell. I'm hopeful for it, but I am not counting on it.

I appreciate your take, but is the Steel Curtain still the Steel Curtain? Fearsome Foursome? Doomsday Defense? Purple People Eaters? Orange Crush?

You get my point. The LOB was a nickname for those players, not a general name for our defensive backfield for the next decade with different players.

IMO it not only doesn't work, but it's disrespectful to Earl, Kam and Sherm to continue using the LOB name. That's their name, they earned it, and everyone should respect that going forward.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Even if we tried to keep it going, years from now people will still only talk about THE Legion of Boom as the original cast. Let's not try to force it. Let the LoB die and ascend to football mythology.

AgentDib

Reaction score
People can call them the Rainbow Brite Bombers for all I care. It's always been Pete's defense to me and twenty years down the road we'll look back on his tenure as a single era on defense, much like we look at the Knox years or the Holmgren years. Some years the personnel is a bit better than others, but what really differentiates them to me is the overall approach.