George Fant to RT

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Schneider mentioned the possibility that Fant could play RT. Carroll said a few weeks ago that it's possible Fant could be ready to return for the start of training camp.

If Fant could win the starting RT job, that would be HUGE for the offensive line. Fant is a really talented athlete and a physical blocker. He plays like a guy who likes to hit.

Using Fant at RT would also allow Ifedi to move back to his more natural RG position, where his north-south explosiveness would be more of an asset. Ifedi cost the team a ton of false start and holding penalties because he's not quick enough to block outside speed rushers.

I also prefer D.J. Fluker at RT, as opposed to RG, because his length and footwork is so solid on the outside. Fluker's grades at tackle have been better than at guard. But I don't get the impression that will happen, given that Mike Solari used Fluker at RG last season with the Giants.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Who was RT for the Gmen last year? Flowers?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
WmHBonney":fmwhkze4 said:
Who was RT for the Gmen last year? Flowers?

Flowers was at LT for the Giants last season. Bobby Hart started at RT for seven games. Then-rookie Chad Wheeler was at RT for five games. They didn't have a RT who was playing really well. Also, there hasn't been any mention of Fluker getting a shot at RT. He's slow footed but uses his length and reach well on the outside.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The right side of the line has me somewhat perplexed. If Fant competes at the RT and wins over Ifedi, do we move Ifedi over to RG where its his natural position? If so, where does that leave Fluker? Ironically, Fluker graded much better at RT than the guard position. Should be interesting.

justafan

Reaction score
Fant makes a back up for time being.I think his days are close to over here.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There's a lot more actual competition on the line this year. It's nice. Fant, Pocic, Jones, and Odihambo will all push someone at one or more positions.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I honestly don't see any chance of Fant to win the RT job. Think about it, the guy has just learned to play on the leftside with just a handful of games, now you throw him on the other side and he' has to learn it all again but backwards. You have to move differently. That's a lot to ask someone who has virtually no experience.

I think we see Ifedi improve significantly and becomes a road grader on the right side opening holes for Penny.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
All that needs to happen is for the OL positions to be decided early so they can focus on the position they will be playing during the year and getting used to the guy playing next to them.

Consistency for the win.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1d8d0a0a said:
I honestly don't see any chance of Fant to win the RT job. Think about it, the guy has just learned to play on the leftside with just a handful of games, now you throw him on the other side and he' has to learn it all again but backwards. You have to move differently. That's a lot to ask someone who has virtually no experience.

I think we see Ifedi improve significantly and becomes a road grader on the right side opening holes for Penny.

You make a persuasive argument about Fant. He's also coming off ACL surgery.

Just not sold on Ifedi at RT or Fluker at RG.

original poster

Reaction score
I could talk for hours about this!

The best thing is we have competition at the weakest positions.

LT - set
LG - Pocic/Jones/Roos/Odhiambo
C - set
RG - Fluker/Ifedi/Roos
RT - Ifedi/Fluker/Jones/Fant

That's some interesting camp battles.

The OL competition is the most interesting across the whole team and it's not even close.

I just hope they don't make any glaringly obvious mistakes early and have to reshuffle again.

Get it right first time and let them develop each game. As long as people are patient by the time the team play in London, I can very much imagine a more than serviceable line.

If I had to predict the line today -

LT - Brown
LG - Pocic
C - Britt
RG - Ifedi
RT - Jones

JPC4Days

Reaction score
This is a crazy ... I get it indulge me, why limit the imagination. So Duane Brown has always been a strong dude ..but at 32 he is getting older... the first thing to go is your fast twitch right?

Roy Jones should be a perfect example... you keep your strength the longest... and lose your reflexes. Fant is the guy you make on Madden to play left tackle... why not move Duane Brown to left guard and have the best potential left side since Walter and Hutch?

I mean he could be an all pro guard for the next four years and all the time teach young Fant along the way....

ok since I know that is not going to happen and I know Duane Brown is one of the few good things we have going... just saying at some point he is going to slip a bit ... maybe that plan in a year or so... so to reality.

I mean Solari liked the dude at guard for a reason maybe put Fluker on the left side next to Brown and have a couple of big strong dudes over there and then Ifedi at guard and Fant at right tackle.

Brown...Fluker... Brit...Ifedi...Fant

Fluker has played on the left side not at guard as far as I know but as a tackle so the transition could be easier than it would be for Ifedi ...who has had problems before moving over to that side.

Aside from when we play the Rams ... that line might have a chance... seems pretty stout from a run game perspective... passing ... rome wasn't built in a day.

Also all those other dudes are working really hard at there craft as we discuss this ... so who knows how Pocic or some of the other guys look when camp starts.

The Rams scare me but I am excited that we may have a run game again... I also do think the changes to the cut blocking rule messed up the Alex Gibb's zone blocking system that Cable insisted on running no matter how much he tried to say they did not... and I am optimistic about our new coaches and evolution of the lineman currently on the roster... for some reason.

seabowl

Reaction score
original poster":ai9w5515 said:
I could talk for hours about this!

The best thing is we have competition at the weakest positions.

LT - set
LG - Pocic/Jones/Roos/Odhiambo
C - set
RG - Fluker/Ifedi/Roos
RT - Ifedi/Fluker/Jones/Fant

That's some interesting camp battles.

The OL competition is the most interesting across the whole team and it's not even close.

I just hope they don't make any glaringly obvious mistakes early and have to reshuffle again.

Get it right first time and let them develop each game. As long as people are patient by the time the team play in London, I can very much imagine a more than serviceable line.

If I had to predict the line today -

LT - Brown
LG - Pocic
C - Britt
RG - Ifedi
RT - Jones

I gotta believe Fluker starts somewhere on the line

themunn

Reaction score
There's no way Jones starts just yet, we've made too many mistakes over too many years throwing in rookies on the O-Line.

We'll almost certainly have Brown, Ifedi, Britt and Fluker starting, with the remaining guard position up for grabs between Odhiambo and Pocic.

Fant will sit another year or two learning technique behind Brown, and similarly the goal with Jones will be to coach him up to an acceptable pro level. Hunt probably keeps a roster spot which means competition up for the remaining spots

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
themunn":hpnlcafp said:
There's no way Jones starts just yet, we've made too many mistakes over too many years throwing in rookies on the O-Line.

We'll almost certainly have Brown, Ifedi, Britt and Fluker starting, with the remaining guard position up for grabs between Odhiambo and Pocic.

Fant will sit another year or two learning technique behind Brown, and similarly the goal with Jones will be to coach him up to an acceptable pro level. Hunt probably keeps a roster spot which means competition up for the remaining spots

I agree that Jones is looking like a backup at this point (with a slight chance to break into the starting competition at LG). His pass blocking technique could be the separator at LG. Only 11 pressures surrendered last season at Ohio State.

We can't forget about Jordan Roos. He is a great athlete (powerful & explosive). He gained a little experience at guard during his rookie "redshirt" season. Roos vs. Pocic seems like the big battle to me at LG. Jones could push Odhiambo off the roster if he takes over as the backup LT/LG.

penihawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Ifedi will play himself into his most obvious natural position at some point this year, backup on the bench. If I'm correct about that ,how does the line look with Ifedi's name not in the lineup?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
penihawk":3uie94ek said:
I'm pretty sure Ifedi will play himself into his most obvious natural position at some point this year, backup on the bench. If I'm correct about that ,how does the line look with Ifedi's name not in the lineup?

;)

LT Brown, Jones
LG Pocic, Roos
C Brit, Pocic
RG Fluker, Ifedi
RT Fant, Ifedi

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's going to turn out like it stands right now.

Brown, Pocic, Britt, Fluker, and Ifedi.
I think we see dramatic improvement at LG, RG, and RT.

I think this because both Pocic (whose added strength and weight) and Ifedi will be significantly improved over last year, being as this will be year 2 for both at these positions.
As for RG- which I would contend was the weakest position along the line will be improved by steady play from Fluker.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3iybtx3v said:

Someone gets it! Moving Fant who just learned football to the other side is about the most dumb ass idea I can think of. :roll: :141847_bnono:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This is your annual reminder that throwing two subpar players at a position does not guarantee a starting-quality result.