Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Defense leadership

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Defense leadership
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm
  • I will go on assumption that Cliff and Kam will NOT be back. It is not what I want but for purpose of this thought experiment go with me. Assuming they are gone where will the leadership come form in the defense. Will Bwags or Earl be the man or will a new/newish guy step up? What are your thoughts. I do feel this is important because things are changing and they will be very different this year in the locker room.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Defense leadership
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 pm
  • Shaqalicious baby!

The Shaq Attack! :2thumbs:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm
  • Aros wrote:Shaqalicious baby!

He is not unfamlier with SS and can cover, I highly doubt Kam is coming back, he can't even rehab yet, he also is still growing and may not be quite as big as Kam now but is big for a SS and faster then any SS in the game.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

We have dual Shaq’s, which one?

Seriously though I think it will be Bobby and Earl, with a huge assist from Mr. Norton.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:59 pm
  • Griffindorfense!
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Aros wrote:Shaqalicious baby!

We have dual Shaq’s, which one?

I was implying both. Hmmm, will need to sleep on a better moniker...

Love Our Brothers just took on a whole new meaning.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 pm
  • No mention of KJ?

Two guys I see stepping up to bring more leadership are KJ and Frank Clark.
    BWags always has been a leader. KJ has been a leader.
    Frank Clark is the one who steps into more of a leadership role this year with Bennett gone, Avril apparently out of the picture. And of course, Shaq(uille) Griffin.

Aside from players, of course Ken Norton Jr. will be bringing the fire and brimstone, for that part of the leadership picture.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:21 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:No mention of KJ?

Two guys I see stepping up to bring more leadership are KJ and Frank Clark.
    BWags always has been a leader. KJ has been a leader.
    Frank Clark is the one who steps into more of a leadership role this year with Bennett gone, Avril apparently out of the picture. And of course, Shaq(uille) Griffin.

Aside from players, of course Ken Norton Jr. will be bringing the fire and brimstone, for that part of the leadership picture.

Good catch.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 am
  • If I remember correctly, Pete had mentioned something about Jarran Reed stepping up into a leadership role this past season.
    WpgHawkFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 am
  • Frank Clark and Jarran Reed were mentioned as guys stepping up towards the end of last season. I hope Shaq took in everything he could from Sherm last year and starts to carry over some of his attitude and cocky confidence.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 6:48 am
  • Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am
  • SeaWolv wrote:Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.

So. Much. Misplaced. Hyperbole.

Thomas is a five-time All Pro, six-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl champion, and the #1 reason the Seahawks led the NFL in scoring defense for an unprecedented four-consecutive years. He is the best safety in the game, a future HoFer, and has the respect of every person in that locker room. This isn't hyperbole . . . it's truth.
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 am
  • I don't see Earl as toxic at all. So he's a strange cat, who cares? He brings it on the field, every......single.......play.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu May 03, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 am
  • I can guarantee every single teammate respects him a whole lot more than some fans.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 03, 2018 6:59 am
  • He has been the heart of that D for years imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 7:00 am
  • original poster wrote:I can guarantee every single teammate respects him a whole lot more than some fans.

Of course. Because the players know what it's like to be a player and to not have control over whether the team decides to trade or re-sign you. Some fans don't get that.

Those fans also aren't in the locker room getting ready to go to battle with him.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 7:01 am

Legion of Bro's
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 am
  • Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu May 03, 2018 7:36 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:He has been the heart of that D for years imo.

Call comes in from the DC and goes through Wags. Wags calls it and makes adjustments for the fron seven in alignment. Kam, or whomever is playing SS can make adjustments for coverages (generally only Kam)

The FS is expected to do their job only. No one can even hear him, particularly in home games. The tradition of MLBs and SSs working together is for good reason and it's proxy to each other and the center of the D so they can distribute verbal communication due to noise levels. It is never the FS. It literally can't be.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu May 03, 2018 8:05 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.

Kam probably won't play, but he'll still be in the meeting and locker room.

Obviously he's one of the on field defensive leaders, so not minimizing his impact if absent. But I am clarifying that he's still on the roster, and will be coaching up the younger players and being an off the field leader in meetings and the locker room.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am
  • The fact that Bradley McDougald signed a multi-year deal could help him climb toward a leadership role over the next couple seasons.

That was another solid re-signing.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.

Kam probably won't play, but he'll still be in the meeting and locker room.

Obviously he's one of the on field defensive leaders, so not minimizing his impact if absent. But I am clarifying that he's still on the roster, and will be coaching up the younger players and being an off the field leader in meetings and the locker room.

Oh yeah, that's huge. Heard it last year.

Some...interesting things said about both safeties.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu May 03, 2018 8:58 am
  • Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates. A safety can be the leader of a D. It's my opinion, too tired to argue today...... :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates.

No. Week 15 of Earl's 8th season and the coaches are trying to get him to be more of a vocal leader.

Opinion has nothing to do with it.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 am
  • Because you say it, that makes it fact. You don't have to scream to be a leader. Leadership comes in many forms. But......Opinions are not allowed. Got it
    Go Hawks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Because you say it, that makes it fact. You don't have to scream to be a leader. Leadership comes in many forms. But......Opinions are not allowed. Got it
    Go Hawks

Indeed. Earl leads by example. You can also see him talking to players and making adjustments when needed.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 am
  • No one said anything about screaming. On top of that, last year was the opposite of being an example for Earl. The EXACT opposite. McDougald is more of a leader than Earl after half a season.

And he does not make adjustments. Stop lying.

You state "opinion" when you choose to ignore people who are actually IN the locker room and on the field with him. That's not an opinion. That's called a lie.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am
  • The Boom Brothers...
    FinNasty
    NET Rookie

Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 am
  • Whatever you say man. Find someone else to argue with, you seem to enjoy it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 am
  • The Corners and Earl communicate a lot pre snap and with hand signals based on the set and calls, when someone misses an assignment it is usually because they missed one of those signals. Sherm and Earl have both stated this. The defense is a cake with a few layers Bobby and Kam being that middle layer of frosting that the tow sides go back and forth in communications.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 04, 2018 11:52 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.

So. Much. Misplaced. Hyperbole.

Thomas is a five-time All Pro, six-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl champion, and the #1 reason the Seahawks led the NFL in scoring defense for an unprecedented four-consecutive years. He is the best safety in the game, a future HoFer, and has the respect of every person in that locker room. This isn't hyperbole . . . it's truth.

Show me where exactly in my post I said that anything I typed was fact. It's all opinion which is really the only thing this thread can be about. None of us has any idea who is going to emerge as THE leader on defense next season. So my comments can't be characterized as hyperbolic, they're opinions.

I never said anything about ET as a player. ET is the heart of the defense and he's given the Hawks a lot over the years. I would love to have him stay because I believe he's still got some mileage left to give but I don't want him in Seattle if he doesn't want to be there.

Based on comments he's made recently it would seem he may not want to stay. He's also called out some players in public for lack of performance and that may not sit well with them or others in the locker room. He held out of spring training and we don't really know if he'll sit out the season yet. Yes I know his agent said he'll play but who really knows for sure at this point. Even if he does play how do we know what kind of presence he's going to be in the locker room if he's disgruntled about his contract and not getting traded to the Cowboys. All of these things in my mind point to a potentiality for toxicity.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I don't see Earl as toxic at all. So he's a strange cat, who cares? He brings it on the field, every......single.......play.

Never said he was currently toxic but a lot has happened since season end that he may not be happy about and that COULD lead to some bad blood in the locker room.
    Last edited by SeaWolv on Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates.

No. Week 15 of Earl's 8th season and the coaches are trying to get him to be more of a vocal leader.

Opinion has nothing to do with it.

You guys are arguing two different sides of the same coin. There is a leader of the defense who gets the plays from the coaches and relays them to their unit and then there is the heart and soul of the unit that leads by actions and attitudes. Sometimes those roles can be performed by the same person like RW is now on O. However, when RW first got to Seattle he was the leader on O but Marshawn was the heart and soul. BW is the leader on D but ET is the heart and soul of the D.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information