Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

We are Al Davis's Raiders

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
We are Al Davis's Raiders
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 am
  • It seems almost every year now that JS/PC make their pick in the first round and we are left either scratching our heads or quickly trying to find who this player was that they just picked because he is nowhere to be found on any first round grade board. At the end of the day it's about results but of late this methodology has not seemed to work. In addition it seems like we get rooked on almost any trade we make. It reminds me of when Al Davis was around and made these "who" picks just to see the reaction of the league and try to show everyone that they are smarter then anyone else.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Re: We are Al Davis's Raiders
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 am
  • Seahawks haven't picked in the first round since 2013, I believe. Stop being disingenuous and just state that you are upset because you know better and the Hawks didn't pick who you wanted.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:51 am
  • We picked Germain Ifedi in the first round in 2016.

Al Davis Raiders were pretty successful for many years from what I recall.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 am

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:25 am
  • seabowl wrote:It seems almost every year now that JS/PC make their pick in the first round and we are left either scratching our heads or quickly trying to find who this player was that they just picked because he is nowhere to be found on any first round grade board. At the end of the day it's about results but of late this methodology has not seemed to work. In addition it seems like we get rooked on almost any trade we make. It reminds me of when Al Davis was around and made these "who" picks just to see the reaction of the league and try to show everyone that they are smarter then anyone else.

As the poster above stated, not sure how you consider the guy who led the nation in rushing as a "who". Would you have preferred Guice or Michel who both have legitimate knee concerns? We were terrible at rushing with backs who were constantly injured or caught a bad break, as well as needing help on the Oline. Not sure if they're done, but so far they have attempted to address those issues through free agency and the draft. What's not to like?
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 am
  • Not even close to being the "Al Davis Raiders". Come on, man! This team has never drafted a kicks in the first round. They've never drafted a similar player to Heyward-Bey in the first round. They've never drafted a Jamarcus Russell in the first round.

Penny is a legitimate RB. He fills probably the biggest need in the team had going into the draft. Carson is nice, but can you really count on him?

Personally, Penny was the top RB on my list in terms of how this team is looking to utilize a RB. We know their philosophy, and he first that to the tee.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:44 am
  • We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:00 am
  • getnasty wrote:We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.

Im wondering if the offers to trade down did not include a high enough 2nd round pick to ensure they got Penny... and with NE taking a RB they may have thought Penny wouldnt last through Round 1.

I see alot of people lamenting they couldve got Penny later (unknown) and moreso couldve waited to take another RB while grabbing an olineman or CB.

But what if Penny was THE guy they wanted? Why risk grabbing an olineman and settling for another RB they didnt really want?

Isn't that type of decisiveness something we would want from them?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 am
  • getnasty wrote: I agree we could have traded down once more to get him .

You willing to bet your house on that with fact someone asked to trade for him and the reports that the Browns had targetted him at 33?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 am
  • Now I see why RockHawk wants to sell this place.
    White Devil
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote: I agree we could have traded down once more to get him .

You willing to bet your house on that with fact someone asked to trade for him and the reports that the Browns had targetted him at 33?

Why does it have to be his house? JS and PC are the ones that made the call
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:29 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:

You never know when someone is gonna get picked so no but I'm willing to bet if we could have traded back into the early 2nd and pick up another pick we would have.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    getnasty wrote:We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.

Im wondering if the offers to trade down did not include a high enough 2nd round pick to ensure they got Penny... and with NE taking a RB they may have thought Penny wouldnt last through Round 1.

I see alot of people lamenting they couldve got Penny later (unknown) and moreso couldve waited to take another RB while grabbing an olineman or CB.

But what if Penny was THE guy they wanted? Why risk grabbing an olineman and settling for another RB they didnt really want?

Exactly!. I think they got the guy they wanted. I know very little about him, but if they got who they want, plus 2 more picks, I think we did well in round 1. Now weather he proves to be who they think he is, only time will tell. He does seem to fit the mold of what Pete wants at RB to me.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:25 am
  • Someone was clearly not alive during the Al Davis years wrote this. Al Davis would draft fast guys, every team in the league would know who the Davis raiders were going to draft after the 40-yard dash at the combine. Davis did not care that Darrius Heyward-Bey could not catch he only cared that he was sub 4.4 WR.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am
  • Al Davis also won a few Super Bowls, make fun all you want but his teams kicked the crap out of the rest of the league for a long time.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Al Davis also won a few Super Bowls, make fun all you want but his teams kicked the crap out of the rest of the league for a long time.

Sign me up for a lot of this^
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am
  • How many teams have a worse track record in the draft in the last five years? This is another illustration of how bad Schneider has become at the draft. We just drafted a rotational player for a roster riddled with holes. I don’t mind Penny, but I hate that Schneider and Carroll don’t give a damn about value anymore. This kid will have to be a far more productive player than the backs drafted tonight for this pick to make even remote sense.

They trade picks for veterans who aren’t worth their salt and when they do use picks they fall in love with one player and overdraft him. Ruskell hit on as many picks as Schneider has in the last five years. That’s the truth.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:55 am
  • Yeah, Schneider's had a rough few years, so what? What does that have to do with Penny at #27?
    Harvin, Graham, and Brown. Those bonehead trades of valuable picks killed our drafts as much as anything, tempted us to reach for million-dollar physical talents with dollar store brains, Christine Michael and now Malik McDowell, anyone?
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    getnasty wrote:We saw a huge drop off after Chris Carson got injured last year. Penny is a better player then Carson, I agree we could have traded down once more to get him but you have to have a partner to do that. I don't love the pick but I don't hate it. Al Davis would have traded up to draft a nobody, we at least traded back to get a good player.

Exactly!. I think they got the guy they wanted. I know very little about him, but if they got who they want, plus 2 more picks, I think we did well in round 1. Now weather he proves to be who they think he is, only time will tell. He does seem to fit the mold of what Pete wants at RB to me.

One thing I have learned from watching the NFL Draft, every player picked is "the guy they wanted" no matter the team and no matter the circumstance. It's written in stone. No one outside the War Room will ever be able to claim they know any different.
    Otherwise, I'm sure someone from the Chargers organization would have said, 'we were really hoping that the Colts would have taken Leaf so Manning could drop to us'.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm
  • Yeah we really wanted Ric Mirer over Bledsoe also.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:

Yep Browns, but I think the Pats would have grabbed him at 31.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 pm
  • endzorn wrote:How many teams have a worse track record in the draft in the last five years? This is another illustration of how bad Schneider has become at the draft. We just drafted a rotational player for a roster riddled with holes. I don’t mind Penny, but I hate that Schneider and Carroll don’t give a damn about value anymore. This kid will have to be a far more productive player than the backs drafted tonight for this pick to make even remote sense.

They trade picks for veterans who aren’t worth their salt and when they do use picks they fall in love with one player and overdraft him. Ruskell hit on as many picks as Schneider has in the last five years. That’s the truth.

Don’t know where you get the “rotational” business from, Penny is a 3 down back.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Al Davis' Raiders?

Really? The Hawks haven't picked early in the first round with a who pick ever.

I get you don't like the Penny pick and likely pan the trading down season after season too. However, I suspect your basis for the "pick value" of Penny is based upon some non head office draft "experts" who don't get fired if they get the pick wrong. Look at Penny's play in the Snr. Bowl, his record of last season, some film, his health, reported character, and combine results. This is a player that was criminally undervalued and one which likely fits our team better than you might be willing to acknowledge. Besides he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his wheels.

The more I see the more I like the pick. we all develop player blinkers and believe we understand their value but the team usually knows best how the player will fit in our scheme. Besides we don't have Coach Cable here to screw him up anymore.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:41 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    endzorn wrote:How many teams have a worse track record in the draft in the last five years? This is another illustration of how bad Schneider has become at the draft. We just drafted a rotational player for a roster riddled with holes. I don’t mind Penny, but I hate that Schneider and Carroll don’t give a damn about value anymore. This kid will have to be a far more productive player than the backs drafted tonight for this pick to make even remote sense.

Don’t know where you get the “rotational” business from, Penny is a 3 down back.

Not until he learns how to block. He's miserable in pass protection.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:10 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    endzorn wrote:How many teams have a worse track record in the draft in the last five years? This is another illustration of how bad Schneider has become at the draft. We just drafted a rotational player for a roster riddled with holes. I don’t mind Penny, but I hate that Schneider and Carroll don’t give a damn about value anymore. This kid will have to be a far more productive player than the backs drafted tonight for this pick to make even remote sense.

One doesn't get a lot of practice when one is carrying the whole offense, ask Wilson how great his run production last year was, he failed miserably didn't even gain a 1000 yards as our best running back.

Yeah it's tough being perfect at everything when your asked to do almost everything at the same time.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:42 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

1 thing. He is also really good in the passing game, that will get him in on 3rd down. He'll be doing a lot less blocking than Graham was asked to do.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

So you know more than our head coach and GM? Noted.
    They said in the presser he is a 3 down back.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm
  • Al Davis as head coach and general manager won multiple Super Bowls, until his health failed him. He was also the first owner to hire a black head coach.

His team was dominant for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 pm
  • How many rookie RB's CAN pass block? Very few are actually good at it. Zeke was the last one that stands out to me...I'm sure there's more but my point is most college backs aren't asked to pass block.

It is very coachable, the guy seems dedicated to the game so he will learn, I have no doubts.

The whole "this analyst said he's a 2nd round pick" is utterly ridiculous. John and Pete had the pick of the bunch, they could have picked any single RB outside of Barkley and they chose Penny, that tells you a lot.

There was no wondering if a player already taken was 'their guy', their guy was quite clearly Rashaad Penny.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information