What’s going on with Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/robstaton/status/982374432864899073[/tweet]

Updates on the Earl Thomas situation are few and far between but Jason La Canfora is still suggesting a trade is on the cards:

The Giants are not inclined to pay Beckham what the market will yield him elsewhere, and, likewise, Thomas is not in line to get another payday from Seattle at this point. Both teams are transitioning – if not rebuilding – and holding on to these star players won’t make much sense. Beckham’s holdout would be a mess for the Giants, and while Thomas won’t fetch the first-and-third the Seahawks hoped for, he’ll land multiple other picks.

La Canfora predicts Thomas will be dealt before the start of the draft — in three weeks time.

This still feels like a stalemate. The Seahawks are clearly open to offers but don’t want to lose a future Hall-of-Famer on the cheap. Interested parties know the Seahawks are re-tooling and need picks. The longer they wait, the more likely it is the price comes down.

So the wait goes on. And it could go on beyond the draft. ‘No deal’ is a possibility. It has to be. You can’t just give Thomas away. Then the Seahawks run the risk of losing Thomas in free agency for no more than a comp pick in 2019. Franchising him is an option — but this is a team seemingly unwilling to hand out big contracts at the moment.

You might say, why don’t they just keep him? And they might. But I think we can say with some certainty now — they won’t be giving him a third contract. So one way or another a parting of ways is on the cards. Whether that’s in the next three weeks, a year or two years.

Why would they even entertain moving him? It’s not an easy question to answer on the outside looking in. But it looks like it comes down to two things:

1. A desire to avoid long, expensive contracts for ageing players
2. A need to replenish the lost draft stock

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/whats-goin ... ell-wilson

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trading either of these 2 would be beyond dumb.
I think at times JS and PC get a little “overconfident” in their drafting/trading ability’s.
Rarely do you get better by trading away your best players, especially when you haven’t drafted that well for a few years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why is it dumb?
If your not going to win SB's with those two then it's time to get younger and healthy cap wise.
Why wait in 2-3 years when they are old and bring nothing but hell to the cap situation
and you cannot trade them for much if anything.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is what happens when the media gets involved, the titles disgruntled, cancers, etc start getting thrown around and a players stock starts to drop like Shermans did, now you have teams that will low ball because they feel your in a market of need to unload. Not that the player has lost anything yet, but because your on record as saying you want to move them. It's why we seem to get less then what we think a players value is where teams like the Patriots and Rams appear to get more then value.

kf3339

Reaction score
I don't think they need to rush a deal before the draft and see nothing wrong with a first day of the draft deal going down. There can be just as much argument that a first day team may not get the guy they want and will see a better use of a later first round pick and another late 2nd or early third day pick for ET.

It may even just be a early 2nd and 3rd, or something like that at the end of the first day. Too soon to say right now.

But I really think it is time to move on from the last LOB member that will suit up again (Kam is done).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1yxllz9m said:
Why is it dumb?
If your not going to win SB's with those two then it's time to get younger and healthy cap wise.
Why wait in 2-3 years when they are old and bring nothing but hell to the cap situation
So using your logic you are good with trading Wagner and KJ too?
Both are expensive and their stock will never be higher right?

BTW cap space already opens up in 2019 and even more in 2020.

You either keep Russ and Earl (preferred IMHO) or you dump/trade all of your high priced talent.

Half assing rebuilds is how you get the 2003-2017 Seattle Mariners type teams that are stuck in mediocrity hell for a decade plus.

Crap or get off the pot when it comes to rebuilding.

toffee

Reaction score
2_0_6":1fh92hu0 said:
I for sure think Earl gets traded within a week or so.

Cleveland needs a safety real bad, they also need stars to help selling tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":1c2utqng said:
2_0_6":1c2utqng said:

Cleveland needs a safety real bad, they also need stars to help selling tickets.

So will Seattle if they do what some here want.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":opp6fd1m said:
IndyHawk":opp6fd1m said:
Why is it dumb?

You either keep Russ and Earl (preferred IMHO) or you dump/trade all of your high priced talent.

Half assing rebuilds is how you get the 2003-2017 Seattle Mariners type teams that are stuck in mediocrity hell for a decade plus.

Wagner is younger and a great piece to rebuild around..KJ not so much

IndyHawk

Reaction score
toffee":j1zjfnl5 said:
2_0_6":j1zjfnl5 said:

Notice the Browns got rid of every QB except that one they got recently.
A Earl and RW trade would bring a lot of their nice picks..Just saying that
They will pay them two and have plenty of space to do so easily and they need
to win now.
We clear the space and grab say Darnold and a nice RB?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2nn4cr7m said:
IndyHawk":2nn4cr7m said:
Why is it dumb?

Which team did Bobby or KJ ask to come and get them? Also, which of them called out team mates' performance? I love Earl, but if we are rebuilding as it seems, trade him and take the picks.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
All media BS
Have a heart to heart and come to an agreement with earl and Wilson is good as is with a new deal coming and many years left in that tank I think the whole things made up and overblown cuz ,,, there is zero else to get clicks on your freakin site otherwise and advertisers want clicks and you wanna pay your mortgage :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :177692: :177692: :177692: :177692: :177692:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3l4yk5ni said:
toffee":3l4yk5ni said:
2_0_6":3l4yk5ni said:

Notice the Browns got rid of every QB except that one they got recently.
A Earl and RW trade would bring a lot of their nice picks..Just saying that
They will pay them two and have plenty of space to do so easily and they need
to win now.
We clear the space and grab say Darnold and a nice RB?
Darnold is severely over-rated IMHO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":154spz4l said:
Sports Hernia":154spz4l said:
IndyHawk":154spz4l said:
Why is it dumb?

Which team did Bobby or KJ ask to come and get them? Also, which of them called out team mates' performance? I love Earl, but if we are rebuilding as it seems, trade him and take the picks.
So you want to punish him because he hurt your feelings??? LOL, alrighty then.

My point is if you are going to rebuild, go ALL IN, get maximum number of picks, getting maximum cap space by getting rid of huge contracts, thusly severely reducing time of rebuild and making your team a super bowl contender sooner.

Half assing a rebuild will only lengthen the time the team will suck and not contend.
Like I said I’d rather keep Earl and Russ, but don’t want to see some half assed rebuild.

original poster

Reaction score
Russ is going nowhere.

Earl is likely gone IMO.

I’m predicting Tampa trades for him, giving their 2nd this year + 5th this year and second next year.

adeltaY

Reaction score
So if we trade Russell Wilson for draft picks and get Barkley and a QB, will the team be better? We will have a lot more money to extend Duane Brown, Frank Clark (which I think we should do anyway), and??? There are no FAs worth signing to big contracts right now so it won't help us much this season, even if our offense improves more than if we would've kept Wilson. We could re-sign Jarran Reed next year and buy some shiny new FAs! I keep reading here how that's going to blow up for the Rams but I'm bet it'll be totally justifiable when we do it.

Also, Earl Thomas is around 14 months older than Bobby Wagner... there really isn't that big of an age difference.