Schneider says 'Trust the process'

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“It’s a constant reset every single year, it doesn’t stop,” Schneider said. “When I say ‘reset’ people are like, ‘Well it’s a rebuild.’ We’re not rebuilding; it’s just a reset. We’ve got some pretty good players on this football team. And there’s a lot of young players that people don’t necessarily – they haven’t heard their names yet. I remember going through this when we traded Josh Wilson, and Kelly Jennings and Marcus Trufant were here. And nobody knew who Byron Maxwell, and Richard Sherman, and Walter Thurmond were…

“I’m telling you man, there’s a lot of good young football players that people don’t know about. Tedric Thompson was one of our best special teams players this last year. He didn’t get to play much at strong safety. Kam [Chancellor] was one of our best special teams players the first year he played. He didn’t get to play strong safety because Lawyer [Milloy] was here. Trust the process, man.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/432025/jo ... e-process/

Similar NFL Network interview:
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2018/03/2 ... fl-network

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was following along with him and then he mentioned Kelly Jennings.....that instantly dropped his point a couple of notches.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I will trust him when he can start drafting better and stop throwing away picks for rentals.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I’m very open to this case being the exception that proves the rule, but whenever I hear a GM utter a variant on the phrase “this is not a rebuild” I re-write it in my head as being “we’re still twelve months off from acknowledging what everyone else already knows and calling this a rebuild.”

That said, we’re only a decade or so in on the most recent QB revolution, and I’m not totally convinced a team can actually be in a rebuild these days if they have a good QB.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23nvolw3 said:
I was following along with him and then he mentioned Kelly Jennings.....that instantly dropped his point a couple of notches.

my thoughts exactly, who were these fans stressing out over replacing Jennings?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1purgdzs said:
I will trust him when he can start drafting better and stop throwing away picks for rentals.

This 1000%

themunn

Reaction score
I think he's saying fans were stressing out over trading Josh Wilson

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
themunn":1zf2ebvc said:

Yeah, he's just saying change occurs in the NFL and providing some examples. Some fans were stressing out about trading Josh Wilson in 2010. And they had Kelly Jennings and Marcus Trufant at CB before the LOB arrived. Those were two separate but related thoughts, I think. Trufant wasn't even traded.

Exhibit A
The purge continues.

Am I angry? Yes I am angry.

Here's the skinny: Josh Wilson is a 25-year old corner and former second-round pick that has amassed in three seasons, and mostly on very poor pass defenses, more value than an average fifth-round pick amasses in their entire career. He is a ball hawk and an impresario of the pick six. In two seasons starting, he has six interceptions and three returned for touchdowns. Wilson has averaged 43.5 yards per interception.

2010 is his contract year. Wilson is due $550,000 on the back end of a four-year deal.

Josh Wilson was my second favorite Seahawk, for whatever that's worth.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/8/31/16 ... osh-wilson

themunn

Reaction score
hawknation2018":don0eimn said:
themunn":don0eimn said:

Yeah, he's just saying change occurs in the NFL and providing some examples. Some fans were stressing out about trading Josh Wilson in 2010. And they had Kelly Jennings and Marcus Trufant at CB before the LOB arrived. Those were two separate but related thoughts, I think. Trufant wasn't even traded.

Exhibit A
The purge continues.

Here's the skinny: Josh Wilson is a 25-year old corner and former second-round pick that has amassed in three seasons, and mostly on very poor pass defenses, more value than an average fifth-round pick amasses in their entire career. He is a ball hawk and an impresario of the pick six. In two seasons starting, he has six interceptions and three returned for touchdowns. Wilson has averaged 43.5 yards per interception.

2010 is his contract year. Wilson is due $550,000 on the back end of a four-year deal.

Interestingly we traded up a couple spots using that pick received to select Richard Sherman

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hl3y22j2 said:
God forbid we judge the product on the field this fall when we can judge in the off-season.

That's a good point, but what else would we even talk about now? What's the fun in off season football if we refrain from predicting how certain moves are going to play out?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
themunn":1wm3hxzl said:
hawknation2018":1wm3hxzl said:
themunn":1wm3hxzl said:

Exhibit A
The purge continues.

Interestingly we traded up a couple spots using that pick received to select Richard Sherman

Oh boy. I was mad over Josh Wilson, too. One of the few times I agreed with John Morgan on anything, and I regret it. Let's see what else Morgan had to say:

Josh Wilson...is an excellent nickelback, a sound and sometimes punishing open field tackler (Wilson forced three fumbles in 2008) that has shown improving cover skills. His tools, minus his height, are off the charts. He ran a legitimate 4.39 forty at the 2007 NFL Combine. That showing bests all defensive backs in the 2010 class. Every single one of them. 58 of the very best talents in college football, including Eric Berry, Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays, and not one ran a faster forty than Wilson.

The recovery of Walter Thurmond and emergence of Roy Lewis means Seattle is dealing from a position of strength. That, Wilson's looming contract, and a narrow commitment to "building through the draft" is the justification for this move. A realistic evaluation of Wilson's talent and the true value of a fifth-round pick is the damning reality.

Oops. Swing and a miss on that comparison, Johnny boy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Schneider made 2 of the worst FA decisions in Seahawk history. Depending how you grade, potentially in the top 10.

1 - He let Golden Tate go, costing us at least 1 SB win.

2 - He traded Unger, destroying our run game. Something our defense depended on.

Not even counting the damage he did on the Harvin acquisition.

Those moves turned us from a team going to SBs to a team struggling to get the wildcard.

He has done a lot more negative than positive impact moves lately.

So I would say he has lost the benefit of the doubt. Based on his recent track record there is no way to trust any process he is the engineer of.

Decimation

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3owuy2r4 said:
Schneider made 2 of the worst FA decisions in Seahawk history. Depending how you grade, potentially in the top 10.

1 - He let Golden Tate go, costing us at least 1 SB win.

2 - He traded Unger, destroying our run game. Something our defense depended on.

Not even counting the damage he did on the Harvin acquisition.

Those moves turned us from a team going to SBs to a team struggling to get the wildcard.

He has done a lot more negative than positive impact moves lately.

So I would say he has lost the benefit of the doubt. Based on his recent track record there is no way to trust any process he is the engineer of.

To be fair, yes, he let Golden Tate go which could have helped our chances tremendously the following year. And letting Unger go was a terrible decision at the time with our offensive line, but at least we obtained Justin Britt which has helped compensate for the loss. I’m hoping he pulls off a good trade come draft time to yield some of those picks we lost due to trading for players who aren’t even here anymore.

But let’s not forget the fact our defense failed to yield that 10 point lead in the Super Bowl when we were up 24-14.

Who knows if JS can pull off some good drafts like he did the first couple years. Picking up players like Wilson in the 3rd, Chancellor and Sherman in the later rounds along with Bwagz in the the 2nd round is incredible and not many front offices have been able to pull off. That’s not even including all the smart decisions he made to get some really good players which helped us win our first Super Bowl.

We know he has an eye for talent — but as of recent, these past couple drafts have not lived up to our expectations. I’m hoping JS and Pete can bring us back to the top. Time will tell though.

djb28

Reaction score
This kinda crap didn't happen when The Walrus was in charge!

Decimation

Reaction score
djb28":1hysq2dk said:
This kinda crap didn't happen when The Walrus was in charge!

Which is why we need to be thankful for what he can and will do. Ruskell had his downfalls obviously, with the poison pill and stuff, but I believe JS can replicate the success our team really needs.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Maybe the process actually is worth trusting in this case, but most times a manager/GM uses this phrase it's when they know they're screwing things up and are trying to insult the fans' intelligence.

Decimation

Reaction score
ducks41468":nysczuio said:
Maybe the process actually is worth trusting in this case, but most times a manager/GM uses this phrase it's when they know they're screwing things up and are trying to insult the fans' intelligence.

Not a bad way to think of the “process”

JSPC know they have messed up in different ways. They felt the players they were wanting to acquire would help us out, obviously it didn’t work out but I’m optimistic with the way they draft future stars.