Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Who will our back up be?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Who will our back up be?
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am
  • StaffAmerica74 wrote:You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

So what? Everyone in the organization knows Russ is the QB. Let the talking heads talk. It means nothing.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:05 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:
    StaffAmerica74 wrote:You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

So what? Everyone in the organization knows Russ is the QB. Let the talking heads talk. It means nothing.

Because having that ever present drama sitting on the bench all season having reporters constantly asking him drama questions isn't worth it for a backup QB.

This is a team that's making a concerted effort to get rid of players that are causing drama, not bringing them in.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 am
  • THE SANCHIZE.

Book it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am
  • Our Man in Chicago wrote:Kaep would immediately be the best backup in the league. I'm pulling for a signing.

Wishful thinkin'....I doubt we have enough CAP for Kaep.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am
  • But Sanchez is better than Davis or Boykin ever were. He did play in 2 AFC Championships.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:I want Johnny "Football" Manziel!!!!

Why?

I wouldn't let Manziel step foot in the facility even if he offered his services free of charge. He has had many chances to get his act together over the course of his very privileged life and has chosen not to each and every time. He loves fame, partying, and money, not football.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

UGH! NO!!! Dude has no presence and no confidence on the field anymore. :pukeface:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am
  • I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

I have no idea if Kaep would bring to much of a Circus to town, but I trust PC/JS on evaluating that.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:But Sanchez is better than Davis or Boykin ever were. He did play in 2 AFC Championships.

That Jets team had a very good defense and running game. They very well might have won a Super Bowl if they had a decent starting QB.

For a veteran backup though? Sure. It seems at this point in his career he just kind of keeps a low profile and does his job helping the starter prepare. I wouldn't pay him anything more than the vet min on a 1 year deal though and would fully expect to lose any games he had to play a significant role in.

I would prefer they bring in a young prospect like Lauletta though that could possibly develop into an asset to the team in the future.

To be clear, I'm of the belief that we're probably not winning much, if at all, if we lose Russ so I'd rather see a young prospect that could possibly develop into something than a veteran who would most likely just be a warm body to throw to the wolves until the season was over or Russ was ready to play.
    Last edited by Chapow on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

As long as whomever they bring in isn't given a large guarantee, I'm open for bringing in anyone (well anyone who isn't likely to be more trouble than they're worth) to the camps and see how they do. We have plenty of time to decide on who will best suit the team as the in season back up. Right now we just need to get bodies in between now and the first mini camp and see what fits.

I agree with bodies in camp and if brought in, I hope he's the first cut.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am
  • Greenhell wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Greenhell wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

I agree with bodies in camp and if brought in, I hope he's the first cut.

It's merely philosophical, but we do differ here. If someone is brought in, I hope they are successful here. That success that I want to see comes in the form of on the field (even the sideline for a backup) and off the field, in their personal lives. If they bring in a quarterback (as that's the position we are discussing here) that I don't believe in, I won't be hoping he is cut soon, I'll hope he somehow shows that he can fit into our offense and play good football. That won't always be the case, and I'll shed no tears for those cut whom I didn't really believe in to begin with, but I won't hope for them to be so bad as to get cut quickly. It's just not in my fandom DNA. Obviously we all aren't the same, so don't take this as your thoughts on the matter being wrong. I just wanted to explain where our difference appears to lie on this type of acquisition.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am
  • bbsplitter wrote:I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

I have no idea if Kaep would bring to much of a Circus to town, but I trust PC/JS on evaluating that.

this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 am
  • bbsplitter wrote:I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

Which they have already done. They’ve had 2 years to bring him in as a backup and haven’t done so yet. Why is the release of Boykin all of a sudden what triggers this move? Boykin didn’t even make the 53 last year and was only signed to a futures co tract this year. He was a long shot to be our backup anyways. So releasing him changes what exactly that hasn’t been the case the last 2 years?
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    bbsplitter wrote:I think an interesting tidbit that is being forgotten is that fact that PC/JS wanted to "light a fire" under Russell, part of the reason they hired Schotty. I think a Kaepernick signing AND a QB drafted Round 5 or higher would give RW enough of a pause to kick up his game a bit. Also the Hawks might try some interesting things in the next year or 2 considering RW negotiations are coming up, and seeing how ridiculous QB contracts have gotten. They are going to want some sort of leverage. (Not that Kaep is any sort of leverage, just saying they might try some "interesting" things to improve competition/not sign RW a blank check)

Which they have already done. They’ve had 2 years to bring him in as a backup and haven’t done so yet. Why is the release of Boykin all of a sudden what triggers this move? Boykin didn’t even make the 53 last year and was only signed to a futures co tract this year. He was a long shot to be our backup anyways. So releasing him changes what exactly that hasn’t been the case the last 2 years?

Richard Sherman is gone. Earl Thomas is in trade talks. Bennett was traded. All of the sudden signing Kaepernick, would be the least surprising out of all the changes that the Hawks have been making.

I agree with you that they have had 2 years to do so, but we are seeing a lot of change this year, and I don't think we should immediately dismiss a possible signing just because they didn't do it the past 2 years. The time might be right, or he might be too big of a distraction and they don't do it, but I am not dismissing the possibility.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am
  • I am dismissing the possibility.
    Go Hawks.
    Sealake80
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am
  • Kaepernick on a min deal is a no brainer to me.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:The biggest issue with Kaep is whether he would accept backup money to play here. My guess is that he would at this point, given that no other team is likely to offer him squat because he is controversial.

TBF he already took a workout with Seattle last off season for what was clearly a backup role, so him not being willing to be backup is a non-issue, IMO.

StaffAmerica74 wrote: hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

On what is this based? He spent half a year as Gabbert's backup and from all accounts (including Gabbert's) he was very helpful in that role.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am
  • Sealake80 wrote:I am dismissing the possibility.

yeah me too.

The Seahawks have clearly made it a point to rid themselves of distractions as they try and build a team that looks more for the future than the present.

While i have no issue with Kaep... he still brings a distraction. I dont see the Hawks wanting to invest in that at this time.

It's also a potential conflict with Wilson as well, regardless of how Kaep did with Gabbert. He may be the best assistant to the starting QB there is... there's still always the potential for conflict if RW was to struggle (which seems likely)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:
    StaffAmerica74 wrote:You dont sign a guy like kaep he would bring all the cameras and hes not the type to be content to be a backup.

Because having that ever present drama sitting on the bench all season having reporters constantly asking him drama questions isn't worth it for a backup QB.

This is a team that's making a concerted effort to get rid of players that are causing drama, not bringing them in.

Exactly. I don't understand why some here just don't get that this type of distraction is being cleared out for a big reason. It's about team, and playing for your brother, not individual agenda's anymore.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am
  • It's not gonna' happen so.........
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:40 am
  • pcbball12 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    vigilantgrrl wrote:How about someone who can actually compete with and/or push Wilson?

Such as?

Kaepernick! Hoping our ownership will grow a pair and sign him.

Why would the release of Boykin all of a sudden cause our front office to sign Kaep? As if Boykin was a lock as our backup so there was no point to sign a legit option? If Kaep wasn’t an option before the release of Boykin, the release of him is not going to suddenly change that. Isn’t Paul Allen one of the owners in the lawsuit brought on by Kaep? He will never be a Seahawk if that is the case.

When Boykin first got in trouble years ago, I asked, "Why not Kaep?" Kaep had decent stats even with the 49ers' terrible performance in 2014 through 2016. More important, he knew the SEA playbook. What UFA options are exactly better?

Most backups aren't starter quality. Most play an occasional snap here or there. Why wouldn't he be worth a camp body?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am
  • The money was everything with Kaep.

Probably still is as he thinks he's worth more than the league thinks he is.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 am
  • No doubt, it's very telling that not ONE team gave him a chance all of last season. And hasn't yet this off season.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:02 pm
  • Amazing how much hand wringing there is over a position that hasn't needed to take meaningful snap in 6 years. This should be somewhere around #28 most important position so fill IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm
  • To hell with Craporpick. I will try to not make this political, just trying to list the facts.

Here is why he is not already employed:

*MOD EDIT* *EVERY REASON WAS POLITICAL*

I apologize to the mods if this is too political. Again, I just tried to state the facts without taking a side other than to say "Hell NO!" to signing him.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:20 pm
  • After we sign someone, new thread: “is X a top 5 back up qb, as of now?”
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 pm
  • Truth. And after Russ throws his first pick, they'll be wanting the backup in there.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Well Sanchez would sort of correct the draft pick issue with everyone wanting him instead of Curry :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's not gonna' happen so.........

Yet we will continue to discuss it ad nauseam for six more pages.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:24 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well Sanchez would sort of correct the draft pick issue with everyone wanting him instead of Curry :)

At least Sanchez stuck around long enough to become a household name.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:The time is meow to start a Pats type plan. Ironically, I hear the Pats are interested in this one.

This is the guy I was going to mention. We'd be able to trade him for a day 1 pick in a few years.

OR

RW gets seriously injured and we have something to grow while saving 30M and still get a 1st for RW in his last contract year on the comeback trail.

Picking up a QB prospect isn't black and white. RW could easily get Shermed. If he slows down he can't scramble. There's a reality that the NFL is a business.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:22 pm
  • They can't sign Manziel.

Would be a PR nightmare if they signed him and not Kaep because of the "drama".

Manziel struck his GF, you can't bring him in and not bring in Kaep a year earlier, or even now.

Because Kaep got the closest to signing with us, the negative PR would fall entirely on the Seahawks if they did in fact sign Manziel.

Avoid!
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:32 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:To hell with Craporpick. I will try to not make this political, just trying to list the facts.

I apologize to the mods if this is too political. Again, I just tried to state the facts without taking a side other than to say "Hell NO!" to signing him.

Hahaha mods that made me laugh. Good one
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:52 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:The money was everything with Kaep.

Probably still is as he thinks he's worth more than the league thinks he is.

SEA didn't offer at his visit. He may have demanded more than SEA thought he was worth. Or other reasons.

A visit is not camp. It'll be obvious what his football skills are in camp. If he has the skills, offer him league minimum and a year. I don't see a lotta better UFA options out there, and let's face it, most drafted QBs aren't Carr or Goff instantly.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:

Exactly. I don't understand why some here just don't get that this type of distraction is being cleared out for a big reason. It's about team, and playing for your brother, not individual agenda's anymore.

Kaep's distractions aren't about DV or DUIs or failing drug tests or not showing up for OTAs, etc. His distractions ARE distractions, but then we get all distracted about them. Can we not do that and stick to football related questions? Having a draft or rookie in backup QB position did not work out for us. Most draftees aren't ready. Yeah, Carr. But usually not. Usually having a UTA works better. So if not Kaep, what are the options here?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:To hell with Craporpick. I will try to not make this political, just trying to list the facts.

Let me try again.
    Kaep's actions have had a detrimental effect on the NFL's bottom line. No owner wants this.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm
  • Is Krapper still a vegan? He lost a ton of weight and hardly looked like the athlete he was back in his glory days. If he signed a league min 1 year deal ok but I doubt he would take it.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:54 pm
  • Hawkfish wrote:if it's truly about competition, they will sign Kaep.

It's only truly about competition "most of the time", except for when it's not like coaching or superstars.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:To hell with Craporpick. I will try to not make this political, just trying to list the facts.

Let me try again.
    Kaep's actions have had a detrimental effect on the NFL's bottom line. No owner wants this.

I fully understand this. However, discussing this gets ugly and gets the topic locked. This is why I want to keep it to can this person be a reasonable backup football-wise.

So put aside the distractions that will make this convo impossible at least so we can have the convo.

Is Kaep is a reasonable choice football-wise at league minimum for a year? If not, who is the alternative?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:23 pm
  • So we cut/trade guys to lessen the noise and get back to the roots but then go sign Kaep??? Don't get me wrong even as much as I hated the instagram nonsense posting Kaep when 49ers were relevant, he has has definitely grown from that immaturity since then leaps and bounds. I do believe also hasn't gotten the fairest of treatment from stance since but also just really isn't that good enough all around, zero touch. Ultimately he isn't going to take traditional back up cash and why bring in another whirl wind of media by signing him. Give me Davis again, kid is underrated, no Russ but then again n one is. Kid is more than serviceable.
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm

You think they need to light a fire underneath the guy who was 90% of the offense last season? Even worse ... you think hiring the social justice warrior to look over the shoulder of the “not black enough” qb will some how motivate more out of Russell and the team? Well that’s just asinine! Actually that’s so crazy it’s assaten!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 pm
  • Sanchez stinks, Austin Davis is better at this juncture not by much but still.

If Sanchez is really brought in, Pete is no longer competing, he is just playing favorites at that point.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:16 am
  • Just bring back Clipboard J Whitehurst & call it a day.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 am
  • We were finally able to jettison Bennett and Sherman. No way I want Kaep here. Austin Davis will do as far as I'm concerned.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 am
  • Fade wrote:Sanchez stinks, Austin Davis is better at this juncture not by much but still.

If Sanchez is really brought in, Pete is no longer competing, he is just playing favorites at that point.

That was my initial feeling also, but I have no real solid proof. I thought Davis was a decent choice to carry the clipboard and call the OT coin toss.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 am
  • Sanchez had his best years under Schottenheimer. That (coupled with Pete’s connection to Sanchez) is what makes him a very realistic option.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 am
  • Byron Leftwich
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 am
  • Fade wrote:Sanchez stinks, Austin Davis is better at this juncture not by much but still.

Lol.

Dude you gotta have a backup plan (for the backup) if Davis signs elsewhere.

Russell's one of the most durable QB's in the league, are we really freaking out which journeyman backup QB we're signing for 850k?

I'd rather have Davis, he was here last year. But if someone else gives him more money? Then I'm fine with Sanchez holding the clipboard.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 am
  • At least he has plenty of experience. Including two AFC Championships. Yes, they got there on D, but he always was the QB behind center. Not saying he's a great QB, but certainly good enough to be a backup.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information