Seahawks Sign DT (formerly of the Vikings) Tom Johnson

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Some more added depth on the defensive line is well needed.

Seems to be a very similar deal to Marcus Smith from yesterday.

Anyone know much about him?

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
From a Vikings fan -

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jcord842118/status/977200436330532864[/tweet]

drrew

Reaction score
Johnson is a pretty good two down DT, not going to make many splash plays, but he can definitely hold his own at the line of scrimmage and create space for Bobby to make plays behind him.

sutz

Reaction score
drrew":3a1hq4md said:
Johnson is a pretty good two down DT, not going to make many splash plays, but he can definitely hold his own at the line of scrimmage and create space for Bobby to make plays behind him.
Every team needs a couple of those guys.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
His first few years in Minnesota, he was a beast. 12 sacks in 2 years. Haven't really noticed him much lately. I think he's getting up there in age.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Like this move a lot. Additional depth on the DL is not a bad thing.

RCATES

Reaction score
Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.

iigakusei

Reaction score
RCATES":1oewg3x4 said:
Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.
Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1wjululo said:
Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

From what I've read he can rush, but expect him to be good, not great.

Couple of sacks a season type guy.

RCATES

Reaction score
iigakusei":eo6lset6 said:
RCATES":eo6lset6 said:
Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

I don't doubt that he's a quality back-up for added depth. Just pointing out the obvious that we aren't making much of a attempt to sign difference makers (Suh, Richardson, Wilkerson etc.) thus pointing to a rebuild.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
RCATES":kgsmccjr said:
iigakusei":kgsmccjr said:
RCATES":kgsmccjr said:

I don't doubt that he's a quality back-up for added depth. Just pointing out the obvious that we aren't making much of a attempt to sign difference makers (Suh, Richardson, Wilkerson etc.) thus pointing to a rebuild.

Don't worry, we heard you in all the other posts you've been banging on about it in.

It doesn't need to be a highlight in every single post you make.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The upside of all these DTs we keep bringing in is that we likely will not be wasting a draft pick on a DT.

I am so tired of this love affair our FO has with DTs that cannot rush the passer.

If signing an average DT means we won't be blowing draft picks on DTs when we have needs all over the place and when DTs that can rush the passer are not really ever going to be easy to come by in the draft without a high draft cost - then I am good with it.

Not that I am tremendously optimistic about our ability to make great draft picks anymore, but if we can at least keep from wasting them in places they really are not needed? Sure.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RCATES":3sfvg7zm said:

:lol:

They still have to field a team in 2018, what do you want them to do?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I was listening to Brock and Salk's conversation on this heading in to work this morning. I tend to agree with Brock's take -- on paper, this appears to be a solid signing. He equated him (in this defense) to a Tony McDaniel ... or Alan Branch in terms of what he'll give you. He's a veteran who knows what he can do ... and what he can't. He's not flashy -- just solid across the board. A space eater DT. Given the price ... that's not a bad thing whatsoever. We need a guy like this.

Personally, I also agree that I think that this pretty much definitely signals that Ndamukong Suh isn't coming to Seattle. I'd say that given the current reports and rumors that he's likely to sign elsewhere. And frankly, I honestly don't know if that's such a bad thing. I've followed the NFL most of my life ... and I'd say more times than not, these high priced FA signings fall short of expectations. Be honest in considering Sheldon Richardson for a second. Now, we all know what he CAN do. We've seen the highlights and the dominant force that he CAN be ... BUT, was he truly dominant (a game changing) kind of player last year? He most certainly flashed that dominance at times ... but I don't know that I can honestly say he was Cortez Kennedy circa 1992. That's not who I saw. Same argument can potentially be made in Suh's case. You're talking about a guy who's 31 years old. He's good (don't get me wrong) -- I just don't know if he's been a great player the last couple of years. Is he honestly worth the $12+ Million he's going to command? On paper maybe -- there's a chance he can be that dominant force ... BUT history says that more times than not, older veterans who are signed to big deals like this fail to fully live up to the contract.

In the end (stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture), I think I agree with the direction that I see Schneider and the Hawks currently taking. When this team was at its most dominant ... it was built primarily with talent through the draft. You supplement with guys that you buy low on ... but for the most part, build this thing back up through the draft, UDFA diamonds in the rough, and young talent. That's how we built that Super Bowl team and that's the direction I see us getting back to once again.

Good for Schneider and the Hawks for bucking the trend and going this route. On paper, I like the Tom Johnson signing. You need a lunch pail kind of veteran like this both to take his share of reps ... and also to be an example to younger players. I'm excited for the upcoming draft and to see exactly what this roster looks like heading into Minicamp.

AgentDib

Reaction score
RCATES":59cwvj9g said:
Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked.
They just gave up a compensatory pick to sign solid veteran rotational depth. That's the opposite of what you do if you're rebuilding. What "full on rebuild" manual have you been reading? Step 1: Sign a bunch of veterans on short deals. Step 2: ????