Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks Sign DT (formerly of the Vikings) Tom Johnson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Some more added depth on the defensive line is well needed.

Seems to be a very similar deal to Marcus Smith from yesterday.

Anyone know much about him?
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• From a Vikings fan -

www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Johnson is a pretty good two down DT, not going to make many splash plays, but he can definitely hold his own at the line of scrimmage and create space for Bobby to make plays behind him.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

• drrew wrote:Johnson is a pretty good two down DT, not going to make many splash plays, but he can definitely hold his own at the line of scrimmage and create space for Bobby to make plays behind him.

Every team needs a couple of those guys.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• His first few years in Minnesota, he was a beast. 12 sacks in 2 years. Haven't really noticed him much lately. I think he's getting up there in age.
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

• Like this move a lot. Additional depth on the DL is not a bad thing.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Seems like a steal.

Also, OP: formerly, not formally.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Seems like a steal.

Also, OP: formerly, not formally.

Don't know what you're talking about :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• RCATES wrote:Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.

Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

• Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

From what I've read he can rush, but expect him to be good, not great.

Couple of sacks a season type guy.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• iigakusei wrote:
    RCATES wrote:Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.

Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

I don't doubt that he's a quality back-up for added depth. Just pointing out the obvious that we aren't making much of a attempt to sign difference makers (Suh, Richardson, Wilkerson etc.) thus pointing to a rebuild.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Very happy with this.

Shrewd business.
    Gibbo
    NET Practice Squad

• RCATES wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:
    RCATES wrote:Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.

I don't doubt that he's a quality back-up for added depth. Just pointing out the obvious that we aren't making much of a attempt to sign difference makers (Suh, Richardson, Wilkerson etc.) thus pointing to a rebuild.

Don't worry, we heard you in all the other posts you've been banging on about it in.

It doesn't need to be a highlight in every single post you make.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• The upside of all these DTs we keep bringing in is that we likely will not be wasting a draft pick on a DT.

I am so tired of this love affair our FO has with DTs that cannot rush the passer.

If signing an average DT means we won't be blowing draft picks on DTs when we have needs all over the place and when DTs that can rush the passer are not really ever going to be easy to come by in the draft without a high draft cost - then I am good with it.

Not that I am tremendously optimistic about our ability to make great draft picks anymore, but if we can at least keep from wasting them in places they really are not needed? Sure.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.

:lol:

They still have to field a team in 2018, what do you want them to do?
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I was listening to Brock and Salk's conversation on this heading in to work this morning. I tend to agree with Brock's take -- on paper, this appears to be a solid signing. He equated him (in this defense) to a Tony McDaniel ... or Alan Branch in terms of what he'll give you. He's a veteran who knows what he can do ... and what he can't. He's not flashy -- just solid across the board. A space eater DT. Given the price ... that's not a bad thing whatsoever. We need a guy like this.

Personally, I also agree that I think that this pretty much definitely signals that Ndamukong Suh isn't coming to Seattle. I'd say that given the current reports and rumors that he's likely to sign elsewhere. And frankly, I honestly don't know if that's such a bad thing. I've followed the NFL most of my life ... and I'd say more times than not, these high priced FA signings fall short of expectations. Be honest in considering Sheldon Richardson for a second. Now, we all know what he CAN do. We've seen the highlights and the dominant force that he CAN be ... BUT, was he truly dominant (a game changing) kind of player last year? He most certainly flashed that dominance at times ... but I don't know that I can honestly say he was Cortez Kennedy circa 1992. That's not who I saw. Same argument can potentially be made in Suh's case. You're talking about a guy who's 31 years old. He's good (don't get me wrong) -- I just don't know if he's been a great player the last couple of years. Is he honestly worth the $12+ Million he's going to command? On paper maybe -- there's a chance he can be that dominant force ... BUT history says that more times than not, older veterans who are signed to big deals like this fail to fully live up to the contract.

In the end (stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture), I think I agree with the direction that I see Schneider and the Hawks currently taking. When this team was at its most dominant ... it was built primarily with talent through the draft. You supplement with guys that you buy low on ... but for the most part, build this thing back up through the draft, UDFA diamonds in the rough, and young talent. That's how we built that Super Bowl team and that's the direction I see us getting back to once again.

Good for Schneider and the Hawks for bucking the trend and going this route. On paper, I like the Tom Johnson signing. You need a lunch pail kind of veteran like this both to take his share of reps ... and also to be an example to younger players. I'm excited for the upcoming draft and to see exactly what this roster looks like heading into Minicamp.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• RCATES wrote:Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked.

They just gave up a compensatory pick to sign solid veteran rotational depth. That's the opposite of what you do if you're rebuilding. What "full on rebuild" manual have you been reading? Step 1: Sign a bunch of veterans on short deals. Step 2: ????
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:I was listening to Brock and Salk's conversation on this heading in to work this morning. I tend to agree with Brock's take -- on paper, this appears to be a solid signing. He equated him (in this defense) to a Tony McDaniel ... or Alan Branch in terms of what he'll give you. He's a veteran who knows what he can do ... and what he can't. He's not flashy -- just solid across the board. A space eater DT. Given the price ... that's not a bad thing whatsoever. We need a guy like this.

Personally, I also agree that I think that this pretty much definitely signals that Ndamukong Suh isn't coming to Seattle. I'd say that given the current reports and rumors that he's likely to sign elsewhere. And frankly, I honestly don't know if that's such a bad thing. I've followed the NFL most of my life ... and I'd say more times than not, these high priced FA signings fall short of expectations. Be honest in considering Sheldon Richardson for a second. Now, we all know what he CAN do. We've seen the highlights and the dominant force that he CAN be ... BUT, was he truly dominant (a game changing) kind of player last year? He most certainly flashed that dominance at times ... but I don't know that I can honestly say he was Cortez Kennedy circa 1992. That's not who I saw. Same argument can potentially be made in Suh's case. You're talking about a guy who's 31 years old. He's good (don't get me wrong) -- I just don't know if he's been a great player the last couple of years. Is he honestly worth the $12+ Million he's going to command? On paper maybe -- there's a chance he can be that dominant force ... BUT history says that more times than not, older veterans who are signed to big deals like this fail to fully live up to the contract.

In the end (stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture), I think I agree with the direction that I see Schneider and the Hawks currently taking. When this team was at its most dominant ... it was built primarily with talent through the draft. You supplement with guys that you buy low on ... but for the most part, build this thing back up through the draft, UDFA diamonds in the rough, and young talent. That's how we built that Super Bowl team and that's the direction I see us getting back to once again.

Good for Schneider and the Hawks for bucking the trend and going this route. On paper, I like the Tom Johnson signing. You need a lunch pail kind of veteran like this both to take his share of reps ... and also to be an example to younger players. I'm excited for the upcoming draft and to see exactly what this roster looks like heading into Minicamp.

This is true, but then again we don't know what Suh's new contract is at this point. If it is short of $10M per year then I will still say we could have used him as our 3tech. If it is $10M or higher I get your point. But this guy isn't a penetrating DT at all and we have seen this story for far too many seasons.

We shall see......
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

Averaged 4 a year with the Vikings.

We went to the SB with some DT named Clinton McDonald whose quiet work only got noticed after the fact.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

Averaged 4 a year with the Vikings.

We went to the SB with some DT named Clinton McDonald whose quiet work only got noticed after the fact.

I know, with 2 in 2016 and 2 in 2017.

History and science would say that's unlikely to rise in 2018 which is absolutely fine. I still love the signing personally. Having a highly experienced guy that seems well respected from Vikings fans with a relatively low contract sounds good to me.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• A Value Village signing. He's a steady Eddie reliable player.

The team still has holes at DT.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Joins Chris Gray on the all-name team.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• For what it's worth -

He had more pressures than Sheldon last season (23 vs 16)

He had more sacks than Sheldon last season

He costs roughly a quarter of Sheldon this year (seems to be a $2.1M base)
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• iigakusei wrote:

Glass almost empty? That's a glass half full outlook on his personality.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:For what it's worth -

Great stats ... and a great reminder for us all that in the right system and the right situation, a seemingly average player on paper can be highly productive. Scheme and how a given player is used coupled with a player's "want to" can have huge effects. The one thing that I keep hearing associated with Tom Johnson is that this guy brings it every single down he's out there. He's a hard working, give 100% kind of player. I for one am excited to see what his addition will mean for this D-Line moving forward.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• I've never heard of the guy to be honest. Everybody knew they were going to sign a DT though and here he is. .500 this season coming up would seem like a victory at this point.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    original poster wrote:For what it's worth -

Great stats ... and a great reminder for us all that in the right system and the right situation, a seemingly average player on paper can be highly productive. Scheme and how a given player is used coupled with a player's "want to" can have huge effects. The one thing that I keep hearing associated with Tom Johnson is that this guy brings it every single down he's out there. He's a hard working, give 100% kind of player. I for one am excited to see what his addition will mean for this D-Line moving forward.

That's very good information about him as a high effort signing. If we are going to sign a veteran DT we could have done a lot worse for ourselves.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    original poster wrote:For what it's worth -

So when listening to B and S, did they happen to say he would take 2 to cover him or is he handled somewhat with one Offensive lineman? As a placeholder, one would work for blitz action and could help with stunts if we decide to do some of them this season.

As a reminder, there are not many Offensive linemen coming out of College that have Offensive NFL style practice under their belt. Most are still like the article said a couple years ago working with the spread offense.

Thank you.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Great signing. Jarran Reed and Nazair Jones are going to be 2 really good DTs, and we don't need to throw a lot of money at anyone else because we don't have the money. People wanting big flashy signings don't pay attention to history. Those big flashy signings are always a waste.

Pete and John are budgeting for the future, when Russell's contract is up, and when our offensive line needs to get paid, as will some of the players we have drafted. They've had success not by signing big name free agents, but by drafting, bringing the players along, then giving the ones that deserve it, a 2nd contract.

We weren't able to keep Golden Tate because we had all of our money tied up in Percy Harvin. And paying him all that money only upset the other wide receivers when he was "always injured." Of course he healed up miraculously when we played Minnesota, Then was injured again. He also healed up and was able to play after we traded him away.

I wanted no part of Suh. He's going to be old and expensive, and you won't get the return on investment with him. He's said that he wants a big payday, which tells me that he's not in it to be a great football player, but instead to get a great paycheck.

I disagree that this team is in full rebuild. We got rid of a couple of elderly, injured players. That's how you keep winning, by not letting loyalty take you too far down the road to an old team. We were much better when we were one of the youngest teams in the league.

Shaquille Griffin is going to blow up this year and show that Pete and John still know how to draft. The rest of the DBs we picked last year will be eased in to the system, just like they did with Sherman, Kam, and Byron.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:For what it's worth -

Obviously I hope that he has a great Seahawks season but comparing like this doesn’t give a true representation

That is like ranking Britt high because all the pressure went against the scrubs on the sides of him. Made Britt look better

Same here. Vikings had a really good rotation so some role players are just going to benefit from others getting double teamed etc
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• It's not a bad sign but we r at 2010, Rams at 2013.
    I ain't got nothing to say. I just wanna play football.

- Marshawn Lynch
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:

"God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Nice veteran addition for the rotation. This is the type of add that has worked so well in the past ....... for both keeping a fresh line on the field and taking care of the cap. Back to the Future.

Good news indeed.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Good, cheap signing IMO. Fourth round comp picks are basically fifth rounders so I don't mind losing out on one for Johnson.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:
    RCATES wrote:<gloom and despair>

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees the glass as not optimally sized for the volume of the contents. :irishdrinkers:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Johnson was a key cog in the Vikings defense shutting down opposing offenses in 2017, registering a total of 31 QB pressures and 22 total defensive stops.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ree-agency

For comparison, Sheldon Richardson had 36 pressures last season.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Solid signing. If this were a depth signing last year I'd have been really excited about it, knowing on this team he's in the starting rotation is a little depressing. Not that he's not value and a good pick up but that, that is the best we can do.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Johnson was a key cog in the Vikings defense shutting down opposing offenses in 2017, registering a total of 31 QB pressures and 22 total defensive stops.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ree-agency

For comparison, Sheldon Richardson had 36 pressures last season.

Just shows how subjective pressures are.

Another website I read said Johnson had 23 while Sheldon had 16.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I suggest watching this video with the sound on mute. :lol:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• I kinda like this move.

JS seems to sign solid, rotational DLinemen, whether it's thru free agency or trades. Someone mentioned McDaniel and Branch, but you can throw in Raheem Brock, Rubin, Kevin Williams, McDonald, Clemons, etc. Even Avril and Bennett signed 1 year prove it deals. And look at what Marcus Smith and Dion Jordan did last year.

Many say we need splash players...well look at what Richardson did last year. And we have a lot of history of how splash players didn't meet expectations.

PS likes rotating players and I think he'll fit in nicely. He may not make a lot of plays, but either did McDaniel, Branch, Williams, Rudin, etc....but they occupied OLineman and allowed our LBs to make those splash plays.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:
    RCATES wrote:<gloom and despair>

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees the glass as not optimally sized for the volume of the contents. :irishdrinkers:

The realist drinks what is in the cup and asks for more while the other 3 argue. LOL :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Wasted $$. Bring in someone who will be there awhile. ie Johnathan Hankins, Ben Logan or even Shaman Stephen etc.
    Gcheck2181
    NET Bench Warmer

• Camp body. Guessing a few more signings like this to fill the roster a bit
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Camp body. Guessing a few more signings like this to fill the roster a bit

Guy played in 15 games for one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. 32 tackles, 2 sacks.

Why is he only a "camp body" here?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Cyrus12 wrote:Camp body. Guessing a few more signings like this to fill the roster a bit

I’d be willing to bet a $100 donation to this forum he will be on the roster until at least week 9.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• This reminds me of 2012 where we brought in a ton of guys and signed the ones that played well in our system to longer term deals as opposed to some who think were going 7-9
    We are doing just what we have to so we can reload and come back stronger on offense and defense
    Back then we didn't have an established QB so that makes this a whole lot different
    Just gotta get a kicker and a punter along with a good long snapper to give us that slight edge that seems to matter down the stretch
    Even with our big name guys our D was slow last year and when we were fast in our scheme we were a force
    :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information