Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • RCATES wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition

PFF has him at a 41.0 for run blocking. So he's terrible at it.

ASJ is 59.9 run block :229031_banghead:

Has ASJ signed anywhere? The rumors I had heard was that both Hawks and Jets offered around 4 mil/year and ASJ wasn't haven't any of it.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• kf3339 wrote:We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

If you enjoy watching our team win, and suffer when watching them lose, then you damn right we all "pay" for bad signings by being forced to watch an inferior product.

I don't know for sure this was "bad" without reading the contract, but when the player has been in the league 6 years and has a well established market value, and we come along and over double it....that is a very bad trend....period.
    Last edited by Seymour on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• bbsplitter wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition

Has ASJ signed anywhere? The rumors I had heard was that both Hawks and Jets offered around 4 mil/year and ASJ wasn't haven't any of it.

Jax got him
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• bbsplitter wrote:

He signed a two year 10M deal with the Jags.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Seymour wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

If you enjoy watching our team win, and suffer when watching them lose, then you damn right we all "pay" for bad signings by being forced to watch an inferior product.

I don't know for sure this was "bad" without reading the contract, but when the player has been in the league 6 years and has a well established market value, and we come along and over double it....that is a very bad trend....period.

Well we aren't for sure they did double his market value, but i am leaning towards agreeing with you it's going to end up being a little more then he is worth. Pair this with the Mingo signing which I thought was just a little bit too rich, do you wonder if the Hawks are maybe again having to overpay a bit to lure people to Seattle? It used to be everyone wanted to play here, but maybe with the image of jettisoning our stars players has free agents viewing the team as not being very competitive next year?

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

#competition

When he's not in jail for DUI, at least.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Seymour wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

Wait for the full contract details. It may look a lot better at that time. Not saying it was a great signing, but that if he can run block well and help Vannett get up to speed as our full time TE soon it's worth it to me.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• tacomahawk wrote:However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.

Love it, I'm going to steal--er, reappropriate that one for my personal use!
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

To a terrible run blocker who can't catch at all

Sounds about right

Maybe he can play Tackle? Great pass blocking TE!
    Last edited by red grenadine on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
    red grenadine
    NET Starter

• This feels like an overpay.

I am willing to see how he looks but so far, it looks like our strategy is to get rid of great players in order to replace them with average players.

I don't see how this makes us better, sure it helps the run game. But anything would because we were so terrible.

I am trying to wait and see on this but this team has such a terrible record at overpaying for FAs that end up not doing much - it is hard to overcome that. We will see.

That is a lot of TDs to replace this year. Not sure how this guy helps at all.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Re: Dickson Signed
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:43 am
  • original poster wrote:
    RockinHawks wrote:
    RCATES wrote:What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Because we've lost two and signed two so far.

It will very unlikely be the case when it's all said and done, though.

Currently, his reported 4.7 mill APY would project him squarely into the 6th round of comp picks.

Graham at 10 mil APY is currently projected a 4th round comp.

By the time free agency is over, Dickson may fall off completely, but currently, he is costing us the Graham comp, as we have no other qualifying free agent losses that haven’t already been cancelled out (Mingo cancelled out Richardson)

If we lose another compensatory free agent at 4.7 APY or more, at a contract value that places him in the same comp round as Dickson, or higher, at a APY less than 10 million, he will cancel that one out, instead of Graham.
    Last edited by bigskydoc on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• red grenadine wrote:So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

Sounds about right

No we went from a terrible blocker who only caught TDs to a guy who is rated as the best pass blocking TE in the league and who had a pretty good jump in catches when the Panthers pass catching TE went out with injury. His catching stats are low because he was not used as a receiving TE in the Panthers offense until Olsen was injured. The fact that he excels at protecting the qb is something that should be valued highly here with our franchise qb getting a high dose of contact these past few seasons.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    red grenadine wrote:So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

Sounds about right

No we went from a terrible blocker who only caught TDs to a guy who is rated as the best pass blocking TE in the league and who had a pretty good jump in catches when the Panthers pass catching TE went out with injury. His catching stats are low because he was not used as a receiving TE in the Panthers offense until Olsen was injured. The fact that he excels at protecting the qb is something that should be valued highly here with our franchise qb getting a high dose of contact these past few seasons.

As much as Jimmy was loved by the players I can't help but think this guy will bring a little more effort-wise then Jimmy brought. Even just attempting to block a guy will be an upgrade, and from all reports he is an excellent locker room presence.

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"

Exactly.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• bbsplitter wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    red grenadine wrote:
    As much as Jimmy was loved by the players I can't help but think this guy will bring a little more effort-wise then Jimmy brought. Even just attempting to block a guy will be an upgrade, and from all reports he is an excellent locker room presence.

Is he a little bit of a dirtbag though?
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
    Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Bench Warmer

• kidhawk wrote:
    red grenadine wrote:So at TE we went from a terrible run blocker who can only catch TDs

Sounds about right

I'd be ok with a TE who just excels at pass blocking if we had a traditional tall stays in the pocket QB. We don't. We have a guy who breaks out of it almost instantly. Whether its from past O-Line problems or his lack of height either way he now breaks out almost instantly. Hopefully Ed has eyes in the back of his head.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• beaumaris wrote:Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
    Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:
    beaumaris wrote:Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:

As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
    than you and I :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Bench Warmer

• original poster wrote:Here's a list of the top 10 pass blocking tight ends from last season.

1.jpg

Happy about this signing.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Jville posted the tweet with these stats, but I thought I'd put the full image in here for people to see. Although he had fewer targets and ran fewer routes (which makes sense with Greg Olsen being the main pass catching TE before his injury), Dickson has very comparable numbers to both Graham and ASJ with a lower salary and better Pass protection than either of them.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I really wish the NFL didn't have to disclose the terms of contracts in times like this. From these reactions you would think these posters were paying Dickson out of their own pocket.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Sounds about right

I'd be ok with a TE who just excels at pass blocking if we had a traditional tall stays in the pocket QB. We don't. We have a guy who breaks out of it almost instantly. Whether its from past O-Line problems or his lack of height either way he now breaks out almost instantly. Hopefully Ed has eyes in the back of his head.

I get that Russell's unconventional style makes him harder to block for than a traditional QB but that doesn't mean that you abandon trying to protect him. Think about it this way, if we are in a partial rebuild (and really aiming at being competitive in 2019) doesn't it make sense to bring in a TE who will help keep Russ alive? This partial rebuild will mean nothing if Russ gets hurt. Stick Dickson next to Ifedi and you'll have better (but probably not perfect) protection on the right side. Keep Russ alive till we can compete again!
    seanmatt
    NET Rookie

• seanmatt wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Sounds about right

I get that Russell's unconventional style makes him harder to block for than a traditional QB but that doesn't mean that you abandon trying to protect him. Think about it this way, if we are in a partial rebuild (and really aiming at being competitive in 2019) doesn't it make sense to bring in a TE who will help keep Russ alive? This partial rebuild will mean nothing if Russ gets hurt. Stick Dickson next to Ifedi and you'll have better (but probably not perfect) protection on the right side. Keep Russ alive till we can compete again!

Also don't discount dump off routes - if Russ starts scrambling around it will be helpful to have a big body pass catcher standing around. Not that graham couldn't do that. Just a less expensive way haha

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RockinHawks wrote:
    RCATES wrote:What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Don't know whether he's right or not, but that's what OTC is saying.

Comp picks are essentially based on dollar figures. If you lose a FA and his contract is the highest paid to all FAs then your team gets the highest pick awarded in the system. Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• He can block so thats good. Hes also not a bad pass catcher he played well when Olsen went out.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Sounds about right

I was gonna say...a TE in this offense needs to be able to scramble.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• seanmatt wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Sounds about right

Hopefully Fant is ready to go and plays RT. I don't want to ever see Ifedi at the tackle position again.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:
    seanmatt wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Hopefully Fant is ready to go and plays RT. I don't want to ever see Ifedi at the tackle position again.

Fant at RT and Ifedi at RG.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• The CBA ceiling is rising. 3 years 14 million is not what it used to be in the cartoon land of generational wealth.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.

If indeed he >EARNS< 14M in 3 years, then it's a gotdamned bargain!!
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• beaumaris wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    beaumaris wrote:Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.

As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    beaumaris wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that

Exactly. We saved $2M by trading Bennett. This mediocre TE just more than likely blew that twice over this year. Is he worth (2) Bennett's? Are we a better team when you add up the losses vs gains? Let that sink in a bit, then question why money sensitivity is a real BIG deal.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• We shall see. Feels like another middle class signing like Mingo. Honestly it's all about the system. I'm sure dickson can do well if our scheme is good.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.

If indeed he >EARNS< 14M in 3 years, then it's a gotdamned bargain!!

:ditto:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.

100% disagree. We absolutely cannot "take a chance" on ANY draft picks the next few years. Taking a chance is a huge part of what got us here signing red flag players, and players with good athleticism that doesn't translate to the field.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• We only know about the max value of the contract at this point, so really no point in worrying about the cash until the full details are released. The Mingo contract looks a lot better than initially reported and I’m sure Dickson will be similar. As far as the player, he is a solid vet who’s decent in all phases which fills the need ahead of the draft. With the weak TE class in FA and the draft that’s really the best we could hope for. OK, I’ll concede that ASJ does have much more upside but he’s also a much bigger risk of being suspended or just being a knucklehead.
    naholmes
    NET Rookie

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.

100% disagree. We absolutely cannot "take a chance" on ANY draft picks the next few years. Taking a chance is a huge part of what got us here signing red flag players, and players with good athleticism that doesn't translate to the field.

After the top 15 picks, every player is taking a chance..........and even those guys are not slam dunks.

Richard Sherman was taking a chance, Kam Chancellor was taking a chance, Russell Wilson was taking a chance, on and on.

Of course you take a chance if you see the upside, TE is no different...........so I have no problem once we get into the later rounds taking a chance on a raw freaky athletic TE type that could develop into something.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.

An added compensatory free agent will always cancel out a lost CFA. It is just a question of which CFA he will cancel out. Currently Graham is the only lost CFA we have so Dickson cancels him out until we lose another CFA worth less than Graham.
    Last edited by bigskydoc on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Also signing Dickson means we can take a chance in the draft on a pass catching athletic TE type to balance out the position, gives us more wiggle room and more development time if we draft a player that's raw but has potential and upside.

I don't think he meant take a chance in a "throw caution to the wind" type of way. More than likely he meant go through the typical vetting and evaluating process, it just allows them to pick a different type of player. It seems like a very negative way to perceive his comment?

Isn't drafting in it's entirety taking a chance? No one can predict the future. Even "for sure" "solid" draft picks end up being busts.

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

After the top 15 picks, every player is taking a chance..........and even those guys are not slam dunks.

Richard Sherman was taking a chance, Kam Chancellor was taking a chance, Russell Wilson was taking a chance, on and on.

Of course you take a chance if you see the upside, TE is no different...........so I have no problem once we get into the later rounds taking a chance on a raw freaky athletic TE type that could develop into something.

Come on Sarge. There are different degree's of taking a chance and you know that. We all know there are no guarantees. A knucklehead with "high upside" is still a knucklehead! :roll:

We signed McDowell that another GM noted was the worst NFL interview he has ever done! :pukeface:
    That is how Pete "takes a chance".

Last edited by Seymour on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• beaumaris wrote:Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.

You're not focusing hard enough on the ' WRETCHED NEGATIVITY' like they can do with relative ease. :stirthepot:
    Gone to the Dark Side they have.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• This tread is full of “solid gold” humor.
    I’ve actually LOL’d

Carry on, please.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    Comp picks are essentially based on dollar figures. If you lose a FA and his contract is the highest paid to all FAs then your team gets the highest pick awarded in the system. Dickson for Graham does not cancel each other out.

Except that it is also as simple as +1 and -1

If you only have a high comp pick and sign someone low and that is it the net result is still zero picks
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Come on Sarge. There are different degree's of taking a chance and you know that. We all know there are no guarantees. A knucklehead with "high upside" is still a knucklehead! :roll:

We signed McDowell that another GM noted was the worst NFL interview he has ever done! :pukeface:

I'm not talking about knuckleheads, I'm talking about raw, athletic types of TE's, of which there are MANY in college that we can develop into a dynamic pass catcher.

Just like taking chances on the players I mentioned above..........because in the draft, there are no sure things, especially in later rounds.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Run blocking sample. :34853_doh:
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

I'm not talking about knuckleheads, I'm talking about raw, athletic types of TE's, of which there are MANY in college that we can develop into a dynamic pass catcher.

Just like taking chances on the players I mentioned above..........because in the draft, there are no sure things, especially in later rounds.

Fine. You have a 7th to work with. Go get 'em . :2thumbs: :snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information