Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • He looks like a reach and a use of dollars that can be better spent elsewhere.

A signing that we have no reason to expect much of, based on his production so far.

Dickson will probably be OK as a player but these kind of signings are pretty clear evidence that we aren't going to fix much in the FA signings our FO makes. Because guys like Dickson are not going to move the needle at all.

We will see how he looks once the actual games start but this is pretty underwhelming for a team that is left with gaping holes all over the place. To some extent he fills some of the hole, but with an average nobody-cares type of player that isn't going to come close to making up for what we lost in scoring.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

Probably gonna be sleeping for a while then. This doesn't seem like the off-season where we will make any significant splashes.

True... In that case wake me draft weekend please. Thank you. :sleep:

Why would you want to be awake for that armchair GM bitchfest?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Nice job adjusting to the ball.

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Last season, Football Outsiders ranked Dickson as the 11th best TE (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, minimum 25 passes):

Tight ends are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this TE caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level TE in the same game situations and then translated into yardage.

1. R.Gronkowski NE 340
    2. T.Kelce KC 198
    3. H.Henry LACH 165
    4. C.Brate TB 155
    5. Z.Ertz PHI 155
    6. C.Fleener NO 107
    7. O.J.Howard TB 101
    8. K.Rudolph MIN 90
    9. G.Celek SF 89
    10. T.Burton PHI 85
    11. E.Dickson CAR 84
    27. J.Graham SEA 9
    ---
    51. A.Seferian-Jenkins NYJ -83

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

Interesting.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:Jville posted the tweet with these stats, but I thought I'd put the full image in here for people to see. Although he had fewer targets and ran fewer routes (which makes sense with Greg Olsen being the main pass catching TE before his injury), Dickson has very comparable numbers to both Graham and ASJ with a lower salary and better Pass protection than either of them.

Also, I wouldn't make much of the drop rate. Dickson had two drops for the year. If he catches one of those, his drop rate is the best on this list. Small sample size and also "drops" are subjective.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:Here's a list of the top 10 pass blocking tight ends from last season.

1.jpg

I was hoping they'd sign Virgil Greene but this may work
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Lot has been said about this. Looked up some of his combine info. That doesn't prove that he cannot block now but some of the other posts have stated this. The fact that he is good in pass protection in no way offsets his poor run blocking. Not really sure why so many here were so quick to say he was a good run blocker.

My hope is he is our TE2 and the FO has a plan for a blocking TE. Otherwise the run first mantra makes absolutely no sense. You have to have at the very least a mediocre run blocking TE to have a successful running game. Little down about this pickup unless he is a TE2 but even at that, does that properly endorse his contract?

I'll hold my tongue for now as I would like to see the end result of the off season.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Would have preferred the upside of Ebron. If the argument is we wanted a better blocking TE I don't think this is the guy and we still haven't addressed the RB position or Oline....
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I love it. I've always like watching Dickson play.

One needs no other proof in knowing that Pro Football Focus is absolute tripe than this:

While Dickson has shown he can produce as a receiver his main niche has been as a blocker — Pro Football Focus rated him as the top pass-blocking tight end in the NFL last season, though he was 56th in run blocking (by comparison, Graham was rated 14th in pass blocking, 34th in run blocking).

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-seahawks-sign-tight-end-ed-dickson/

Watch the two dudes play, and tell me how anyone with any sense whatsoever could come to that conclusion. It's unreal.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:Dickson is a nice add, but kinda curious why they went with the 30 year old instead of the 25 year old with upside?
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/1 ... t_end.html

Seahawks went with the more mature player further along in his development to urgently reset their offense. To my knowledge, there is nothing blocking Austin Seferian-Jenkins from developing and eventually appearing in a Seahawk uniform at some point down the road.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

You hope that you are wrong that the signing makes no sense to you?
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• CodeWarrior wrote:Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Team needs a TE... probably two. They just signed one.

What doesnt make sense... the player they chose to sign?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    CodeWarrior wrote:Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Probably because it wasn't ASJ.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Adding a good blocking TE is exactly what this team needed.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    CodeWarrior wrote:Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

The player nor the terms.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

The player nor the terms.

terms dont seem bad... glorified 1 year deal maybe a mill over.

whats wrong with the player?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I think the improvement in pass blocking will be beneficial.

I'm no expert, but it seemed like Jimmy Graham would miss or just make some half-assed contact on opposing pass rushers and then try to get open. That made it too easy for defenses to keep track of him and make sure he didn't slip free. So it never really worked. If we have a TE that can actually engage and hold off pass rushers for a few seconds, then he should have an easier time slipping free and getting open for a pass if Russ's initial options are covered.

And even if he doesn't make big plays as a receiver, this team needs better pass blocking. I like the idea of having a veteran TE who can recognize what the defense is doing and help out since the TE is basically an extra blocker. Better pass blocking = more time for Russ to use his legs and make good things happen. The past couple years, seems like opposing DEs are constantly collapsing the pocket in a hurry, leaving no time and no room for Russ to do anything.

But what I don't understand is why he isn't rated higher as a run blocker. Was it the scheme he was in? Was he not called upon to help the run game very often? Is he decent at certain types of run blocks and not others? He certainly was part of some good running offenses in Carolina, but that's all I know. We definitely do need to be able to run the ball first and foremost.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

I for one am wondering what the heck they are doing. They are canceling out their Comp picks with these garbage signings as well. So its more like Dickson plus a 4th rounder plus his contract. Yuck.
    They better pray that some of their unsigned players start signing contracts soon with other teams.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Graham was horrible last year. Sure he caught touchdown passes. But he caught nothing else. He was disinterested all year, never gave any effort between the 20s, and it was time to move on. He will do good in Green Bay because they have a pass heavy offense. But he was never a fit for Seattle.

Dickson will be a good blocking Tight End, and beneficial for our young guys.

Why people keep resorting to hyperbole on contracts. 14 million! OMG!

There's only one number that matters in a contract, every play knows that when they sign, it's the guaranteed number. Everything else, meaningless.

You see inflated numbers all the time. Kaepernik! 16 million per year!! (zero guaranteed).

Player X, highest paid player in the NFL! (unless you look at the guarantees). Makes for a great headline though. Lotta clicks.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• edogg23 wrote:

I for one am wondering what the heck they are doing. They are canceling out their Comp picks with these garbage signings as well. So its more like Dickson plus a 4th rounder plus his contract. Yuck.
    They better pray that some of their unsigned players start signing contracts soon with other teams.

Comp picks are nice but you need actual players, 7th and 6th round picks rarely make the team, 3rd round picks are saying you let a good player go or whiffed on a pick.

Since we trade back a lot we will have few high round comp picks anyway.

I would rather have players here that can play then boost my Madden score.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I think he'll pan out. Glad we passed on ASJ

"Seferian-Jenkins rebuilt his career with the Jets last season, although the results weren't necessarily glamorous.

The former Bucs draftee was essentially a catch-and-fall-down tight end, as he averaged just 7.1 yards per reception, the fewest among qualifying tight ends by more than a yard and a half.

There have been 419 tight end seasons with 50 targets or more since 2001, and in terms of yards per catch, Seferian-Jenkins' campaign ranks ... 418th.

Only Donald Lee's 2009 season is worse."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2268 ... l-barnwell
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    But what I don't understand is why he isn't rated higher as a run blocker. Was it the scheme he was in? Was he not called upon to help the run game very often? Is he decent at certain types of run blocks and not others? He certainly was part of some good running offenses in Carolina, but that's all I know. We definitely do need to be able to run the ball first and foremost.

Quite the opposite actually. He was a TE after all... He only pass blocked about 6 snaps per game. He run blocked a shitload more, as that is generally a TEs main job. In the passing game, most TEs chip a rusher and try to get open or swing outside for a dump off.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... hts-Week-5

I like in this highlight that Dickson not only catches the ball on the run extemely well but he has balance and fights for yards after contact. Too many times Graham was awkward and fell over as soon as he caught the ball. Graham was north of 10 million a year and I didnt see the value. This guy will be even better with A great QB.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I make those cap hits as follows -

2018 - $1,866,667
    2019 - $5,433,332
    2019 - $5,433,332

They may be slightly out depending on the exact incentives and if they're LTBE or NLTBE, but not by much.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Let me tell you I would rather have had Mercedes Lewis

Known blocker and known for catching the ball as well...... consistently
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Let me tell you I would rather have had Mercedes Lewis

Known blocker and known for catching the ball as well...... consistently

Well Lewis was released just today so..........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'm a little confused why fans are looking at this signing negatively? Less than 5 mill per year, an actual TRADITIONAL TE. Something our offense has been missing since the departure of Zach Miller. . . If Ed does pan out as our starter, this signing has great value... In my opinion ! 8)

Also, look for us to draft a late round, athletic (Raw with high upside) TE for Dickson to mentor during their 1st year.
    RussWILSON3
    NET Rookie

• It's dot net, complaining about every single signing is the norm :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Dickson is no Miller and some of us really preferred to get someone who could run block above average. Maybe there just isn't any. Not everything is good or bad or black and white. I don't hate the signing but I still don't think we have improved at all in regards to the run game.

Hopefully he can block better than Graham.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Saw this as well. Funny how some were freaking out about the contract without knowing the actual details. Seems like a very fair contract to me for both sides.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• kf3339 wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Saw this as well. Funny how some were freaking out about the contract without knowing the actual details. Seems like a very fair contract to me for both sides.

Less than a $1.9 million cap hit this year with only $3.6 million guaranteed.

Certainly an upgrade over Luke Willson as a pass blocker, route runner, and pass catcher.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Yep, his blocking ability alone will be an upgrade. I liked Luke a lot, but just because we like the guy, doesn't mean that he's not replaceable.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Noice
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Jville posted the tweet with these stats, but I thought I'd put the full image in here for people to see. Although he had fewer targets and ran fewer routes (which makes sense with Greg Olsen being the main pass catching TE before his injury), Dickson has very comparable numbers to both Graham and ASJ with a lower salary and better Pass protection than either of them.

Also, I wouldn't make much of the drop rate. Dickson had two drops for the year. If he catches one of those, his drop rate is the best on this list. Small sample size and also "drops" are subjective.

Dickson seems like a nice blue collar, serviceable TE that gets the job done.

No big fancy plays, opposing defense wouldn't double team him, but hey, he gets the job done for us. I don't have high hopes and big expectations that our new OC can transform Dickson into an all pro TE, but Dickson is a willing blocker, can't say that about Graham, and seems to be quite sure handed. I am good with that.
    toffee
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information