Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • chawx wrote:

Run blocking sample. :34853_doh:

He made the effort! Form wasn't bad besides telegraphing the cut block. That looks like 4 more yards gained then we would have on such a play last year!
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• Greenhell wrote:
    original poster wrote:Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"

Exactly.

He had a 175 yard receiving game this past season. Pretty sure graham never did that as a seahawk.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Last season, Dickson was the best pass blocking TE (per PFF) but his run blocking was subpar. That's something he will need to improve.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Of the options that was out there, he was one who could pass block and has some upside as a catching option that was never fully tapped. It's not a thrilling signing but a solid one.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• One thing to keeping n mind, he was a duck, so he’s got that going for himself.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seymour wrote:
    Fine. You have a 7th to work with. Go get 'em . :2thumbs: :snack:

Luckily we have 38 7th round picks to work with. Give us your tired, you're huddled unwashed masses..............your 7th rounders.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• This is a ridiculous signing, hope I am wrong.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

I'd look at it another way - the FO is stepping on their dick in developing players by previously having unimpeachable starters take snaps over prospective new talent. It's hard to call Vannett a bust when he would be taking snaps from JFG who on paper is obviously better and Luke Willson, someone with a long tenure and relationship with the coaching staff.

I know people will disagree with this assesment but it feels like the coaching staff at times had favorites and were reluctant to go away from that. An obvious out here is that Vannett simply wasn't outplaying Willson in practice to warrant play time but...there are a few examples of players getting into the doghouse for no apparent reason with Cable based on factors that Cable considered important. I don't think it's a bridge too far to suggest this kinda of crap wasn't just limited to players under Cable's purview.

This will be the year for Vannett to step up and show his mettle. To me, it's hard to write him off given the situation with the Hawks his first two.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

I'd look at it another way - the FO is stepping on their dick in developing players by previously having unimpeachable starters take snaps over prospective new talent. It's hard to call Vannett a bust when he would be taking snaps from JFG who on paper is obviously better and Luke Willson, someone with a long tenure and relationship with the coaching staff.

I know people will disagree with this assesment but it feels like the coaching staff at times had favorites and were reluctant to go away from that. An obvious out here is that Vannett simply wasn't outplaying Willson in practice to warrant play time but...there are a few examples of players getting into the doghouse for no apparent reason with Cable based on factors that Cable considered important. I don't think it's a bridge too far to suggest this kinda of crap wasn't just limited to players under Cable's purview.

This will be the year for Vannett to step up and show his mettle. To me, it's hard to write him off given the situation with the Hawks his first two.

I'd say that's a fair assessment :2thumbs:

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• Forming an opinion about whether a signing is a good value or not is obviously fair game for fans. It's a major determinant in how talented the roster will be in 2018 and beyond.

Forming an opinion before any details are released about the important components (base salary, incentives, guarantees) is comedic. The opinion bandwagons will have plenty of room later on and there's no reason to rush to get there first without having the necessary information.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• AgentDib wrote:Forming an opinion about whether a signing is a good value or not is obviously fair game for fans. It's a major determinant in how talented the roster will be in 2018 and beyond.

Forming an opinion before any details are released about the important components (base salary, incentives, guarantees) is comedic. The opinion bandwagons will have plenty of room later on and there's no reason to rush to get there first without having the necessary information.

Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that, but your right I don't think anyone should jump to any extreme conclusions before we see the actual structure.

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• Those that say we missed out on ASJ, don't like the Ed Dickson signing and are saying Vannett is a bust after one year apparently haven't looked at ASJ's production his first 3 years. Otherwise, ASJ would have been written off a couple years ago and you would also realize ED's signing is great value. WTF were you expecting! Gronk on a vet minimum? Maybe Kelsey too?
    Seahawks-Blazers-Mariners-Ducks
    cheese22
    NET Rookie

• bbsplitter wrote:Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that

There's just a really big range regarding the "actual" contract hidden in that phrase. Plausibly anywhere between 1 yr $2m and 2 yr $9m. Also, incentives which are NLTBE do not play into the comp pick formula and so it's premature to worry over much about the comp picks unless you think nobody is going to sign our remaining CFAs for some reason.
    Last edited by AgentDib on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Checked the Panthers subreddit and sbnation site and they seemed pretty surprised we paid this much for Dickson.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:
    bbsplitter wrote:Well we know the general outline 3yrs/14mil, so I would say it's fair to speculate based on that

There's just a really big range regarding the "actual" contract hidden in that phrase. Plausibly anywhere between 1 yr $2m and 2 yr $9m. Also, incentives which are NLTBE do not play into the comp pick formula and so it's premature to worry over much about the comp picks unless you think nobody is going to sign our remaining CFAs for some reason.

You're right, I just meant it fair to generally speculate on the numbers involved with 3yrs/14mil will end up being, just like you did. Some are speculating it will be more, some are speculating it will be less. None of it is wrong per say, we will find out solid numbers later we just shouldn't form any extreme opinions one way or another until we see them.

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Checked the Panthers subreddit and sbnation site and they seemed pretty surprised we paid this much for Dickson.

Good find, I'm hoping it's just inflated numbers for his agents ego, and the first year is closer to 2-3 mil with team options after that. Either way as long as its only a 1-2 year type deal and isn't a Kam guarantees type situation, I think we will be fine even if he doesn't work out.

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

Probably gonna be sleeping for a while then. This doesn't seem like the off-season where we will make any significant splashes.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Aros wrote:Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

Goodnight Rip Van Aros.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

Probably gonna be sleeping for a while then. This doesn't seem like the off-season where we will make any significant splashes.

Probably right, all the excitement is probably going to come from the draft or if we trade ET

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• If it's all about run blocking why not trot another tackle out there instead?
    Last edited by original poster on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: No f bombs in the main forum
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Checked the Panthers subreddit and sbnation site and they seemed pretty surprised we paid this much for Dickson.

Ed Dickson is a below average football player and I too am surprised he's still in the league. It speaks to his intangibles (good guy, teammate, experience, etc.) that he still is.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:WTF? If it's all about run blocking why not trot another tackle out there instead?

Dickson is not a strong run blocker. On the plus side, he's a decent pass blocker and route runner. He's also proven to be durable.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Pretty hard to judge it till you know what the specifics are.
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

True... In that case wake me draft weekend please. Thank you. :sleep:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• $4M here and $5M there is going to make it a lot harder to sign a $10M impact player.

Not sure if that is a blessing or a curse considering the track record with this FO but it might affect us later.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Kinger95 wrote:Pretty hard to judge it till you know what the specifics are.

Yea, your right. Doesn't invite much credibility for unsupported opinions.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I’m on the fence. As long as it doesnt hinder the cap too bad or the final FA COMP situation I’m agnostic about it.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• He's a decent Y-TE, something we haven't had in a while. Hopefully he gives more effort as a run blocker. As a pass catcher, should provide a nice safety valve for Russell.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:$4M here and $5M there is going to make it a lot harder to sign a $10M impact player.

Not sure if that is a blessing or a curse considering the track record with this FO but it might affect us later.

Or a $2.7M kicker that would have put you in the playoffs and saved blowing up the entire team.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• sheldon gone 1 year deal 11m
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• Aros wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Even that will be boring unless with trade Earl. We don't even draft on day two :(
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Dickson is the type of TE that Pete Carroll has had a lot of success with throughout his coaching career.

In the early days with the Seahawks, it was Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy. At SC, it was McCoy, Fred Davis, Dominique Byrd, Alex Holmes, etc. With the Patriots, he had Ben Coates.

Carroll also recruited Dickson. When he has that additional insight to evaluate a player, he's had some good success in the past.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Once again ....... we've drifted way of topic.

Another thread bites the dust. LOL
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• RCATES wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

Even that will be boring unless with trade Earl. We don't even draft on day two :(

We will be drafting day 2 after they trade the first round pick.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• This thread is about the new TE

There are threads about the state of the team, both past and present.

This isn't Reddit. Stay on topic or take a breather.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• At Oregon his knickname was “Always open”. He’s a better receiver then he’s getting credit for.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Watching his highlights, Dickson makes a lot of catches in traffic over the middle, tough diving catches, and basket catches over his shoulder. However, he's not much of a jump ball artist, which is probably fine since Russell Wilson doesn't throw many jump balls. He tends to screen off defenders as a run blocker, rather than knock them off the line of scrimmage. He does a nice job mirroring in pass protection.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    beaumaris wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    beaumaris wrote:Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
    Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:

As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
    than you and I :2thumbs:

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that

Yea! We know all about caps,nothing you or I can do about it,so let the money guys look after it.
    I really like my attitude. :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Bench Warmer

• original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!

I dunno why so many got their panties in a bunch..
    I'm with OP on this one..
    We had a star TE who couldn't block,took plays off..
    This new TE can block and does more ..
    He isn't a star so that means he sucks? :177692:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

Great pick up!

I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

If it doesn't then he can't run block, can't pass block and can't catch the ball.......

hopefully he magically does great in all areas though
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

Great pick up!

According to PFF (grain of salt, I know), Dickson had the highest pass blocking grade among TEs (73.9) but he also had one of the worst run blocking grades in the league (41.0). That pretty much jives with his film. He doesn't seem to put much effort into run blocking. Even Jimmy Graham had a better run blocking grade than Dickson.

I'm still pretty happy with this signing. Have a feeling he's going to be put up some good receiving numbers, especially on play action when the defense is expecting him to block. I foresee a strong Wilson-to-Dickson connection.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Meh. Depends on how much is guaranteed but seems like a bit much. Yes, he did have a 175-yard game last year, but that was about 35% of his yearly total. And those 175 yards exceeds his entire season total from 2016, 2015, and 2014, so expectations need to be tempered. I think he'll have around 200 yards this year and 1 or 2 TD's given his track record. Is that worth 3/14? Probably not.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

• mikeak wrote:I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

Dickson's #1 pass blocking grade was with Cam Newton at QB. Dickson does a nice job sustaining pass blocks while the QB scrambles.

Wilson is way more accurate than Newton, which should help Dickson.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

Dickson's #1 pass blocking grade was with Cam Newton at QB. Dickson does a nice job sustaining pass blocks while the QB scrambles.

Cam scrambles around much less than RW

Cam runs more than RW

Big difference for the O-line
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

Cam scrambles around much less than RW

Cam runs more than RW

Big difference for the O-line

True, Newton doesn't throw as well on the run.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Let's be honest, most if not all of our moves this off-season will be seen as underwhelming. The FO has decided that it needs a reboot and signing guys that may not have the sex appeal of others is gonna be the norm this time around.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• hawknation2018 wrote:True, Newton doesn't throw as well on the run.

agreed -- not sure anybody in the NFL does. Rodgers moving around maybe
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information