Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Are the Seahawks protecting potential comp picks?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Was thinking about ASJ going to the Jags and the only reason I can think we didn't at least at match that reasonable deal must be that we don't want to put any comp picks in jeopardy. Are we asking players that we are interested in to wait until after the deadline?

    It was a bit under the radar but Caleb Sturgis came in for a visit and I personally would have not let him leave the building without a deal as I think last year showed how important a kicker is but again he was allowed to visit elsewhere.

    In short are the Seahawks being sensible or are they hampering themselves with the tactic? Certainly I think the lack of comp picks this year resonated with the FO. Thoughts?
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2751
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Was thinking about ASJ going to the Jags and the only reason I can think we didn't at least at match that reasonable deal must be that we don't want to put any comp picks in jeopardy. Are we asking players that we are interested in to wait until after the deadline?

    It was a bit under the radar but Caleb Sturgis came in for a visit and I personally would have not let him leave the building without a deal as I think last year showed how important a kicker is but again he was allowed to visit elsewhere.

    In short are the Seahawks being sensible or are they hampering themselves with the tactic? Certainly I think the lack of comp picks this year resonated with the FO. Thoughts?

    I think they are being sensible. Rack up the COMP picks for 2019, punt the 2018 season (of course they’ll never admit that if that’s their mentality). Then use 2018 to break in the new coords and young players and hit the ground running in 2019 with a butload of draft picks.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24094
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • I am sure they are. But we have some cheaper guys leaving as FA that will allow us to sign players in FA without jeopardizing the good comp picks. But yes I am sure they are playing that game and it is partly why Graham and PRich was allowed to walk. Heck I am sure it figured into the original trade for Sheldon
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7433
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • If we sign Dickson it will be interesting to see the numbers and how, say, Luke Willson leaving will protect the higher comp picks.
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2751
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


  • I don’t like it. If they had been better at drafting in the last 5 years, I’d be all for the comp picks. But considering their spotty draft record lately, I’d rather have the free agents.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1427
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
    Location: Ft. Meade, MD


  • Erebus wrote:I don’t like it. If they had been better at drafting in the last 5 years, I’d be all for the comp picks. But considering their spotty draft record lately, I’d rather have the free agents.


    Who do you think we have missed out on? FWIW I would have liked ASJ, no-one else has left me disappointed.
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2751
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


  • It;s pretty easy to see that they are doing that.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 12762
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Erebus wrote:I don’t like it. If they had been better at drafting in the last 5 years, I’d be all for the comp picks. But considering their spotty draft record lately, I’d rather have the free agents.


    Who do you think we have missed out on? FWIW I would have liked ASJ, no-one else has left me disappointed.


    That’s risky if you don’t think he can stay sober. Plus bringing someone home who has addiction problems isn’t always a great idea. He obviously changed his lifestyle and surrounded himself with better people his last year and a bit but once everything changes again who’s to say he’s going to re-establish that structure/not fall back into bad habits
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am


  • The ONLY reason they didnt sign asj???? Lol husky homers.... borderline blocker, whos had one "good" nfl yr and that only earned 300 yards and change and 4 or 5 tds....checkered past, booted off teams but yes comp picks the onlt reason again lol
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1661
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • They only have one comp pick right now and it's a 4th rounder. No way in hell are they avoiding signing guys to "protect" that.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 269
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • QuickLightning wrote:They only have one comp pick right now and it's a 4th rounder. No way in hell are they avoiding signing guys to "protect" that.



    Uhm no they will have al teast 3

    Graham - 3rd/4th
    Sheldon Richardson - 3rd/4th
    P Rich - 4th
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 95
    Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm


  • Umm no. Right now they have one

    Jimmy Graham projected for a fourth round comp.

    Paul Richardson cancelled out by Jeron Brown
    Sheldon Richardson cancelled out by Barkevious Mingo
    Matt Tobin cancelled out by Ed Dickson.

    This can obviously change if additional free agents are signed
    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2394
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT



  • bigskydoc wrote:Umm no. Right now they have one

    Jimmy Graham projected for a fourth round comp.

    Paul Richardson cancelled out by Jeron Brown
    Sheldon Richardson cancelled out by Barkevious Mingo
    Matt Tobin cancelled out by Ed Dickson.

    This can obviously change if additional free agents are signed



    Yes right now thy only have one but they will avoid signing guys for the purpose of making one into three comp picks.

    They have other FA guys that will go to other teams is probably the hope. The risk is borderline guys that people wait to sign until June 1st when hey are not in the comp pick calculation

    In short - they will not sign guys to get three 4th round picks
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7433
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • 12forlife wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:They only have one comp pick right now and it's a 4th rounder. No way in hell are they avoiding signing guys to "protect" that.



    Uhm no they will have al teast 3

    Graham - 3rd/4th
    Sheldon Richardson - 3rd/4th
    P Rich - 4th


    Uhm... No. Lol. They have one, projected currently at a 4th rounder.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 269
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • With the QB deals pretty much taking all the potential 3rd round comp picks it's not the year to worry about protecting 4th round or later comp picks.

    I think they are unsure of what their game plan is right now. That is unless their game plan is to completely rebuild on defense and hope the offense can carry the load as the defense learns. That is however not a winning strategy for this next year at all.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2687
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • kf3339 wrote:With the QB deals pretty much taking all the potential 3rd round comp picks it's not the year to worry about protecting 4th round or later comp picks.

    I think they are unsure of what their game plan is right now. That is unless their game plan is to completely rebuild on defense and hope the offense can carry the load as the defense learns. That is however not a winning strategy for this next year at all.


    You really think this is a plan, a new OC and O line Coach no running game losing two of your top receivers and this offense is going to carry the defense that could not run or pass block last year?

    The only thing the offense will do if this is the case is help carry the defense off the field.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25421
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:With the QB deals pretty much taking all the potential 3rd round comp picks it's not the year to worry about protecting 4th round or later comp picks.

    I think they are unsure of what their game plan is right now. That is unless their game plan is to completely rebuild on defense and hope the offense can carry the load as the defense learns. That is however not a winning strategy for this next year at all.


    You really think this is a plan, a new OC and O line Coach no running game losing two of your top receivers and this offense is going to carry the defense that could not run or pass block last year?

    The only thing the offense will do if this is the case is help carry the defense off the field.



    Well the defense sure as Hell isn't going to do it from what I see right now. So I do hope the offense can carry more of the load this next year, or we are probably toast. Hard to say right now.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2687
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • But if I read this right, we get more picks if these guys sign some where else, correct? The two other 4th rounders if 2 sign elsewhere?


    Luke Joeckel
    Jeremy Lane
    Eddie Lacy
    Luke Willson
    Michael Wilhoite
    Blair Walsh
    Marcus Smith
    Oday Aboushi
    Byron Maxwell
    Terence Garvin
    Austin Davis
    Dewey McDonald
    Mike Davis
    Christian French
    Garrison Smith
    Thomas Rawls
    User avatar
    Hawkfish
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1133
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 pm
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • Hawkfish wrote:But if I read this right, we get more picks if these guys sign some where else, correct? The two other 4th rounders if 2 sign elsewhere?


    Luke Joeckel
    Jeremy Lane
    Eddie Lacy
    Luke Willson
    Michael Wilhoite
    Blair Walsh
    Marcus Smith
    Oday Aboushi
    Byron Maxwell
    Terence Garvin
    Austin Davis
    Dewey McDonald
    Mike Davis
    Christian French
    Garrison Smith
    Thomas Rawls


    Sort of. They must sign with a new team before the first Tuesday after the draft. They must be signed to a contract that would qualify (no minimum bullshit... which most of those guys might get offered. It's estimated they must have a contract in the top 50 percentile of NFL contracts to qualify) They also have to make it on their new team until week 10. Finally the Seahawks also have to not sign anyone else, which is unlikely given that they still don't have a full roster, much less anywhere close to a 90 man.

    Also they don't disqualify the lowest comp pick. You'd need one of these guys to sign a $10 million contract to get another 4th rounder, which is unlikely as hell. PC/JS are the one guys paying Jockel that kinda money.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 269
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • QuickLightning wrote:
    Hawkfish wrote:But if I read this right, we get more picks if these guys sign some where else, correct? The two other 4th rounders if 2 sign elsewhere?


    Luke Joeckel
    Jeremy Lane
    Eddie Lacy
    Luke Willson
    Michael Wilhoite
    Blair Walsh
    Marcus Smith
    Oday Aboushi
    Byron Maxwell
    Terence Garvin
    Austin Davis
    Dewey McDonald
    Mike Davis
    Christian French
    Garrison Smith
    Thomas Rawls


    Sort of. They must sign with a new team before the first Tuesday after the draft. They must be signed to a contract that would qualify (no minimum bullshit... which most of those guys might get offered. It's estimated they must have a contract in the top 50 percentile of NFL contracts to qualify) They also have to make it on their new team until week 10. Finally the Seahawks also have to not sign anyone else, which is unlikely given that they still don't have a full roster, much less anywhere close to a 90 man.

    Also they don't disqualify the lowest comp pick. You'd need one of these guys to sign a $10 million contract to get another 4th rounder, which is unlikely as hell. PC/JS are the one guys paying Jockel that kinda money.


    There is not a guy on that list who is getting anything close to a contract that will get us a comp pick of any meaning. More than likely we are finished with any more picks for 2019.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2687
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • They don’t have to get into a high enough round to have meaning, they just have to qualify as CFA to cancel out some of the players we have gained and get us our 4th rounder(s) back.

    Still, I’m not sure any of those players will get big enough contracts to make it even into the lowest rounds.
    Fire Tom Cable

    Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    User avatar
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2394
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


  • and the biggest caveat for someone like Tobin signed by Patriots - they need to stay on the roster through week 10.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7433
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK




It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information