Are the Seahawks protecting potential comp picks?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Was thinking about ASJ going to the Jags and the only reason I can think we didn't at least at match that reasonable deal must be that we don't want to put any comp picks in jeopardy. Are we asking players that we are interested in to wait until after the deadline?

It was a bit under the radar but Caleb Sturgis came in for a visit and I personally would have not let him leave the building without a deal as I think last year showed how important a kicker is but again he was allowed to visit elsewhere.

In short are the Seahawks being sensible or are they hampering themselves with the tactic? Certainly I think the lack of comp picks this year resonated with the FO. Thoughts?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2ms9m83o said:
Was thinking about ASJ going to the Jags and the only reason I can think we didn't at least at match that reasonable deal must be that we don't want to put any comp picks in jeopardy. Are we asking players that we are interested in to wait until after the deadline?

It was a bit under the radar but Caleb Sturgis came in for a visit and I personally would have not let him leave the building without a deal as I think last year showed how important a kicker is but again he was allowed to visit elsewhere.

In short are the Seahawks being sensible or are they hampering themselves with the tactic? Certainly I think the lack of comp picks this year resonated with the FO. Thoughts?
I think they are being sensible. Rack up the COMP picks for 2019, punt the 2018 season (of course they’ll never admit that if that’s their mentality). Then use 2018 to break in the new coords and young players and hit the ground running in 2019 with a butload of draft picks.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am sure they are. But we have some cheaper guys leaving as FA that will allow us to sign players in FA without jeopardizing the good comp picks. But yes I am sure they are playing that game and it is partly why Graham and PRich was allowed to walk. Heck I am sure it figured into the original trade for Sheldon

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If we sign Dickson it will be interesting to see the numbers and how, say, Luke Willson leaving will protect the higher comp picks.

Erebus

Reaction score
I don’t like it. If they had been better at drafting in the last 5 years, I’d be all for the comp picks. But considering their spotty draft record lately, I’d rather have the free agents.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Erebus":33foi6p5 said:
I don’t like it. If they had been better at drafting in the last 5 years, I’d be all for the comp picks. But considering their spotty draft record lately, I’d rather have the free agents.

Who do you think we have missed out on? FWIW I would have liked ASJ, no-one else has left me disappointed.

Kinger95

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":jfxrhx6g said:
Erebus":jfxrhx6g said:

Who do you think we have missed out on? FWIW I would have liked ASJ, no-one else has left me disappointed.

That’s risky if you don’t think he can stay sober. Plus bringing someone home who has addiction problems isn’t always a great idea. He obviously changed his lifestyle and surrounded himself with better people his last year and a bit but once everything changes again who’s to say he’s going to re-establish that structure/not fall back into bad habits

gowazzu02

Reaction score
The ONLY reason they didnt sign asj???? Lol husky homers.... borderline blocker, whos had one "good" nfl yr and that only earned 300 yards and change and 4 or 5 tds....checkered past, booted off teams but yes comp picks the onlt reason again lol

Reaction score
They only have one comp pick right now and it's a 4th rounder. No way in hell are they avoiding signing guys to "protect" that.

12forlife

Reaction score
QuickLightning":e5u55beo said:
They only have one comp pick right now and it's a 4th rounder. No way in hell are they avoiding signing guys to "protect" that.

Uhm no they will have al teast 3

Graham - 3rd/4th
Sheldon Richardson - 3rd/4th
P Rich - 4th

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Umm no. Right now they have one

Jimmy Graham projected for a fourth round comp.

Paul Richardson cancelled out by Jeron Brown
Sheldon Richardson cancelled out by Barkevious Mingo
Matt Tobin cancelled out by Ed Dickson.

This can obviously change if additional free agents are signed

mikeak

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3vy32b6n said:
Umm no. Right now they have one

Jimmy Graham projected for a fourth round comp.

Paul Richardson cancelled out by Jeron Brown
Sheldon Richardson cancelled out by Barkevious Mingo
Matt Tobin cancelled out by Ed Dickson.

This can obviously change if additional free agents are signed

Yes right now thy only have one but they will avoid signing guys for the purpose of making one into three comp picks.

They have other FA guys that will go to other teams is probably the hope. The risk is borderline guys that people wait to sign until June 1st when hey are not in the comp pick calculation

In short - they will not sign guys to get three 4th round picks

Reaction score
12forlife":3qkmed62 said:
QuickLightning":3qkmed62 said:

Uhm no they will have al teast 3

Graham - 3rd/4th
Sheldon Richardson - 3rd/4th
P Rich - 4th

Uhm... No. Lol. They have one, projected currently at a 4th rounder.

kf3339

Reaction score
With the QB deals pretty much taking all the potential 3rd round comp picks it's not the year to worry about protecting 4th round or later comp picks.

I think they are unsure of what their game plan is right now. That is unless their game plan is to completely rebuild on defense and hope the offense can carry the load as the defense learns. That is however not a winning strategy for this next year at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":51942e1q said:
With the QB deals pretty much taking all the potential 3rd round comp picks it's not the year to worry about protecting 4th round or later comp picks.

I think they are unsure of what their game plan is right now. That is unless their game plan is to completely rebuild on defense and hope the offense can carry the load as the defense learns. That is however not a winning strategy for this next year at all.

You really think this is a plan, a new OC and O line Coach no running game losing two of your top receivers and this offense is going to carry the defense that could not run or pass block last year?

The only thing the offense will do if this is the case is help carry the defense off the field.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":amw4igi3 said:
kf3339":amw4igi3 said:

You really think this is a plan, a new OC and O line Coach no running game losing two of your top receivers and this offense is going to carry the defense that could not run or pass block last year?

The only thing the offense will do if this is the case is help carry the defense off the field.

Well the defense sure as Hell isn't going to do it from what I see right now. So I do hope the offense can carry more of the load this next year, or we are probably toast. Hard to say right now.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
But if I read this right, we get more picks if these guys sign some where else, correct? The two other 4th rounders if 2 sign elsewhere?

Luke Joeckel
Jeremy Lane
Eddie Lacy
Luke Willson
Michael Wilhoite
Blair Walsh
Marcus Smith
Oday Aboushi
Byron Maxwell
Terence Garvin
Austin Davis
Dewey McDonald
Mike Davis
Christian French
Garrison Smith
Thomas Rawls

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3iy6tiy3 said:
But if I read this right, we get more picks if these guys sign some where else, correct? The two other 4th rounders if 2 sign elsewhere?

Luke Joeckel
Jeremy Lane
Eddie Lacy
Luke Willson
Michael Wilhoite
Blair Walsh
Marcus Smith
Oday Aboushi
Byron Maxwell
Terence Garvin
Austin Davis
Dewey McDonald
Mike Davis
Christian French
Garrison Smith
Thomas Rawls

Sort of. They must sign with a new team before the first Tuesday after the draft. They must be signed to a contract that would qualify (no minimum bullshit... which most of those guys might get offered. It's estimated they must have a contract in the top 50 percentile of NFL contracts to qualify) They also have to make it on their new team until week 10. Finally the Seahawks also have to not sign anyone else, which is unlikely given that they still don't have a full roster, much less anywhere close to a 90 man.

Also they don't disqualify the lowest comp pick. You'd need one of these guys to sign a $10 million contract to get another 4th rounder, which is unlikely as hell. PC/JS are the one guys paying Jockel that kinda money.