Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Byron Maxwell

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Byron Maxwell
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am
  • Are the Seahawks going to re-sign him? He played very well for us again, after flaming out in Philadelphia and Miami.

Maxwell knows the scheme. He doesn't get beat a lot. He's a great tackler. And he's a proven ballhawk.

Griffin/Maxwell/Coleman could be a good CB group.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Re: Bryon Maxwell
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 am
  • Love Maxwell, but old guys with their best ball behind them aren't guys you re-sign during a youth movement.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am
  • Hopefully Maxwell played well for us.
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 am
  • Adds great depth, but if he wants too much money then no.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:07 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Love Maxwell, but old guys with their best ball behind them aren't guys you re-sign during a youth movement.

Every good team needs a mix of veterans and young upstarts. New England is consistently the oldest team in the league; they have found that cheap veterans (a la Byron Maxwell) are usually more physically developed and better prepared than the typical rookie.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm
  • We somewhat need Maxwell back, but it will depend on cost. I don't see them throwing more than 3-4M at him tops. Going young there and saving the $$ to next years cap may well play into these decisions. I think they are going hard at 2019 personally, and cap rollover $$ is a part of that working.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm
  • He was great for us last year. Not sherman great but better then when he played opposite of Sherman.
    StaffAmerica74
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
  • Maxwell is a little bit of a "low miles" player because his first year he only played 9 games mostly on special teams, and he also played only 9 in his second year.

But more importantly, he works in our defensive scheme. He didn't work in Philadelphia, or Miami, but he was good here before he left, and good when he came back. I think he's currently better than Coleman, and considering we just lightened our CB budget by a fair bit, we should be able to afford him.

He does tend to let the receiver catch the ball, but is a sure tackler and quite adept at forcing fumbles. He has 11 forced fumbles to match the 11 INTs in his career. Has decent size and speed. He has had some ankle and hamstring issues in the past couple years, but I'd certainly give him a 1-2 year deal until we find a sure replacement.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:27 pm
  • I like BMax a lot because he is scrappy and excels in our scheme. With the loss of Sherman I think it would be a very good idea to retain him.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:10 pm
  • B max is a patriots style player in the sense that he only works in the Seahawks system and no where else.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:45 pm
  • Maxwell was is always in the right place to win the tip drill causing turnovers. He looked like his old self last year. I hope he stays. We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:20 pm
  • Give him $2-4m and bring him back please. He knows the system and he can help lead by example.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:00 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:Maxwell is a little bit of a "low miles" player because his first year he only played 9 games mostly on special teams, and he also played only 9 in his second year.

But more importantly, he works in our defensive scheme. He didn't work in Philadelphia, or Miami, but he was good here before he left, and good when he came back. I think he's currently better than Coleman, and considering we just lightened our CB budget by a fair bit, we should be able to afford him.

He does tend to let the receiver catch the ball, but is a sure tackler and quite adept at forcing fumbles. He has 11 forced fumbles to match the 11 INTs in his career. Has decent size and speed. He has had some ankle and hamstring issues in the past couple years, but I'd certainly give him a 1-2 year deal until we find a sure replacement.

You're assuming our defensive scheme will remain the same.

Brave soul.
    TalontedNoseRider
    * NET Kook *

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm
  • Atradees wrote:We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.

Quote of the weekend.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Atradees wrote:We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.

Quote of the weekend.

The only CB of those we have right now is Shaq. Coleman should be back as a RFA.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Atradees wrote:We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.

Quote of the weekend.

The only CB of those we have right now is Shaq. Coleman should be back as a RFA.

And Coleman is overrated. Getting pick-sixes against Jacoby Brissett and a terrible decision by Dak Prescott doesn't make one a Pro bowler. He's also largely a slot corner.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 am
  • I'm hoping Maxwell comes back on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 am
  • TalontedNoseRider wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Maxwell is a little bit of a "low miles" player because his first year he only played 9 games mostly on special teams, and he also played only 9 in his second year.

Brave soul.

of course it will stay the same. It will be the same scheme as long at Pete is the coach.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am
  • Byron.

;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 am
  • I'd be happy with Maxwell on a 2/3 year deal at $4-5M per.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:25 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Aros wrote:

Quote of the weekend.

And Coleman is overrated. Getting pick-sixes against Jacoby Brissett and a terrible decision by Dak Prescott doesn't make one a Pro bowler. He's also largely a slot corner.

Jimmy Graham is overrated.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Re: Byron Maxwell
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:51 pm
  • Hope we can keep Byron on a good deal. Not worth Eagles or Dolphins money though. I always really liked the way he played in our system. I love they way he punches the ball. Damn he is 30? 2011 was a long time ago I guess.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm
  • TalontedNoseRider wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Maxwell is a little bit of a "low miles" player because his first year he only played 9 games mostly on special teams, and he also played only 9 in his second year.

Brave soul.

Are you suggesting Pete Carroll is not the architect of it?
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Aros wrote:

Quote of the weekend.

Top 5 slot CB according to Bleacher Report. Teams play nickel what, 70%+ of the time so that's basically a starter.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Quote of the weekend.

Top 5 slot CB according to Bleacher Report. Teams play nickel what, 70%+ of the time so that's basically a starter.

And earning less than $3M this season.

Tremendous value.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Love Maxwell, but old guys with their best ball behind them aren't guys you re-sign during a youth movement.

Actually, that is exactly what you do. Cheap good veterans to coach up and lead the next group of studs.
    DeletedAccount
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 am
  • Was watching a program on basketball the other day. Manning was green to his team and never even practiced with the team before he played for them. He asked one of the players what he needed to do and was told what had to happen. He did EXACTLY what he was told and failed miserably. After the play sequence, he approached the player and the player told him that he was trying to make the team too.

Coaching can come in many ways...and some of the players are bloodthirsty for the money.

Having Maxwell on the team for consistency may help. But coaching will ultimately come from the coaches. These players want to stay on the field as long as they can to get the incentive moneys.

If the team changes schemes, then Maxie will end up gone anyway.

By the way...I saw the basketball interview on WatchStadium dot com. Over the air tv boise channel 35.4.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 am
  • I'm sure Maxwell will be done in the next couple of weeks.

Teams prioritize signings............McDougall was first, then Coleman was given a 2nd round tender yesterday, and I assume Jordan will also be given his tender today or tomorrow...........then John will start working on FA's once the window hits, and I assume Maxwell will be given a nice one year deal to stay.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 am
  • Maxwell actually allowed a lot of yards last year. The graph is for "yards after the catch". It's low because Maxwell either was burned for a TD (no yards after the catch) or because he tackled a guy right after he caught it (low yards after the catch). The graph is very misleading and not really an indicator of good play.

Here's an example: In the Jaguars game he was targeted 9 times. He allowed 8 catches for 115 yards and a TD.

I hope he comes back, as he's a system guy who fits here. But I don't think he played as well as some as you think he did.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:

I hope he comes back, as he's a system guy who fits here. But I don't think he played as well as some as you think he did.

I agree, and while I wouldn't mind him back next year, I'd not want him to be a starting corner. You want to give him 1-2M a year for some depth so he can spell the starters or if there's an injury? I'm fine with that, but any sort of starting CB contract and I'm out.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:53 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Here's an example: In the Jaguars game he was targeted 9 times. He allowed 8 catches for 115 yards and a TD.

Did you watch those plays? A couple of those were just uncoverable perfection-throws from Bortles having a Pro Bowl game. It happens sometimes. Lots of easy crossing routes in that game, too, Jax had a good gameplan and Maxwell got blamed for them. The TD looked like a coverage mixup involving Maxwell and Terence Garvin, so that was bad, but he also had a good defense near the end that could have changed the outcome if he made it a pick.

I dunno. Maxwell's all right. And his familiarity with the system does count for something. Again, it's one of those situations where our lack of draft collateral makes you go, "Who ELSE are we going to run with?"
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:42 am
  • Maxwell is not good. He's mediocre at best. He does have a knack for making plays though, forced fumbles, etc... but as far as coverage he's garbage...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:07 am
  • Surprised many thought Maxwell played well. We must be watching different games cause he did not look good this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 am
  • Love Maxwell and what he helped us achieve in his first go-round.

His game last season seemed to be to play 'off' then try to make a play on the ball or at least make a quick tackle. The only reason to bring in a guy like him is because of injuries (last year) or near complete failure to draft depth at CB.

As stated, he better come cheap or he's not worth it, imo.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am
  • I think you have to consider Richard was having them play off and a lot more deeper zones a lot, not exactly Maxwells strength, could also be a reason he is gone BTW, were a press coverage defense at our best.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:56 am
  • I think the fact that he struggled when he was in Miami and philly does us good when it come to signing him simply because other teams might look at that and figure this is the only system he’s good in
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am
  • I don't know, I am not convinced, he was good at the past years, but, the last season he did some mistakes, I am not convinced however He knows the seahawks plan
    U mad bro? Sherman to Brady
    Camilobu02
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 am
  • Byron Maxwell is one of those treasured tacklers that fights for every blade of grass. He sticks a ball carrier hard and in many cases stops them in their tracks ...... cold.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:14 am
  • Im sure theyll get this one done as it'll be a no impact move. You either grab great corners or put pressure on the qb, we're going with the none of the above option.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am
  • IMO Maxwell played very well last year after his return to Seattle. He doesn't give up many big plays, plays the ball and he's great tackler for a CB.

Really hope we bring him back on a fair 1 or 2 year deal.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am
  • What do you guys see his contract being at?

I’m thinking something starting with a 3 (per year), opinions?
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am
  • original poster wrote:What do you guys see his contract being at?

I think that's about right, Coleman got just under $3MM. I think with Maxwell's history and starting ability in our scheme you need to be just above the $3MM mark with some incentives tied to it that bring it up closer to $4MM.

I'm not much of a cap guy, though.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    original poster wrote:What do you guys see his contract being at?

I think that's about right, Coleman got just under $3MM. I think with Maxwell's history and starting ability in our scheme you need to be just above the $3MM mark with some incentives tied to it that bring it up closer to $4MM.

I think you are correct. Not a cap guy here either....just a cat guy. Meow...

he he hee :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:48 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    original poster wrote:What do you guys see his contract being at?

I think you are correct. Not a cap guy here either....just a cat guy. Meow...

he he hee :irishdrinkers:

Cats and the cap, I can get on board with this.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:14 pm
  • Hmm, this delay is weird.

IMO, he'll sign with another team, get a large bonus, get cut, and we sign him...
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:16 pm
  • 3 years 17 million.

We resign Thomas. Shaq takes another step forward. Coleman in the slot better than Lane.

We still have RW........and make the playoffs.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:49 pm
  • This is what’s throwing me.

I have my suspicions that $3M wouldn’t be enough for the starter at CB2 but I’d be uncomfortable paying him anything more than about $4.5M per.

I could see $2M for one year or $15M over 3 years. Really tough one to garage.

I’d bet my house he stays in Seattle, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm
  • original poster wrote:This is what’s throwing me.

I have my suspicions that $3M wouldn’t be enough for the starter at CB2 but I’d be uncomfortable paying him anything more than about $4.5M per.

I could see the contract looking bigger than it pans out to be.........plays out two years
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 pm
  • Atradees wrote:
    original poster wrote:This is what’s throwing me.

I could see the contract looking bigger than it pans out to be.........plays out two years

Agreed if it’s anything over 2 years (which I find kinda unlikely).

If I absolutely had to guess I’d say 1 year $4M or 2 years $7.5-8M.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Next

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information