Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UPDATE - Sherman Released

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UPDATE - Sherman Released
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 am
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Re: UPDATE - Sherman Released
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 am
  • As expected, not a good day.

Thank you, Richard.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• What???????????????

Sherman NOW released doesn't deserve it's own thread?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Damn. I knew it was eventually going to happen. Doesn't mean it's any easier to accept. Thanks for the memories Sherm and helping bring a Super Bowl home to Seattle. Good luck in the future, with the game of Football and everything else.
    Last edited by Mistashoesta on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:What???????????????

Makes far more sense to have it in with all the speculation.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:What???????????????

OK....thanks for the title update at least.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 am
  • I think I'm going to be sick. So depressed. Thanks, Sherm!
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:53 am
  • There have been a number of posts on this, but Sherm never got over the super bowl loss. He has been vocal in his criticism since then and likely holds some resentment toward the team or coaches. Probably a difficult thing to deal with, an extremely jaded and mouthy legend. He is now seriously injured, and makes 13m. He likely takes less to play elsewhere while flipping us the bird. It’s a sad way for things to end, but not unexpected. You’d wish things were more amiccable and we could have worked out an extension at a lower rate — but alas, no nice ending in this one.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am
  • Goodbye, Sherman. Best personality on the team, and an inspiring competitor. Some team is going to be really happy to have him next season.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 am
  • I understand why it was done, but it doesn’t make it any easier. Wish Richard could could stay, but unfortunately paying 11 million for a player, that won’t see the field till November at the earliest, and then would also be a free agent at the end of the year makes no sense. I thank him for everything he did on the field, and wish him the best. His legend will never be forgotten.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am
  • Damn it. Just damn it
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 am
  • Really a sad day. Sherm single handedly did so much for this team and franchise. I will never forget the Tip, the rant after the tip, his passion for the game and how great of a player he was. Thanks for the memories Sherm! Sad to see him go, but bets of luck to him!

I mean this tweet hit me the most:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:Image

The case is certainly going to be getting a clean today.

I wonder if it would be legal to have Paul buy that ball from Sherman for $1M + or so?

....or, we could do like NE does with Brady and just pay Shermans dog $10M per year to guard VMAC.

WOOF....

Exactly!
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

• original poster wrote:

It doesn't at all.

Somewhere in the middle of page 7 of a thread that's all speculation, rumors, conjecture, and assumptions we find the actual news that something actually happened.

That doesn't make much sense at all to me and I think would be awfully confusing to someone that hasn't been following this thread since it started especially with the change to the title. Just my opinion of course.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 am
  • Any reactions from Earl ? I wonder if he even wants to be here now. He's only got a couple all pro years left and looking around at the secondary he'll be working with in 2018 is very disheartening for a competitor like Thomas is. I'm thinking he'll be asking for a trade here pretty soon.

When teams start to gut and rebuild, the HOFers should be kept. To me , Wagner and Thomas are the current players that fit that bill. All the others, including Wilson and Sherman, will just be remembered as really good Hawks.

Largent, Jones, Tez, Easley, Thomas, and Wagner can all be argued at being the best to play their positions.
    Hotchy
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 am
  • It's been real Sherm, wish you all the best.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am
  • From the sounds of it on the radio, it seems Sherman understands the situation and doesn't hold any grudges. Realizes it's a business decision and still has love for the Seahawks and Seattle. Team and him have worked it out to give him the most opportunity coming off the injury and free up cap space (considering the injury risk).

Looks like Seattle is giving him the ability to test the market and everyone believes that the door is open for him to come back with a new contract.

This is where having a good personal relationship and not dumping on players pays off. Gets around some of the hurt feelings can happen when the business intervenes.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:Image

The case is certainly going to be getting a clean today.

I wonder if it would be legal to have Paul buy that ball from Sherman for $1M + or so?

....or, we could do like NE does with Brady and just pay Shermans dog $10M per year to guard VMAC.

Paul would have to buy it from me...
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:45 am
  • I understand, but I'm still sad.

I think Sherm has a number of years ahead of him, even as he loses speed. He's the best tackling corner I've ever seen. He'll be a first rate safety or nicklebacker.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    original poster wrote:

It doesn't at all.

Somewhere in the middle of page 7 of a thread that's all speculation, rumors, conjecture, and assumptions we find the actual news that something actually happened.

That doesn't make much sense at all to me and I think would be awfully confusing to someone that hasn't been following this thread since it started especially with the change to the title. Just my opinion of course.

Valid point, I’ve made it it’s own topic.

Not as if Richard doesn’t deserve it :2thumbs:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am
  • Thanks for the memories, and the championship, Sherm! Loved your confidence, your tackling, and being in QBs heads so much. It was a glorious run!
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am
  • Goodbye LOB.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:Goodbye LOB.

With Kam and Browner gone there was no more boom anyway.

Maybe LOL for Legion of Lockdown could have worked for 2018?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am
  • Hotchy wrote:Any reactions from Earl ? I wonder if he even wants to be here now. He's only got a couple all pro years left and looking around at the secondary he'll be working with in 2018 is very disheartening for a competitor like Thomas is. I'm thinking he'll be asking for a trade here pretty soon.

When teams start to gut and rebuild, the HOFers should be kept. To me , Wagner and Thomas are the current players that fit that bill. All the others, including Wilson and Sherman, will just be remembered as really good Hawks.

Largent, Jones, Tez, Easley, Thomas, and Wagner can all be argued at being the best to play their positions.

Pretty sure 100% of NFL fans will remember Russell Wilson more than Bobby Wagner

Also, Wilson’s path to the Hall of Fame is right on par with ET and Wagner. You realize it’s incredibly difficult for QBs to get All Pros? Wilson was a Top 3 candidate for MVP until the wheels completely fell off the team Week 14.

It amazes me how underappreciated Russell Wilson is amongst Seahawks fans.

And no, ET, Largent, and Wagner cannot be argued as all time best at their position. Lmao. What a dumb post
    Last edited by Steve2222 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:16 am

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 am
  • Rat wrote:Some team is going to be really happy to have him next season.

GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:25 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:Goodbye LOB.

Does the LOB moniker stay as long as there is still one remaining member? Or do we retire it to the Ring of Honor?
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am
  • Steve2222 wrote:
    Hotchy wrote:Any reactions from Earl ? I wonder if he even wants to be here now. He's only got a couple all pro years left and looking around at the secondary he'll be working with in 2018 is very disheartening for a competitor like Thomas is. I'm thinking he'll be asking for a trade here pretty soon.

Pretty sure 100% of NFL fans will remember Russell Wilson more than Bobby Wagner

Also, Wilson’s path to the Hall of Fame is right on par with ET and Wagner. You realize it’s incredibly difficult for QBs to get All Pros? Wilson was a Top 3 candidate for MVP until the wheels completely fell off the team Week 14.

And no, ET, Largent, and Wagner cannot be argued as all time best at their position. Lmao. What a dumb post

My lord how is Russ not on track for the HoF?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 am
  • #patriotsbound
    stang233
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:
    Hotchy wrote:Any reactions from Earl ? I wonder if he even wants to be here now. He's only got a couple all pro years left and looking around at the secondary he'll be working with in 2018 is very disheartening for a competitor like Thomas is. I'm thinking he'll be asking for a trade here pretty soon.

My lord how is Russ not on track for the HoF?

Right? Blows my mind how much he’s taken for granted.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:37 am
  • He said he wants to go somewhere with a great qb.

Thanks Sherman. It was a helluva ride.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:He said he wants to go somewhere with a great qb.

Are you just stirring up crap here? Please show evidence of this, because if he said that it would undoubtedly close the door to him returning to Seattle. :141847_bnono:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 am
  • Folks on this message board have been saying that we ought to be emulating the Patriots for some time now. Well....today is the day that will be marked in the history of the Hawks.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:54 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:He said he wants to go somewhere with a great qb.

Are you just stirring up crap here? Please show evidence of this, because if he said that it would undoubtedly close the door to him returning to Seattle. :141847_bnono:

My apologies....looks like he did say that.

What kind of a statement was that Sherm?? :shock: :roll: :shock:

What are the priorities as he makes his decision? The four-time All Pro told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero that he's looking for the right fit on a team with a "great quarterback," a place in which he will be "comfortable."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920417/article/cornerback-richard-shermans-potential-landing-spots
    Last edited by original poster on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am
  • So now you guys are implying Wilson isn’t a great QB?

Wow
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am
  • So we couldn’t trade him because no one else wanted to pay his salary? After releasing him can we sign him again at a more reasonable rate but a little over what the market might pay?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 pm
  • Steve2222 wrote:So now you guys are implying Wilson isn’t a great QB?

Wow

Hell no! Sherman made that statement and it implies HE thinks Wilson isn't a great QB. Or it sure could imply that. This is Wilsons team, and those Sherm vs Wilson rumors last year may well be true and part of this.
    Last edited by Seymour on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:01 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:So we couldn’t trade him because no one else wanted to pay his salary? After releasing him can we sign him again at a more reasonable rate but a little over what the market might pay?

Might be because he wouldn't be able to pass a physical?
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:So now you guys are implying Wilson isn’t a great QB?

Wow

Hell no! Sherman made that statement and it implies HE thinks Wilson isn't a great QB. Or it sure could imply that. This is Wilsons team, and those Sherm vs Wilson rumors may well be true and part of this.

Sherman didn't leave of his own choice saying he'd rather be on a team with a great QB. Assuming he said it at all, he very well is likely saying that the next team he plays on he wants them to have a great qb. This increases playoff potential, so it's what most free agents would like. It's only fans who want to stir the pot who are trying to make it something it's most definitely not

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Wow

Hell no! Sherman made that statement and it implies HE thinks Wilson isn't a great QB. Or it sure could imply that. This is Wilsons team, and those Sherm vs Wilson rumors may well be true and part of this.

Sherman didn't leave of his own choice saying he'd rather be on a team with a great QB. Assuming he said it at all, he very well is likely saying that the next team he plays on he wants them to have a great qb. This increases playoff potential, so it's what most free agents would like. It's only fans who want to stir the pot who are trying to make it something it's most definitely not

Disagree. When have you ever heard a FA make a comment like that besides possibly a WR? That was a calculated statement IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:09 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Rat wrote:Some team is going to be really happy to have him next season.

I'm happy to hear this and I hope it happens.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Really a sad day. Sherm single handedly did so much for this team and franchise. I will never forget the Tip, the rant after the tip, his passion for the game and how great of a player he was. Thanks for the memories Sherm! Sad to see him go, but bets of luck to him!

I mean this tweet hit me the most:

Easy..

He was here 7 years
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Wow

Disagree. When have you ever heard a FA make a comment like that besides possibly a WR? That was a calculated statement IMO.

You've referenced dozens of times...

So find the quote
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Wow

He is obviously leaving here, so this team is likely not even on his radar at the moment, so Wilson isn't even a part of the equation. It's only a calculated statement if you want to believe it is.

Lots of players seek out teams with great qbs because those teams make the playoffs way more often. Free agents want the most money on the best teams. Sherman has already been paid, and his next check will likely be on a prove it type deal coming off the injury, so money is less a factor for him. That really only leaves the team choice. Free agents either want a specific region or a team that consistently is a contender. By asking for a team with a great qb, sherman is setting his bar for which teams he'll even talk to. Still has nothing to do with RW as we are the team he is leaving, not a team he is going to.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time explaining it though. It's quite obvious that fans will believe what they want to believe, truth be damned.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Rat wrote:Some team is going to be really happy to have him next season.

I would love to see this happen, but I fear some team will give him an incentive laden deal that he'll be happy to sign as he will probably meet the incentives.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:17 pm
  • Seymour wrote:

Wow

Hell no! Sherman made that statement and it implies HE thinks Wilson isn't a great QB. Or it sure could imply that. This is Wilsons team, and those Sherm vs Wilson rumors last year may well be true and part of this.

I don’t get that impression at all from his comments. He’s even said the door hasn’t closed to sign back with the Seahawks.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:Folks on this message board have been saying that we ought to be emulating the Patriots for some time now. Well....today is the day that will be marked in the history of the Hawks.

Nah, Pats would have traded him last year and gotten a first for him. Also zero percent chance they re-sign Chancellor to that abomination of a contract that he's on. As far as emulating the Pats, this FO is a day late and a dollar short.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Wow

Beg to differ. Saying he wants to play with a great QB is implying he wants to play with a SB contender, as 9 times out of 10 you need a great QB to do such.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 pm
  • Sherman didn't imply Russ isn't a great QB :roll: :roll:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

He is obviously leaving here, so this team is likely not even on his radar at the moment, so Wilson isn't even a part of the equation. It's only a calculated statement if you want to believe it is.

Lots of players seek out teams with great qbs because those teams make the playoffs way more often. Free agents want the most money on the best teams. Sherman has already been paid, and his next check will likely be on a prove it type deal coming off the injury, so money is less a factor for him. That really only leaves the team choice. Free agents either want a specific region or a team that consistently is a contender. By asking for a team with a great qb, sherman is setting his bar for which teams he'll even talk to. Still has nothing to do with RW as we are the team he is leaving, not a team he is going to.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time explaining it though. It's quite obvious that fans will believe what they want to believe, truth be damned.

Except eliminating the other 90% of the teams costs him $$$.

Also, what I or anyone else believes has zero to do with if he thought and measured those words prior to making them. He either did or didn't.

Lastly. When people are making a change, often they look for a better situation then they left, so the wants could well be a list of what he would like to improve on.

That said, I said possible, and it's possible it is nothing also. But the Wilson's not held accountable complaints last year are well documented.
    Last edited by Seymour on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information