Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Seahawks better learn from the Mariners

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • There was a time that the Mariners were beloved here.

    The stadium was packed. People had flags and T-Shirts.

    Every business had the radio or TV turned to the games. And everyone stopped everything they were doing when Griffey was batting, Edgar was up or Randy was pitching.

    Eventually Randy started to get 'old' and they got rid of him. But the fans watched him literally carry (with another pitcher) a borderline expansion team to the playoffs and win it for them.

    It pissed a lot of people here off, especially when Griffey got dealt and the excuse was guys were getting older and we had to replace them.

    We did replace them, somewhat. We got Hernandez eventually and people got a little excited about that occasionally when he pitched. But for the most part, getting rid of aging stars just got us average players that were soon forgotten.

    And that crazy love this city had for the Mariners, so strong that literally barely making it into the playoffs on that Joey Cora hit (not even to get into the World Series, just to get to the next playoff series which we lost) became a seminal moment. That same love vanished overnight.

    You could not give away Mariner gear then.

    When people say they love the team, they really love the players. When you release those guys, you better find something good for people to cling to afterward or they will get bitter.

    If Bennett or Sherman ends up being some difference maker on a team that makes it to the SB? People are going to hold it against the Seahawks and they are going to desert the team. Not for lack of loyalty but because they will feel bitter & burned.

    That SB built a lot of goodwill up but that SB loss, combined with how it was handled and the years of underperforming steadily chipped away at it. If this team misses the playoffs even a few years while its former stars go on to help other teams win them? People will drop their 12 flags quickly.

    There better be a sense of urgency with whatever changes they are making.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Scrap that entire subject.

    We have Paul Allen not some foreign uninterested owner.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5135
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • The Seahawks orgnization is miles ahead of the mariners. It's not even close
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 285
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm


  • If the Mariners would win some games, people would love them again too.

    Yes we love the players, but I think you have it backwards. Most of us would say we love the team ahead of the players.

    Winning is what sells tickets. You could keep an aging core, but as soon as they start missing the playoffs every year because they are hurt, old, and slower the ticket sales will fade then too.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Except that the organization isn't the issue.

    It isn't the organization.

    This town is not Cleveland. It will not support losers.

    Cleveland Browns fans or Cubs fans will dutifully fill stadiums even during losing years. We do not do this.

    Ask Husky football or basketball fans how quickly stadiums empty out when the wins leave.

    So when you trade or lose stars, that are one of the few things that keep people loyal - then you better win, because losing favorite players while turning in disappointing seasons is a good way to get fans here to drop you quickly.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Except that the organization isn't the issue.

    It isn't the organization.

    This town is not Cleveland. It will not support losers.

    Cleveland Browns fans or Cubs fans will dutifully fill stadiums even during losing years. We do not do this.

    Ask Husky football or basketball fans how quickly stadiums empty out when the wins leave.

    So when you trade or lose stars, that are one of the few things that keep people loyal - then you better win, because losing favorite players while turning in disappointing seasons is a good way to get fans here to drop you quickly.


    You are arguing against your own point. The way to win is to keep the core of the team young and hungry. Extending expensive, aging veterans has never been a recipe for success in football.

    You say winning is most important, but then argue for keeping expensive old players. They don't go together.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • No what I am saying is that when you get rid of 'aging' stars and then you go into the tank, while those same 'aging' stars go on to be stars for other teams you lose a lot of goodwill and a lot of loyalty.

    People understand that teams age and need to let go of once great players.

    But letting go of the greats and then replacing them with average nothings, and proceeding to falter without those guys? While they push another team forward?

    That becomes very difficult to forgive and it takes a long time to recover from that. You cannot win forever, regardless of the book title. So you better have a way of nursing that loyalty built up in the winning to carry you through to the next winning period.

    If you drive those people away? It makes that job much more difficult.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • The team isn't trying to replace stars with average nothings. They are trying to find new stars. And to do that you have to make room for them by letting go of the older players.

    If the Hawks didn't let Hasselbeck go when they did (because the fans love him and he took them to the playoffs in 2010) then they could miss out on Wilson. Although T-Jack bridged them, Hass was still playing in the NFL when Wilson came on the scene. Should the Hawks have just kept extending and starting Hasselbeck because the fans were loyal to him?

    If they didn't trade away David Hawthorne (because the fans liked him at MLB) and kept extending him then they might miss out on Wagner.

    Even Richard Sherman was a replacement for Marcus Trufant (a fan favorite, Pro Bowl CB). Back in 2011 you think fans loved the idea of Trufant being replaced by a 5th round rookie? Richard Sherman became a star when his playing time opened up.

    If you just hang on to the older guys you most assuredly will not win a lot of games if you hang on too long. You might also miss out on some future stars because there is no spot for them on the roster or they get no playing time. It sucks when our favorite players have to go. But in the NFL that is how it works if you want to stay competitive.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Seymour wrote:Scrap that entire subject.

    We have Paul Allen not some foreign uninterested owner.


    Amen.

    OP was comparing apples to rotten oranges...
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1519
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:10 pm


  • Some of your don’t seem to remember the 90s when the Seahawks were playing to a half empty stadium. Op is right that if they become a perpetual loser again they will lose many fans. The rest of you are correct that the current ownership most likely won’t let that happen.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • TwistedHusky wrote:No what I am saying is that when you get rid of 'aging' stars and then you go into the tank, while those same 'aging' stars go on to be stars for other teams you lose a lot of goodwill and a lot of loyalty.

    People understand that teams age and need to let go of once great players.

    But letting go of the greats and then replacing them with average nothings, and proceeding to falter without those guys? While they push another team forward?

    That becomes very difficult to forgive and it takes a long time to recover from that. You cannot win forever, regardless of the book title. So you better have a way of nursing that loyalty built up in the winning to carry you through to the next winning period.

    If you drive those people away? It makes that job much more difficult.


    Both Bennett and Sherman were average nothings before they got here. Now they are great mouths that are in the way of progress.

    They got their chance with a rebuilding coach that was putting together his vision.

    Lock the roster down with aging and costly vets then try to claim we "always compete" didn't work for obvious reasons.

    Now we have the clean slate (or beginning to have), to start that process over again.

    Nobody (that matters) is bailing on this team in a year or 2 of rebuild ball.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5135
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • JSeahawks wrote:Some of your don’t seem to remember the 90s when the Seahawks were playing to a half empty stadium. Op is right that if they become a perpetual loser again they will lose many fans. The rest of you are correct that the current ownership most likely won’t let that happen.


    You may not remember the reason for that at the end, we were going to be the Los Angeles Black Hawks TILL Paul stepped in.

    Image

    Image

    It was Feb. 2, 1996, that then-owner Ken Behring announced his plan to relocate the Seahawks -- which makes the 10th anniversary of the franchise's darkest hour seem even more surreal in light of the Seahawks' appearance Sunday in Super Bowl XL.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24488
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • And block an arena being built so the Sonics don't return?
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 344
    Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:05 am


  • chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Some of your don’t seem to remember the 90s when the Seahawks were playing to a half empty stadium. Op is right that if they become a perpetual loser again they will lose many fans. The rest of you are correct that the current ownership most likely won’t let that happen.


    You may not remember the reason for that at the end, we were going to be the Los Angeles Black Hawks TILL Paul stepped in.

    Image

    Image

    It was Feb. 2, 1996, that then-owner Ken Behring announced his plan to relocate the Seahawks -- which makes the 10th anniversary of the franchise's darkest hour seem even more surreal in light of the Seahawks' appearance Sunday in Super Bowl XL.


    There were a whole lot of empty seats way before that was a thing.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • The M's are not even in the same stratosphere as the Hawks. Come on. This is a Football town, has been forever.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9873
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Not forever.

    You don't remember the "Go Mariners....and take the Seahawks with you" bumperstickers?

    It was a Husky town, until they started losing.

    It was a Sonics town (actually even during some down years)

    It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

    Sure people were in the stadium during the 2 win seasons but lets not pretend this love affair lasts forever.

    This town like winners and does not tolerate losers.
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • HawkFan72 wrote:The team isn't trying to replace stars with average nothings. They are trying to find new stars. And to do that you have to make room for them by letting go of the older players.

    If the Hawks didn't let Hasselbeck go when they did (because the fans love him and he took them to the playoffs in 2010) then they could miss out on Wilson. Although T-Jack bridged them, Hass was still playing in the NFL when Wilson came on the scene. Should the Hawks have just kept extending and starting Hasselbeck because the fans were loyal to him?

    If they didn't trade away David Hawthorne (because the fans liked him at MLB) and kept extending him then they might miss out on Wagner.

    Even Richard Sherman was a replacement for Marcus Trufant (a fan favorite, Pro Bowl CB). Back in 2011 you think fans loved the idea of Trufant being replaced by a 5th round rookie? Richard Sherman became a star when his playing time opened up.

    If you just hang on to the older guys you most assuredly will not win a lot of games if you hang on too long. You might also miss out on some future stars because there is no spot for them on the roster or they get no playing time. It sucks when our favorite players have to go. But in the NFL that is how it works if you want to stay competitive.



    It is nice to see that some of us get it!!!! NFL (Not For Long)
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 94
    Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm


  • JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Some of your don’t seem to remember the 90s when the Seahawks were playing to a half empty stadium. Op is right that if they become a perpetual loser again they will lose many fans. The rest of you are correct that the current ownership most likely won’t let that happen.


    You may not remember the reason for that at the end, we were going to be the Los Angeles Black Hawks TILL Paul stepped in.

    Image

    Image

    It was Feb. 2, 1996, that then-owner Ken Behring announced his plan to relocate the Seahawks -- which makes the 10th anniversary of the franchise's darkest hour seem even more surreal in light of the Seahawks' appearance Sunday in Super Bowl XL.


    There were a whole lot of empty seats way before that was a thing.


    Umm No there wasn't.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24488
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Griffey and The Big Unit both wanted to leave, what the hell are you talking about? Griffey wasn’t old either. At the time he was traded, he was the best player in baseball in his prime. He made it pretty clear he was not going to resign in free agency with the Mariners.

    Please stop this garbage.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1806
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


  • TwistedHusky wrote:
    It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

    .


    I take it you weren’t a Seahawks fan prior to 2008?

    You’re aware the Seahawks went on a 5 year playoff stretch from 2003-2007 that included 4 NFC West championships and an NFC Championship?

    Wow there are a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1806
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


  • chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Some of your don’t seem to remember the 90s when the Seahawks were playing to a half empty stadium. Op is right that if they become a perpetual loser again they will lose many fans. The rest of you are correct that the current ownership most likely won’t let that happen.


    You may not remember the reason for that at the end, we were going to be the Los Angeles Black Hawks TILL Paul stepped in.

    Image

    Image

    It was Feb. 2, 1996, that then-owner Ken Behring announced his plan to relocate the Seahawks -- which makes the 10th anniversary of the franchise's darkest hour seem even more surreal in light of the Seahawks' appearance Sunday in Super Bowl XL.


    There were a whole lot of empty seats way before that was a thing.


    Umm No there wasn't.


    I originally got my season tickets in ‘92. $10 a seat. They weren’t that cheap because the stadium wa getting filled up.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23888
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    You may not remember the reason for that at the end, we were going to be the Los Angeles Black Hawks TILL Paul stepped in.

    Image

    Image



    There were a whole lot of empty seats way before that was a thing.


    Umm No there wasn't.


    I originally got my season tickets in ‘92. $10 a seat. They weren’t that cheap because the stadium wa getting filled up.


    I have been here from the beginning, up until Behring bought them there was always a wait list.

    In 1988, Behring and partner Ken Hofmann purchased the NFL's Seattle Seahawks football team for $79 or $99 million (both numbers have been reported).[4][10] They transferred the team's operations to Anaheim, California in 1996, a widely criticized move, although the team continued to play in Seattle. They sold the team to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 1997, for $200 million.[10]


    The slide didn't really start until we seen him trying to play Al Davis in both GM roles and then on camera, so from about 90 on things wen bad to worse until 96. Him threatening the Fans and City was smoked out well before 96 however and the anger at him and his dismantling of the team ALA Bennett with the Sonics and then complaining about revenues and then the tiles in the Kingdome began to fall.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24488
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Nope, Football town.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9873
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Steve2222 wrote:Griffey and The Big Unit both wanted to leave, what the hell are you talking about? Griffey wasn’t old either. At the time he was traded, he was the best player in baseball in his prime. He made it pretty clear he was not going to resign in free agency with the Mariners.

    Please stop this garbage.


    Exactly. Anyone else saying anything different, is just giving fake news and revisionist history. Besides the key to the Mariners slide was pissing off Lou and running off Pat G. Oh and having a part owner who had his head up his ass while making one wrong move after another
    Last edited by CPHawk on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3328
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • CPHawk wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:Griffey and The Big Unit both wanted to leave, what the hell are you talking about? Griffey wasn’t old either. At the time he was traded, he was the best player in baseball in his prime. He made it pretty clear he was not going to resign in free agency with the Mariners.

    Please stop this garbage.


    Exactly. Anyone else saying anything different, is just giving fake news and revisionist history. Besides the key to the Mariners slide was missing off Lou and running off Pat G. Oh and having a part owner who had his head up his ass while making one wrong move after another


    Not to mention those trades netted us solid returns in Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, John Halama, and Mike Cameron and freed up cash to sign John Olerud, Mark McLemore, Arthur Rhodes, and Kaz Sasaki. All key cogs in the 116 win 2001 season. ARod leaving the next year allowed us to sign Ichiro, Bret Boone, and Jeff Nelson. Again, more key cogs in 2001. It was actually a blessing in disguise those three guys wanted out.

    OP is clueless lol. We should hope what happened to the Mariners in 99 and 00 happens to the Seahawks. We might end up with an 19-0 team. The more I think about it, this thread should be a sign of encouragement to Seahawks fans.

    Thanks OP for making me feel better about unloading our former stars.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1806
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


  • This is laughable, as long as Paul Allen is the Owner we will never go to long in the dump.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2828
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Not forever.

    You don't remember the "Go Mariners....and take the Seahawks with you" bumperstickers?

    It was a Husky town, until they started losing.

    It was a Sonics town (actually even during some down years)

    It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

    Sure people were in the stadium during the 2 win seasons but lets not pretend this love affair lasts forever.

    This town like winners and does not tolerate losers.



    I get it, dude, you are having a bad week. Do you want a hug? You forgot the Seahawks ownership group has built two different SuperBowl caliber teams in 6 years with two different GM's and two different head coaches. Every example you gave can be traced back to bad owners. The Mainers have a for-profit only ownership group. UW constantly changes their AD and the Sonics had an owner who sold the team Oklahoma.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2025
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


  • This has been a Seahawks and Husky town forever, only time there was a wavering was during the Behring era and that was because he went out of his way to piss off the fans, the Huskies were top Dawg as well until Neuheisel and Willingham screwed the pooch and Hedges messed with everything. Thankfully that was the time that Lou and Gillick got things moving in the right direction, prior to that we had players we liked on the Mariners but no real threat to do anything, I mean there was a few ownerships that threatened to move the team twice, Lenny Wilkens and George Carl had the Sonics winning for years, but they were always the second fiddle compared to Football, but loved here very much.

    It took Football to get the Kingdome Built and threat of never getting a MLB team here as long as we had Sick Stadium, remember we had Sick Stadium prior and the Pilots that played there and the MLB didn't want that.

    It was touted as a do everything facility which it was for years.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24488
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I actually was falling out of love with our players as they made it more about them than the team. So no..this does not apply.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1448
    Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 pm


  • The town was already upset with this team going 9-7 and that was WITH Bennett and Sherman on the roster. I don't see how keeping them around makes things better.

    The NFL is not MLB where the prime for players is late 20s thru mid 30s. Prime is mid 20s thru MAYBE late 20s. Bennett is out of his prime and Sherman is about to be.
    anonFAFA
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:09 am


  • This is almost as good as the NY fans who think the Seahawks could emulate the Jets if only our media was more like the NY media. I'm sure this kind of thing makes sense when you are writing the supporting arguments, but then you never stop to think about the subject line and just how silly it makes the whole argument.

    Personally, I'd manage to cope even if we do lose the bandwagon fans.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3463
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • TwistedHusky wrote:There was a time that the Mariners were beloved here.

    The stadium was packed. People had flags and T-Shirts.

    Every business had the radio or TV turned to the games. And everyone stopped everything they were doing when Griffey was batting, Edgar was up or Randy was pitching.

    Eventually Randy started to get 'old' and they got rid of him. But the fans watched him literally carry (with another pitcher) a borderline expansion team to the playoffs and win it for them.

    It pissed a lot of people here off, especially when Griffey got dealt and the excuse was guys were getting older and we had to replace them.

    We did replace them, somewhat. We got Hernandez eventually and people got a little excited about that occasionally when he pitched. But for the most part, getting rid of aging stars just got us average players that were soon forgotten.

    And that crazy love this city had for the Mariners, so strong that literally barely making it into the playoffs on that Joey Cora hit (not even to get into the World Series, just to get to the next playoff series which we lost) became a seminal moment. That same love vanished overnight.

    You could not give away Mariner gear then.

    When people say they love the team, they really love the players. When you release those guys, you better find something good for people to cling to afterward or they will get bitter.

    If Bennett or Sherman ends up being some difference maker on a team that makes it to the SB? People are going to hold it against the Seahawks and they are going to desert the team. Not for lack of loyalty but because they will feel bitter & burned.

    That SB built a lot of goodwill up but that SB loss, combined with how it was handled and the years of underperforming steadily chipped away at it. If this team misses the playoffs even a few years while its former stars go on to help other teams win them? People will drop their 12 flags quickly.

    There better be a sense of urgency with whatever changes they are making.


    Didnt the Mariners do better right after that period? From like 2000-2004. They won like 116 games a few years after having those 2 players mentioned..I dont see what the point in this thread is? The 4 highest wins in Mariner Franchise history literally came right after those 2 guys were gone
    Image

    "Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    User avatar
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2771
    Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am


  • Randy took the Diamondbacks to the World Series and I seem to remember a lot of fans tearing up their tickets then.

    Mariner stuff was on clearance everywhere. You must not have lived here then.

    Think what you want. I am starting to notice it is a lot easier to find Seahawks gear because it seems to be on clearance everywhere. A lot less 12 flags flying too.

    Sure its the offseason and we will see what happens when training camp starts.

    But I am sure that things will pick right back up, even if we miss the playoffs for a few years.


    We will see how that goes.

    Let's hope all of your unbridled optimism gets rewarded.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • I'll take an off year or two if it means re-sale ticket prices will drop from the stratosphere! In all sports you've got to take the good with the bad. The year we played N.O. in the playoffs 2011, I was able to buy South end zone seats on ticket master the Thursday before the game for my wife, myself and 2 other buds for something like $80 a seat. That's 4 seats in a row and guess what, it was glorious, I saw the Beastquake and the rest was history! Drop the aging stars and find more, period. If you cheered for this team in the 90's like me, you know, what comes around goes around and our ownership will not allow this team to stay down for long!
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 323
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • Winning sells seats even when you've been losing for a while. History has proven that. The kingdome was rocking in the 80's, fans left in the early 90's but they came right back in the 2000's.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 323
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • Sports in the US is entertainment for the most part.

    People will watch if they are entertained. If they are not.. they will spend their money elsewhere. This happens to every team in every sport.

    Not sure what the concern is...

    People think Pats fans are going to keep selling out Gillette when Brady and Bill move on?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13381
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • OP must be one of those bandwagon fans. :sarcasm_off:

    I remember when the Seahawks were terrible. I remember it going on for years.

    I also remember our family driving up to Olympia to watch those games in the pos Kingdome. I remember watching Elway beating us at Husky Stadium when ceiling tiles were falling off of the roof of the Kingdome.

    Know what I don't remember ? Seeing a lot of empty seats. Or hearing a quiet game.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7489
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • They get rid of Bevell, and where does the energy from TwistedHusy go? All over the place.

    The manifesto development level is up to 100, but the focus is bizarre.
    User avatar
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1910
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:56 pm


  • Except in all these 'manifestos' everything I warned about has come to pass.

    When we traded Unger, I warned that is was a stupid trade. We wouldn't be able to use Graham anyway and our run game would be destroyed.

    That happened.

    When we brought on Harvin, I ripped him mercilously and pointed out that he was a problem everywhere else. I also was very clear that it would lead to the loss of Tate.

    No. no. It will be different here came the chorus. You are just being Eyore was the response.

    But Harvin not only lost us the draft picks and Tate, he caused the problems with Kam holding out.

    Then I was assured the loss of Golden Tate would not matter. But I pointed out all the reasons we needed him.

    The loss of Golden Tate probably cost us 2 trips to the SB and at least one SB victory.

    Several years ago, I pointed out that we weren't going to make another SB with Bevell. EVER.

    I was pilloried. It happened.

    I pointed out the issue with the drafts and how JS was likely over his head and just living on Scott's production (when Scott left)

    That happened.

    Not including the Cary Williams, Lacy and all the rest.

    All of this is being accused of being 'doom and gloom' but maybe some of us are just seeing what is blatantly obvious. And sure enough, almost everything we saw that we were pretty clear was a stupid move by the FO, which is clearly overrated and prone to idiotic moves that our HOF roster built from 2011-2013 has simply offset in many instances, has come to pass.

    Not saying I deserve a job in the FO. I am saying these are obvious observations that should have been clear to someone in the FO who does this professionally. That they keep missing on these bets is a pretty clear sign they are overmatched. Will their luck change? Not looking likely if they are not good at their jobs.

    So yes, people are going to start dropping the Seahawks when they start missing the playoffs. Which they will do because Carroll has a tired and outdated philosophy that will not work with the strengths of his roster and because our OC has not produced much anywhere else, the expectation he will produce is unlikely.

    Carroll is gone in 2-3 years and we will have to rebuild anyway. Not sure how ripping the team apart now helps anything when our QB is actually in a productive window with if we got a good OC.

    We will see who the bet is on but I'm betting I see a lot more Eagles jerseys and even 49ers jerseys up here in a year or 2.

    And for the record, I had season tickets from the time in the Kingdome, to the time in Husky Stadium, and only sold them off when we lost that BS SuperBowl.
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:The loss of Golden Tate probably cost us 2 trips to the SB and at least one SB victory.


    I hated letting Tate walk, and it was a bad move....but Dude......you need to step away from that ledge and quiet that storm going on between the ears.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5135
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Perhaps.

    I sat through a lot of years of losing.

    Was really looking forward to a stretch like this.

    Just really disappointing to not only watch it wither and die now, but see so much opportunity was squandered because the people who get paid for this stuff just kept making ridiculous blunders and terrible overreaches.

    And now it is over.

    Even though I think we all knew it was over a few years ago. Still sucks.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3189
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Perhaps.

    I sat through a lot of years of losing.

    Was really looking forward to a stretch like this.

    Just really disappointing to not only watch it wither and die now, but see so much opportunity was squandered because the people who get paid for this stuff just kept making ridiculous blunders and terrible overreaches.

    And now it is over.

    Even though I think we all knew it was over a few years ago. Still sucks.


    Me too! Every single one of them...just like many others here. When the highlight of the season was something like Efren catching a pass on a fake FG.

    Is what it is. It's been over for 2+ years now really. Kam, Cliff, McDowell, and Sherm injury just etched it into stone.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5135
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Football is still the number 1 most popular sport in America.

    As long as the Hawks remain "competitive" people will still support the team.

    The Mariners haven't been "competitive" so their numbers reflect that.

    Pretty much, "win more than you lose, and you'll remain relevant."
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

    "Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

    "Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 673
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote: sure how ripping the team apart now helps anything when our QB is actually in a productive window with if we got a good OC.




    Cutting an injured player past his prime and trading another whose production is dipping is not "ripping the team apart"

    In all your crystal ball moments you want to take credit for, do you also see hyperbole?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13381
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • TwistedHusky wrote:There was a time that the Mariners were beloved here.

    The stadium was packed. People had flags and T-Shirts.

    Every business had the radio or TV turned to the games. And everyone stopped everything they were doing when Griffey was batting, Edgar was up or Randy was pitching.

    Eventually Randy started to get 'old' and they got rid of him. But the fans watched him literally carry (with another pitcher) a borderline expansion team to the playoffs and win it for them.

    It pissed a lot of people here off, especially when Griffey got dealt and the excuse was guys were getting older and we had to replace them.

    We did replace them, somewhat. We got Hernandez eventually and people got a little excited about that occasionally when he pitched. But for the most part, getting rid of aging stars just got us average players that were soon forgotten.

    And that crazy love this city had for the Mariners, so strong that literally barely making it into the playoffs on that Joey Cora hit (not even to get into the World Series, just to get to the next playoff series which we lost) became a seminal moment. That same love vanished overnight.

    You could not give away Mariner gear then.

    When people say they love the team, they really love the players. When you release those guys, you better find something good for people to cling to afterward or they will get bitter.

    If Bennett or Sherman ends up being some difference maker on a team that makes it to the SB? People are going to hold it against the Seahawks and they are going to desert the team. Not for lack of loyalty but because they will feel bitter & burned.

    That SB built a lot of goodwill up but that SB loss, combined with how it was handled and the years of underperforming steadily chipped away at it. If this team misses the playoffs even a few years while its former stars go on to help other teams win them? People will drop their 12 flags quickly.

    There better be a sense of urgency with whatever changes they are making.


    You're joking right? The success the Mariners have in their entire history couldn't hold a candle to the last five years of the Seahawks.
    rjas77
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 214
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 am


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Perhaps.

    I sat through a lot of years of losing.

    Was really looking forward to a stretch like this.

    Just really disappointing to not only watch it wither and die now, but see so much opportunity was squandered because the people who get paid for this stuff just kept making ridiculous blunders and terrible overreaches.

    And now it is over.

    Even though I think we all knew it was over a few years ago. Still sucks.


    Did you enjoy any of it? Because I don't recall a single post from you where you weren't bitching and moaning about something.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5383
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


  • The Mariners also hold onto aging stars for far to long just to sell a few more tickets every 5th day or in japan. King Felix should have been traded 5 years ago to.the Yankees for their best 5 prospects at the time. Ichiro stayed way to long, again could have landed a haul for him in the mid 2000s, they refused to trade Gil Mesh when he was a top prospect and had injury concerns, and instead got zero for him. The Mariners have made the wrong moves over and over, nothing about them is worth comparing to the Seahawks under Pete.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3328
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • The mariner analogy is poignant only because the year we won 116 games ARod couldn’t get a hit and Mariano Rivera shut us down. Then 911 happened and Randy and Curt beat the gated Yankees. The same Randy Johnson we wouldn’t pay for. Ouch. Then the founding member of the LOB comes back to best us in the Super Bowl. Turn back the clock! I want to go back to 2012!
    User avatar
    evergreen
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 498
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm


  • Steve2222 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:
    It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

    .


    I take it you weren’t a Seahawks fan prior to 2008?

    You’re aware the Seahawks went on a 5 year playoff stretch from 2003-2007 that included 4 NFC West championships and an NFC Championship?

    Wow there are a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans.


    I think that is what he was saying. When NW teams win the fans are at an all time high. When they lose they aren't that is the definition of bandwagon. Hell the hawks almost had a home playoff game blacked out against the rams in the 04 season because nobody thought that team had a shot to win the Super Bowl. The very next season with a 13-3 record and those playoff tickets were gone in five minutes. It is what it is.
    A.D.I.D.A.S.
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 92
    Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 pm


  • A.D.I.D.A.S. wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:
    It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

    .


    I take it you weren’t a Seahawks fan prior to 2008?

    You’re aware the Seahawks went on a 5 year playoff stretch from 2003-2007 that included 4 NFC West championships and an NFC Championship?

    Wow there are a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans.


    I think that is what he was saying. When NW teams win the fans are at an all time high. When they lose they aren't that is the definition of bandwagon. Hell the hawks almost had a home playoff game blacked out against the rams in the 04 season because nobody thought that team had a shot to win the Super Bowl. The very next season with a 13-3 record and those playoff tickets were gone in five minutes. It is what it is.


    There is some of that granted, we have such a huge influx of people here now and a lot of them are High Tech people with a desire to be in the social circles of what's the big thing going on.

    On the other hand, we also have Husky Football, The Seattle Storm, The Seattle Mariners, The Seattle Super Sonics, The Sounders, swap out the Sonics right now for the new interest in the Seattle Kraken, well maybe Kraken, I like the name.


    Hard Core fans will stay with the Sport they love, Social Mongers will follow the wave to what's popular, there is a lot going on here, and that's just what I listed, you can probably add a dozen more events I am not aware of or that are secondary Like Seattle University and Seattle Pacific.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24488
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Next


It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information