Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Trade Russ to the Browns for the 1st/4th picks and Browns 1st round pick next year

Absolutely
9%
Absolutely not
74%
I'd think about it
17%

Total votes : 255

Re: Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm
  • The problem is that without Wilson we are a 5 win team.

WITH Wilson, we are a 9 win team.

Is the 30M a year worth 4 extra wins? Especially if we are not making the playoffs?

More importantly, with what Cousins is going to do to the QB market - what would it even cost to get a reasonable but more limited QB? You might not be saving as much as you think if you traded Wilson. Because whatever you bring in to replace him is going to cost you and this is the FO that likes to give guys like Lacey 8M and Joekel 9M.

I don't for a minute believe that Wilson is worth $30M a year. But if a crappier QB costs you 15M a year...
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm
  • SkyHawks16 wrote:I just saw a thread on Reddit where the Jets were willing to give anything for Cousins. Wilson > Cousins imagine if he hits the FA, or has a say on his trade, Wilson can get everything and more while the Seahawks are stuck being 5-11. We had almost everyone besides Bobby and Russell in 2011 that we won the SB with, still went 7-9, but muuuh picks though. As if franchise QBs grow on trees.

There are some fans who look at draft picks as the magic potion for building a team. The higher the pick in the first round, the more sure fire all pro all world difference maker. It seems as though these same people fail to realize that there are 6 other rounds from which to choose players, as well as unstated free agents and free agency itself. A high pick is no guarantee of success for any team. Roughly 30%-50% of 1st round picks are out of the league shortly after 4th their draft year.
    One only needs to look at some of the history of this team in acquiring talent. High 1st round busts in Rick Mirer(#2 ) Aaron Curry(#4) and Steve Niehaus (#2) half a dozen mid 1st busts and handful of late 1st round busts.
    In terms of team assets, Russell Wilson is if not the top asset he is at the very least top 2 or 3. And as most football experts would agree, QB is the most important position to have that asset.
    You don't get rid of the player who excels at the most important position on a football team for the hope of maybe getting something close in return.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:45 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    SkyHawks16 wrote:I just saw a thread on Reddit where the Jets were willing to give anything for Cousins. Wilson > Cousins imagine if he hits the FA, or has a say on his trade, Wilson can get everything and more while the Seahawks are stuck being 5-11. We had almost everyone besides Bobby and Russell in 2011 that we won the SB with, still went 7-9, but muuuh picks though. As if franchise QBs grow on trees.

There are some fans who look at draft picks as the magic potion for building a team. The higher the pick in the first round, the more sure fire all pro all world difference maker. It seems as though these same people fail to realize that there are 6 other rounds from which to choose players, as well as unstated free agents and free agency itself. A high pick is no guarantee of success for any team. Roughly 30%-50% of 1st round picks are out of the league shortly after 4th their draft year.
    One only needs to look at some of the history of this team in acquiring talent. High 1st round busts in Rick Mirer(#2 ) Aaron Curry(#4) and Steve Niehaus (#2) half a dozen mid 1st busts and handful of late 1st round busts.
    In terms of team assets, Russell Wilson is if not the top asset he is at the very least top 2 or 3. And as most football experts would agree, QB is the most important position to have that asset.
    You don't get rid of the player who excels at the most important position on a football team for the hope of maybe getting something close in return.

Great post! A lot of fools gold out there in any draft. Even the best GM’s whiff a lot on picks. Aaron Curry was as “can’t miss” as you can get, a concensus pick at 4, a physical freak, turned out he had little desire to play football after getting his draft bonus. The draft and draft picks really are a crap shoot, much more so than many want to admit.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:47 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    All-Time NFL Passer Rating Career Leaders
    1. Aaron Rodgers, 103.8, 2005-2017
    2. Russell Wilson, 98.8, 2012-2017
    3. Tom Brady, 97.6, 2000-2017
    4. Tony Romo, 97.1, 2004-2016
    5. Steve Young, 96.8, 1985-1999
    6. Drew Brees, 96.7, 2001-2017
    7. Peyton Manning, 96.5, 1998-2015

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

How does Wilson’s passer rating look if he throws the ball away the hundreds of times he should have instead of taking the sack or running out of bounce? Basic stats don’t tell the whole story. A tier one qb can throw to the middle of the field out of the pocket. Wilson needs a special game plan to work around his shortcomings.

LOL, what would Wilson's passer rating look like if he had an average offensive line?

Wilson has had to scramble for his life and throw a ton of passes away due to the continual breakdowns in his protection.

He is a tier 1 QB; that is without a doubt. 2nd all-time in QB rating, four-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champion, eight playoff victories, 3rd most 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs in NFL history, shattered the NFL record for most TD passes in the 4th quarter, led the league in TDs and 2nd in total yards in 2017 (without an adequate offensive line, running game, or play caller).

Another question is how will Russ look with a competent OL coach and competent OC, that gameplan better and are better playcallers. My guess is he will look quite a bit better without the 2 anchors of former offensive coaches holding him down.

Hawks have been a one demensional offense since the season of XLIX, with hardly any running game outside a flash from Rawls before he got hurt.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 pm
  • I’d like to see him play somewhere where he is appriciated.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:I’d like to see him play somewhere where he is appriciated.

Tanzania?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:07 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote: this is the FO that likes to give guys like Lacey 8M and Joekel 9M.

Lacy was nowhere near $8m. $4.25m to be precise.

Joeckel was also $8m, not $9m.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am
  • He's plenty appreciated by the team, and many of the fans. At least the ones who actually get how good he is :D
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:36 am
  • The top 15 cap hits for QBs (before the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes and whatever craziness might happen with Brees and the Vikings QBs) are all 19 million or more. Wilson's is almost 24. The top 19 are still 16 million or more. And that includes Glennon, Tannehill, and Bortles. So the best any team has with a veteran, starting QB right now is 8 million in cap savings relative to Wilson.

The probability of hitting on a QB even when you can pick any given one isn't good. Ignoring last year's rookies because of a lack of time, Goff and Wentz seem to be doing really well. Winston and Mariotta are no Wilson. Then work your way back through the first round QBs through the next decade. I see six guys in there that are on Wilson's level or better. That's out of about 30 selections.

Even mediocre QBs are hard to come by; that's why a good to great QB will cost a lot. And Russell Wilson is not mediocre.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:39 am
  • His deal looks like a bargain now. That's just how it works, next big name up gets the huge $ deal and it just keeping bringing it up. Soon, 30 mil will be the norm for a top notch QB. Crazy
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 am
  • bmorepunk wrote:The top 15 cap hits for QBs (before the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes and whatever craziness might happen with Brees and the Vikings QBs) are all 19 million or more. Wilson's is almost 24. The top 19 are still 16 million or more. And that includes Glennon, Tannehill, and Bortles. So the best any team has with a veteran, starting QB right now is 8 million in cap savings relative to Wilson.

The probability of hitting on a QB even when you can pick any given one isn't good. Ignoring last year's rookies because of a lack of time, Goff and Wentz seem to be doing really well. Winston and Mariotta are no Wilson. Then work your way back through the first round QBs through the next decade. I see six guys in there that are on Wilson's level or better. That's out of about 30 selections.

Even mediocre QBs are hard to come by; that's why a good to great QB will cost a lot. And Russell Wilson is not mediocre.

Wilson's deal was 4 years $87.6M. That is $21.9M per year average. Using his $24M cap number now is totally unfair. They pushed money back into his contract last year to bring in Brown. So it's only fair to judge Wilson at $22M, not the $24M cap hit thanks to Pete and John swinging for the fences last year.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

I think you're mistaking a couple knuckleheads on this forum for the general consensus of Hawk fans.

My guess is if the Times or a major poll was done, the percentage of fans who appreciate and love Russell would be well into the 80-90% range.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 am
  • Seriously. No GM would ever do that.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am
  • :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Hawkfish
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:I’d like to see him play somewhere where he is appriciated.

I think you're mistaking a couple knuckleheads on this forum for the general consensus of Hawk fans.

My guess is if the Times or a major poll was done, the percentage of fans who appreciate and love Russell would be well into the 80-90% range.

Exactly. In his "infinite wisdom", Donny Osmond speaks in tongues of volume 12.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 am
  • Hawkfish wrote::stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Oddly enough, out of the 11 teams with more picks per year than Seattle, 6 of them (or the majority) have a LOWER winning percentage.

On the other end of the spectrum, 2 teams with top winning percentages (Colts / Broncos) are near the bottom in amount of picks per year.

As with all the statistical data out there, it doesn't work in a vacuum. There's so much more to what makes a team successful or not successful than any single statistic.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    As with all the statistical data out there, it doesn't work in a vacuum. There's so much more to what makes a team successful or not successful than any single statistic.

What the list tells me is that there's more than one way to win in the NFL.

You can lose for a long period of time, stockpile draft picks and then win (Rams, Titans), and you can also perennially pick at the bottom of the draft and still keep rolling (Packers, Steelers, Patriots).

The one common denominator is no matter where you pick in the draft, or how many picks you have you better have a good GM to manage it all and make the right decisions.........or else you end up like Cleveland with a bajillion picks and 16 losses.

All I know about Russell is this, he's a top 10 QB, and you don't let that go no matter the number of picks...........unless his replacement is already on the roster and ready to go.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

You can lose for a long period of time, stockpile draft picks and then win (Rams, Titans), and you can also perennially pick at the bottom of the draft and still keep rolling (Packers, Steelers, Patriots).

The one common denominator is no matter where you pick in the draft, or how many picks you have you better have a good GM to manage it all and make the right decisions.........or else you end up like Cleveland with a bajillion picks and 16 losses.

All I know about Russell is this, he's a top 10 QB, and you don't let that go no matter the number of picks...........unless his replacement is already on the roster and ready to go.

Agreed. So many teams are looking for a single player to build around. We are uniquely lucky to have multiple players that could be listed in that team building category with Wilson, Wagner and Thomas. It's really a good "problem" to have. Replacing this type of talent can take years, if you are ever able to do so properly.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Get a franchise QB. Wanna trade him. He has his short comings but goodness.

You said short... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 am
  • Last time these teams had a quality "franchise" QB comparable to or better than Russell Wilson:

Bills - 1996 (Jim Kelly)
    Browns - 1993 (Bernie Kosar)
    Vikings - 2004 (Daunte Culpepper)
    Bears - ? (If you want to count Jay Cutler, then it's only been a couple of years. If not you probably have to go back to the 60s or 40s)
    Chiefs - ? (They've had Smith, Cassel, and Green). If you don't think these dudes qualify you'd have to go back to Len Dawson
    Redskins - 1993 (Mark Rypien...unless you think Kirk Cousins qualifies)
    Cardinals - ? (Do you include the Warner period? Jake Plummer? Go all the way back to Neil Lomax?)
    Jets - 1976 (Joe Namath - You could make a case for Vinny T or a couple of the other plug-ins here but I wouldn't put them in the same group as Wilson)
    Dolphins - 1999 (Dan Marino)
    Buccaneers - Never
    Texans - Never (Watson was looking good, but it's going to take time to see if he will continue to)

If you take the Manning signing out, the Broncos have struggled at QB since Elway (1999).

If Mariotta continues to look more like this year's Mariotta than the previous two, you have to go back to McNair for the Titans.

I'm at a loss of what to do with the 49ers. Do you count Smith and/or Garcia? The Rams and Eagles might be out of the hole, but either Wentz or Goff could burn out hard in the next couple of years.

Quarterbacks are hard to come by. The price isn't just arbitrarily high.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:27 pm
  • bmorepunk wrote:Last time these teams had a quality "franchise" QB comparable to or better than Russell Wilson:

Bills - 1996 (Jim Kelly)
    Bears - ? (If you want to count Jay Cutler, then it's only been a couple of years. If not you probably have to go back to the 60s or 40s)
    Chiefs - ? (They've had Smith, Cassel, and Green). If you don't think these dudes qualify you'd have to go back to Len Dawson
    Cardinals - ? (Do you include the Warner period? Jake Plummer? Go all the way back to Neil Lomax?)
    Jets - 1976 (Joe Namath - You could make a case for Vinny T or a couple of the other plug-ins here but I wouldn't put them in the same group as Wilson)
    Buccaneers - Never
    Texans - Never (Watson was looking good, but it's going to take time to see if he will continue to)

If you take the Manning signing out, the Broncos have struggled at QB since Elway (1999).

If Mariotta continues to look more like this year's Mariotta than the previous two, you have to go back to McNair for the Titans.

I'm at a loss of what to do with the 49ers. Do you count Smith and/or Garcia? The Rams and Eagles might be out of the hole, but either Wentz or Goff could burn out hard in the next couple of years.

Cards - Jim Hart yes you include Warner, it wasn't a place holder fill in.
    Chicago - Jim McMahon
    Redskins - Joe Theisman, Doug Williams
    Chief's did have Montana for a couple years and Dave Krieg. Admittedly they were true stop gap guys though.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Stupid topic!

How can you be sure you’d find a franchise QB in the draft?

Look at Cleveland who has had X number of 1st round picks and has failed repeatedly to score a QB.

Trading Wilson is a dumb idea.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:27 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Stupid topic!

Look at Cleveland who has had X number of 1st round picks and has failed repeatedly to score a QB.

You cannot be sure of anything but this FO found Wilson right?
    Cleveland cannot draft QB's obviously but that isn't everyone else.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:02 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Stupid topic!

How is Washington at finding their QB? How about the Jets? Pretty much everyone who doesn't have a top-tier QB is in the business of wasting massive resources trying to get one. SF just gave Garoppolo a franchise-QB contract after only a few games.

When we drafted Wilson he was not going to be the starter. Flynn was the projected starter and we'd see if Wilson could overtake Jackson for the backup role. That means the same brain trust that drafted Wilson brought in Matt Flynn to be our starter. The same Matt Flynn who is now playing for nobody in a league desperate for QBs.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:

So find the QB, make sure that QB can play..............THEN this question won't be so ridiculous to some of us.

But you sure as heck don't trade away a franchise QB without his replacement already on the roster and ready to go. That's a recipe to be like half the other teams in the league, spending vital picks and resources on drafting QB's and FA busts year after year...........and even decade after decade, as we Hawk fans know VERY well.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

So find the QB, make sure that QB can play..............THEN this question won't be so ridiculous to some of us.

But you sure as heck don't trade away a franchise QB without his replacement already on the roster and ready to go. That's a recipe to be like half the other teams in the league, spending vital picks and resources on drafting QB's and FA busts year after year...........and even decade after decade, as we Hawk fans know VERY well.

If we traded him for picks ..
    Use those picks wisely on a QB/RB and whatever else we need..
    I can see no reason why Davis (if we still have him) cannot start until
    That said QB is ready.Who knows? Davis might suprise us like the
    Vikings QB did.
    I know counting on the FO to draft great is not a given by far but
    looking at the insane numbers I am seeing for a QB ..I am not
    a believer that "if everyone jumps off a bridge"....
    The thing is how are you going to do this?You wait too long
    and you get little or nothing for a QB because teams will try to force
    you into paying the max(35-40m?) to someone who may have already
    maxed out in all he can do and trends downhill from there.
    You think he is going to sandlot his way out of trouble for 4-6 more
    years?Learn to use a pocket of any kind?Be a leader?Audible?
    Be more accurate in first half?
    I would say lets wait and see what next year does but then I think
    it has been 6 years already..
    It is a tough situation and we will see how it goes.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:37 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Vikings QB did.

Yes he can, he has in the past, but not here in Seattle, Pete has to trust him, Schottys offense depends on him being able to as well. If they don't we will look abysmal again after our plays are seen a few times and the surprise is out of the picture.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:11 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Vikings QB did.

Sorry, "use picks wisely" doesn't work for me. We have one of the best GM's in the league, and our hit rate on picks is at best just over 50%. Too many misses, especially over the past 3-4 years.

I'm especially not trusting that tactic for the QB position.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:The problem is that without Wilson we are a 5 win team.

Is the 30M a year worth 4 extra wins? Especially if we are not making the playoffs?

More importantly, with what Cousins is going to do to the QB market - what would it even cost to get a reasonable but more limited QB? You might not be saving as much as you think if you traded Wilson. Because whatever you bring in to replace him is going to cost you and this is the FO that likes to give guys like Lacey 8M and Joekel 9M.

I don't for a minute believe that Wilson is worth $30M a year. But if a crappier QB costs you 15M a year...

What 5 games do you think we actually win without Russ this year lol?
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm
  • randomation wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:The problem is that without Wilson we are a 5 win team.

What 5 games do you think we actually win without Russ this year lol?

Assuming we had a mediocre QB, we would PROBABLY have lost:

Texans (don't see a backup/meh QB putting up 480 total yards)
    @ Cards (Wilson special to Doug was huge in that game)
    @ Rams (barely won that one as is)
    Eagles (Wilson was FIRE that game even if he didn't put up a ton of yards)
    Niners (the TD throw was another Wilson special)

So I think we could have won the Colts, Giants, @ Niners, and Dallas games without Russ. Shoot, even the Giants game was fantastic from Russ so who knows about that?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:You cannot be sure of anything but this FO found Wilson right?

Vikings QB did.

Sorry, "use picks wisely" doesn't work for me. We have one of the best GM's in the league, and our hit rate on picks is at best just over 50%. Too many misses, especially over the past 3-4 years.

I'm especially not trusting that tactic for the QB position.

I understand..
    I'm not so sure though JS is one of the best now when you look at the FA pickups
    and the trades.
    The paying everyone seems to have hammered the cap space and I might not be on
    one side of the fence had things been done better.
    The damage has been done so getting picks/undrafted FA's and finding gems has to
    be priority as it might be the only choice we have.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Where would that be....I see almost every fanbase UNDERestimate and UNDERrate Wilson

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm
  • bmorepunk wrote:Last time these teams had a quality "franchise" QB comparable to or better than Russell Wilson:

Bills - 1996 (Jim Kelly)
    Buccaneers - Never

As far are the Vikings go....

Culpepper had an MVP type year with 39TD/11INT and 4717 yards in 2004 and that was without a healthy Randy Moss for the middle of the season. If Moss would of been healthy the whole year that offense was special. Moss had 8TD in the first 5 games of the year and finished with 13.

Then ownership changed and they shipped Moss off and drafted a WR who knew only how to run a fast go route with hands of stone in Troy Williamson. Culpepper then injured his ACL, PCL and MCL early in 2005 and was never the same again.

What is total BS about that is if that happens a year earlier they probably draft Aaron Rodgers instead of him falling way down past TWO of the Vikings first round picks both of which were awful.

After that they went with journeyman QBs for the most part like Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, even got a 40+ year old Favre for two years while Adrian Peterson carried the offense mostly. They finally drafted a 1st round QB in Christian Ponder but clearly it was a reach and he never developed. Went with journeyman AGAIN in Matt Cassel. Tried to draft another 1st round QB in Bridgewater and he was developing nicely until he blew out his knee with a noncontact injury at the age of freaking 22. Then go back to the journeyman type in Sam Bradford/Case Keenum last 2 years.

Bridgewater is still only 25 so if everything is allright I think they should keep him for a reasonable deal and see what he has. I could also see them drafting maybe...Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield this year if either drop.

Vikings right now are where they were at in 2009 and arguably the last 2 years. They are only an above average QB away from making it to the NFCCG and maybe Superbowl. Crazy to think what would of happened if say the Vikings had drafted Wilson instead of CB Josh Robinson who was an absolute dud of a CB. It was almost the same exact progression with having a STUD RB in place with AP and having an up and coming defense with Zimmer if he was still hired

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Vikings QB did.

Oh yeah! The old "use picks wisely" draft strategy! Because the draft is so exact if you use this strategy. It's easy to pick up your future all pro RB and all pro QB. Teams do it all the time. It's obviously the reason that teams that don't have a franchise caliber QB have not employed this draft strategy. They must go into the draft with the mentality of picking as many busts as they can so that they can continue to draft near the top of round 1. For every franchise QB drafted I can give you dozens of names of guys who were supposed to be IT but were complete duds.

Please do yourself a favor and stop believing that the next franchise QB is a single draft pick away and just sit back and enjoy the fact that we have one capable of willing his team to a win in almost any game in one Russell Wilson. He is the first and only bona fide franchise QB this team and fan base has ever had the priveledge of watching work his magic.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 am
  • WilsonMVP wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:Last time these teams had a quality "franchise" QB comparable to or better than Russell Wilson:

Bills - 1996 (Jim Kelly)
    Buccaneers - Never

As far are the Vikings go....

Culpepper had an MVP type year with 39TD/11INT and 4717 yards in 2004 and that was without a healthy Randy Moss for the middle of the season. If Moss would of been healthy the whole year that offense was special. Moss had 8TD in the first 5 games of the year and finished with 13.

Then ownership changed and they shipped Moss off and drafted a WR who knew only how to run a fast go route with hands of stone in Troy Williamson. Culpepper then injured his ACL, PCL and MCL early in 2005 and was never the same again.

What is total BS about that is if that happens a year earlier they probably draft Aaron Rodgers instead of him falling way down past TWO of the Vikings first round picks both of which were awful.

After that they went with journeyman QBs for the most part like Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, even got a 40+ year old Favre for two years while Adrian Peterson carried the offense mostly. They finally drafted a 1st round QB in Christian Ponder but clearly it was a reach and he never developed. Went with journeyman AGAIN in Matt Cassel. Tried to draft another 1st round QB in Bridgewater and he was developing nicely until he blew out his knee with a noncontact injury at the age of freaking 22. Then go back to the journeyman type in Sam Bradford/Case Keenum last 2 years.

Bridgewater is still only 25 so if everything is allright I think they should keep him for a reasonable deal and see what he has. I could also see them drafting maybe...Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield this year if either drop.

Vikings right now are where they were at in 2009 and arguably the last 2 years. They are only an above average QB away from making it to the NFCCG and maybe Superbowl. Crazy to think what would of happened if say the Vikings had drafted Wilson instead of CB Josh Robinson who was an absolute dud of a CB. It was almost the same exact progression with having a STUD RB in place with AP and having an up and coming defense with Zimmer if he was still hired

They made it to the NFCCG this past season.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

How does Wilson’s passer rating look if he throws the ball away the hundreds of times he should have instead of taking the sack or running out of bounce? Basic stats don’t tell the whole story. A tier one qb can throw to the middle of the field out of the pocket. Wilson needs a special game plan to work around his shortcomings.

LOL, what would Wilson's passer rating look like if he had an average offensive line?

Wilson has had to scramble for his life and throw a ton of passes away due to the continual breakdowns in his protection.

He is a tier 1 QB; that is without a doubt. 2nd all-time in QB rating, four-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champion, eight playoff victories, 3rd most 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs in NFL history, shattered the NFL record for most TD passes in the 4th quarter, led the league in TDs and 2nd in total yards in 2017 (without an adequate offensive line, running game, or play caller).

Another question is how will Russ look with a competent OL coach and competent OC, that gameplan better and are better playcallers. My guess is he will look quite a bit better without the 2 anchors of former offensive coaches holding him down.

Hawks have been a one demensional offense since the season of XLIX, with hardly any running game outside a flash from Rawls before he got hurt.

I actually think Bevell did good job designing game plans to cover for Wilson’s weaknesses. I’m afraid if the new OC tries to run a more traditional offense we could see a big step back next season. The Hawks have been one dimensional because of the talent level on offense.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:08 pm
  • Why would anyone even consider such a thing. Now if we were talking the long line of mediocre QB's this team has had suffer through to finally land a Russell Wilson, I'd click on Absolutely, trade every single QB we have ever had from day one except Russell.

I don't know if anyone else is paying attention, but this kid is the heart and soul of the present day Seahawk's. Is he perfect? no! does he make the right decision every play? No!. He is human, but he is a nearly perfect athlete, that is infectious on the field and in the locker room. His teammates respect him and are willing to sacrifice for him, because it's obvious he is wiling to sacrifice himself for them.

There have been games where it's been painfully obvious that Russ is having a bad hair day and things are not going his way. He is incredibly hard on himself, harder than his worst critics for that matter. If there was one thing I could change about him, is that when he is having one of those days, he'd just loosen up and trust in himself a little bit more. He is so worried about letting all of us down and his teammates down that he nearly becomes crippled by it all, and "polls" like these don't do a whole lot to help lift his spirits or signal to him that the 12 "have his back", when his sugar turns to chit, as it sometimes will.

When Russell is in his space, he is unstoppable, and everyone on his team knows it. He won't quit until there is not one second left on the game clock to turn it around. Russell Wilson has much unfinished business in his NFL career, and with the Seahawk's, he has a few more Super Bowl Titles to put under his belt before he's through.

I'd hate to think that in our ignorance and intolerance, that he would go on to accomplish that, with some other team. Fortunately the head office, the general manager and head coach aren't, entirely blinded and guided in their decision making by disgruntled fans, intent on trying to throw players off or more accurately under the bus. Albeit I'm sure in many instances believing they are right to do so, and with motives that are sincerely directed at what they believe is best for the team.

I'm much more concerned about the motives of the instigators of these player vigilante polls, than I am the members who vote on them, who I think, no matter which way they vote are doing so with some forethought , and often times not realizing that they are being played and used by others who have a much more sinister agenda.

Every time I see one of these "vigilante" "polls" pop up, I interpret it as a tool being deployed, to plant seeds of thought in peoples mind and gather support for the eventual career beheading that they have in mind for the player down the road a piece. As in the previous cases of Michael Bennett, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Cliff Avril, Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, and the list goes on. I will say that the tenacity of some of these folks does impress me, it seems that they won't rest until they succeed in sabotaging someones career, all in the name of bettering the team for the future

The sad part, in my experience, is that all the seed planting achieved by these polls, do seem to produce their desired effects and outcomes. Perhaps the next time you find yourself wondering what happened to all the spirit, determination, and swagger that has defined the Seahawk's for the past 5 or 6 years, you could all look back to our own forum post, for those answers.

A player can only withstand so much of a beating by the media, when they are struggling, and then they come here to their team forum, looking to their fans for a little ego and confidence boost, only to read a post or one of these "just asking pretend polls" where their 12's are turning on them, and voicing that they have lost confidence in them, it's bound to drag them down further than they are already. Hell they are only human, and I'll guarantee they aren't making excuse for themselves, they are ten times harder on themselves that we will ever collectively be.

On the opposite end of that thought process is that a little bit of support goes a long ways, but equally so a little bit of criticism and negatively goes a whole lot further in driving their spirit and self confidence into the dirt. An athlete who has lost self confidence and his or her spirit to keep fighting is done, it's only a matter of time, and I'd hate like hell to think that I in anyway contributed to them arriving at that place in their life.

It seems to me that sometimes we stand around in a circle and kick the crap out of our players when they are down, and then complain all the more while they struggle to pull themselves back up and regain our confidence in them and our support for the roll they play on our teams and in our lives. I vote we get behind our players, whoever they may be and offer them the only thing we really have as fans to offer, that is of any real value and that is our support and confidence in them for so long as they are with us.

Maybe create a poll to see how many of our members still believe that Russell Wilson is the greatest QB the Seahawks have had in franchise history and may likely be in my life time as a fan of the Seahawks. How many of us believe that given the right people behind him, that Russell still has the magic and promise of bringing multiple Super Bowl titles back to the Emerald City before his career is completed?

If my guess is right, there would be a great many of us who still believe in this kids spirit and capabilities, and that his seeing that from his fans, would go along ways toward helping him to regain and rekindle some of his lost confidence and swagger, that was beaten out of him the past couple of years, while trying to give the 12 and himself what he knows he is capable of and what he dreams of accomplishing in his lifetime as well.

He fought almost single handedly, against nearly all odds to try and deliver winning scores to us in every game he played, and never gave up until the last second on the clock of the last game ending the season. How in Gods name we could even consider turning our backs on him now, is simply incomprehensible to me.

I don't know how many of you in this forum have ever competed in a sport like football, but if you have, you will acknowledge what I'm saying is true. If you feel like your fans are behind you, you will literally die for them, trying to earn and maintain that support from them. Equally so, if you feel like they have given up on you, it's that much easier to give up on yourself.

I'm human, I know there are times when we all need to accept that a player is done or just can't give the team what they need, and decisions have to be made and are made. I still shudder to think that we would keep Walsh as a kicker, but can you imagine what it must have been like for him last year reading through this forum. Christ every time he took the field to kick a critical game changing score, I can only imagine all the crap that was whirling around inside that head of his. It's amazing he didn't miss kicking the ball all together, much less put it between the uprights. Hell I kept expecting him to somehow kick the ball the opposite way eventually.

In summary I guess I'd just like to see a lot more positive accolades and supportive type threads popping up in the forum instead of the constant grind, of which player do we drag kicking and screaming to the guillotine next. If you want to kick a Seahawk player, wait until he gone, then kick away if it makes you feel better. But while he's playing for us, get behind him and offer him all the encouragement and support you can muster. That is the stuff that championship teams are made of.

Hey Russell, "I got your back" for as long as you are with us, and we all know that you "got our backs" as well. I for one never doubt, that you are giving us and your teammates any less than 110 percent of yourself, every time you take the field. I wish you a long and success filled career as the QB for the Seattle Seahawk's.

I've not posted in a while, but everyone who knows me, knows when I do, I'm pretty long winded. That hasn't changed much LOL.

Go Seahawks !
    The 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. Change is Inevitable. Seahawk 12th Man for Life.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 pm
  • I agree^.... I think..

Holy Shi Tzu on speed and off the leash!
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Yep, you and Kid on spot on here.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 pm
  • pacific101 wrote:Why would anyone even consider such a thing. Now if we were talking the long line of mediocre QB's this team has had suffer through to finally land a Russell Wilson, I'd click on Absolutely, trade every single QB we have ever had from day one except Russell.

I don't know if anyone else is paying attention, but this kid is the heart and soul of the present day Seahawk's. Is he perfect? no! does he make the right decision every play? No!. He is human, but he is a nearly perfect athlete, that is infectious on the field and in the locker room. His teammates respect him and are willing to sacrifice for him, because it's obvious he is wiling to sacrifice himself for them.

There have been games where it's been painfully obvious that Russ is having a bad hair day and things are not going his way. He is incredibly hard on himself, harder than his worst critics for that matter. If there was one thing I could change about him, is that when he is having one of those days, he'd just loosen up and trust in himself a little bit more. He is so worried about letting all of us down and his teammates down that he nearly becomes crippled by it all, and "polls" like these don't do a whole lot to help lift his spirits or signal to him that the 12 "have his back", when his sugar turns to chit, as it sometimes will.

When Russell is in his space, he is unstoppable, and everyone on his team knows it. He won't quit until there is not one second left on the game clock to turn it around. Russell Wilson has much unfinished business in his NFL career, and with the Seahawk's, he has a few more Super Bowl Titles to put under his belt before he's through.

I'd hate to think that in our ignorance and intolerance, that he would go on to accomplish that, with some other team. Fortunately the head office, the general manager and head coach aren't, entirely blinded and guided in their decision making by disgruntled fans, intent on trying to throw players off or more accurately under the bus. Albeit I'm sure in many instances believing they are right to do so, and with motives that are sincerely directed at what they believe is best for the team.

I'm much more concerned about the motives of the instigators of these player vigilante polls, than I am the members who vote on them, who I think, no matter which way they vote are doing so with some forethought , and often times not realizing that they are being played and used by others who have a much more sinister agenda.

Every time I see one of these "vigilante" "polls" pop up, I interpret it as a tool being deployed, to plant seeds of thought in peoples mind and gather support for the eventual career beheading that they have in mind for the player down the road a piece. As in the previous cases of Michael Bennett, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Cliff Avril, Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, and the list goes on. I will say that the tenacity of some of these folks does impress me, it seems that they won't rest until they succeed in sabotaging someones career, all in the name of bettering the team for the future

The sad part, in my experience, is that all the seed planting achieved by these polls, do seem to produce their desired effects and outcomes. Perhaps the next time you find yourself wondering what happened to all the spirit, determination, and swagger that has defined the Seahawk's for the past 5 or 6 years, you could all look back to our own forum post, for those answers.

A player can only withstand so much of a beating by the media, when they are struggling, and then they come here to their team forum, looking to their fans for a little ego and confidence boost, only to read a post or one of these "just asking pretend polls" where their 12's are turning on them, and voicing that they have lost confidence in them, it's bound to drag them down further than they are already. Hell they are only human, and I'll guarantee they aren't making excuse for themselves, they are ten times harder on themselves that we will ever collectively be.

On the opposite end of that thought process is that a little bit of support goes a long ways, but equally so a little bit of criticism and negatively goes a whole lot further in driving their spirit and self confidence into the dirt. An athlete who has lost self confidence and his or her spirit to keep fighting is done, it's only a matter of time, and I'd hate like hell to think that I in anyway contributed to them arriving at that place in their life.

It seems to me that sometimes we stand around in a circle and kick the crap out of our players when they are down, and then complain all the more while they struggle to pull themselves back up and regain our confidence in them and our support for the roll they play on our teams and in our lives. I vote we get behind our players, whoever they may be and offer them the only thing we really have as fans to offer, that is of any real value and that is our support and confidence in them for so long as they are with us.

Maybe create a poll to see how many of our members still believe that Russell Wilson is the greatest QB the Seahawks have had in franchise history and may likely be in my life time as a fan of the Seahawks. How many of us believe that given the right people behind him, that Russell still has the magic and promise of bringing multiple Super Bowl titles back to the Emerald City before his career is completed?

If my guess is right, there would be a great many of us who still believe in this kids spirit and capabilities, and that his seeing that from his fans, would go along ways toward helping him to regain and rekindle some of his lost confidence and swagger, that was beaten out of him the past couple of years, while trying to give the 12 and himself what he knows he is capable of and what he dreams of accomplishing in his lifetime as well.

He fought almost single handedly, against nearly all odds to try and deliver winning scores to us in every game he played, and never gave up until the last second on the clock of the last game ending the season. How in Gods name we could even consider turning our backs on him now, is simply incomprehensible to me.

I don't know how many of you in this forum have ever competed in a sport like football, but if you have, you will acknowledge what I'm saying is true. If you feel like your fans are behind you, you will literally die for them, trying to earn and maintain that support from them. Equally so, if you feel like they have given up on you, it's that much easier to give up on yourself.

I'm human, I know there are times when we all need to accept that a player is done or just can't give the team what they need, and decisions have to be made and are made. I still shudder to think that we would keep Walsh as a kicker, but can you imagine what it must have been like for him last year reading through this forum. Christ every time he took the field to kick a critical game changing score, I can only imagine all the crap that was whirling around inside that head of his. It's amazing he didn't miss kicking the ball all together, much less put it between the uprights. Hell I kept expecting him to somehow kick the ball the opposite way eventually.

In summary I guess I'd just like to see a lot more positive accolades and supportive type threads popping up in the forum instead of the constant grind, of which player do we drag kicking and screaming to the guillotine next. If you want to kick a Seahawk player, wait until he gone, then kick away if it makes you feel better. But while he's playing for us, get behind him and offer him all the encouragement and support you can muster. That is the stuff that championship teams are made of.

Hey Russell, "I got your back" for as long as you are with us, and we all know that you "got our backs" as well. I for one never doubt, that you are giving us and your teammates any less than 110 percent of yourself, every time you take the field. I wish you a long and success filled career as the QB for the Seattle Seahawk's.

I've not posted in a while, but everyone who knows me, knows when I do, I'm pretty long winded. That hasn't changed much LOL.

Go Seahawks !

Holy wall of text Batman!

....but I agree with most of what you said here. Great points!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:29 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    pacific101 wrote:Why would anyone even consider such a thing. Now if we were talking the long line of mediocre QB's this team has had suffer through to finally land a Russell Wilson, I'd click on Absolutely, trade every single QB we have ever had from day one except Russell.

Go Seahawks !

Holy wall of text Batman!

....but I agree with most of what you said here. Great points!

You talking of the two threads which are seeking members opinions.
    We all have opinions but they are not always alike.
    To say RW is being attacked in here is not really the case.
    He makes 23 million ..Don't think he reads what is posted in here.
    I'd have no problem telling him my opinion..I wish I could.
    His play the last two seasons does not earn him 35-40 million
    in my humble opinion and I don't see him getting better going
    forward.I want the high value now not lower later for nothing.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:49 am
  • They could get saqoun barkley and some other high draft pick if they traded wilson to the browns. Then sign Kirk in free agency.

Just saying......
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 pm
  • RussB wrote:They could get saqoun barkley and some other high draft pick if they traded wilson to the browns. Then sign Kirk in free agency.

Just saying......

Because Wilson's magic scramble-plays didn't play a role in our Super Bowl run at all, and Cousins can easily duplicate all that anyway. /s
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:16 pm
  • RussB wrote:They could get saqoun barkley and some other high draft pick if they traded wilson to the browns. Then sign Kirk in free agency.

Just saying......

The RB part sounds good..
    Cousins?No way...
    I'd take a bunch of cheaper options over KC
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RussB wrote:They could get saqoun barkley and some other high draft pick if they traded wilson to the browns. Then sign Kirk in free agency.

Just saying......

Because Wilson's magic scramble-plays didn't play a role in our Super Bowl run at all, and Cousins can easily duplicate all that anyway. /s

THIS. Also, why would we pay Kirk close to $10M more per year than Wilson is making right now?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm
  • My god why is this even a thread?

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 am
  • Aros wrote:My god why is this even a thread?

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

cause............offseason.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RussB wrote:They could get saqoun barkley and some other high draft pick if they traded wilson to the browns. Then sign Kirk in free agency.

Just saying......

They wouldnt need wilsons magic as much if they had a nice run game. Kirk cousins is no scrub either, let him play with a good defense like the seahawks he could hold the QB spot down pretty well. He can also see over linemen.

Nothing against Wilson hes awesome and im a big fan, im just saying there are options out there to trade him without much dropoff. And a chance to improve other areas. The NFL is a business after all.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 am
  • Just checking in here.
    Is Russell still with us or did you guys trade him for 2 owl feathers and a bag of chips?

Or....looks like you all shipped him off to NY??

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfga6BHnNiy/
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 am
  • Well, clearly they can get to the Super Bowl with just about any QB so........ :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information