Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sheldon Richardson one of the "riskiest" free agents

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Sheldon Richardson doesn’t have the most sterling off-field record over the course of his NFL career and has been suspended for five total games stemming from two separate incidents. Anyone looking to sink guaranteed money into the talented defensive tackle will have to weigh that against his on-field performance to come up with a number. There is no doubt the talent is there though, when it wants to be. Richardson was PFF’s third-highest graded interior defender in 2014 (89.8), but he hasn’t been able to recapture that form since. The good news is that he came closest this past season in Seattle with an 83.8 overall grade and even that level of play is an upgrade for almost every team in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ree-agents
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Never thought he needed Seattle more than Seattle needed him. It will be interesting to see if he hits the open market what he can command.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Was expecting a little more Aaron Donald out of him. Don't care if he stays or goes. Certainly wouldn't pay him 10+ million
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• Keep him if the price is right.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• A lot of "experts" are saying he's the type of guy to mail it in after he gets a big contract.

Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Wilkerson with a prove it deal.
    Jets will cut Muhammad Wilkerson, just a matter of when

Jets defensive lineman has made $37 million the last two seasons, but the Jets made him a healthy scratch the last two games of the season just to keep him from getting hurt.

Because it appears obvious that he’s going to be released, with the only question when.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, the cut will come before March 16, or his $16.75 million salary will be guaranteed for the year. And after a season marked by benchings for tardiness and general non-leadership, it’s clear they’re tired of having him around.

If they eat the dead money up front, they’ll clear $11 million in cap space. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, they can push it to $17 million in immediate space.

The Jets already have $75 million worth of cap room, as they prepare for another quarterback search and a potential run at Kirk Cousins, but it seems getting rid of Wilkerson is worth it to them regardless of fiscal benefit. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-of-when/

Last edited by massari on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Unless he’s franchised, he’s gone. It would be unlikely he won’t want the top price his agent can attract, the team won’t be able to get into a bidding situation b/c of their cap situation.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd expect a last place team with cap room to reach on him. But yeah, don't be surprised if he pulls an Albert Haynesworth and just checks out after that.

I wouldn't mind tagging him to give our other linemen another year to develop.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:A lot of "experts" are saying he's the type of guy to mail it in after he gets a big contract

I think Richardson is a player that needs to be motivated by his coaches and teammates.

Which is why IMO he played REALLY well for the first 4-5 weeks here because he was proving himself to his new team, coaches and guys on the defense...............then as the season wore on, he wore out and didn't care as much as we were fading from serious SB contention.

So yes any team that gives him a big contract is taking a risk with his motor and motivation.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• If this team goes out and spends $12-15M per year to sign Sheldon, I will officially be on the run Pete and John out of town train. Decent player for around $8M and nothing more than that.

Our annual SB run is over. We need to focus on getting back on top of the division. That starts with young players and means you may need to live with a few holes for 1 year or 2.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Franchise players can be traded, so there's a chance that they are thinking they could trade him, by not matching another offer, and get more now than the 2019 comp pick if he signs a big deal as a free agent.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• What if he signs a one year deal somewhere else and then a long term deal after that? We'd be screwed and get no comp pick after trading a second for him. Basically what happened with Okung. Denver got him for a year, didn't exercise his option, and got a third rounder when the Chargers signed him for big money.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:What if he signs a one year deal somewhere else and then a long term deal after that? We'd be screwed and get no comp pick after trading a second for him. Basically what happened with Okung. Denver got him for a year, didn't exercise his option, and got a third rounder when the Chargers signed him for big money.

It's possible, but it's widely agreed upon that Okung acting as his own agent making that terrible Denver deal was really bad for him.

Usually one year deals are prove it deals for players coming off an injury or a really down year. That's not the case for Richardson, so I don't see him doing that, someone will give him a decent 2-3 or even 3-4 year deal.

I'd like to keep him, he's still a top 10-15 interior lineman. But not for more than 10M per year average.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• adeltaY wrote:What if he signs a one year deal somewhere else and then a long term deal after that? We'd be screwed and get no comp pick after trading a second for him. Basically what happened with Okung. Denver got him for a year, didn't exercise his option, and got a third rounder when the Chargers signed him for big money.

Seahawks got two 3rd round comp picks last draft. One from Irvin and one from Okung. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... gn=RSS_all
    massari
    NET Veteran

• No. Watching his run defense down the stretch was heinous and pathetic. I have no interest in paying that much money for a player that will be backing up Naz.

He's supposed to be a pass rusher and isn't and on top of that, you're wanting to pay a 3rd stringer top tier money. There's no "legitimate" scenario where he should start with a healthy Reed and Naz.

This is beyond stupid. Let him go and get the comp.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson at that price would be nice.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Lotuleilei and Poe should also be available. If you're going to spend there then at least do spend on a player more consistent. We'd lose no pass rush by getting either over Richardson and get infinitely better run defense.

Richardson has 2.5 sacks over the last two years combined. This is not a player you worry about keeping for even average money.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• "A lot of "experts" are saying he's the type of guy to mail it in after he gets a big contract."

He would fit right in then.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

• TreeRon wrote:"A lot of "experts" are saying he's the type of guy to mail it in after he gets a big contract."

He would fit right in then.

He mailed it in on a contract year with us at times, so ya I'd say a good chance of that.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• His gap control, especially in the week 17 game against Arizona, was an issue. Arians continually called the same run play at Richardson, and we couldn't stop it until he got benched.

I don't want him back next season. He provided nothing to this team.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jesus stories like these and fans that buy into them, every off season the mediots have teams they want to smear and attack, creating dissention and rumors, last year they were all over Richard Sherman and he was not coming back etc. Richardson is important, he makes everyone around him better, for gods sake he is a NT and is suppose to occupy space and blockers to free up others. The rest of the line gets tackles and pressures because of him doing this.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'm pretty sure he's better than any interior pass rusher on our roster. He had a fair few pressures. I also think it was a down year for him. Would any team really pay 10M+ APY for a guy with 2.5 sacks over the past two years like vin mentioned?

I doubt it, but it is also possible we didn't use him correctly and he goes elsewhere and plays really well. He did have 8 and 6.5 sack seasons before, so the talent is definitely there.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• “Like the Rams with Sammy Watkins, the Seahawks could use the franchise tag to help justify a previous trade,” writes Gregg Rosenthal, Around The NFL Editor. “Seattle gave up a second-round pick and receiver Jermaine Kearse to get 654 solid, if unspectacular, snaps out of Richardson. It’s been three full seasons since Richardson has played his best, but coach Pete Carroll is already on the record about trying to keep him.

“The tag is the easiest way to accomplish that.”
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Naz and Reed. Jefferson. I'd have no problem with letting Richardson walk.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• If the seahawks front office have learned anything, they should stay far away from a long term deal. Franchise or transition tag only please.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:If this team goes out and spends $12-15M per year to sign Sheldon, I will officially be on the run Pete and John out of town train. Decent player for around $8M and nothing more than that.

Our annual SB run is over. We need to focus on getting back on top of the division. That starts with young players and means you may need to live with a few holes for 1 year or 2.

Sheldon will be 27 when the season starts. We are lacking high level players under 27 on defense. We have Clark and Richardson.

Griffin, McDougal & Reed show flashes.

I hope they keep Sheldon on a one year deal, when he's motivated he's a great player. He was huge in that Rams game in LA and then against Atlanta when we needed the ball back on 3rd down down one score, he simply pushed their guard out of the way to sack Matt Ryan.

https://youtu.be/zukmRxdvOyg?t=4m1s

[(Skip to 4 min)
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Dontari Poe and Bennie Logan went for 1 year $8M deals last year and Johnathan Hankins signed a 3 year $27M ($10M guaranteed). That seems to be Richardson's market value.

If it's more, then let him walk, collect the comp pick and go after Muhammad Wilkerson (if need be) once he's released.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Sheldon was heavily responsible for four wins last season. Crucial turnovers in the away-Rams/Eagles/away-Cards games, a sack to help end Houston's penultimate drive. We're not going to get better by letting him walk, and I doubt we make any big FA splashes this year of all years.

Brady Henderson brought up an interesting point that Sheldon was adjusting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and that it may help explain some of why he fell short of expectations.

I'm one of the "bring him back on a 1-year deal" camp here.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Would love to have him back, but if he’s looking for a huge payday (which I’m sure he is) it’s not worth it in my opinion
    xStickybudz
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917204/article/sheldon-richardson-likely-wont-get-seahawks-tag

Kinda what everyone figured, 14M is way too much of a one year cap hit (and too much for how well he played).

If we do offer Sheldon a contract, it'll be more in a team friendly 2-3 year range so the cap hit isn't so much the first couple years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• vin.couve12 wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917204/article/sheldon-richardson-likely-wont-get-seahawks-tag

With the tag automatically eating $11 - $14 million, I would be disappointed if we went this route in our current cap situation

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I don’t believe for a second tagging him was even ever a consideration.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information