Seahawks Face Tough Strength of Schedule in 2018

original poster

Reaction score
Strength of schedule is always a bit of a funny one. Teams that performed well in 2017 may not necessarily perform at the same level next season however it's a pretty good indicator as teams rarely make either huge improvements or regressions season to season. Obviously there are exceptions, but you know...

Here is the 2018 Strength of schedule from toughest to easiest -

#1 Green Bay Packers .539
Tied#2 Detroit Lions .535
Tied #2 New Orleans Saints .535
#4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers .531
T#5 Los Angeles Rams .523
T#5 Cleveland Browns .523
T#5 Seattle Seahawks .523
T#8 Arizona Cardinals .520
T#8 Chicago Bears .520
T#8 Minnesota Vikings .520
T#8 New York Giants .520
#12 Carolina Panthers .512
#13 Atlanta Falcons .509
#14 Washington Redskins .504
T#15 Dallas Cowboys .500
T#15 Miami Dolphins .500
#18 Buffalo Bills .496
T#19 Philadelphia Eagles .492
T#19 Kansas City Chiefs .492
#21 Baltimore Ravens .488
T#22 New England Patriots .484
T#22 Indianapolis Colts .484
#24 Los Angeles Chargers .480
T#25 New York Jets .477
T#25 Pittsburgh Steelers .477
T#25 Jacksonville Jaguars .477
T#25 Denver Broncos .477
T#29 Oakland Raiders .473
T#29 Cincinatti Bengals .473
#31 Tennessee Titans .465
#32 Houston Texans .453

If the discussion naturally progresses into discussing other teams I will move it to NFL Nation, however if talk predominantly stays with Seattle, I will keep it in the main forum.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah it would be interesting to remove in division and see how it looks, I don't have the time to work it out, though!

sutz

Reaction score
Also not in the ratings is the key issue of when and where the games are played. Obviously, games in Nov/Dec could be affected majorly by injuries and weather conditions, etc.

Interesting fodder for message boards, though. :)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2zipiyk3 said:

Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lxhgfyxf said:
Ad Hawk":lxhgfyxf said:

Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.

This is very true. I'd love to see some statistics comparing preseason strength of schedule vs reality after the seasons have finished over the years to see how it actually pans out. I would think it probably isn't all that similar.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":k7sfwf7f said:
Sgt. Largent":k7sfwf7f said:
Ad Hawk":k7sfwf7f said:

This is very true. I'd love to see some statistics comparing preseason strength of schedule vs reality after the seasons have finished over the years to see how it actually pans out. I would think it probably isn't all that similar.

Just look at ESPN's amazing prognosticators last August before the season started.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

Jags 4-12
Vikings and Saints 8-8
Rams 7-9
Eagles 9-7
Giants, Broncos and Raiders 10-6
Hawks, Cards and Bucs at 11-5
Jets 3-13
Bills 5-11

I mean, it's 80% wrong every year by most so called experts.................and that's in August, not now. It's futile.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l6gmkir said:
kidhawk":3l6gmkir said:
Sgt. Largent":3l6gmkir said:
Ad Hawk":3l6gmkir said:

Just look at ESPN's amazing prognosticators last August before the season started.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

Jags 4-12
Vikings and Saints 8-8
Rams 7-9
Eagles 9-7
Giants, Broncos and Raiders 10-6
Hawks, Cards and Bucs at 11-5
Jets 3-13
Bills 5-11

I mean, it's 80% wrong every year by most so called experts.................and that's in August, not now. It's futile.

No doubt that the guys guessing records are also way off, I just meant that it would be interesting to see a side by side comparable of Strength of schedule with one side being based on the previous season records and the other side being the actual season records going back a few years for comparison. It wouldn't be difficult to do, just time consuming and I just don't have the time to put in the work.

Either way though, basing strength of schedule on all teams previous season records is pretty futile. Too much changes over the off season.

lobohawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":6h3v5l7h said:
I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).

The Pats always have a chump schedule, as the AFC East teams are never really relevant. Course no one ever brings it up when they exclaim how amazing it is they make the playoffs and AFC championship seemingly every year. Not hard to do, when you have no division competition.

lobohawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3aup2opb said:
lobohawk":3aup2opb said:
GeekHawk":3aup2opb said:

The Pats always have a chump schedule, as the AFC East teams are never really relevant. Course no one ever brings it up when they exclaim how amazing it is they make the playoffs and AFC championship seemingly every year. Not hard to do, when you have no division competition.

Pretty much every one outside of NE talks about it, all the time. It is known.

Yeah, I guess I can see it in the other fans. Maybe I forget that in the glow of all the media adulation.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":s6kdglwi said:
Out of the first 15 teams, 14 of them are in the NFC...

The NFC would have won the last 10 sb's if not for the Pats. Denver? ok. once.

sutz

Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/12/31 ... onents-set

SEATTLE — While the 2018 NFL schedule won’t be released until sometime this spring, the conclusion of the 2017 regular season does mean we now know who the Seahawks will play next year.

In addition to their usual six games against the NFC West, the Seahawks will face the NFC North and AFC West in 2018, with home games against the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Chargers, and Kansas City Chiefs and road games against the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, and Oakland Raiders.

With the Seahawks finishing second in the NFC West, their other two games are against the NFC East second-place finisher and the second-place finisher in the NFC South. The Seahawks will host Dallas, which finished second in the East, and will play at Carolina, which finished second in the NFC South behind the New Orleans Saints.

Seattle’s 2018 schedule includes five games against 2017 playoff teams, including two against the Rams, and one each against the Chiefs, Vikings, and Panthers. Read

Seattle Seahawks 2018 Opponents
Home: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas Cowboys.

Away: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers.
So, to throw in some Seahawks content, one note is that we play 5 games against '17 playoff teams (highlighted above). 3 of them are at home, which may help. Hopefully, we can stop losing home games this season, but the hard fact is that the Hawks didn't play well in those 4 home losses. When you play poorly, it's hard to win anywhere.

There are 3 potential early games. We skated in '17 on 10am games, can't count on that this year since we dropped out of the playoff bracket. It's one way that the Lambs move helped us, one less guaranteed early game per year. IIRC, Denver doesn't happen at 10am, right?

All in all, I see it as a pretty typical Seahawks schedule.

RCATES

Reaction score
7-9 book it. Time to rebuild and stop wasting draft capital to bring players in as if Hawks window is still open. As much good as Pete and John have done they have severely handicapped this team the next few years with bad trades and dumb contracts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not booking crap, this team isn't going 7-9. 9-7 or 10-6. Maybe go pull for another team if this one is somehow now the Cleveland Browns in your eyes. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a real strength of schedule yet, so many changes still to be made, our team and others will not look the same come July, the Rams and 49ers alone have and will be improved to skew those real rankings, how many coaches have left teams and are now new HC's etc.

We don't know if were going to be a force on offense or defense next year alone with the amount of change that has happened, we could be go 4 and 12 in a rebuild season at this point, or our staff as it sits and a few roster moves and the unknown improvement of our Redshirt guys could vault us to 13 and 3 somehow. Till we see the recipe and at least the first course serving in pre season which is going to be vanilla anyway we won't have a good idea if the new mix of players and coaches mesh together.