Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks Face Tough Strength of Schedule in 2018

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Strength of schedule is always a bit of a funny one. Teams that performed well in 2017 may not necessarily perform at the same level next season however it's a pretty good indicator as teams rarely make either huge improvements or regressions season to season. Obviously there are exceptions, but you know...

    Here is the 2018 Strength of schedule from toughest to easiest -



    #1 Green Bay Packers .539
    Tied#2 Detroit Lions .535
    Tied #2 New Orleans Saints .535
    #4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers .531
    T#5 Los Angeles Rams .523
    T#5 Cleveland Browns .523
    T#5 Seattle Seahawks .523
    T#8 Arizona Cardinals .520
    T#8 Chicago Bears .520
    T#8 Minnesota Vikings .520
    T#8 New York Giants .520
    #12 Carolina Panthers .512
    #13 Atlanta Falcons .509
    #14 Washington Redskins .504
    T#15 Dallas Cowboys .500
    T#15 Miami Dolphins .500
    #18 Buffalo Bills .496
    T#19 Philadelphia Eagles .492
    T#19 Kansas City Chiefs .492
    #21 Baltimore Ravens .488
    T#22 New England Patriots .484
    T#22 Indianapolis Colts .484
    #24 Los Angeles Chargers .480
    T#25 New York Jets .477
    T#25 Pittsburgh Steelers .477
    T#25 Jacksonville Jaguars .477
    T#25 Denver Broncos .477
    T#29 Oakland Raiders .473
    T#29 Cincinatti Bengals .473
    #31 Tennessee Titans .465
    #32 Houston Texans .453



    If the discussion naturally progresses into discussing other teams I will move it to NFL Nation, however if talk predominantly stays with Seattle, I will keep it in the main forum.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3170
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • Yeah it would be interesting to remove in division and see how it looks, I don't have the time to work it out, though!
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3170
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • Where are the Neeners
    Just curious
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    User avatar
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 541
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 pm
    Location: The Burbs in Lacey


  • Also not in the ratings is the key issue of when and where the games are played. Obviously, games in Nov/Dec could be affected majorly by injuries and weather conditions, etc.

    Interesting fodder for message boards, though. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15510
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • hawxfreak wrote:Where are the Neeners
    Just curious


    Well spotted!

    They're ranked tied 15th.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3170
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1971
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • Ad Hawk wrote:Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!


    Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

    Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13824
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!


    Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

    Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.


    This is very true. I'd love to see some statistics comparing preseason strength of schedule vs reality after the seasons have finished over the years to see how it actually pans out. I would think it probably isn't all that similar.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19611
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!


    Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

    Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.


    This is very true. I'd love to see some statistics comparing preseason strength of schedule vs reality after the seasons have finished over the years to see how it actually pans out. I would think it probably isn't all that similar.


    Just look at ESPN's amazing prognosticators last August before the season started.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

    Jags 4-12
    Vikings and Saints 8-8
    Rams 7-9
    Eagles 9-7
    Giants, Broncos and Raiders 10-6
    Hawks, Cards and Bucs at 11-5
    Jets 3-13
    Bills 5-11

    I mean, it's 80% wrong every year by most so called experts.................and that's in August, not now. It's futile.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13824
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:Notice the NFC/AFC differences... fascinating!


    Yeah the AFC is garbage, and NFC is stacked.....................at least on paper on February 12th.

    Which is why I don't put too much stock in these sort of things in February, or even March, April, May or June. Until the draft, training camp and regular season starts, very few strength of schedule facts can be determined.


    This is very true. I'd love to see some statistics comparing preseason strength of schedule vs reality after the seasons have finished over the years to see how it actually pans out. I would think it probably isn't all that similar.


    Just look at ESPN's amazing prognosticators last August before the season started.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

    Jags 4-12
    Vikings and Saints 8-8
    Rams 7-9
    Eagles 9-7
    Giants, Broncos and Raiders 10-6
    Hawks, Cards and Bucs at 11-5
    Jets 3-13
    Bills 5-11

    I mean, it's 80% wrong every year by most so called experts.................and that's in August, not now. It's futile.


    No doubt that the guys guessing records are also way off, I just meant that it would be interesting to see a side by side comparable of Strength of schedule with one side being based on the previous season records and the other side being the actual season records going back a few years for comparison. It wouldn't be difficult to do, just time consuming and I just don't have the time to put in the work.

    Either way though, basing strength of schedule on all teams previous season records is pretty futile. Too much changes over the off season.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19611
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • GeekHawk wrote:I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).



    The Pats always have a chump schedule, as the AFC East teams are never really relevant. Course no one ever brings it up when they exclaim how amazing it is they make the playoffs and AFC championship seemingly every year. Not hard to do, when you have no division competition.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 901
    Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 am


  • lobohawk wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).



    The Pats always have a chump schedule, as the AFC East teams are never really relevant. Course no one ever brings it up when they exclaim how amazing it is they make the playoffs and AFC championship seemingly every year. Not hard to do, when you have no division competition.



    Pretty much every one outside of NE talks about it, all the time. It is known.
    User avatar
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1622
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 pm


  • Out of the first 15 teams, 14 of them are in the NFC...
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 295
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm


  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    lobohawk wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I wonder what the strength-of-schedule stats look like if you only count the out-of-division games? I'm pretty sure the division explains why the Browns are one above us whist the Pats are breezing through another cupcake schedule. Ours is probably up there due to division games as well, since the whole NFCW is up there (assuming the missing ninners should be in the #17 spot).



    The Pats always have a chump schedule, as the AFC East teams are never really relevant. Course no one ever brings it up when they exclaim how amazing it is they make the playoffs and AFC championship seemingly every year. Not hard to do, when you have no division competition.



    Pretty much every one outside of NE talks about it, all the time. It is known.


    Yeah, I guess I can see it in the other fans. Maybe I forget that in the glow of all the media adulation.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 901
    Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 am


  • I'd rather make the playoffs with a tough strength of schedule than a weak one.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16373
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • ApnaHawk wrote:Out of the first 15 teams, 14 of them are in the NFC...


    The NFC would have won the last 10 sb's if not for the Pats. Denver? ok. once.
    Image
    Exciting football again!?
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4358
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Myrtle Beach Hawk, Go Gators!


  • http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/12/31 ... onents-set

    SEATTLE — While the 2018 NFL schedule won’t be released until sometime this spring, the conclusion of the 2017 regular season does mean we now know who the Seahawks will play next year.

    In addition to their usual six games against the NFC West, the Seahawks will face the NFC North and AFC West in 2018, with home games against the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Chargers, and Kansas City Chiefs and road games against the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, and Oakland Raiders.

    With the Seahawks finishing second in the NFC West, their other two games are against the NFC East second-place finisher and the second-place finisher in the NFC South. The Seahawks will host Dallas, which finished second in the East, and will play at Carolina, which finished second in the NFC South behind the New Orleans Saints.

    Seattle’s 2018 schedule includes five games against 2017 playoff teams, including two against the Rams, and one each against the Chiefs, Vikings, and Panthers. Read

    Seattle Seahawks 2018 Opponents
    Home: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas Cowboys.

    Away: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers.

    So, to throw in some Seahawks content, one note is that we play 5 games against '17 playoff teams (highlighted above). 3 of them are at home, which may help. Hopefully, we can stop losing home games this season, but the hard fact is that the Hawks didn't play well in those 4 home losses. When you play poorly, it's hard to win anywhere.

    There are 3 potential early games. We skated in '17 on 10am games, can't count on that this year since we dropped out of the playoff bracket. It's one way that the Lambs move helped us, one less guaranteed early game per year. IIRC, Denver doesn't happen at 10am, right?

    All in all, I see it as a pretty typical Seahawks schedule.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15510
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • 7-9 book it. Time to rebuild and stop wasting draft capital to bring players in as if Hawks window is still open. As much good as Pete and John have done they have severely handicapped this team the next few years with bad trades and dumb contracts.
    RCATES
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 462
    Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am


  • Not booking crap, this team isn't going 7-9. 9-7 or 10-6. Maybe go pull for another team if this one is somehow now the Cleveland Browns in your eyes. :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • There is no such thing as a real strength of schedule yet, so many changes still to be made, our team and others will not look the same come July, the Rams and 49ers alone have and will be improved to skew those real rankings, how many coaches have left teams and are now new HC's etc.

    We don't know if were going to be a force on offense or defense next year alone with the amount of change that has happened, we could be go 4 and 12 in a rebuild season at this point, or our staff as it sits and a few roster moves and the unknown improvement of our Redshirt guys could vault us to 13 and 3 somehow. Till we see the recipe and at least the first course serving in pre season which is going to be vanilla anyway we won't have a good idea if the new mix of players and coaches mesh together.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25415
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • There is no way of knowing really. Every single year, some teams that are supposed to be good have off years due to injuries or whatever other reason. And a team or two surprises everyone by doing much better than everyone thinks. No way of predicting how good many of the teams will be. Most teams are a starting QB injury from being average or worse. How many people knew or even thought the Jags would be that good this year? Look at the hype other teams like the Giants had, they were absolute garbage. Look how many people were talking about the Jets maybe doing 0-16 this year, they were competitive in many of their games.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • Geek makes a good point. Playoffs in 2018, I believe. I'd rather believe and be wrong than assume the worst and be right.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    I hope you're right, but we won't know anything until the season starts...................and unless we have a hell of a draft and put together a better roster than last year? You're gonna hear a LOT more people saying 7-9 or 8-8.

    The NFC is loaded, and our division is now loaded.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13824
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    I hope you're right, but we won't know anything until the season starts...................and unless we have a hell of a draft and put together a better roster than last year? You're gonna hear a LOT more people saying 7-9 or 8-8.

    The NFC is loaded, and our division is now loaded.


    Most of the Roster wasn't bad last year, we were decimated by injuries. Talent level, we were really only weak on the O-line. Injuries are what hurt the other parts of the team.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19611
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    I hope you're right, but we won't know anything until the season starts...................and unless we have a hell of a draft and put together a better roster than last year? You're gonna hear a LOT more people saying 7-9 or 8-8.

    The NFC is loaded, and our division is now loaded.


    Most of the Roster wasn't bad last year, we were decimated by injuries. Talent level, we were really only weak on the O-line. Injuries are what hurt the other parts of the team.


    And most of those key injuries are still going to be a factor going into the season, specifically Kam and Sherman.........and who knows if Carson is going to be 100% by training camp.

    I get what you're saying, and I hope we address the line and other areas of need.

    But for geekhawk to be flabbergasted that people on February 13th are down on the Hawks and think we're back on top just because we got rid of our coordinators is a head scratcher.

    This FO and roster has a LOT to improve and prove.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13824
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • I don't think our o-line is as under-talented as most of you do. I firmly believe the coaching is what did it. Just look at how Duane Brown started off pretty good and got worse every game. Listen to former o-linemen talking in radio interviews about the specific things that Ifedi et al are doing wrong with their footwork, leverage, etc and how it's a result of coaching and not talent. I can't remember the interviewee's name (former Seahawk o-lineman), but it was on KJR. Look at the absolute s**t-show of game planning, not utilizing player strengths, not taking advantage of matchups, etc from the OC. Our horrible injuries decimated the D down to only 'fairly good' instead of 'OMG AWESOME', but the coaching had our talented-enough O playing to their weaknesses all the time. All we need to do is stop that madness and we'll be a pretty damn good team.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:There is no way of knowing really. Every single year, some teams that are supposed to be good have off years due to injuries or whatever other reason. And a team or two surprises everyone by doing much better than everyone thinks. No way of predicting how good many of the teams will be. Most teams are a starting QB injury from being average or worse. How many people knew or even thought the Jags would be that good this year? Look at the hype other teams like the Giants had, they were absolute garbage. Look how many people were talking about the Jets maybe doing 0-16 this year, they were competitive in many of their games.


    Great point. Last year people were predicting the AFC West to be the best division in the league and it turned out to be one of the worst. The NFC East teams actually benefited from playing the AFCW this past season. Who knows, the AFC North could surprise us with three playoff teams next year (they did this back in 2014). Maybe the NFC South will go to crap and send one team to the playoffs with a 10-6 record instead of three teams like this season. It's so difficult to tell, our schedule might end up being the fifth easiest when all is said and done.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    We hired a few scrubs who will be "yes men" to PC. This team peaked 2 seasons ago. Hold on tight the next 5 years are going to be a bumpy ride.
    RCATES
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 462
    Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am


  • That's your opinion, doesn't make it fact.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • RCATES wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    We hired a few scrubs who will be "yes men" to PC. This team peaked 2 seasons ago. Hold on tight the next 5 years are going to be a bumpy ride.


    Don't do drugs, m'kay? Drugs are bad, m'kay?
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • GeekHawk wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Holy shit. We just got rid of the biggest jokes in the NFL coaching ranks in bevel and rhymes-with-unable, and you clowns think we're going to get worse? I thought we legalized MJ, not LSD. :roll:


    We hired a few scrubs who will be "yes men" to PC. This team peaked 2 seasons ago. Hold on tight the next 5 years are going to be a bumpy ride.


    Don't do drugs, m'kay? Drugs are bad, m'kay?


    Or maybe start. Would probably be happier.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online