Playing with the Lead

adeltaY

Reaction score
Or, rather, not this year. I was trying to find stats on this but couldn't. I know Pete mentioned it during his exit interview with Brock and Salk a while back. He said that we barely had the lead and that affected the way the defense was able to play. I found the stats on Football Outsiders. We ranked 21st in playing time with a lead at 9:19 and 18th in total game time trailing at 24:15. I really wish they broke it down further by one and two possession leads. Not horrific, but not good, and definitely not what we want to see next year.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many games where we had a two score lead. The Giants game, @49ers, Colts, Eagles, and Cowboys games were the only ones. I'm not sure if we had a two score lead in any game at halftime. Maybe the Eagles game?

I think this really hurt us this year. Teams didn't have too play with as much urgency to catch up to us, rather, our offense was the one in that position. The defense couldn't pin its ears back and rush the passer and there were fewer chances for mistakes as our opponents could afford to be more conservative. The offense was the main culprit and they had to play manic catchup in the fourth, which sucked as well. I hope

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":1hjj8rcu said:
Or, rather, not this year. I was trying to find stats on this but couldn't. I know Pete mentioned it during his exit interview with Brock and Salk a while back. He said that we barely had the lead and that affected the way the defense was able to play. I found the stats on Football Outsiders. We ranked 21st in playing time with a lead at 9:19 and 18th in total game time trailing at 24:15. I really wish they broke it down further by one and two possession leads. Not horrific, but not good, and definitely not what we want to see next year.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many games where we had a two score lead. The Giants game, @49ers, Colts, Eagles, and Cowboys games were the only ones. I'm not sure if we had a two score lead in any game at halftime. Maybe the Eagles game?

I think this really hurt us this year. Teams didn't have too play with as much urgency to catch up to us, rather, our offense was the one in that position. The defense couldn't pin its ears back and rush the passer and there were fewer chances for mistakes as our opponents could afford to be more conservative. The offense was the main culprit and they had to play manic catchup in the fourth, which sucked as well. I hope

If you take a gander at football outsiders drive stats youll also notice an aberration where the hawks actually had a negative score (meaning they were trailing on average) on average when starting a drive, both on offense and defense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mrt144":19hxgv8n said:
adeltaY":19hxgv8n said:

If you take a gander at football outsiders drive stats youll also notice an aberration where the hawks actually had a negative score (meaning they were trailing on average) on average when starting a drive, both on offense and defense.
That’s what happens when you have craptastic offensive gameplans, craptastic offensive playcalling, and it takes you 3 quarters to adjust. Hopefully with the OC and OL coaches being terminated, this has been remedied.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
mrt144":34ggd10c said:
adeltaY":34ggd10c said:

Cool, thanks for pointing that out. What a season. :/

JGreen79

Reaction score
Playing with a lead is huge for this team. Irrc Wilson is undefeated when leading by 4 or more at the half.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Cant play with a lead when the offense doesnt do anything until right before halftime

ducks41468

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":653zqyyv said:
mrt144":653zqyyv said:
adeltaY":653zqyyv said:

That’s what happens when you have craptastic offensive gameplans, craptastic offensive playcalling, and it takes you 3 quarters to adjust. Hopefully with the OC and OL coaches being terminated, this has been remedied.

Exactly. They barely played with a lead because the offense was hyper conservative and only scored in reaction to the other team scoring first. It's always been bad under Pete but this year he took it to a new level. The only two games where we ever had a comfortable lead was the very end of the Colts and Giants games because those two teams were so bad.

Crizilla

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":lccxp99k said:
Cant play with a lead when the offense doesnt do anything until right before halftime

This

First half offense was so terribly bad this year. If I remember correctly we were down at half against Indy.