Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • A run game probably the biggest thing, they also appeard to have a lot more discipline than Seattle in so many ways.
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

• A weak schedule that allowed them to get HFA. Then played the 6 seed at home. Then got a Vikings team that had just gotten one of the most improbable wins in NFL history and obviously weren’t ready to play. Then the weakest version of NE that we’ve seen in a decade. There’s a reason we beat them good as we always do.
    droop828
    NET Starter

• O-line men?
    Gutsy play caller and Play execution ... yup. They executed play after play after play.
    A TE they actually threw the ball to?
    Nick Foles just throwing the ball...
    Their D was poor, but came through when it mattered.

Edit: by staff.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• They got pressure on Brady when it mattered most.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

• A run game
    Offensive lineman
    Excellent play calling
    3rd down conversions
    Tight end that delivered all over the field
    Brutal defensive front 4
    Better depth
    Adequate kicker
    More hunger in the locker room
    Excellent execution
    Fans that eat horse poo (Youtube it)
    Disciplined on the penalties
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• The best offensive line in football and a 1-2 punch of power and speed at RB.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Everything we currently don’t have.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Coaches, OL, running game, kicker.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• I'll stick with offensively:

-A competent Oline, Oline coach/scheme
    -Aggressive play calling
    -Playcalling to win instead of playcalling to not lose (huge difference)
    -Not forcing your pass catching TE to block at the point of attack, and using said TE in ways to succeed based on his skillset
    -overall just a better team at nearly every offensive skill position, their RB/WR/TE depth is far superior
    -they have nearly everyone on their team locked up for at least the next 2 years as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

• Good coaching and a good OL.

You can't win without a running game, and you can't run without a decent OL. Also need QB pressure.

Hopefully our FO took note.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Yet we beat them...weird.
    Just The Tip......

I'm a 6'5, 255lb ginger. You can't hurt me, I have no soul.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

• Are you talking about the year we lost in the SB?

A.

Better coaching.

Better quarterback play.

A willingness to use the RPO throughout the game.

Or now?

A. Pretty much everything

(Hint: we were a team that did not make the playoffs. We aren't that good right now)
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Did anyone else notice how the Front Line blocks when they run inside? I envy their run game.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:Did anyone else notice how the Front Line blocks when they run inside? I envy their run game.

They were opening some serious lanes. Their second level blocking was superb as well.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• TAB420 wrote:Yet we beat them...weird.

:snack:

By 14 points . . . when they had Carson Wentz.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:Did anyone else notice how the Front Line blocks when they run inside? I envy their run game.

Yes and Cable was screaming at his TV, "You're blocking it all wrong"
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

• We smoked them when we played them so does that mean we automatically would have beaten the Patriots too? Nope. The NFL is weird that way. I've always maintained that every game is its own entity. What happens one week has no bearing on the next. The best thing the Eagles did was stay aggressive for most of the game. The one time they went soft was towards the end of the game when they called a weak running play on 3rd down where they ended up having to kick a field goal to go up 8 instead of sealing the deal with an aggressive play call to keep the chains moving.

They are very fortunate that play didn't come back to bite them in the ass but outside of that they did a great job. Brady's stats were off the charts but that strip sack at the end of the game was truly the difference. It's hard to say how the Seahawks would have played yesterday. It's a coin toss if they would have won or not. Certainly we have the talent on paper to do it. But game plan, scheme, coaching...Those are the ultimate variables in my mind.

I am SO looking forward to the Seahawks being back in the Big Dance. I feel it's going to happen within the next two or three years. Let's get another Lombardi! The first one is lonely. But kudos to the Eagles and their fans. We have had a lot in common over the years.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Really creative Offense that relentlessly attacked the Patriots all day.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• Aros wrote: Let's get another Lombardi! The first one is lonely.

You made me go all tingly, Todd :irishdrinkers:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• HFA, that's what they had..............and a coaching staff that went for broke with their scheme and playcalling, and of course execution.

Cause you can have all sorts of innovative playcalling, but if you don't execute it doesn't matter. So give the players credit as well, especially Foles, he made some incredible throws.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I think we're pretty close to Philly. They're only better than us at offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Everything about their offense was just head and shoulders above what the Seahawks have put on the field the last few years.

OL play
    RB play
    TE play
    Offensive playcalling and schemes
    In game and half time adjustments where needed

Their defense didn't really do anything to stop Brady until the last strip sack play. That was the game changer.

Could we have done the same thing to the Patriots with our current team and coaching staff? IMO Nope.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Philly is very disciplined and don't beat themselves. I don't remember even ONE holding call

They completely control the trenches. They may not have sacked Brady but they made him uncomfortable. Their O-line pushes people around. That is what makes them such an elite team, their D-line and O-line

The Eagles also have a ballsy coach. Pete would have taken a field goal on the 1 yard line on 4th down. Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Good offensive line coach (still were good despite losing All pro LT Peters)
    Incredible play design and play calling.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Philly is like 7 deep in the DL for rushing the passer. Their OL also has two All Pros on it. Doug Pederson is also a master play caller....so a lot
    Last edited by Steve2222 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Now that there is a new offensive coaching staff, hopefully the Seahawks can return to establishing a power running game.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:Philly is very disciplined and don't beat themselves. I don't remember even ONE holding call

They completely control the trenches. They may not have sacked Brady but they made him uncomfortable. Their O-line pushes people around. That is what makes them such an elite team, their D-line and O-line

The Eagles also have a ballsy coach. Pete would have taken a field goal on the 1 yard line on 4th down. Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Nah, but he would have faked the field goal and watched Luke Willson get tackled.

Execution. That's the difference.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Philly had a more balanced approach and better overall team and they got points at the end when it mattered most. Their backup QB didn't turn the ball over when it mattered most either.

It was awesome to see golden boy fail not just once, but twice with the game on the line. And a backup journeyman did all the right things, no less.

Plain and simple, the better TEAM won.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Steve2222 wrote:Philly is like 7 deep in the DL for rushing the passer. Their OL also has two All Pros on it. Doug Pederson is also a master play caller....so a lot

Good point, and might be THE main reason we faded in SB 49..............after Cliff went out our D-Line no longer could get pressure on Brady, and he picked us apart.

If you want to beat Brady, you gotta hit him and make him uncomfortable, and Philly had the front seven and depth to do that. Brady STILL threw for almost 600 yards, but never had the explosive plays or could hit the clutch throw down the stretch.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:Philly is like 7 deep in the DL for rushing the passer. Their OL also has two All Pros on it. Doug Pederson is also a master play caller....so a lot

Good point, and might be THE main reason we faded in SB 49..............after Cliff went out our D-Line no longer could get pressure on Brady, and he picked us apart.

If you want to beat Brady, you gotta hit him and make him uncomfortable, and Philly had the front seven and depth to do that. Brady STILL threw for almost 600 yards, but never had the explosive plays or could hit the clutch throw down the stretch.

Yeah. The biggest reason the Eagles won last night was their offense just had so much rhythm. Our offense this year had no rhythm ever due in part to having a ****y OL and scrub HBs.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• They played to WIN instead of playing to not lose. Unlike what the Hawks and Falcons did. Gotta' play aggressive for 4 quarters. Doug P is the coach of the year imo, he outcoached the best we've ever seen. Very impressive. And Foles was nails, yet again.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• A team that played from the opening whistle.
    “For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.”

― T.S. Eliot
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:A run game
    Offensive lineman
    Excellent play calling
    3rd down conversions
    Tight end that delivered all over the field
    Brutal defensive front 4
    Better depth
    Adequate kicker
    More hunger in the locker room
    Excellent execution
    Fans that eat horse poo (Youtube it)
    Disciplined on the penalties

I agree with all of this. However, I think it's interesting to consider that except for a couple of missed FG's, I think the Seahawks would have been in the Super Bowl instead of the Eagles. I'm not ignoring the many, many flaws that the Seahawks had this season. The coaching and playcalling was a mess. The Offensive Line was atrocious. The team lacked discipline at critical moments.

And for all of that, we still should have been 11-5 at the worst. Fix some of those other issues and this could very well have been a dominant season for the Seahawks. Woulda coulda shoulda, but it is fascinating (and frustrating) to think of what might have been.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• Quite simply the eagles won because of one play, the strip sack. Brady was on the way to snatching another teams dream. As good as Phillys d line is they had 1 sack and allowed 5.1 yards per carry.

I'm happy they won but all year long we watched officials overturn plays just like two of the Eagles TD's
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Rookie

• Scorpion05 wrote:Philly is very disciplined and don't beat themselves. I don't remember even ONE holding call

And if they didn't get in? Dumb as hell.

Pete did the same thing vs Detroit in the playoffs for a TD. So?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

• Philly got a TD that I didn't think was. And Philly's defense was atrocious. Brady carved them up. One strip sack was true difference.

However if this was our hawks, Russ would be glorified and not crucified.

This Superbowl the defense lost Brady a ring. They have won him Superbowl in the past.( first cpl)
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• 1. A running game
    2. A coach that looked at a player who previously flourished using a specific setup on plays to succeed above expectations - RPO
    3. An offensive line
    4. A defense that got an essential turnover when needed.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Well, crappy coaching from the Hawks and the Falcons in the 4th quarter or the Pats are sitting on 3 straight losses in the Superb Owl. Philly was the better team.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• DomeHawk wrote:A team that played from the opening whistle.

This sums it up for me. The one game they did it this year, they manhandled the Eagles.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Three things the Seahawks will hopefully have this year that they didn't have the last few years:

1. An offensive coordinator in Brian Schottenheimer who understand how to establish offensive rhythm through a diverse offensive attack and focused running game.

2. Better running backs with the return of Chris Carson and hopefully another addition in the draft.

3. Improved offensive line play with an offensive line coach in Mike Solari who is focused on technique and fundamentals, a Pro Bowler at LT in Duane Brown, a solid center in Justin Britt, the return of George Fant, promising play by Jordan Roos, and hopefully the move of Germain Ifedi inside to guard.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawkman wrote:Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.

The QB they decide to trade? Lmao they’re not trading Wentz.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Far superior team than current version of Seahawks at nearly every level.

Stout run game. Disciplined D. Very capable pocket QB.

And as important as any of the above...coaching-coaching-coaching.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.

The QB they decide to trade? Lmao they’re not trading Wentz.

I believe you are probably right. If it was just the SB that Foles played like this in it would be a no brainer, but it wasn’t. No guarantee the Eagles are champs right now if Wentz stayed heathy. I believe the trade value for each guy will be figured in the equation.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

• mrt144 wrote:1. A running game
    2. A coach that looked at a player who previously flourished using a specific setup on plays to succeed above expectations - RPO
    3. An offensive line
    4. A defense that got an essential turnover when needed.

Thread answer winner. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Big reliable #1 reciever and a deadly run game.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• semiahmoo wrote:Far superior team than current version of Seahawks at nearly every level.

I keep reading this.....and Philly is good.....but the head to head result speaks for itself.

Teams that are "far superior" dont get spanked on the field like the Eagles did when we played them.

The hyperbole to make some kind of point here is a bit over the top.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• It's simple, they got pressure from their DL at the end of the game where everyone is used to seeing Tommy Boy do his thing. The strip sack was a game breaker. The Hawks DL disappeared in the SB 49 game late.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

• Hawkpower wrote:
    semiahmoo wrote:Far superior team than current version of Seahawks at nearly every level.

I keep reading this.....and Philly is good.....but the head to head result speaks for itself.

Teams that are "far superior" dont get spanked on the field like the Eagles did when we played them.

The hyperbole to make some kind of point here is a bit over the top.

I don’t think you can ever place to much importance on one game for comparison purposes. I believe UW was a far superior team to ASU this season, yet ASU made UW look like a bottom feeder. The Rams may be a better team than the Hawks at this point in time, but definitely not 42-7 better. Seems like most good teams have a game like that every year. This year the Eagles had theirs against the Hawks.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

• hawkman wrote:
    I don’t think you can ever place to much importance on one game for comparison purposes. I believe UW was a far superior team to ASU this season, yet ASU made UW look like a bottom feeder. The Rams may be a better team than the Hawks at this point in time, but definitely not 42-7 better. Seems like most good teams have a game like that every year. This year the Eagles had theirs against the Hawks.

Very true, but the Hawks pounding the Eagles, and Eagles beating the Pats just shows us what a parity league the NFL is............and why things like scheme, playcalling, coaching, preparation and execution is usually what decide games..........and not so much the talent disparity on the field.

It's literally how the Patriots have remained on top for 15 years, and also why the Eagles won last night. Great coaching, preparation and executed more clutch plays than the Patriots.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information