DeShawn Shead is an Unrestricted FA

adeltaY

Reaction score
I had previously read that due to him being on the PUP so long, Shead's contract would toll and we would get him this year at no extra cost, having had his salary count against the cap this year. Alas (for the team), it looks like Shead is now a UFA. Does anyone think we sign him? Not sure what his market is given he didn't take any snaps at CB this season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dshead24/status/959533642371383296[/tweet]

crosfam

Reaction score
He was our starting corner when injured - and fought to come back. The opposite-Sherman corner has always been a target. I've always seen him as a hybrid safety/CB type. Maybe not top tier starter but if he is 85-90 percent what he was before injured definitely worth a contract, and just in time to be a leader & contributor, as other LOB are bound to be gone this year. Min vet contract to 1.2 for a single year would be fine. Paying a multi-year deal would be too risky for most teams. Might see Dallas or NE going after a guy like Shead if we pass.

I try not to be too dismissive of guys like Maxwell, Shead, and Lane who have given their all (and suffered serious injuries that need rehab to heal) for this team. It is part of a DBs job description to get beat once in a while. As long as we do not overpay while adding continuity & leadership they may be valuable, even if they have some flaws. We will probably have 4-5 DBs on the team in their first or second year for the 2018 season, they will need (affordable) continuity & leadership.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
crosfam":glgrymhy said:
He was our starting corner when injured - and fought to come back. The opposite-Sherman corner has always been a target. I've always seen him as a hybrid safety/CB type. Maybe not top tier starter but if he is 85-90 percent what he was before injured definitely worth a contract, and just in time to be a leader & contributor, as other LOB are bound to be gone this year. Min vet contract to 1.2 for a single year would be fine. Paying a multi-year deal would be too risky for most teams. Might see Dallas or NE going after a guy like Shead if we pass.

I try not to be too dismissive of guys like Maxwell, Shead, and Lane who have given their all (and suffered serious injuries that need rehab to heal) for this team. It is part of a DBs job description to get beat once in a while. As long as we do not overpay while adding continuity & leadership they may be valuable, even if they have some flaws. We will probably have 4-5 DBs on the team in their first or second year for the 2018 season, they will need (affordable) continuity & leadership.
Well said.
Shead was also first in run stop % in 2016. No reason not to have this guy on the team and in the competition at multiple DB spots.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2fbopqs1 said:
crosfam":2fbopqs1 said:

Well said.
Shead was also first in run stop % in 2016. No reason not to have this guy on the team and in the competition at multiple DB spots.

He was
He was
He was

As in past tense. No one's going to throw big money at a middling CB that had a major injury and missed an entire year.

If I had to guess, it'll depend on the draft as to if we even offer Shead an incentive laden contract to come back and prove he can still play...........which is the same thing he's going to hear out in free agency.

And if we draft a corner or two that Pete thinks can contribute right away? Shead's gone.

Jville

Reaction score
DeShawn Shead has been a positive contributor thru out his career in Seattle. He is experienced and fits right in. Neiko Thorpe, who has one year remaining on his contract and was brought in to cover for DeShawn's loss, brings a similar presence to the field. Thorpe's cap savings, if he doesn't make the team for 2018, would be $1,818,750. I would think that would be a good reference number when thinking about DeShawn Shead.

IMHO ...... There is clearly a need to make room for at least one of them. Although, a Byron Maxwell signing would further complicate the competitive trade offs.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Here's a guy that I could care less if we resign or not. He always seemed like he was in position to make a play, but would never turn his head around to do so.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1jdht0io said:
Here's a guy that I could care less if we resign or not. He always seemed like he was in position to make a play, but would never turn his head around to do so.
Yep. Defensive backs that DON’T get their head turned around irk the crap out of me.
30+ years ago in Highschool we would get yelled at (and rightfully so) when we didn’t turn our heads around to defend the ball.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":34j39cw1 said:

How much less could you care? It sounds like he means a lot to you...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Multiple position player with freak combine numbers when he came out. Had a respectable 4.53 40, but also had a 38 inch vert and a truly awesome 6.76 3 cone at 220 pounds. That's a better 3 cone than both Shady McCoy and DeSean Jackson, who were 25 and 35 pounds lighter at the time. Sherm's combine doesn't stack up either.

He'll be a year removed from injury, playing his best ball at 29, and if he can be got for 1 to 2 years on a fairly cheap deal, we'd probably be stupid to pass it up. Some IFS there, but if the deal is right then why not...

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
vin.couve12":12xss0si said:
Multiple position player with freak combine numbers when he came out. Had a respectable 4.53 40, but also had a 38 inch vert and a truly awesome 6.76 3 cone at 220 pounds. That's a better 3 cone than both Shady McCoy and DeSean Jackson, who were 25 and 35 pounds lighter at the time. Sherm's combine doesn't stack up either.

He'll be a year removed from injury, playing his best ball at 29, and if he can be got for 1 to 2 years on a fairly cheap deal, we'd probably be stupid to pass it up. Some IFS there, but if the deal is right then why not...
^^^This sums it up. I don't see any downside to bringing Shead back on a short term contract.

original poster

Reaction score
If Pete wants hungry players, I think he will want Shead on he roster.

He’s absolutely got something to prove.

My bet is exactly the same deal as last year. 1 year $1.2M. (Think that’s correct).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He can play safety and corner. Is athletic. Has shown the ability to play at a starter level. Lock him up on a 1-2 year deal.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Name another DB you would like to sign for bout 1-1.5 million? If the Hawks can sign him to the same deal he had least year or something relatively similar, they absolutely should jump on that.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Is Shead any better than Maxwell? No.

Same age, a guy who can be physical and tackle but he has awful ball skills. Gives up a lot of passes that would be breakups if he ever got his head around.

IMO if Sherman never gets hurt they don't even bring Shead off PUP. I would only consider it if Maxwell wants too much money.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3j3qsw9n said:

Same age, a guy who can be physical and tackle but he has awful ball skills. Gives up a lot of passes that would be breakups if he ever got his head around.

IMO if Sherman never gets hurt they don't even bring Shead off PUP. I would only consider it if Maxwell wants too much money.
Exactly. Sherm, Coleman, Shaq, and draft another corner you should be fine.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1iwd9eg3 said:
WestcoastSteve":1iwd9eg3 said:

Exactly. Sherm, Coleman, Shaq, and draft another corner you should be fine.
Hawks don't have a lot of draft picks this year. Are you sure you want to spend an early pick on a CB? If you are going to spend an early pick on a CB, what area of need are you passing on, OG, LB, RB, TE, Safety? And, if you are spending a late pick on a corner, are you sure you want to go into the season relying on a late round pick for depth at a high value position? What percentage of late round CB picks develop into starting caliber players, solid backup players, get cut and are out of the league before ever playing a game? There seems to be this recurring notion in here that you can just draft a player and the position is magically filled.
JS/PC typically fill out team needs in free agency so that their hand is not forced during the draft. They also bring in multiple players to compete for depth (might have something to do with the knowledge that not every draft pick or signing goes as planned). Teams typically carry 10 DBs on the roster, 9 at a minimum, with 5 of those being CBs. Shead has position versatility, he knows the system and technique, he has good size and athleticism, he led the league in CB run stop percentage in 2016, has demonstrated the ability to play as a solid starter, and appears to be fully recovered from the injury. I expect that the intelligent football minds that run this team will extend a reasonable offer to Shead; Shead may not accept the offer.