Luke Willson talking about THAT play

Gibbo

Reaction score
If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.

MOD EDIT: The link was removed as the language in the video isn't suitable for this forum. The discussion is fine to remain here as long as it's kept within the rules. If you've come to this thread and haven't seen the video, there's a link to it in the thread in the shack.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Gibbo":8bp7xxum said:
If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.

Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

GO HAWKS!!!

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
That was actually a good listen, and only reinforces the argument that someone, anyone should have been fired after that game. Keeping the whole staff together, with as angry as the team was, doomed this organization for the next few years. Maybe now, with a new regime in place, we can finally move on as a new team, rather than "the team that blew the Superbowl."

Thank God we won it the year before. Can you imagine if that was our only shot?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
12HawkFan":9obq6t0i said:
Gibbo":9obq6t0i said:

Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

GO HAWKS!!!

Pretty much this. If you want to fire someone for that play, fire Pete.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.

hawkman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29pqq7kx said:
12HawkFan":29pqq7kx said:
Gibbo":29pqq7kx said:

GO HAWKS!!!

Pretty much this. If you want to fire someone for that play, fire Pete.

In reality if you want to fire someone fire Wilson. The play was called because it was a easy throw. And if the ball had been thrown even half way decent the worst case would have been an incompletion. It was a good call and a very poor throw.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ig02u4gy said:
I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.

Execution and it works, just like with Brees.

Low snap by Unger...............Kearse gets manhandled by Browner and doesn't pick Butler.............throw not low enough by Russell..............and voila, no SB win #2.

As much as I hate the Patriots, that play is a microcosm of why they're going for their 6th SB win in 15 years, and we're sitting at home. They're the most disciplined clutch prepared team in NFL history that just flat out executes when it matters most, on both sides of the ball.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
The play called would have worked if they ran it just like they did except instead of throwing it to Lockette, throw it to the WIDE OPEN LYNCH !!!!!!!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sometimes, someone has to burn just so the group can move on.

It really does not even matter if Bevell is the one at fault. SOMEONE has to burn. And given the perception, removing him would have made it a lot easier to move on.

Typically, teams that lose the SB do not come back. They make too many changes to 'fix' things and they implode. Guys that are important suddenly become more visible and so more demanded - which makes them harder to keep. Talent gets drained off while wholesale changes (like a Graham trade) turn strengths into weaknesses while bringing in guys that are not really part of the existing culture or group dynamic but are expected to be central cogs.

It rarely works anyway. Even removing Bevell probably would not have changed that. But the hangover over multiple years is the issue, not the challenges that hit immediately after.

The fact that YET ANOTHER player on the Seahawks is still discussing this play means they hadn't moved on - even if some of you think they should or are tired of the discussion.

It is a salient issue that affected the success of the team over YEARS. So discussing it seems reasonable.

We took far too long to fix this, and it might have been after the team has lost too many people to age, injury and leaving for other teams. This isn't the most talented team in the league anymore or even close.

So I am glad they fixed it but they squandered years of potential winning in waiting.

That is on Pete.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2vvspycl said:
Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.

It was a hell of a play, and the Patriot defenders knew it was a pass play. Yet if we execute it still works.

That's the beauty and agony of sports, you can run dozens of plays from the goalline. Why we continue to fixate on the playcall and not the execution is insane to me.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2br6an49 said:

Rare only for Seahawks fans, everyone else debates it as best all time SB play ever. Hard to give all the credit to Butler as a Seahawk fan because we can find several failings that opened the door for him to pull off the near impossible.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Russell should have thrown low and towards where lockette was moving. Now he threw High and away from lockettes body movement. Just a bad throw, which Wilson admitted right after the game.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
TwilightError":7gkujs0s said:
Russell should have thrown low and towards where lockette was moving. Now he threw High and away from lockettes body movement. Just a bad throw, which Wilson admitted right after the game.

And Lockette is a bum, browner knew the play, Kearse got owned, MB was sensational. It all added up. Wilson always takes the high road, he wasn’t going to throw someone else under the bus.

Seymour

Reaction score
The throw may have looked a bit off in hind sight, but if Lockette goes 100% instead of 90% it looks much better too.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There's not a single person at fault for that play. It took a series of events and people - bad throw (Wilson), poor execution (Kearse), poor effort (Lockette), poor play call (Carroll/Bevell) - to ruin that play.