New D-line coach announced

Hawkfish

Reaction score
The reshaping of Seattle's defensive coaching staff continues.

A source told Sporting News that Jethro Franklin will become the Seahawks’ new assistant defensive line coach.

Franklin, 52, played one season for Seattle in 1989 as a defensive lineman before returning to coach the position at his alma mater Fresno State two years later. Franklin’s stint with the Bulldogs lasted eight years before he began bouncing between other defensive line jobs in the college and pro ranks.

His NFL experience includes time with Green Bay (2000-04), Tampa Bay (2006), Houston (2007-09) and Oakland (2015-17).

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/se ... i45n3hubty

kobebryant

Reaction score
HawkFan72":4kgco8tn said:
So this is Ken Norton bringing in a guy he liked working with the last 2 years.

That, and he's worked for Pete at USC. So a familiar face.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2pcck3r0 said:

Makes sense. IMO give Ken what he wants and hopefully that puts him in the best position to succeed.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1mmz9ao6 said:
No, this is Pete Carroll bringing in a guy that he had 2 separate stints with at USC. The fact that KNJ worked with him the past 3 seasons certainly doesn't hurt, but KNJ isn't building this defensive staff. These are exclusively PC's decisions, now more than ever.

Seymour

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":xegeshew said:
HawkFan72":xegeshew said:
No, this is Pete Carroll bringing in a guy that he had 2 separate stints with at USC. The fact that KNJ worked with him the past 3 seasons certainly doesn't hurt, but KNJ isn't building this defensive staff. These are exclusively PC's decisions, now more than ever.

Doesn't mean Ken did not agree and want him brought in. Ultimately I agree Pete is obviously the #1 string puller here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether he is a good coach, what his style is, has he had success? His employment record seems solid.

Seymour

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1s7blm1s said:
original poster":1s7blm1s said:
Beren":1s7blm1s said:
What type of defence does KNJ run?

Whatever Pete Carroll tells him to run.

So he's another 'Yes' man?

In the case of the defense, being a yes man is a good thing. It's Pete's D and that is his strength. Offense....not so much IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":27612lwr said:
original poster":27612lwr said:
Beren":27612lwr said:

So...hmmm, you don't believe that Pete Carroll should have ANY input or say as to what kind of Defense he's trying to build??......That's interesting SMH

adeltaY

Reaction score
scutterhawk":185c12mm said:
pittpnthrs":185c12mm said:
original poster":185c12mm said:
Beren":185c12mm said:

So...hmmm, you don't believe that Pete Carroll should have ANY input or say as to what kind of Defense he's trying to build??......That's interesting SMH

Of course Pete should have input, it's his right as HC. Our best years were with Quinn, though. He was a beast gameplanner and made great adjustments. I don't think KNJ will provide that, given his tenure as Oakland DC.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ca40hab said:
pittpnthrs":2ca40hab said:
original poster":2ca40hab said:
Beren":2ca40hab said:

Sure he should have a say, but I don't want him running everything. It would be in the teams best interest if he stayed the heck away and had no input in the offense. It was stated that the coaching staff was handicapped because they had to run things the way Pete wanted them ran. I just wonder how much truth is in that statement. Its hard to deny it when the team was still running an offense around Marshawn Lynch and he had been gone for two years.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":2rw4uzfo said:
scutterhawk":2rw4uzfo said:
pittpnthrs":2rw4uzfo said:
original poster":2rw4uzfo said:

Of course Pete should have input, it's his right as HC. Our best years were with Quinn, though. He was a beast gameplanner and made great adjustments. I don't think KNJ will provide that, given his tenure as Oakland DC.

Jack Del Rio was calling most the shots in Oakland, not Ken.

Pete will be calling a lot here as far as planning goes as well.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah Ken Norton Jr never really had a defense in Oakland that was 'his'. FAR from it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seymour":1mye55i9 said:
NorthDallas40oz":1mye55i9 said:
HawkFan72":1mye55i9 said:

Doesn't mean Ken did not agree and want him brought in. Ultimately I agree Pete is obviously the #1 string puller here.

Awesome point. Pete has the idea of what he wants his offense to be. It really is not a bad ideology. Seems PC's weakness is finding expertise in to getting the people to run his vision, with the exception of the Lynch era (man miss I that guy).

The defense I have been very happy with,,,,,,,,,,,,,of course with the exception of the opposing teams pulling off late game comebacks. That is a sign of mismanagement and is inexcusable. We were very close to winning 3 SBs in a row. Could have been historic.