Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Reading some articles that are trickling out lately, an interesting mosaic is beginning to form about why Bevell may have been let go, and it has less to do with the playcalling--which Baldwin defended--and more to do with accountability. It began with this anecdote from Danny O'Neil, who suggests that Bevell "couldn't be the bad cop" Pete wants.

"Carroll went on to relay the story of how he sat in Wilson’s locker during halftime of the regular-season finale, right next to his quarterback, and asked him to turn the team around 'in a way he hasn’t heard me talk to him.'"

(http://sports.mynorthwest.com/391124/on ... ll-wilson/)

Then with this article from .com, a theme emerges.

On Schottenheimer, Doug Baldwin said, "He’s very genuine, very honest, very forthcoming, very blunt, and I like that,” ... “I know he’s going to do a great job of bringing us back to where we want to be in terms of discipline and accountability, so I’m really excited to get to work"... Added Baldwin, "Drew [Brees] loves him and one of the things Drew said is that he’s going to hold everybody accountable and when you go into the huddle everybody is going to know what to do. I’m really looking forward to that part being really easy for us.”

(http://www.seahawks.com/news/2018/01/26 ... ttenheimer)

We've been complaining all year that no one was being held accountable, particularly the coaches. Well, those coaches have been judged and sentenced, and now Pete's brought in a guy who has a reputation for speaking bluntly and holding people to a certain standard.

I wonder if we've been all wrong focusing on his offensive resume and philosophies, his schemes. The scheme in Seattle is pretty simple anyway. What we may have needed--and what we may have gotten--is someone who will hold everyone accountable to the Seahawks standard of success. Pete always was the good cop anyway.

Maybe a great hire after all?

(Mods, merge elsewhere if you have to)

Gametime

Reaction score
I agree. These changes were much more about the "how" than the "what". Coaches coming in will have a new voice and new ability to demand better. They will hopefully restore faith in the "always compete" mantra and reduce the finger pointing that seemed to spring up from the growing hypocrisy of some that were not being called out like others were. We had some soft coaches and it showed in several areas.

original poster

Reaction score
It warrants its own post IMO :2thumbs:

It’s a very interesting take, if Bev couldn’t get in Russ’s face and shout at him every now and then it explains a lot.

Accountability could be exactly what these guys need. I was in the minority that liked the hire initially and I stand by that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
A confrontational type of approach to Wilson and the whole offense might be just what the doctor ordered.
Just like the days when Holmgren would yell at Hasselbeck coming off the sidelines, it'd be interesting to see Schottenheimer lose his cool on Wilson after a turnover or three and out, assuming Schottenheimer coaches from the sideline and not the booth.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post. After 10 pages, I think the other thread has run its course.

Accountability is the theme to Pete's New Look Seahawks.

On offense AND defense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
A new Offensive Coordinator is a big deal, and not every topic can be discussed under a single heading, without the discussion jumping all over the place.

toffee

Reaction score
The sheriff better deliver, he has a long but not 'shiny' resume. This is his best, if not the last chance to become HC, provided that Hawks' offense turns around.

I am sure Brian knows it too, he is not getting any younger.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm more willing to give this credence than other Bevell criticisms, given the amount of support it has from local media and players.

There was also a telltale comment after the Eagles game that a lot of people missed - that they did better at "getting Russell going" than they did in other games. It hinted at a little frustration Pete might have in connecting with Wilson, and just how far he's going off script.

Worth pointing out that Wilson just got done playing pretty poorly in the Pro Bowl.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ahygwtp said:
Worth pointing out that Wilson just got done playing pretty poorly in the Pro Bowl.

Well, Wilson has always struggled in the rain... :stirthepot:

RussB

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1245bm9h said:
RussB":1245bm9h said:
Could have had todd haley............

If Todd Haley is so good, how come he gets run out of every position he has?
He did a fantastic job with the steelers offense. Then got fired as the scapegoat to why they lost, when the steelers defense gave up like 40 points.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
RussB":2tiq9ipj said:
Maelstrom787":2tiq9ipj said:
RussB":2tiq9ipj said:

He did a fantastic job with the steelers offense. Then got fired as the scapegoat to why they lost, when the steelers defense gave up like 40 points.

Stop. He got fired for getting cute on 4th and 1 not once but TWICE in crucial situations.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":3n4ecahs said:
RussB":3n4ecahs said:
Maelstrom787":3n4ecahs said:
RussB":3n4ecahs said:

Stop. He got fired for getting cute on 4th and 1 not once but TWICE in crucial situations.

And Ben Rothlesburger is more important to the Steelers than Todd Haley.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great post. Thanks for sharing.

This makes sense. And improves my outlook.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23uw4a02 said:
I'm more willing to give this credence than other Bevell criticisms, given the amount of support it has from local media and players.

There was also a telltale comment after the Eagles game that a lot of people missed - that they did better at "getting Russell going" than they did in other games. It hinted at a little frustration Pete might have in connecting with Wilson, and just how far he's going off script.

How is that worth pointing out when Brees was the only QB that played well? In fact, aside from that miscommunication with Michael Thomas how did Wilson play poorly? Not trying to start anything but I watched the whole thing. Also, seems like for the Eagles game we went with a lot of quick passes, intermediate routes. I highly doubt Pete is frustrated with Wilson, Wilson if anything saved Pete's season from being a disaster

As for Schotty, I will say that he's definitely a Culture fit. He is the perfect compliment to Pete. Todd Haley isn't, at all. Haley may yell, but Schotty strikes a solid balance of tough love and compassion. His scheme and play sequence is the only question mark I have about him

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2n742p24 said:
MontanaHawk05":2n742p24 said:

How is that worth pointing out when Brees was the only QB that played well? In fact, aside from that miscommunication with Michael Thomas how did Wilson play poorly? Not trying to start anything but I watched the whole thing. Also, seems like for the Eagles game we went with a lot of quick passes, intermediate routes

As for Schotty, I will say that he's definitely a Culture fit. He is the perfect compliment to Pete. Todd Haley isn't, at all. Haley may yell, but Schotty strikes a solid balance of tough love and compassion. His scheme and play sequence is the only question mark I have about him

Well if it's more then Bubble screen right then two deep passes as the end of the last season was then it has to be better.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
chris98251":106m33ym said:
Well if it's more then Bubble screen right then two deep passes as the end of the last season was then it has to be better.

I do think Schotty will have his best season under us. Whether it's the best this offense could be with Wilson, Doug, and a running game? I don't know, I sure hope so

Schotty is only in his 40s. I hope he's had a revelation of sorts. Would love to see a screen play actually work lol. Saw Wilson make a lot of check downs to Kamara and Ingram today and thought "Man, that'd be nice"