Votes: 10 14.1%
  • RG

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

hawknation2018

Reaction score
We have had a few too many polls on this board lately, but I'm just curious where people think Germain Ifedi should play going forward.

Ifedi played RG as a rookie and RT last season. At the end of last season, Carroll said he hoped Ifedi would be able to stay at RG. However, in his most recent press conference, Carroll said he was interested to see Ifedi as a "2nd-year tackle."

*Credit to the venerable "originalposter" for the excellent videos on Solari discussing tackles vs guards.

[youtube]ccJFoOmyFis[/youtube]
[youtube]MwSrfMNWk1A[/youtube]

Solari managed to coach 6'8 Alex Boone into a very good RG, in part because he lacked the ideal lateral agility to play OT. IMO, playing Ifedi at tackle led to a lot of false starts and holding calls because he was beaten more often on the outside due to his limited lateral agility (Ifedi had the same short shuttle as James Carpenter). For this reason, I predicted that Ifedi would rack up a lot more penalties at tackle than he did at guard. Generally, I think Ifedi plays with pretty good leverage, knee bend, north-south explosiveness, etc.

TreeRon

Reaction score
For what it's worth I think Boone is available

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think he should play unrestricted FA. His position would be Walmart greeter, though I'm sure he'd find a way to get a penalty doing that as well. After eight hours when he goes three and out he can ride his couch.

Fade

Reaction score
Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":1ei4dpak said:
Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.

I think you know I'm going to say this: Anthony Davis had WAY BETTER lateral agility than Ifedi.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As my coach used to say, his natural position is Left Bench.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1v0ocs3p said:
Fade":1v0ocs3p said:

I think you know I'm going to say this: Anthony Davis had WAY BETTER lateral agility than Ifedi.

Way better? No. He weighed 350 pounds and had heavy feet like Ifedi. Speed rushers gave him trouble.

What he was way better at than Ifedi is technique, and playing with leverage which helps mitigate that weakness.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think he should play his radio in his car as he goes somewhere else.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1u6wn835 said:
Fade":1u6wn835 said:

Not sure about agility, but Ifedi seems to have more desire than Anthony Davis, which might make Ifedi more willing to learn.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Ifedi is an interior lineman. PERIOD. he could play center easier than tackle.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'd give him another shot at RT. Offensive lineman often take years to develop. Britt, Unger, Carpenter, and Sweezy all looked awful into their second years before becoming servicable. Give him more than a year at a single position.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2bfq1ud3 said:
I'd give him another shot at RT. Offensive lineman often take years to develop. Britt, Unger, Carpenter, and Sweezy all looked awful into their second years before becoming servicable. Give him more than a year at a single position.

I agree. I would give him another shot at RT.

toffee

Reaction score
raisethe3":29k5a0lr said:
Trrrroy":29k5a0lr said:
I agree. I would give him another shot at RT.

In Solari I trust, if our new OL coach decided to dump Ifedi, I am cool with it.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think he gets trained up and takes Joeckel's spot at guard, and starts to tear it up. Call me crazy, Pocic looks like an athletic tackle to me. Pocic probably becomes the jack of all trades though, back-up C, G, and T.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
King Dog":18x9fvdw said:
Popeyejones":18x9fvdw said:
As my coach used to say, his natural position is Left Bench.
My old coach used to say "You're short, but you're slow."

Reminds me of a joke my uncle told me.

"It may not be very big around, bit its short."