Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Where should Ifedi play>

RT
10
14%
RG
49
69%
Other
12
17%
 
Total votes : 71

POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm
  • We have had a few too many polls on this board lately, but I'm just curious where people think Germain Ifedi should play going forward.

    Ifedi played RG as a rookie and RT last season. At the end of last season, Carroll said he hoped Ifedi would be able to stay at RG. However, in his most recent press conference, Carroll said he was interested to see Ifedi as a "2nd-year tackle."

    *Credit to the venerable "originalposter" for the excellent videos on Solari discussing tackles vs guards.




    Solari managed to coach 6'8 Alex Boone into a very good RG, in part because he lacked the ideal lateral agility to play OT. IMO, playing Ifedi at tackle led to a lot of false starts and holding calls because he was beaten more often on the outside due to his limited lateral agility (Ifedi had the same short shuttle as James Carpenter). For this reason, I predicted that Ifedi would rack up a lot more penalties at tackle than he did at guard. Generally, I think Ifedi plays with pretty good leverage, knee bend, north-south explosiveness, etc.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 937
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:46 pm
  • Maybe with a real OL coach he might actually become a decent tackle.
    Image
    User avatar
    RussB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2589
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:47 pm
  • For what it's worth I think Boone is available
    TreeRon
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm
  • I think he should play unrestricted FA. His position would be Walmart greeter, though I'm sure he'd find a way to get a penalty doing that as well. After eight hours when he goes three and out he can ride his couch.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2218
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:07 pm
  • Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1297
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 pm
  • Fade wrote:Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.


    I think you know I'm going to say this: Anthony Davis had WAY BETTER lateral agility than Ifedi.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 937
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm
  • As my coach used to say, his natural position is Left Bench.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4736
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm
  • Center
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3293
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:As my coach used to say, his natural position is Left Bench.

    My old coach used to say "You're short, but you're slow."
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1567
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 pm
  • Other.

    My vote is for SG

    (security guard)
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4409
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm
  • He’d look good on the waiver wire


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    User avatar
    AKNFidel
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 42
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 am
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fade wrote:Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.


    I think you know I'm going to say this: Anthony Davis had WAY BETTER lateral agility than Ifedi.


    Way better? No. He weighed 350 pounds and had heavy feet like Ifedi. Speed rushers gave him trouble.

    What he was way better at than Ifedi is technique, and playing with leverage which helps mitigate that weakness.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1297
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm
  • I think he should play his radio in his car as he goes somewhere else.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 665
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Fade wrote:Give Solari a chance to fix him at Tackle first. He had a very similar player in Anthony Davis at SF.


    I think you know I'm going to say this: Anthony Davis had WAY BETTER lateral agility than Ifedi.


    Not sure about agility, but Ifedi seems to have more desire than Anthony Davis, which might make Ifedi more willing to learn.
    toffee
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 442
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm
  • Ifedi is an interior lineman. PERIOD. he could play center easier than tackle.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1572
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 pm
  • I'd give him another shot at RT. Offensive lineman often take years to develop. Britt, Unger, Carpenter, and Sweezy all looked awful into their second years before becoming servicable. Give him more than a year at a single position.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    User avatar
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3161
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:I'd give him another shot at RT. Offensive lineman often take years to develop. Britt, Unger, Carpenter, and Sweezy all looked awful into their second years before becoming servicable. Give him more than a year at a single position.



    I agree. I would give him another shot at RT.
    L.O.B.
    User avatar
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm
  • raisethe3 wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:I'd give him another shot at RT. Offensive lineman often take years to develop. Britt, Unger, Carpenter, and Sweezy all looked awful into their second years before becoming servicable. Give him more than a year at a single position.

    I agree. I would give him another shot at RT.


    In Solari I trust, if our new OL coach decided to dump Ifedi, I am cool with it.
    toffee
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 442
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 pm
  • I think he gets trained up and takes Joeckel's spot at guard, and starts to tear it up. Call me crazy, Pocic looks like an athletic tackle to me. Pocic probably becomes the jack of all trades though, back-up C, G, and T.
    Last edited by crosfam on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    crosfam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 359
    Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:45 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:As my coach used to say, his natural position is Left Bench.

    My old coach used to say "You're short, but you're slow."


    Reminds me of a joke my uncle told me.

    "It may not be very big around, bit its short."
    User avatar
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1974
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 am
  • Does Ifedi have good hands? If so, maybe they could try him at a skill position. As a wideout or tight end for example, he would be tough for the little DBs to tackle. At running back, he'd be a real grinder, and a dual threat receiving out of the backfield.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1340
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 am
  • Solari has been known to teach what some have called "power zone blocking." That features more man-up, drive blocking. He’s liked big, road grader-like guards inside, with some zone-blocking principles at center and outside with quicker, athletic tackles.

    That would suggest Solari could move Germain Ifedi back to guard. Ifedi spent 2017 flailing and often failing at right tackle as the league’s most penalized player. The Seahawks’ top draft choice in 2016 played right guard as a rookie. Though Ifedi also struggled then, he wasn’t nearly the liability he often was this past season while slow to get out on the league’s fastest, best edge pass rushers.

    Solari could also move 2017 rookie guard Ethan Pocic and his 6-foot-6 athleticism and versatility to tackle. Lack of strength was one of Pocic’s issues inside at guard this past season.

    Solari’s system in the past has been less about thinking than the typical zone-blocking scheme that Cable and, in 2010 for Carroll, Alex Gibbs employed with the Seahawks. Solari’s been more about driving your man into the ground.

    The Seahawks could use more driving guys into the ground.


    http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 11714.html
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4527
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 am
  • I can see Ifedi at RG and Jordan Roos at LG going into next season. I can also see them drafting another "guy" in the 4th or 5th rounds for the interior.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 41
    Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:*Credit to the venerable "originalposter" for the excellent videos on Solari discussing tackles vs guards.


    You're too kind :)


    For reference, I think Ifedi get's a lot of undeserved criticism, he is absolutely not anywhere near as bad as the vast majority will make you believe, very much a snowball situation where the negativity towards him has grown such momentum that people say it just because everyone else is.

    I think he will 100% be a guard next season, very possibly between Brown and Britt.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3065
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 am
  • Duane Brown. 6'4/6'5, 303lbs, 33 inch arm length.
    Germaine Ifedi. 6'5/6'6, 324lbs, 36 inch arm length.

    Don't be surprised if he stays at RT and Solari tries to fix his footwork fundamentals.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4550
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:38 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:Duane Brown. 6'4/6'5, 303lbs, 33 inch arm length.
    Germaine Ifedi. 6'5/6'6, 324lbs, 36 inch arm length.

    Don't be surprised if he stays at RT and Solari tries to fix his footwork fundamentals.


    raw strength or measurement wasn't Ifedi's problems. I think his lack of fundamental football iq may be part of his problem ... from high school, to A&M, to Hawks he has played on OL for a long time. Quite sure coaches along the way tried to teach as much as they could. Ifedi shouldn't lack skill, but he appeared to.
    toffee
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 442
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Duane Brown. 6'4/6'5, 303lbs, 33 inch arm length.
    Germaine Ifedi. 6'5/6'6, 324lbs, 36 inch arm length.

    Don't be surprised if he stays at RT and Solari tries to fix his footwork fundamentals.


    raw strength or measurement wasn't Ifedi's problems. I think his lack of fundamental football iq may be part of his problem ... from high school, to A&M, to Hawks he has played on OL for a long time. Quite sure coaches along the way tried to teach as much as they could. Ifedi shouldn't lack skill, but he appeared to.

    After listening to Ray Roberts explaining how easy it is to overlook the small things in Coaching technique, Ya got to wonder if Ifedi's earlier Coaching was also inadequate, and maybe, just maybe, Solari can fill in a lot of holes for his learning process.
    I think that there's a lot of "Dirt Bag" in Ifedi, that just needs to be Coached to the surface :twisted:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6561
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Duane Brown. 6'4/6'5, 303lbs, 33 inch arm length.
    Germaine Ifedi. 6'5/6'6, 324lbs, 36 inch arm length.

    Don't be surprised if he stays at RT and Solari tries to fix his footwork fundamentals.


    raw strength or measurement wasn't Ifedi's problems. I think his lack of fundamental football iq may be part of his problem ... from high school, to A&M, to Hawks he has played on OL for a long time. Quite sure coaches along the way tried to teach as much as they could. Ifedi shouldn't lack skill, but he appeared to.

    After listening to Ray Roberts explaining how easy it is to overlook the small things in Coaching technique, Ya got to wonder if Ifedi's earlier Coaching was also inadequate, and maybe, just maybe, Solari can fill in a lot of holes for his learning process.
    I think that there's a lot of "Dirt Bag" in Ifedi, that just needs to be Coached to the surface :twisted:


    After listening to Solari's video, I am having this fantasy that we should have shorter Center and guards to help our QB. If our C and guards are like 6'1 or so, sure makes it easier than bunch of 6'6" dudes.
    toffee
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 442
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm
  • AKNFidel wrote:He’d look good on the waiver wire


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


    He'll be on the bench or playing, to big of a cap hit to get rid of him.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 524
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:39 pm
  • With his hero Duane and now Solari,doesnt Germaine now have better influences than 12 months ago ?So i go tackle.
    User avatar
    daveyoung52
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 158
    Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 am
    Location: u.k.


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm
  • Ifedi's fate at Tackle could very well come down to what the Hawks come away with in Free Agency. If Seattle doesn't come away with a Free Agent Tackle, I then fully expect Ifedi to be the starting RT this season.

    Free Agency will reveal the answer.
    User avatar
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1297
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: POLL: Should Ifedi play RT or RG?
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm
  • I don't want to see him at guard again. He is massive, but he is not a guard. Keep him at tackle and let him "learn" some new technique.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 892
    Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:14 am




It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online