Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

RB movements and adjustments under Schottenheimer and Solari

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Last off season, Pete and front office put major emphasis to improve running. Invested in new OL guards Joeckel and almost got Lang, signed new RB in Lacy, drafted Carson. Result was total failure .... led to the ouster of Bevell and Cable.

This off season, we have a new OL coach that had success in coaching OL with great running games, an OC with past emphasis on runs.

Quite sure Lacy will be cut, Rawls? Will Carson came back strong or lost a step or two? Will we use a full time FB?

Thoughts?
    toffee
    NET Starter

• Prosise is going to have a huge role IF he can stay healthy. He targets the running backs out of the backfield frequently. If not Prosise someone will benefit from his system.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

• IF Pete is getting back to the heart of his philosophy, he will draft someone that will make them all compete and perform better. I look to see Guice or Freeman on the roster for fall.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• A great OL can make any mediocre RB looked good, but a great RB can also make mediocre OL looked good. It may be cheaper to invest in a great RB than to invest in a number of offensive linemen. May be Marshawn hided some of our OL deficiencies when he was in his prime?

Any trade or draft prospect for that one great RB?
    toffee
    NET Starter

• toffee wrote:A great OL can make any mediocre RB looked good, but a great RB can also make mediocre OL looked good. It may be cheaper to invest in a great RB than to invest in a number of offensive linemen. May be Marshawn hided some of our OL deficiencies when he was in his prime?

Royce Freeman in the draft

Bishop Sankey is a RFA and could be picked up cheap LOVED him in college

LaGarrette Blount

Le'Veon Bell

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:A great OL can make any mediocre RB looked good, but a great RB can also make mediocre OL looked good. It may be cheaper to invest in a great RB than to invest in a number of offensive linemen. May be Marshawn hided some of our OL deficiencies when he was in his prime?

Either Georgia running back. Guice from LSU would be decent, as well.

I'm partial to Nick Chubb.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    toffee wrote:A great OL can make any mediocre RB looked good, but a great RB can also make mediocre OL looked good. It may be cheaper to invest in a great RB than to invest in a number of offensive linemen. May be Marshawn hided some of our OL deficiencies when he was in his prime?

LaGarrette Blount

Le'Veon Bell

Is Le'Veon Bell even available? Can we afford to sign him?
    toffee
    NET Starter

• toffee wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    toffee wrote:A great OL can make any mediocre RB looked good, but a great RB can also make mediocre OL looked good. It may be cheaper to invest in a great RB than to invest in a number of offensive linemen. May be Marshawn hided some of our OL deficiencies when he was in his prime?

LaGarrette Blount

Le'Veon Bell

Pittsburgh has brought up that they'll slap the tag on him, even if they didn't he supposedly wants 15mil.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

LaGarrette Blount

Le'Veon Bell

Pittsburgh has brought up that they'll slap the tag on him, even if they didn't he supposedly wants 15mil.

Doesn't sound like he will be our guy, we can't afford to sign him ..... and with our OL, he may not want to join us.
    toffee
    NET Starter

• Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:

LaGarrette Blount

Le'Veon Bell

Saw an article that quoted him saying he would retire from the NFL if he was to be franchised again, and yeah we cannot afford him either way.
    GOHAWKS

CoolRodney wrote:This team has 3 talented players. That's it. I still can't believe we totally blew it in the Super Bowl. We won't be back any time soon.
    stizz19
    NET Rookie

• As I said in another thread, I'd like a trade with Cleveland and draft the best RB available with 33 and the best interior lineman with 63.

The draft is pretty deep at RB and interior OL, thankfully.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Lacy, Rawls-gone
    Carson-lock
    Prosise, Mckissic,Davis and a late rounder-battle for 3 spots.

Good OL is way more important then good running back in my mind. Todd Gurley sucked in 2016, they brought in some OL help now he's a MVP candidate.
    Cowboys lose Zeke, Rod Smith and Alford Morris still look good. I'm not oppose to investing in a back but I'd rather on OL and find that Kareem Hunt/Tevon Coleman/Alvin Kamara type talent in the middle of the draft.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Guice from LSU would fit in so nice here. Dude is a beast.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm more interested in seeing who they bring in at FB.

Schotty is going to want better than converted DL there, I'd think.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2017/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=RB
    Free agent RB.

I'd like them to take a look at Isaiah Crowell personally. He's got the size they like (5'11" 225) and is 1 year removed from leading the league in breakaway runs. He just turned 25 in January.

DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Forget Guice. We need to draft OL. Should be fairly obvious that it needs to be addressed as we are not going anywhere with the current lineup.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    toffee wrote:http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2017/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=RB
    Free agent RB.

I'd like them to take a look at Isaiah Crowell personally. He's got the size they like (5'11" 225) and is 1 year removed from leading the league in breakaway runs. He just turned 25 in January.

Carlos Hyde?
    toffee
    NET Starter

• toffee wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    toffee wrote:http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2017/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=RB
    Free agent RB.

Carlos Hyde?

Hyde for me is just kinda "meh". He's always hurt it seems. Although Latavius Murray was kind of the same for me and he has been good for Minnesota. Hyde is also 27 already (28 next September), so it'd have to be a short deal.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• I would like to see Blount here for two years. He is at the end of his career but he could give us two good seasons as we prep new running back’s. The guy is a beast and he is never hurt. I think his attitude fit in perfect with our team.

Even if we run a committee of running back’s he would fit in perfect.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

• zchurch74 wrote:I would like to see Blount here for two years. He is at the end of his career but he could give us two good seasons as we prep new running back’s. The guy is a beast and he is never hurt. I think his attitude fit in perfect with our team.

Even if we run a committee of running back’s he would fit in perfect.

There's a reason The Pats let him go.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Anyone knows Isaiah Crowell's running style? pros and cons?
    toffee
    NET Starter

• austinslater25 wrote:Prosise is going to have a huge role IF he can stay healthy. He targets the running backs out of the backfield frequently. If not Prosise someone will benefit from his system.

Mcissick can catch and run routes just like procise and he actually stays healthy. Procise will be cut.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• I may be a homer, but I'd love to see what they could do with Jaylen Samuels from NC State. Played TE, RB, Slot, FB at 5'11'' and 223lbs. Could see him putting on 10-15 lbs if necessary. If they get lucky, might see him in mid rounds cause he doesn't really fit a specific mold for every team and I'll take Walter's projection with a grain of salt.

Draft profile
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2018FB.php

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/NCState_logo.gif

Jaylen Samuels, FB, N.C. State
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 223.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
    Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

1/13/18: Samuels totaled 76 receptions for 597 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. On the ground, he averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 403 yards and 12 touchdowns. Samuels accepted an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl.

Samuels is a unique prospect for the next level. The senior is listed as a tight end, plays some H-back, takes carries out of the backfield, and also gets split out wide. In speaking with scouts, they like Samuels, and some think that his best fit would come as a third-down running back. They think he has really good hands, is a nice receiver, and could also run the rock in those situations. They think that Samuels could be tried as a fullback as well. Samuels is a good route-runner with subtle quickness and athleticism that makes him a mismatch weapon. Samuels could be a steal as a passing weapon on Day 2.

lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:As I said in another thread, I'd like a trade with Cleveland and draft the best RB available with 33 and the best interior lineman with 63.

The draft is pretty deep at RB and interior OL, thankfully.

There are some hard hitting Safeties too.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Guice from LSU would fit in so nice here. Dude is a beast.

I worry about his ability to change direction.

Schotty coached at Georgia...bet we get one of them.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• LJ Scott is disappointing in that he's not entering the draft this year. Dude mades some uncanny very subtle millisecond type moves in very tight spaces in traffic. The comparisons to Bell are warranted in this case, I think. He won't light up the combine, but his RB processor works at lighting fast reaction time often enough.

Next year.

Starting to come around to the idea of Freeman maybe in the 4th round, if he's still there. Still don't like some of his tendancies, but he wouldn't be starting right away. Playing behind a bully like Carson could really show him what he's supposed to act like.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Changing my mind again. I'll take Rashaad Penny in the 3rd. It's also entirely possible that it might take a 2nd to get him. His combine will make his draft status go way, way up. Hopefully people stay in love with Guice and Chubb and what not. I wouldn't take either over Penny.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• This is just a highlight, but the vs vids are also impressive. Particularly against Stanford and ASU, who shut down UW. You have legit speed and acceleration in a 220 pound back. Attacks angles and changes them. Kind of a slippery tackles breaker vs the sort of grill punch that Carson does. Not quite as good of a pass blocker as Carson, but Penny is already splitting out wide as a WR quite often at SDSU. Somewhat polished for a college back. A Carson Penny 1-2 looks really good in my head right now.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Right now, I think the best overall football players at RB are:

1 Barkley
    2a Penny
    2b Whoa whoa whoa my Michel

Guice and Chubb are somewhere behind those top 3. Freeman is a better athlete than Guice and Chubb, but doesn't run with the physicality and vision you wish he would or at least not consistently. Sometimes he does and you ask why he isn't better...why isn't he a first rounder even.

Still have no idea where to put Kerryon Johnson.

There's the Alabama RBs and then you also have Gaskin, Love, and other smaller backs.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Hadn't really looked at Ronald Jones II until now. Seems like there's a little bit of Jamaal Charles in there. Watch Andy Reid be all over that and then never give him or Hunt the ball in the playoffs.

That's always been Andy's crutch. He'll forget to run the ball in the playoffs for no apparent reason and lose. Same story every time and he never learns.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:Changing my mind again. I'll take Rashaad Penny in the 3rd. It's also entirely possible that it might take a 2nd to get him. His combine will make his draft status go way, way up. Hopefully people stay in love with Guice and Chubb and what not. I wouldn't take either over Penny.

I agree. I believe that Penny is very underrated. He went to the school that had likes of Marshall Faulk. I think Penny will be a better back than Faulk was. I believe he is the best back in the draft. Plus he offers kick return ability. Imagine Penny and Lockett back there. I think he's going to be a late first rounder or 2nd round pick when all is said and done.

Plus if the Seahawks get him, when the OL opens a hole for him, we can call it "Penny Lane". Hopefully Penny lane leads to a lot of TDs.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Wow! Penny is impressive. Dude has some serious breakaway speed. How is he as a power runner though?
    "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not." - Yoda
    WarHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• WarHawks wrote:Wow! Penny is impressive. Dude has some serious breakaway speed. How is he as a power runner though?

Good leg drive and sort of slips off or falls off tacklers. He can try to do too much at time at the LOS looking for the long TD, but even then will break tackles. He doesn't just staight up truck people like Carson, but definitely has power and leg drive. He twists and contorts and keeps forward momentum.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Big Harvin.

I think I got it. Has sort of the same lean when he runs, stride is the same, legs whip really fast. Acceleration takes people by surprise and they lose the angle. Yeah....take Harvin and put about 25 extra pounds on him.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• IMO- Drafting Rashaad Penny and a stout OG with their first few picks will completely fix the running game for years to come. Penny has significant "Burst" and the ability to get up to top speed quickly. I think the combine will show this.
    :smilingalien:
    **MY 2018 ADOPT A ROOKIE: RB-RASHAAD PENNEY, THE NEXT GREAT SEAHAWK RB.**
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• I find the title of this vid sort of amusing. I remember people telling me how fast McCaffrey was and I said, "Yeah...probably runs a 4.5 at the combine." It's funny how people automatically think things that aren't true just because of some profile of smaller backs and all that. Love is also a 4.5 flat guy, I'm pretty sure. Not a tackle breaker at the next level, like McCaffrey. He'll be overdrafted like McCaffrey too.

As a RB you have to be exceptional at something or have an overall combination that's sufficient. LeSean McCoy is an example of a kid who was smallish, 4.6 40, not very strong, but you put on the tape and he just has impeccable timing and natural know how. You have guys who are burners. You have guys who can run people over, guys who are really quick, but you have to have something that is really elite or an overall combination. Just not seeing it with Love...just like McCaffrey. 4th round would be fair return on investment in sort of a "safe" bet where you have little chance of getting more than you bargained for. Anything beyond that 4th round and you have reached. Carolina reached. He's not a top end NFL RB.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Forget Penny, I want some of those linemen that were opening huge holes for him
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• This is going to sound crazy, but if you took C-Mike and polished him up strictly as an overall football player, you might get something like Sony Michel (It wasn't subliminal). C-Mike tested out as the single highest SPARQ RB of all time, or since they started testing it or retrofitting numbers of all time and other backs and what not. C-Mike tested even higher than Ladanian Thomlinson, which is a crazy feat.

I don't know that Sony Michel will test out as well as C-Mike. No one actually has, but Michel will test really well and has some similar traits, if you polished it up as a more consistent overall FOOTBALL player.

Watched a lot of his vs vids now and I think he's now ahead of Penny and behind Barkley still. This is a VERY good overall football player. Does it all and I still don't think he's scratched the surface. Yeah, this has got to be the #2 back in the draft.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I remember Sweetness was like the embodiment of the physical manifestation of will, drive and determination that just happened to be accompanied by a hell of a lot of physical and mental innate talent.

Then I also remembered Barry Sanders coming into the league and the very real thought then was, "Well how the hell do you even defend against that?"

Seen a lot of good backs since. I still think Ladanian Thomlinson is one of the more talented ones since among some of my other favorites including Beast Mode (Again, "how do you defend that?). They played in a more overall talented league and the margins grew smaller from that time period from saturation.

Saquon Barkley has a level of talent that many a previous RB just don't have. There's a real ascension above the playing field that's pretty clearly visible. The question with him, like any other RB, is if he can stay healthy. Emmitt Smith was never the best RB at any point in any of those many years, IMO, but his durability, toughness in willing to play with injury, and longevity (along with one of the all time great OLs for most of his career) inevitably puts him at the top of the list.

Also, Barkley might have some sort of rabies that he got from a puma that had a cocaine habit.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Guice is pretty much Rawls. That might be a draw for some.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• This is the Alien.

Completely unorthodox body style. Haven't really seen it since Marcus Allen, with all that legginess. It does seem to work though. Smart player that seems to do the right thing at the right time. Now that I think about it, Alexander was quite a leggy RB that wasn't pretty, but effective for quite a while.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:Guice is pretty much Rawls. That might be a draw for some.

Guice is a red flag for me. His tape is okay, not great. His athleticism is deceptively poor. His short shuttle is 4.66 which is... just nasty. Very low SPARQ guy. We'll see how he does at combine, but I think he's a 4.55-4.60 in the dash, low explosion and agility guy who isn't worth the high pick.

Chubb is an absolute monster. Michel is athletic enough and well-rounded. Royce Freeman is a big man with great athleticism who's tape does not impress me at all. Ronald Jones is a home-run hitter with legit high 4.3 speed.

I wouldn't touch Guice until the 4th. He may very well prove me wrong, but I think his ceiling is probably "slightly above average." I know I said he'd be decent earlier in the thread, but upon deeper digging, I'm not keen on him.
    Last edited by Maelstrom787 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Weird. Another leggy alien. Almost like a Terrell Owens type body, but playing RB. This is now two of them in the same draft.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• With Chubb, you have to think he can get back to 2016 form. His 2017 self was lacking in short area explosiveness and was a bit of a plotter. He was slow. He was a different player in 2016.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Looking at this is relevant. Not only for Chubb and Michel, but just in general.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• toffee wrote:Last off season, Pete and front office put major emphasis to improve running. Invested in new OL guards Joeckel and almost got Lang, signed new RB in Lacy, drafted Carson. Result was total failure .... led to the ouster of Bevell and Cable.

This off season, we have a new OL coach that had success in coaching OL with great running games, an OC with past emphasis on runs.

Quite sure Lacy will be cut, Rawls? Will Carson came back strong or lost a step or two? Will we use a full time FB?

Thoughts?

I still think we might draft a RB in the first round, I'm 50/50 on that decision as I believe an edge rusher, again is still the most important with no telling if Malik, Bennett or Avril will ever play for Seattle again.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Last off season, Pete and front office put major emphasis to improve running. Invested in new OL guards Joeckel and almost got Lang, signed new RB in Lacy, drafted Carson. Result was total failure .... led to the ouster of Bevell and Cable.

Thoughts?

I still think we might draft a RB in the first round, I'm 50/50 on that decision as I believe an edge rusher, again is still the most important with no telling if Malik, Bennett or Avril will ever play for Seattle again.

If you can predict this teams draft, you’re a genius. If I ran the team, I would be gunning for a replacement for Bam Bam.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Last off season, Pete and front office put major emphasis to improve running. Invested in new OL guards Joeckel and almost got Lang, signed new RB in Lacy, drafted Carson. Result was total failure .... led to the ouster of Bevell and Cable.

Thoughts?

If you can predict this teams draft, you’re a genius. If I ran the team, I would be gunning for a replacement for Bam Bam.

Not if Bradley McDougald takes his natural position at strong safety. I do think we need depth there though yes, just don't think we would go there round 1.

Seahawks will probably trade down like always.

Not gona get Barkley past top 10 and while I like Michel, most have him at 2nd or 3rd round. Would be cool to get him there plus an edge rusher.

Specifically... trade down for (1) 2nd and (1) 3rd round pick.

Draft an Edge Rusher at 2 and hope Michel is around at 3. Draft is deep with quality edge rushers.

Unfortunately, I could see Pete overriding everyone and drafting Arden Key because he's had off the field issues and Pete LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS projects.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• The OL is going to take some time to reboot from Cable's way to Solari's way. They will improve under Solari. They need a rb that has quick acceleration. Someone who can hit the LOS fast. Ronald Jones and Sony Michel look to be those guys. Rashaad Penny looks to have some of that too. Thomas Rawls had very quick acceleration prior to his injuries. Post-injury he wasn't as quick plus starting dancing a lot. He developed poor habits. Acceleration wasn't an issue for Lynch because usually one player couldn't take him down. He was able to drag people forward most of the times. Lynch didn't have to be fast because he was superb with balance.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information