Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

OL movements and adjustments under Solari??

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Here's what I'd like to see:

LT: Duane Brown -- This guy is the real deal. You saw that as soon as he stepped on the field for us, then you saw him struggle slightly under Tom Cable's influence. I think with Cable gone he will recover to be the anchor of this line.

LG: Jordan Roos -- Honestly I haven't looked closely at this guy's tape, so I'm going on hearsay. I heard a lot of good things about his play when he had opportunities during the season.

C: Justin Britt -- He had a down year but I think he can be solid with the right Coaching. I've seen him do some good things over the past two years.

RG: Ethan Pocic -- From what I saw this year I think he has potential but really needs to develop his strength and power.

RT: George Fant, Mitch Hyatt (R) or Isaiah Wynn (R) -- I really liked George Fant before he went down, but the criticisms of him are legitimate. He is athletic but seems to lack fundamental concepts of blocking, like angles and leverage. Which really surprised me because, as a basketball player, he should be able to think about blocking in terms of man-to-man defense and blocking out. Ah, well, I'd give him a chance but there are two tackles I really like in this draft, namely Mitch Hyatt from Clemson and Isaiah Wynn from Georgia. Notice Ifedi is nowhere to be seen. That is because he was terrible at A&M, before Cable ever got ahold of him. Can Solari fix/help him? Maybe. Hopefully. I just have never seen him show that he has a fundamental understanding of how to block, either at the pro level or college. He's just got the measureables. I say f*ck the measureables, you have to have ability and an understanding of the game and the position!

So, lot of question marks, I know. A lot of this counts on Solari being some sort of lineman-whisperer. That's fine, I'm cautiously optimistic. This line doesn't need to be good, just average. I will tell you all this: Leonard Fournette would have done NOTHING behind our line this year. He would have been hit 3 yds deep in the backfield and would have struggled like the rest of them. In Jacksonville, they had a very average line. Here are the guys: Cam Robinson, Pat Omameh, Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Jermey Parnell. Any of those guys jump off the page at you as All-Pros? They've got a lot of accolades this year because of Fournette, but the truth is that they are an average line with an awesome back. And Fournette is awesome. All you need to do is get him to the Line of Scrimmage, which is what they do.

Their pass protection is mostly average I believe, though they looked like studs against Seattle's anemic rush.

My point is that you don't need superstars. None of these JAX guys are super highly compensated. Linder makes a little less than Duane Brown, Parnell makes less than Britt, the rest are all payed peanuts. They didn't have to be great, they had to be good enough, and they were.

I'm really hoping Solari can turn this thing around. If he can at least protect Russ, I'll take it. The Seahawks, IMO, were more capable than any other team in the NFC playoffs except for two areas: Kicker and Offensive Line/Run Game. This year was a lost opportunity because of a few stupid decisions by the FO and the Coaching Staff.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• It's pretty clear the OL needs to be improved everywhere, but the interior really stands out here in the run game.

massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:It's pretty clear the OL needs to be improved everywhere, but the interior really stands out here in the run game.

I would say everywhere was bad, 1.5 minimum seems to be the breaking point between decent and good.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• How long is Fant under club control?

Also, Britt at guard is a big no no. He struggled at center this year, so moving him back to guard sounds like a mistake. Even if he was better, he would still be pretty bad.

Geoff, I really like your post about the JAX OL. I've been wondering the same thing. There are NO excuses for how shit our line has been when you see how cheap the Jags OL is and they invested lesser draft picks than we did! They also stonewalled the Pats (not saying much), and the Steelers (led the league in sacks!), so they did well when it counted. My dream would be to see a considerable jump in OL play just by switching to Solari
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:How long is Fant under club control?

Also, Britt at guard is a big no no. He struggled at center this year, so moving him back to guard sounds like a mistake. Even if he was better, he would still be pretty bad.

Geoff, I really like your post about the JAX OL. I've been wondering the same thing. There are NO excuses for how shit our line has been when you see how cheap the Jags OL is and they invested lesser draft picks than we did! They also stonewalled the Pats (not saying much), and the Steelers (led the league in sacks!), so they did well when it counted. My dream would be to see a considerable jump in OL play just by switching to Solari

Fant is a restricted free agent in 2019.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I know Walter is probably enjoying his well-earned retirement, but man it would be great to see him come back to consult or coach. Even in a minor role. "Ya'll better score or I'm going to kill you", right? That's the kind of motivation and tenacity we need.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Fant is already 6 months into recovery, the minimum recovery time, I bet he is already chomping at the bit to get going if not already. Great benefit for him to sit behind and watch Brown.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Not sure Fant makes sense on the right side. LT is more finesse, RT is more about power.
    Last edited by HawkGA on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• I would not be surprised to see Fant cut in camp along with a 100% player turnover in 3 seasons.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:It's pretty clear the OL needs to be improved everywhere, but the interior really stands out here in the run game.

Cable need realize the interior Guards' play was lacking in last off season, just that they couldn't at Lang and they overpaid Joeckel, compounded with Brit had an off year. Cable paid with his job, mostly because Joeckel was a joke.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Fluker would be nice pickup, dude is familiar with Solari's system.
    http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Gia ... 3dffda5219

toffee
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Roos was bad.

Roos looked good in his small amount of playing time. He would have been our 3rd highest rated lineman, behind Duane Brown and Justin Britt, if you extrapolated that small sample size over the course of a full season.

He is one of the better athletes on the roster in terms of strength/agility. He did not allow a single pressure on 48 snaps. He seemed to mirror much better in pass pro than Joeckel or Pocic. During his end-of-season presser, Carroll specifically mentioned Roos as someone he was "pumped" to see get an opportunity to play.

But it's a very small sample, so we'll have to wait and see.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Roos was bad.

Roos looked good in his small amount of playing time. He would have been our 3rd highest rated lineman, behind Duane Brown and Justin Britt, if you extrapolated that small sample size over the course of a full season.

He is one of the better athletes on the roster in terms of strength/agility. He did not allow a single pressure on 48 snaps. He seemed to mirror much better in pass pro than Joeckel or Pocic. During his end-of-season presser, Carroll specifically mentioned Roos as someone he was "pumped" to see get an opportunity to play.

Every time I see a Carrol reference like this it means two things to me, either he is blowing wind or knew he was a better player but did not use his position to influence him being on the field more.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Roos was bad.

Every time I see a Carrol reference like this it means two things to me, either he is blowing wind or knew he was a better player but did not use his position to influence him being on the field more.

It's tough to know how well a backup undrafted rookie lineman will play until he actually gets that opportunity. Point is Roos looked good in short action. He was a priority UDFA signing. Not sure why someone would say he is "bad," other the fact that he didn't get that opportunity until the end of the season because Cable was concerned about being "too young."
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• It's tough to know how well a backup undrafted rookie lineman will play until he actually gets that opportunity. Point is Roos looked good in short action. He was a priority UDFA signing. Not sure why someone would say he is "bad," other the fact that he didn't get that opportunity until the end of the season because Cable was concerned about being "too young."

Considering what we put on the field last year anything less then a living body was going to be an improvement over what was out there, hell maybe a dead body, at least we have the possibly trip hazard instead of the revolving door that was playing.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    It's tough to know how well a backup undrafted rookie lineman will play until he actually gets that opportunity. Point is Roos looked good in short action. He was a priority UDFA signing. Not sure why someone would say he is "bad," other the fact that he didn't get that opportunity until the end of the season because Cable was concerned about being "too young."

Considering what we put on the field last year anything less then a living body was going to be an improvement over what was out there, hell maybe a dead body, at least we have the possibly trip hazard instead of the revolving door that was playing.

The "Sunk Cost Fallacy" may have played some role in Cable and the team's decision making. Joeckel and Pocic were huge investments, while Roos was an undrafted rookie on a minimum deal. They planned to redshirt Roos and failed to deviate from that course.

I'm concerned that Pocic will never look adequate, unless he gets time at the center position. Unfortunately, he does not appear strong enough to play guard or quick enough to play tackle. I would rather use him as a utility guy, in the event of an injury, than plug him in as a starter again.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:

Fable already tried the 5 dead body trick....here is how that worked out.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Fable already tried the 5 dead body trick....here is how that worked out.

Only because Cable failed to teach not to tell the opposition they were falling on their face before the snap.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• we need more intelligent guys who can read defenses better.....current o-line is terrible and picking up the blitz
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:we need more intelligent guys who can read defenses better.....current o-line is terrible and picking up the blitz

Well yeah, they are terrible at all aspects of blocking so that makes sense.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Crap, they just called another Hold on Ifedi.......... :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm curious to see if Solari keeps Britt at center. I'm not sold on Britt at center and believe that Pocic is the better option. Yes, Britt was good in 2016 but the interior blocking has suffered since Britt took over at center. The running game has become a weak spot since Britt was moved to center. He's a factor in a weaker interior of the line. Should be interesting how things change under Solari. I won't be surprised if Pocic takes over at center this season. The Seahawks have had trouble running up the middle under Cable's watch. That's why they struggle in short yardage and goal line situations. Hopefully Solari fixes that - either with an improved Britt at center or without him there.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• CHawkTailGator wrote:Pocic was a center at LSU. You really think he has the footwork and quicks to be a RT?
    Yes.
    gmor
    NET Rookie

• gmor wrote:
    CHawkTailGator wrote:Pocic was a center at LSU. You really think he has the footwork and quicks to be a RT?
    Yes.

I am not as sold on Pocic as some of you guys. Lucky for Pocic that we have Ifedi the problemed child, Ifedi took all the bad press and fan frustration. Pocic committed as much erros at guard, don't see how he could perform better as tackle. As bad as Ifedi has been, I would like to see him at RT for the training camp. Some players flip a switch at some point in their career, hopefully Ifedi is one of them. As for Pocic, can try him out at center, not sure how his lack of raw strength will help our interior running game though.

I basically give Pocic's RT experiment a C-, which could be considered as generous. I am quite pump for Roos, if dude can have a whole season of performance at the same level as his limited downs in last season. We have found a LG.

If we can get Fluker from the Giants, then a OL of Ifedi, Flucker, Britt, Roos, and Brown could be very serviceable. Pocic can fill in at multiple positions.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• gmor wrote:
    CHawkTailGator wrote:Pocic was a center at LSU. You really think he has the footwork and quicks to be a RT?
    Yes.

I was pushing for that early on last season. But after watching Pocic actually play, paying more attention to his movement, and seeing his slow combine times, I'm not so sure.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:I'm curious to see if Solari keeps Britt at center. I'm not sold on Britt at center and believe that Pocic is the better option. Yes, Britt was good in 2016 but the interior blocking has suffered since Britt took over at center. The running game has become a weak spot since Britt was moved to center. He's a factor in a weaker interior of the line. Should be interesting how things change under Solari. I won't be surprised if Pocic takes over at center this season. The Seahawks have had trouble running up the middle under Cable's watch. That's why they struggle in short yardage and goal line situations. Hopefully Solari fixes that - either with an improved Britt at center or without him there.

I'm still trying to figure out why they gave Britt such a big contract. Looks like a big reach to me.
    gmor
    NET Rookie

• toffee wrote:Cable paid with his job, mostly because cable was a joke.

FIFY
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• gmor wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I'm curious to see if Solari keeps Britt at center. I'm not sold on Britt at center and believe that Pocic is the better option. Yes, Britt was good in 2016 but the interior blocking has suffered since Britt took over at center. The running game has become a weak spot since Britt was moved to center. He's a factor in a weaker interior of the line. Should be interesting how things change under Solari. I won't be surprised if Pocic takes over at center this season. The Seahawks have had trouble running up the middle under Cable's watch. That's why they struggle in short yardage and goal line situations. Hopefully Solari fixes that - either with an improved Britt at center or without him there.

I'm still trying to figure out why they gave Britt such a big contract. Looks like a big reach to me.

Because he was one of only two guys (if you include the later mid-season acquisition of Duane Brown) who played competently on the offensive line over the last two seasons.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    gmor wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I'm curious to see if Solari keeps Britt at center. I'm not sold on Britt at center and believe that Pocic is the better option. Yes, Britt was good in 2016 but the interior blocking has suffered since Britt took over at center. The running game has become a weak spot since Britt was moved to center. He's a factor in a weaker interior of the line. Should be interesting how things change under Solari. I won't be surprised if Pocic takes over at center this season. The Seahawks have had trouble running up the middle under Cable's watch. That's why they struggle in short yardage and goal line situations. Hopefully Solari fixes that - either with an improved Britt at center or without him there.

Because he was one of only two guys (if you include the later mid-season acquisition of Duane Brown) who played competently on the offensive line over the last two seasons.

If Ifeldi cleans up 30% of his errors under new coaching with improved technics and experience. He could be in the serviceable category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    gmor wrote:

If Ifeldi cleans up 30% of his errors under new coaching with improved technics and experience. He could be in the serviceable category.

Ford Escort is serviceable but your always looking for better, as a 1st rounder he better be more a Mustang.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It almost looks like Orlando Brown is making a case for himself to switch to gaurd. He's having a baaaaad day.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    gmor wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they gave Britt such a big contract. Looks like a big reach to me.

Ford Escort is serviceable but your always looking for better, as a 1st rounder he better be more a Mustang.

True but not like we have a proven RT on our roster or got plenty of cap space to sign one. Drafting a new guy works but not all rookies are ready in day 1. Escort or not I like to see what ifedi can do in this training camp.

If his problem was lack of quickness hopefully new technic would minimize his weakness, if his problem was mental, hopefully some training camp success could boost his confidence some.

Hey SVT escort sure could give mustang gt a run for money.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:It almost looks like Orlando Brown is making a case for himself to switch to gaurd. He's having a baaaaad day.

Absolutely appalling effort.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• toffee wrote:If we can get Fluker from the Giants, then a OL of Ifedi, Flucker, Britt, Roos, and Brown could be very serviceable. Pocic can fill in at multiple positions.

Any lineup with Ifedi in it is going to suffer. I think he's absolutely horrible and will be very surprised if he's a starter next season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    toffee wrote:If we can get Fluker from the Giants, then a OL of Ifedi, Flucker, Britt, Roos, and Brown could be very serviceable. Pocic can fill in at multiple positions.

Any lineup with Ifedi in it is going to suffer. I think he's absolutely horrible and will be very surprised if he's a starter next season.
    if ifedi can survive challenge from Fant, Fluker and Jones, he may have improved a lot and ready for prime time?

toffee
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information