OL movements and adjustments under Solari??

toffee

Reaction score
I suspect Joeckle won't be back, at least not for $8mil. LT and C position was set, the rest are fluid. Ifedi may face demotion now that Cable is gone, Fant is still fairly unknown. Will we have two new guards?

Thoughts?

original poster

Reaction score
There’s so so many possible variations, intrigued to hear people’s different takes, good topic.

I heard that the whole OL is expendable barring Brown so no doubt we see some kind of shuffle.

Will Ifedi be moved to guard?

Will Ifedi even be a starter?

Will Pocic be the C after a Britt trade/cut?

Do they try and draft early (again)?

Be very interesting to see how it pans out. I’m now totally confident in the coaching. No doubt the 5 starters in week 1 will still be the starters in week 6 excluding the obvious potential for injuries.

Boycie

Reaction score
toffee":3cqgc50i said:
I suspect Joeckle won't be back, at least not for $8mil. LT and C position was set, the rest are fluid. Ifedi may face demotion now that Cable is gone, Fant is still fairly unknown. Will we have two new guards?

Thoughts?

Has there been any update on Fant? Maybe he kicks over to the other side at RT?

original poster

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1v4jg4d2 said:
toffee":1v4jg4d2 said:

Thoughts?

Not that I’m aware of and there’s no doubt he will at least be in the conversation for a job at RT. He doesn’t stand a chance at LT, at least this year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2s8i5c4z said:
toffee":2s8i5c4z said:

Thoughts?

Fant's first season was a bit unreal, ie someone never played OL at any level starting as LT. In the end, he was the worst LT in the league. SO his achievement was remarkable, the result was bad, very bad. He constantly needed help so we had to sacrifice something to provision help that Fant needed.

He sat out the second season due to injury, at that moment, he is a total unknown. I don't think we should bet on him to make the team.

Boycie

Reaction score
toffee":3si9ts4f said:
Ace_Rimmer":3si9ts4f said:
toffee":3si9ts4f said:

Thoughts?

Fant's first season was a bit unreal, ie someone never played OL at any level starting as LT. In the end, he was the worst LT in the league. SO his achievement was remarkable, the result was bad, very bad. He constantly needed help so we had to sacrifice something to provision help that Fant needed.

He sat out the second season due to injury, at that moment, he is a total unknown. I don't think we should bet on him to make the team.

He was looking good in camp and pre season before he went down, and he also packed on weight, so I am hoping he can make it back to see what they have with this guy.

Own The West

Reaction score
On this site I read an article saying Schottenheimer likes mauling guards and more athletic types at the tackles.

To me that means we're a guard short, but:

LT - Brown
RG - tbd
C - Britt
LG - Ifedi
RT - All-Rookie Honoree Ethan Pocic

Would fit that bill.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":351t8i1s said:
He was looking good in camp and pre season before he went down

Which honestly means very little against Arizona's linebackers.

People should probably brace for Solari to take one look at Fant and label him a career backup. He's the same as Ifedi: all physicality and tools, no technique.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":kzkitgba said:
toffee":kzkitgba said:
Ace_Rimmer":kzkitgba said:
toffee":kzkitgba said:

Thoughts?

He was looking good in camp and pre season before he went down, and he also packed on weight, so I am hoping he can make it back to see what they have with this guy.

We shall see about Fant.

Last summer, I was a bit unsure about his weight gain .... without sacrificing quickness and mobility. I found it hard to wrap my arms around someone gaining 50+ lbs of muscle in a very short period of time (eating mama's food as it was labelled), and somehow those 50+lbs of muscle has no effect on his forms, and quickness.

Fant was a feel good story, we all wish him success. So far, he did make Cable looked like some genius ... for awhile.

gmor

Reaction score
Own The West":v05dphiy said:
On this site I read an article saying Schottenheimer likes mauling guards and more athletic types at the tackles.

LT - Brown
RG - tbd
C - Britt
LG - Ifedi

Would fit that bill.
I would go:

LT-Brown
LG- Odiambo
C- Britt
RG- Ifedi
RT-Pocic

Pocic should compete at C if Fant shows up.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
gmor":kq7d5gcl said:
Own The West":kq7d5gcl said:

LT - Brown
RG - tbd
C - Britt
LG - Ifedi

Would fit that bill.
I would go:

LT-Brown
LG- Odiambo
C- Britt
RG- Ifedi
RT-Pocic

IMHO, if we want this line to work we need to bring in a veteran at LG that has a mean streak and is a solid football player.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think to fully leverage Pocic, he ought to be our #1 backup, as he has the skill set to fill in at so many positions. Besides, he is still not big enough to be an every down linemen, may take a few years to bulk up.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Pocic was a center at LSU. You really think he has the footwork and quicks to be a RT?

Steve2222

Reaction score
There’s no way there’s not a few new pieces in the starting lineup going into 2018. We solidified a weakness in CB this year. Now all assets have to go to OL, Edge Rusher, and Sam LB

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
How about this curve ball........Maybe the master of the "Fant project" will want to make a trade for him. :snack:

Own The West

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":llfp745g said:
gmor":llfp745g said:
Own The West":llfp745g said:

LT - Brown
RG - tbd
C - Britt
LG - Ifedi

Would fit that bill.
I would go:

LT-Brown
LG- Odiambo
C- Britt
RG- Ifedi
RT-Pocic

IMHO, if we want this line to work we need to bring in a veteran at LG that has a mean streak and is a solid football player.

Agreed. Odi couldn't hold his ground in pass pro, let alone road grade.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Own The West":1dqxe5zy said:
seahawkfreak":1dqxe5zy said:
gmor":1dqxe5zy said:
Own The West":1dqxe5zy said:

LT - Brown
RG - tbd
C - Britt
LG - Ifedi

Would fit that bill.
I would go:

LT-Brown
LG- Odiambo
C- Britt
RG- Ifedi
RT-Pocic

Agreed. Odi couldn't hold his ground in pass pro, let alone road grade.

Got to wonder if Odi's problem was due to lack of strength or skill, on some tapes, looked like he lack lower body strength? On other tapes, his hand technique was inadequate.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't think you have to do anything with Fant at all. Leave him behind Brown and continue training. Brown is gone in a year anyway.

Roos showed up fairly well. He needs to compete at both gaurd spots. Unlike Joekel and Pocic, he actually posesses the strength to play the position. It goes without saying that Joekel is gone. He's a vet whos neithet strong enough nor athletic enough while also being a little slow mentally. Pocic needs to hit the weight room REALLY hard, not unlike Fant needed to.

Ifedi does have the makings of a guard. The false starts are a constant problem because he doesn't have the best kick drop to widen out on the speed rush and he tries to anticipate and jumps the gun.

LT - Brown, Fant, Beavers, Battle
LG - Roos, Odi, Beavers,
C - Britt, Hunt, Pocic
RG - Ifedi, Roos
RT - Pocic, Beavers, Battle, Tobin?

One thing I do know is that Joekel and Aboushi can't play gaurd sufficiently. They just flat out aren't strong enough.

It's possible you try Fant at RT, I guess, but the kid has played one year of football. Battle was said to been practicing at RT even though he seems more like LT type. Maybe he just doesn't do well on the left side like how Odi plays like he stepped on his shoelaces when he's on the right side. Beavers was sypposed to have LT starter potential out of college. Can he play on the right? In theory, a LT kicking down to LG isn't uncommon and he's got the body for it.

Is Tobin going to be here? He's yet another tackle in my opinion because again, he's light in the arse for guard, but I don't know his contract status and we did actually trade for him.

We need prospects at guard, IMO. We'll probably add 3 of them.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of chemistry Wilson and Britt have, but I'd like to see Pocic get some looks at Center, which he seemed good at at LSU. That would free up Britt to take a Guard position.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Any news on Jordan Roos? Did he play at all last season other that FB cameo? Off topic, for a backup, he is keep up appearance:
DLkxYIPVoAAqj0C
1ox3H GG0ANF6HaXZoETOJA