Pete Carroll Consolidating Control over team?

adeltaY

Reaction score
So, with these hires, I'm seeing this opinion a lot around twitter and reddit and am curious as to what y'all think.

The idea is that Pete hired people who won't question his decisions about philosophy/scheme and maybe personnel. Rex Ryan gave a great interview on Brock and Salk today and the story he used to describe Schotty highlighted his loyalty to the HC. To summarize, the Jets were playing Detroit and Rex said they should run the ball at least 40 times. Turns out, the Lions stacked the box and the Jets couldn't do it and ended up down 21-0. Rex asked Schotty what they were doing and he said he was committed to running 40 times like Rex said but that he also believed the Jets O could throw on the Lions. Rex got the offense together and asked them if they wanted to follow the original plan or win and they players naturally said win, so he told Schotty to change to the hurry-up and throw it and the jets forced OT and won.

This story shows how loyal Schotty is to the HC's plan. One huge plus was that Austin Davis said Schotty will bring us a consistent screen game, which we desperately need. With Ken Norton, the argument is similar. Pete has Ken in to motivate/inspire, but the defense truly belongs to Pete. Basically, Pete is going down doing it his way.

The question is, is this what's happening and if so, will it work? If they can fix the OL and get younger/healthier on defense, I don't see why not, BUT this is the opposite of the evolution many of us were calling for, myself included. Curiously, of the teams remaining in the playoffs, three run creative offenses. The Pats are obviously the Pats and they're always on the cutting edge, the Vikings under Shurmur do an excellent job of mixing things up, and the Eagles use motions, RPOs, cool WR sweeps, among many other creative concepts. The Jags are probably what Pete wants us to be. Not sure they're very creative, but they outmuscle the opposing defense with their RB and OL and smother opposing offenses with an incredible defense.

lobohawk

Reaction score
People are inserting these over the top reactions because they have no real insight, no actual relevant experience, or they’re paid for hyperbole. Yes, Pete wants more control than he had before when he picked the last staff.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I don't think it's a question of "control," per se. As Executive Vice President and Head Coach, Carroll already has as much control as any coach in the league.

It's more of a question of getting the right guys in here who are capable of executing his vision. There was only so long that they could blame the unbearably slow starts and lack of rushing attempts (20th each of the last two seasons) on the players' failure to convert 3rd downs.

Carroll will support his new coaches and give them every opportunity to succeed by winning championships.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":3gf9o3bc said:
So, with these hires, I'm seeing this opinion a lot around twitter and reddit and am curious as to what y'all think.

The idea is that Pete hired people who won't question his decisions about philosophy/scheme and maybe personnel. Rex Ryan gave a great interview on Brock and Salk today and the story he used to describe Schotty highlighted his loyalty to the HC. To summarize, the Jets were playing Detroit and Rex said they should run the ball at least 40 times. Turns out, the Lions stacked the box and the Jets couldn't do it and ended up down 21-0. Rex asked Schotty what they were doing and he said he was committed to running 40 times like Rex said but that he also believed the Jets O could throw on the Lions. Rex got the offense together and asked them if they wanted to follow the original plan or win and they players naturally said win, so he told Schotty to change to the hurry-up and throw it and the jets forced OT and won.

This story shows how loyal Schotty is to the HC's plan. One huge plus was that Austin Davis said Schotty will bring us a consistent screen game, which we desperately need. With Ken Norton, the argument is similar. Pete has Ken in to motivate/inspire, but the defense truly belongs to Pete. Basically, Pete is going down doing it his way.

The question is, is this what's happening and if so, will it work? If they can fix the OL and get younger/healthier on defense, I don't see why not, BUT this is the opposite of the evolution many of us were calling for, myself included. Curiously, of the teams remaining in the playoffs, three run creative offenses. The Pats are obviously the Pats and they're always on the cutting edge, the Vikings under Shurmur do an excellent job of mixing things up, and the Eagles use motions, RPOs, cool WR sweeps, among many other creative concepts. The Jags are probably what Pete wants us to be. Not sure they're very creative, but they outmuscle the opposing defense with their RB and OL and smother opposing offenses with an incredible defense.

Wasn't Rex at the meetings in the week prior on how they were going to attack the Lions, they should have made the game plan then, waiting to make that statement during the game is a failure on Rex's part, yes Brian was probably doing what he asked but also explains Ryans failure.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Does anyone think Cable got too much of a hold over the team?

Why else would Pete be doing this? And how did that even happen in the first place, because of the success of Lynch?

Weird.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chris, you are right in that Rex's strategy was wrong. Shotty stuck with it even when it wasn't working until Rex realized in game that it wasn't working and asked for a change.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Yes men or men he can trust. I believe the issues on offense V defense are two different things. Offense flat just needs a shake up, to much time equals to much comfort. Defense is Pete's baby, my guess is Richard had some different ideas, Pete gave him some rope and well, it didn't work out.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Who wants to be the first to march up to Ken Norton Jr. and tell him he’s a yes man?

Anyone?

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
sc85sis":3hft0mgg said:
Who wants to be the first to march up to Ken Norton Jr. and tell him he’s a yes man?

Anyone?

Pete already did probably lol

jake206

Reaction score
There were rumors (Jay Glazer) that Pete was going to retire very soon. So I think this is his last hurrah so to speak. Going out with guys he trusts more aka more experienced veteran coaching. It actually makes sense who he picked, no rookie coordinators need apply. After this year or maybe next, Paul Allen will be looking for a new coach.

toffee

Reaction score
jake206":jsvl5lx1 said:
There were rumors (Jay Glazer) that Pete was going to retire very soon. So I think this is his last hurrah so to speak. Going out with guys he trusts more aka more experienced veteran coaching. It actually makes sense who he picked, no rookie coordinators need apply. After this year or maybe next, Paul Allen will be looking for a new coach.

My thought exactly, Allen might also hinted an ultimatum: win now or out. Pete wants to out in his own way, he has no time or patience to fight, father, or debate a young coordinator with different ideas.

Can also understand from Allen's perspective, seeing 9ers and Lambs having young, new HC.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953080049317527552[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953130610242932736[/tweet]

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127698410303488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127389071994880[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953128347625664514[/tweet]

Danny Darko

Reaction score
The original Defense was all Carroll's scheme... I have no problem with him wanting a guy who runs what Pete wants run to a T in Norton.

Schotty isn't exciting, but he'll commit to running and he won't likely run a HB draw 90% of the time on 3rd and long.

People freaking out that the head coach is guys who will blindly run his philosophies, but what do you want out of a head coach? Just the head of human resources and challenge flag monkey?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
So we got one more year of Pete from the sounds of it and he's going out his way.

I love Pete so I'm hoping it goes the way he envisions but if the rumors are true, this next offseason is going to be very interesting and we didn't wade in deep with any young and upcoming future replacement types so once Petes had his kick at the can, sounds like new regime and whole new hires all around.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I dunno about this being all about Carroll hiring "Yes Men", him needing total "power and control" and all of that. That's one way of looking at things I suppose.

Another is the idea of assembling together a staff that actually appears to have a unified vision. These last couple of years especially, I don't know that I can honestly say that our coaching staff has had a unified philosophy behind the scenes. Sure Pete and the rest of the coaches would say the right things for the public ... but I don't know that I ever truly got the sense they were actually all on the same page. I feel more like Pete has gone out and assembled guys who truly DO actually have the same basic core values that he does:

Smash-Mouth, Run the Football Down People's Throats
Control the Line of Scrimmage
Once Bashed into Submission, Hit the Defense with Big Strikes
Aggressive Attack Mentality -- Being the Bully (both on defense and now on offense)

This coaching staff may not be overly "sexy" in terms of having the latest up and coming young hotshots, but in the end, I can see this group having far greater success than 2017. In the end, I believe they WILL end up guiding this Seahawks team back to the Playoffs in 2018.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1gz64ogy said:
Pete is here through 2019.

contractually, but if he decides to ride off into the sunset, that's his call.