Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Do we get any cap relief if Kam retires this offseason?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Not exactly sure how the salary cap plays out with a situation like this, but I was wondering if we will receive any cap relief with Kam retiring. Forgive me for being ignorant on this topic but I believe most of it is dead money, correct?
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• Hawks would save $2.08 million if he were to retire.....

but that is 100% not going to happen as his 2018 base salary of $6.8 million fully guarantees on 2/9/18, which is frankly already guaranteed for injury (along with $5.2 million of his 2019 base salary). He would be giving up $12 million to retire, or he could continue to come to work, not play and get paid $12 million. (assuming he can't ever play again)
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

• If he wants to retire but sticks around to get paid, could he make some sort of deal to retire and take a random coaching/mentoring job which pays the same amount but doesn't affect the cap?
    massari
    NET Veteran

• scrummymustard wrote:Hawks would save $2.08 million if he were to retire.....

but that is 100% not going to happen as his 2018 base salary of $6.8 million fully guarantees on 2/9/18, which is frankly already guaranteed for injury (along with $5.2 million of his 2019 base salary). He would be giving up $12 million to retire, or he could continue to come to work, not play and get paid $12 million. (assuming he can't ever play again)

So the team basically has no options regarding that money, it's just all essentially Kam's at this point.

Such a poor signing, ugh! Hindsight is 20/20 of course. I wonder if Pete's decision to resign him had anything to do with Kam's holdout in 2015, he should never let the players dictate business and I'm not saying he does fully, but it makes you wonder.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• scrummymustard wrote:Hawks would save $2.08 million if he were to retire.....

Why would Kam lose out on 12 mill if he were to retire, but we'd only save 2 mill?
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

• massari wrote:If he wants to retire but sticks around to get paid, could he make some sort of deal to retire and take a random coaching/mentoring job which pays the same amount but doesn't affect the cap?

I’m pretty sure that’s a huge NO-NO. The Hawks are stuck with that cap hit minus the 2+ million I believe.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• rossob wrote:
    scrummymustard wrote:Hawks would save $2.08 million if he were to retire.....

Why would Kam lose out on 12 mill if he were to retire, but we'd only save 2 mill?

Guaranteed money.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• My understanding is that if Kam retires then his contract is voided unless he were to come back. So the Hawks would not be on the hook for anything if he were to retire. However if he doesn't retire then the Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed portion of the contract.
    Most likely there will be some sort of settlement between the two parties were he receives some but not all of the guaranteed money and Kam retires.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:My understanding is that if Kam retires then his contract is voided unless he were to come back. So the Hawks would not be on the hook for anything if he were to retire. However if he doesn't retire then the Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed portion of the contract.
    Most likely there will be some sort of settlement between the two parties were he receives some but not all of the guaranteed money and Kam retires.

It's not like he would retire stay home and do nothing. He will take some type of job.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:My understanding is that if Kam retires then his contract is voided unless he were to come back. So the Hawks would not be on the hook for anything if he were to retire. However if he doesn't retire then the Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed portion of the contract.

I stand corrected, I read the previous comment as cut not retired, my bad.

That being said Kam isn’t going to retire with that much $$$ on the line.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• On Thursday, hours after the NFL announced the Seahawks will play in London for the first time on Oct. 14 against Oakland, Chancellor hosted a question-and-answer session with fans on his Twitter account. Renowned for his intensity and his guarded public profile, Chancellor wrote the goal of his Twitter Q-and-A was to open up, to be more accessible, at least in this case to the internet folk.
    So it was that one fan asked: “How do you feel about playing in the UK next year?”

Chancellor posted this response: "The travel will suck. But im grateful for the experience"

The travel will suck. But im grateful for the experience https://t.co/RCvg5l1drU
    — The Enforcer (@Kam_Chancellor) January 12, 2018

His expectation is that he will try to be there.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information