Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Okay I Admit...Delayed Depression Is Settling In

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Watching the divisional round this weekend I have become spoiled. I EXPECT to see the Seahawks in the divisional round. Win or lose, I EXPECT them to be one of the 4 NFC teams battling it out this weekend for a chance to make it to the NFC Championship.

Sigh. However, hope always springs eternal for all fans in the offseason.

I am cautiously optimistic for next season. Obviously a wait and see for the new coaching staff (once in place) but I think Carroll still has some life and success left in him. The messaging is still relevant I believe for most of the team.

Having JS still on staff leading the GM charge is absolutely huge to me. I think the dynamic between John and Pete is one of the most underrated elements of our team's success. If we can have these two for at least two more years I suspect the postseason will be a reality in both 2018 and 2019.

So much of success is based off of luck in this game. We all watch these playoffs. How many times do we see a HUGE play go for one team or the other based off of mere inches? I think the Seahawks were largely unlucky in 2017. It cost Bevell and Cable their jobs no doubt. With a little more luck we are 11-5 and not 9-7, in the playoffs as per usual and who knows at that point?

Yeah, but I digress. A little blue today wishing I was watching the Seahawks either in person at the Clink or on the TV.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I love you Todd, but we had too many problems to have a chance at winning it all this year, which is why I made some of the posts that I did between the loss to the Redskins and week 17. You have a real knack for eternal optimism despite factual evidence when it comes to the Seahawks, lol.

I feel great about next year, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a little more real-world analysis come next season rather than eternal optimism while we're literally watching the Seahawks drive off a cliff like this season turned out to be. :)

However, I was also a little blue watching the playoffs this weekend.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I see the teams today and say with a bit of creativity on offense we would be right in the mix, good year to get everyone healthy and rested to push hard next year, make our guys hungry and wanting to be in the dance.

Nothing but optimism really till performance says different. We have a OC that has not had the tools he has here to work with, if he truly is going to run a Air Coryell offense and we give him the tools it will be a fun run.

If Pete lets him Schotty will bring excitement back to the offense, using the whole field with motion and isolation plays to let guys be their best at what they do. The guys will be happy with the passing game and our running game will take off as well, McKissic will love him, Terry Metcalf size and ability, We will more then likely go back to a I formation as well with a Fullback that can catch the ball and block.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• EverydayImRusselin wrote:Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.

Because it's not all about the QB. All those teams have top scoring defenses - Jax -#2, Eagles -#4 and Vikes #1. I know a lot of people focus on having an 'elite' QB but it's been a while since an elite QB not named Brady has won a SB.

I hope we get back to playing elite defense and consistent offense (which includes a physical run game).
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

• LolaRox wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.

Because it's not all about the QB. All those teams have top scoring defenses - Jax -#2, Eagles -#4 and Vikes #1. I know a lot of people focus on having an 'elite' QB but it's been a while since an elite QB not named Brady has won a SB.

I hope we get back to playing elite defense and consistent offense (which includes a physical run game).

Not true at all Tell me how many Superbowls have not had a Manning, Brady or Rothlessberger in them over the past 15 years?
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• I feel you Aros. I was thinking to myself: "It doesn't feel like the playoffs without Russell Wilson running around out there doing his magical Russ things." You can't tell the story of the playoffs in recent years without the Seahawks and it's sad to see that end... for now.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Yeah Manning did a great job in 48 for Denver...........

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Yeah Manning did a great job in 48 for Denver...........

Considerably better than he did in 50. :mrgreen:
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:
    LolaRox wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.

Not true at all Tell me how many Superbowls have not had a Manning, Brady or Rothlessberger in them over the past 15 years?

I said WON a SB not IN it. And the last time Manning won his defense was #4 and he was no longer an elite QB. Last year Pats had #1 defense. Ben and ARod both had top defenses the last time they won #1 and #2 respectively.

The last time an elite QB won without an top 5 scoring defense (and not named Brady) may have been Brees in 2009.
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

• Although I wish my Hawks were still in it, I must say these past 2 weekends have been stress free and enjoyable to just sit back and watch the games with no rooting interest.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• The Hawks need to lose to actually win in the future.

Losing is sort of like "trimming the fat."

It can if done correctly, shed some problem areas.

All these teams that are currently still in playoffs have had some issues in the past and they have worked on correcting them.

The Seahawks are in this period of time where they can improve in some areas they desperately need to change.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• The issue to me in watching these games is quite simply, one of execution. We simply just shoot ourselves in foot time in again and again. Perhaps thats the reason for our new OC, we simply fail at that.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:I love you Todd, but we had too many problems to have a chance at winning it all this year, which is why I made some of the posts that I did between the loss to the Redskins and week 17. You have a real knack for eternal optimism despite factual evidence when it comes to the Seahawks, lol.

I feel great about next year, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a little more real-world analysis come next season rather than eternal optimism while we're literally watching the Seahawks drive off a cliff like this season turned out to be. :)

However, I was also a little blue watching the playoffs this weekend.

Oh my dear friend do not mistake my optimism for ignorance. :D

I had my eyes wide open this entire season. I saw the same things you did. I guess the difference is I tend to side with optimism to keep the troop's morale up. We have enough "reality checkers" on this site so there's little need for me to add to that song.

I can only speak for me personally and in that vain I can say optimism should not be confused with stupidity or "blinders syndrome". (For the record I am not suggesting you are saying that about me or others).

I want whatever needs fixing to be fixed. If something is broken, fix it! My love for the Seahawks can only be tempered by my expectations for them to field a team that is living up to their potential, and we can all agree that that was NOT the case this season. Injuries, scheme, coaching all played a roll in what turned out to be a season that derailed.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I look at it basically this way, we have trended slightly the wrong direction 3 years in a row ever since the failed play, I use that year as we should have really won we had all the pieces to do it.

Rather then wait till 6 - 8 or there abouts and a real crash we are at a point where we can make changes and maybe upswing again, possibly not next year but see improvements as our young guys learn to win and succeed. They will do it hopefully with a bit more dynamics on offense and a different look I hope.

This may be painful, some of our veteran players may be let go, they have become older and when healthy can still bring game but are healthy less time then they are hurt. That's when you try to get a return on them with trades to teams that think they are a piece away for a season while we build for another run.

Why this off season is going to be pivotal for not just Pete but John and the staff he puts together. We can't hold on to things too long or not get our draft and F.A. we sign wrong.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Aros wrote:Oh my dear friend do not mistake my optimism for ignorance. :D

I had my eyes wide open this entire season. I saw the same things you did. I guess the difference is I tend to side with optimism to keep the troop's morale up. We have enough "reality checkers" on this site so there's little need for me to add to that song.

I can only speak for me personally and in that vain I can say optimism should not be confused with stupidity or "blinders syndrome". (For the record I am not suggesting you are saying that about me or others).

I want whatever needs fixing to be fixed. If something is broken, fix it! My love for the Seahawks can only be tempered by my expectations for them to field a team that is living up to their potential, and we can all agree that that was NOT the case this season. Injuries, scheme, coaching all played a roll in what turned out to be a season that derailed.

Didn't mean to imply ignorance, nor do I think it, just FYI. :irishdrinkers:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I feel your pain. Knowing Brady is watching the SB on TV would make me feel a bit better.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:The issue to me in watching these games is quite simply, one of execution. We simply just shoot ourselves in foot time in again and again. Perhaps thats the reason for our new OC, we simply fail at that.

......like........"Offsides"?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Didn't mean to imply ignorance, nor do I think it, just FYI. :irishdrinkers:

I know you didn't..I tried to clarify that...Just random thoughts is all... :)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I really appreciated all the different blocking schemes used by offences when running the ball this weekend. I also appreciated the lack of complete whiffs by linemen.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:The Hawks need to lose to actually win in the future.

Losing is sort of like "trimming the fat."

It can if done correctly, shed some problem areas.

All these teams that are currently still in playoffs have had some issues in the past and they have worked on correcting them.

The Seahawks are in this period of time where they can improve in some areas they desperately need to change.

Exactly what I was saying after we got eliminated from the playoffs. I am a firm believer that people learn more from their failures than their successes.

Had we limped into the playoffs most likely the necessary changes that needed to be made, and so far are currently being made, might not have been made as a tiny success would have overshadowed them.

We will come out stronger from this. How soon rests on JS and PC.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• I am a firm believer that people learn more from their failures than their successes.

Someone wise once said "the greatest teacher, failure is"
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Definitely sucks watching all these great playoff games and moments, and not getting to participate as a Hawks fan.

Hopefully our coaches and players feel the same and get to work.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• AF_BASS_MAN wrote:Exactly what I was saying after we got eliminated from the playoffs. I am a firm believer that people learn more from their failures than their successes.

Had we limped into the playoffs most likely the necessary changes that needed to be made, and so far are currently being made, might not have been made as a tiny success would have overshadowed them.

We will come out stronger from this. How soon rests on JS and PC.

Agreed on all points my friend.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Alright. I'll chime in. I'll fully admit -- here's been my problem:

As I've taken a look at these NFC playoff games, the predominant thoughts that have been going through my mind are:

"Really? Seriously?!? THIS is the best that the NFC has to offer? [Whatever team it is, it's like] We beat teams like this ... with regularity. We're WAY better than these guys."

[Realizes deep down inside just how far the mighty have truly fallen] "Oh, wait. Not this season." [Depression sets in]

Thoughts turning to the Seahawks not being in the playoffs: "This is not right. This is just flat out wrong."

"So, how about those Mariners? Oh ... wait." [Nothing to get excited about their either]

"So, what about these coaching changes ... and how about the NFL Draft?"

That's about for it is for me in a nutshell.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• LOL, exactly.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I had a football depression all year long.
    I avoided radio, coming here, rewatching games on tv, breaking down all 22 vids. It was a totally off year for me.
    I don't know what it was......

But I can tell you that I snapped directly out of it when Bevell and Cable got the hook.

I'm ready to go again. It's a really wierd feeling.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• I will feel this exact way if I have to wake up to another pats sb win. but honestly this was just flat out a case of not deserving jack squat.

should have fired DB immediately after 49.

should have worked out kams deal immediately or found the common ground instead of the holdout.

should have changed out the long snapper immediately last year, which could have kept Hausch in a groove and made him a must sign.

should have cut ties with lacy by about week 3 at the latest.

should have already dropped rawls by now.

obviously drafted a complete moron in malik McD. Could reasonably argue prompted the panic button signing of Richardson, which is costly. Hopefully the talent level pays the bill on this, but that's going to take a lot.

We made our bed with pete and JS, and now we're lying in it. Great to get 48, but the humanity and mistakes compounding were bound to doom us.

Barring a pats win, i'm actually happy someone will get their 1st. made a great impact on my life, and i wish for that joy for the fanbase (hopefully) about to experience it.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

• I can't lie when I say the Seahawks needed a break from the post-season. It gives the players a full year to recover from the aches and pains and I hope they get that fire and hunger back again. The stress of watching Seahawks playoff football was getting to be too much. I don't envy the fans of the losing teams and the hangover they have today.

I think this sums up the 2017 season.

"We been kicking other peoples asses for so long, I figured it's time we got ours kicked."

-Sgt. Elias, Platoon
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    "Really? Seriously?!? THIS is the best that the NFC has to offer? [Whatever team it is, it's like] We beat teams like this ... with regularity. We're WAY better than these guys." .

No you're right.........I think I even read this morning that over 80% of NFL games come down to the 4th quarter.

Just tells you that the little things matter;

1. Injuries
    2. Focus
    3. Nonsense
    4. Penalties
    5. Preparation
    6. Execution

Obviously the big things like coaching, playcalling and talent also matter. But if you're pinpointing as to why we're sitting at home this year and not these other teams you say aren't really that much better than us, if at all?

Choose any or all of the things I listed. It ALL matters.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:
    "Really? Seriously?!? THIS is the best that the NFC has to offer? [Whatever team it is, it's like] We beat teams like this ... with regularity. We're WAY better than these guys." .

No you're right.........I think I even read this morning that over 80% of NFL games come down to the 4th quarter.

Just tells you that the little things matter;

1. Injuries
    2. Focus
    3. Nonsense
    4. Penalties
    5. Preparation
    6. Execution

Obviously the big things like coaching, playcalling and talent also matter. But if you're pinpointing as to why we're sitting at home this year and not these other teams you say aren't really that much better than us, if at all?

Choose any or all of the things I listed. It ALL matters.

Discipline is the key component to leadership at any level.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information