Okay I Admit...Delayed Depression Is Settling In

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Watching the divisional round this weekend I have become spoiled. I EXPECT to see the Seahawks in the divisional round. Win or lose, I EXPECT them to be one of the 4 NFC teams battling it out this weekend for a chance to make it to the NFC Championship.

Sigh. However, hope always springs eternal for all fans in the offseason.

I am cautiously optimistic for next season. Obviously a wait and see for the new coaching staff (once in place) but I think Carroll still has some life and success left in him. The messaging is still relevant I believe for most of the team.

Having JS still on staff leading the GM charge is absolutely huge to me. I think the dynamic between John and Pete is one of the most underrated elements of our team's success. If we can have these two for at least two more years I suspect the postseason will be a reality in both 2018 and 2019.

So much of success is based off of luck in this game. We all watch these playoffs. How many times do we see a HUGE play go for one team or the other based off of mere inches? I think the Seahawks were largely unlucky in 2017. It cost Bevell and Cable their jobs no doubt. With a little more luck we are 11-5 and not 9-7, in the playoffs as per usual and who knows at that point?

Yeah, but I digress. A little blue today wishing I was watching the Seahawks either in person at the Clink or on the TV.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I love you Todd, but we had too many problems to have a chance at winning it all this year, which is why I made some of the posts that I did between the loss to the Redskins and week 17. You have a real knack for eternal optimism despite factual evidence when it comes to the Seahawks, lol.

I feel great about next year, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a little more real-world analysis come next season rather than eternal optimism while we're literally watching the Seahawks drive off a cliff like this season turned out to be. :)

However, I was also a little blue watching the playoffs this weekend.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see the teams today and say with a bit of creativity on offense we would be right in the mix, good year to get everyone healthy and rested to push hard next year, make our guys hungry and wanting to be in the dance.

Nothing but optimism really till performance says different. We have a OC that has not had the tools he has here to work with, if he truly is going to run a Air Coryell offense and we give him the tools it will be a fun run.

If Pete lets him Schotty will bring excitement back to the offense, using the whole field with motion and isolation plays to let guys be their best at what they do. The guys will be happy with the passing game and our running game will take off as well, McKissic will love him, Terry Metcalf size and ability, We will more then likely go back to a I formation as well with a Fullback that can catch the ball and block.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.

LolaRox

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":35tbdrpq said:
Watching the games this weekend, it's apparent to me, the Seahawks lacked that IT factor this year. Look at the championship games. Bortles, Foles, Keenum?? How can the Hawks miss the playoffs and those 3 QBs are playing for a SB berth. I think the shake up was necessary. Hopeful it will pay dividends next year and we can be sitting here rooting to avoid the 10am playoff game next year.

Because it's not all about the QB. All those teams have top scoring defenses - Jax -#2, Eagles -#4 and Vikes #1. I know a lot of people focus on having an 'elite' QB but it's been a while since an elite QB not named Brady has won a SB.

I hope we get back to playing elite defense and consistent offense (which includes a physical run game).

sdog1981

Reaction score
LolaRox":3r7vmbgz said:
EverydayImRusselin":3r7vmbgz said:

Because it's not all about the QB. All those teams have top scoring defenses - Jax -#2, Eagles -#4 and Vikes #1. I know a lot of people focus on having an 'elite' QB but it's been a while since an elite QB not named Brady has won a SB.

I hope we get back to playing elite defense and consistent offense (which includes a physical run game).

Not true at all Tell me how many Superbowls have not had a Manning, Brady or Rothlessberger in them over the past 15 years?

adeltaY

Reaction score
I feel you Aros. I was thinking to myself: "It doesn't feel like the playoffs without Russell Wilson running around out there doing his magical Russ things." You can't tell the story of the playoffs in recent years without the Seahawks and it's sad to see that end... for now.

LolaRox

Reaction score
sdog1981":2wn9r4a6 said:
LolaRox":2wn9r4a6 said:
EverydayImRusselin":2wn9r4a6 said:

Not true at all Tell me how many Superbowls have not had a Manning, Brady or Rothlessberger in them over the past 15 years?

I said WON a SB not IN it. And the last time Manning won his defense was #4 and he was no longer an elite QB. Last year Pats had #1 defense. Ben and ARod both had top defenses the last time they won #1 and #2 respectively.

The last time an elite QB won without an top 5 scoring defense (and not named Brady) may have been Brees in 2009.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Although I wish my Hawks were still in it, I must say these past 2 weekends have been stress free and enjoyable to just sit back and watch the games with no rooting interest.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The Hawks need to lose to actually win in the future.

Losing is sort of like "trimming the fat."

It can if done correctly, shed some problem areas.

All these teams that are currently still in playoffs have had some issues in the past and they have worked on correcting them.

The Seahawks are in this period of time where they can improve in some areas they desperately need to change.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
The issue to me in watching these games is quite simply, one of execution. We simply just shoot ourselves in foot time in again and again. Perhaps thats the reason for our new OC, we simply fail at that.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qr5e9wh said:
I love you Todd, but we had too many problems to have a chance at winning it all this year, which is why I made some of the posts that I did between the loss to the Redskins and week 17. You have a real knack for eternal optimism despite factual evidence when it comes to the Seahawks, lol.

I feel great about next year, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a little more real-world analysis come next season rather than eternal optimism while we're literally watching the Seahawks drive off a cliff like this season turned out to be. :)

However, I was also a little blue watching the playoffs this weekend.

Oh my dear friend do not mistake my optimism for ignorance. :D

I had my eyes wide open this entire season. I saw the same things you did. I guess the difference is I tend to side with optimism to keep the troop's morale up. We have enough "reality checkers" on this site so there's little need for me to add to that song.

I can only speak for me personally and in that vain I can say optimism should not be confused with stupidity or "blinders syndrome". (For the record I am not suggesting you are saying that about me or others).

I want whatever needs fixing to be fixed. If something is broken, fix it! My love for the Seahawks can only be tempered by my expectations for them to field a team that is living up to their potential, and we can all agree that that was NOT the case this season. Injuries, scheme, coaching all played a roll in what turned out to be a season that derailed.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it basically this way, we have trended slightly the wrong direction 3 years in a row ever since the failed play, I use that year as we should have really won we had all the pieces to do it.

Rather then wait till 6 - 8 or there abouts and a real crash we are at a point where we can make changes and maybe upswing again, possibly not next year but see improvements as our young guys learn to win and succeed. They will do it hopefully with a bit more dynamics on offense and a different look I hope.

This may be painful, some of our veteran players may be let go, they have become older and when healthy can still bring game but are healthy less time then they are hurt. That's when you try to get a return on them with trades to teams that think they are a piece away for a season while we build for another run.

Why this off season is going to be pivotal for not just Pete but John and the staff he puts together. We can't hold on to things too long or not get our draft and F.A. we sign wrong.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Aros":1mvz3gs5 said:
Oh my dear friend do not mistake my optimism for ignorance. :D

I had my eyes wide open this entire season. I saw the same things you did. I guess the difference is I tend to side with optimism to keep the troop's morale up. We have enough "reality checkers" on this site so there's little need for me to add to that song.

I can only speak for me personally and in that vain I can say optimism should not be confused with stupidity or "blinders syndrome". (For the record I am not suggesting you are saying that about me or others).

I want whatever needs fixing to be fixed. If something is broken, fix it! My love for the Seahawks can only be tempered by my expectations for them to field a team that is living up to their potential, and we can all agree that that was NOT the case this season. Injuries, scheme, coaching all played a roll in what turned out to be a season that derailed.
Didn't mean to imply ignorance, nor do I think it, just FYI. :irishdrinkers:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Knowing Brady is watching the SB on TV would make me feel a bit better.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Bobblehead":9y1grfap said:
The issue to me in watching these games is quite simply, one of execution. We simply just shoot ourselves in foot time in again and again. Perhaps thats the reason for our new OC, we simply fail at that.

......like........"Offsides"?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lvk3sqf said:
Didn't mean to imply ignorance, nor do I think it, just FYI. :irishdrinkers:

I know you didn't..I tried to clarify that...Just random thoughts is all... :)

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I really appreciated all the different blocking schemes used by offences when running the ball this weekend. I also appreciated the lack of complete whiffs by linemen.